Interest Check - Fire Emblem: Realms of the Cosmic Mirror

NoahStratos

I wrote up this roleplay earlier this month… in another site I won’t mention, with the reputation of Fire Emblem Fates… It got the cold shoulder after two previous attempts, so I’m trying out to see if this roleplay could work in a place like this.

Third time’s the charm, right? But there’s a lot of differences with this roleplay in particular that might not coincide with roleplays that are more common here. Taking bold actions can be risky sometimes.

Edit: Google Docs file to help with how this roleplay works. - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vhy_SjBaV2bi2AYKz7-gzgHoAxV909mVC4_p_etclwQ/edit?usp=sharing

The Basics as to What’s Here and What’s Absent

Spoiler

Canon Fire Emblem characters fight enemy units derived from other mediums (anime, video games, etc.)
Maps and battles function like FE.

FE stats are present.
No Trinity of Magic is present, all tomes are grouped into one category in the weapon triangle.
Rescues are not present.
Uses, levels, stat growths, experience, weapon ranks, and supports are absent.
Consumables stack in response to complete absence of uses.
Single RN used for CRT and skills. Two-RN is used for HIT.
Most calculations are based on Awakening’s values and formulas.
Staves are nerfed formulas based on their Fates versions.

What's so different about this?

1. OCs