Scorched Grand Hero Battle: Valter, the Moonstone

SatsumaFSoysoy

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

You're looking at it the wrong way.

Aside from Wyvern Knights in FE8, every class that's referred to as a "wyvern rider" class in English is referred to as a "dragon knight" class in Japanese. So all the other "wyvern" riding characters are depicted in Heroes as riding dragons, while Valter, due to being an "actual" wyvern rider, has an actual wyvern.

Or to stick to the English nomenclature of calling them "wyverns", we could say Valter rides a snake-wyvern, while every other character in the FE series that typically rides wyverns rides a dragon-wyvern instead. (Cormag can promote to Wyvern Knight and ride a snake-wyvern, but his base class, Wyvern Rider, uses a dragon-wyvern.)

Ah, well that's not clear at all in the English versions.  I mean, SS has more snakelike wyvrens but even Wyvren Lords and Riders look snaklike.  In fact, Valter's dragon resembles the Wyvren Rider dragon more than the Dragon Rider (this wording is getting confusing), due to the four legs.

Either way, they didn't have to do this.  They could have just as easily given him the normal dragon shape and ignored the fact that wyvrens in SS look different than wyvrens in the other games.  I'm happy they didn't.

Edited by Lushen

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Either way, they didn't have to do this.  They could have just as easily given him the normal dragon shape and ignored the fact that wyvrens in SS look different than wyvrens in the other games.  I'm happy they didn't.

No, they did have to do this. FE8's wyverns are very distinct from the flying dragons that other units use.

The Japanese versions of the games make it very clear. Every single riding dragon in the series is referred to in Japanese as a "dragon" whereas the wyverns used by FE8's Wyvern Knights are referred to as "wyverns".

13 minutes ago, Lushen said:

In fact, Valter's dragon resembles the Wyvren Rider dragon more than the Dragon Rider (this wording is getting confusing), due to the four legs.

That's because Valter doesn't have a dragon. He has a wyvern. His class is Wyvern Knight (which uses a wyvern), not Wyvern Rider (which uses a dragon) or Wyvern Lord (which uses a dragon).

Finally. More fe8 rep.

i was clearly out of it yesterday. I heard loptyr when I watched the stream O_O (I was busy, go easy on me >_<)

dors anyone know his skill set, by chance, or is it still speculation? (Or did I miss it in the stream?)

5 minutes ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

Finally. More fe8 rep.

i was clearly out of it yesterday. I heard loptyr when I watched the stream O_O (I was busy, go easy on me >_<)

dors anyone know his skill set, by chance, or is it still speculation? (Or did I miss it in the stream?)

It's in the stream and the topic post.

6 hours ago, Othin said:

I forgot about Myrrh! Given that Eirika and Ephraim are already in the game, I'd been guessing Seth/Innes/L'arachel would be three of the characters in the first full FE8 banner, and Myrrh would round that out perfectly.

They can always pull a SoV and make two 3-character banners.

Eirika's Army: Seth, Vanessa, Moulder, Amelia or Innes 

Ephraim's Army: Myrrh, L'Arachel, Duessel or Tana

Why did they choose Valter? I only played Sacred Stones up to like 6 chapters, so I don't know if there's anything special about him or not.

6 minutes ago, Logos said:

Why did they choose Valter? I only played Sacred Stones up to like 6 chapters, so I don't know if there's anything special about him or not.

He's a popular villain. I think Lyon was the most obvious choice for an FE8 GHB, and I've certainly not been alone in hoping for him to get one, but in retrospect, Valter is the most appropriate non-Lyon pick.

8 minutes ago, Logos said:

He's a popular SS villain. You should probably read up on him if you don't mind spoilers on the wiki. 

11 minutes ago, Logos said:

I mean if you only played 6 chapters he's the only villain your party comes into contact with at that point.

2 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

He's a popular SS villain. You should probably read up on him if you don't mind spoilers on the wiki. 

So popularity, and one of the major villains in Sacred Stones is why he was picked. I see then. I was going to read upon on him as well, but I was just curious why exactly he was chosen.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

He's a popular villain. I think Lyon was the most obvious choice for an FE8 GHB, and I've certainly not been alone in hoping for him to get one, but in retrospect, Valter is the most appropriate non-Lyon pick.

I would prefer Lyon over him too, especially after reading the story of Lyon, which is also why I need to finish Sacred Stones.

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

I mean if you only played 6 chapters he's the only villain your party comes into contact with at that point.

I'm not sure which chapter then lol, because I've seen more villains than just him.

10 minutes ago, Othin said:

I could see them holding off on Lyon until the other major GHB candidates come out to preserve interest in SS GHBs.  If we got Lyon first, we'd stop talking about SS GHBs.

@Logos, before chapter 1.

Edited by Lushen

Lyon is probably going to be a Grand Hero Battle. Same could happen to the other generals like Selena, Glen, Duessel, Riev and Caellach. Maybe even Vigarde as well. 

@Lushen Do you mean that out of all the people in Grado that are working for the evil lurking behind the Emperor, Lyon Valter is the only true intentionally evil villain?

Edited by Logos
Lyon looks like Valter

4 minutes ago, Logos said:

@Lushen Do you mean that out of all the people in Grado that are working for the evil lurking behind the Emperor, Lyon is the only true intentionally evil villain?

No.  Of the major villains, Caellach and Riev are probably the only intentional evil ones.

I was saying Lyon is by far the most popular Villain.

edit:  Just saw your edit.  Valter was apparently always a bad guy, but he wasn't pure evil until being corrupted by his cursed spear.

Edited by Lushen

11 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Lyon is probably going to be a Grand Hero Battle. Same could happen to the other generals like Selena, Glen, Duessel, Riev and Caellach. Maybe even Vigarde as well.

I like Vigarde's design and he's got threatening stats as a boss, but something about him rings a little... hollow?

I can't see Riev being a GHB- evil old magician men have been sidestepped so far, no Gharnef, no Jedah, no Nergal. I guess the folks behind Heroes doesn't want to make the "G" in GHB stand for Geriatric- it wouldn't sell so well.

Tigereye is good, and so are Obsidian and Fluorspar, but Sunflorastone is dull- his only real accomplishment is being a little skewed on one side (on the other he doesn't even appear).

22 minutes ago, Logos said:

So popularity, and one of the major villains in Sacred Stones is why he was picked. I see then. I was going to read upon on him as well, but I was just curious why exactly he was chosen.

He gets a lot of meaningful screen-time with a lot of different characters, and has an unrepentantly psychotic/serial killer personality and appearance that is just plain creepy and loved for that reason. He also gets some backstory in a support between Duessel and Cormag, it's generally liked, but I have heard at least one person say it detracts from him.

@Interdimensional Observer: Well, I can see Vigarde as a possible Garm user and FEH could always use more armored units. Riev is unlikely but he's one of the generals so there's that. Out of all of them, Selena would probably be the most welcome due to her niche as a mage cav unit. 

1 hour ago, Lord-Zero said:

@Interdimensional Observer: Well, I can see Vigarde as a possible Garm user and FEH could always use more armored units. Riev is unlikely but he's one of the generals so there's that. Out of all of them, Selena would probably be the most welcome due to her niche as a mage cav unit. 

Selena is also pretty popular. Of the Six Generals, she's the one I remember seeing the most calls for inclusion in the game, even more than Valter. Although she does have the funny issue of sharing a name with a character already in the game. Different titles will differentiate them, but it would probably still lead to some confused people wondering if they're the same character somehow.

13 minutes ago, Othin said:

Selena is also pretty popular. Of the Six Generals, she's the one I remember seeing the most calls for inclusion in the game, even more than Valter. Although she does have the funny issue of sharing a name with a character already in the game. Different titles will differentiate them, but it would probably still lead to some confused people wondering if they're the same character somehow.

They do have the precedent of 'seasonal characters don't have different names', and also the fact that Altean Prince: Marth and Enigmatic Blade: Marth are different people, but I think that your concern of 'the two are related' is going to come into being... unless more people than we imagine know Sacred Stones.

What are their respective JP names?

10 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Selena the Red has the following Japanese name: セレナ. Nintendo of Japan translated it as Serena- but the "r and l are one thing" in Japanese means you could call her Selena just the same.

Selena the Blonde's official artwork has her name as Celina, but the Japanese characters used are different.

Selena.jpg

11 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

They do have the precedent of 'seasonal characters don't have different names', and also the fact that Altean Prince: Marth and Enigmatic Blade: Marth are different people, but I think that your concern of 'the two are related' is going to come into being... unless more people than we imagine know Sacred Stones.

Selena (FE14) is named Luna ルーナ (rūna).

Selena (FE8) is named Celina セライナ (seraina).

Severa is named Selena セレナ (serena).

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Selena the Red has the following Japanese name: セレナ. Nintendo of Japan translated it as Serena- but the "r and l are one thing" in Japanese means you could call her Selena just the same.

セレナ is actually Severa; her Fates name is ルーナ (Luna).

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Selena (FE14) is named Luna ルーナ (rūna).

Selena (FE8) is named Celina セライナ (seraina).

Severa is named Selena セレナ (serena).

At the very least, since we're probably getting Selena (FE8) before Arthur (FE4), this'll be the one we have to do the convincing on.

And as much as I clamour for Magvel, I would like to point out that Jugdral has only ever had the sibling banners too. They just got three pairs over two banners instead of one pair.

3 hours ago, Lushen said:

No.  Of the major villains, Caellach and Riev are probably the only intentional evil ones.

I don’t think Caellach is evil. He’s ambitious and greedy, yes, but not necessarily evil.

4 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I don’t think Caellach is evil. He’s ambitious and greedy, yes, but not necessarily evil.

didn't he outright kill joshua's mother or something

8 minutes ago, Raven said:

didn't he outright kill joshua's mother or something

Yep, and he kills Aias as well, supposing you don't do the job yourself in Eirika's chapter 13. Their dialogue right before it even gives the impression he was hoping Eirika's forces (or Rausten's knights) would do the job for him.

Edited by Ildanach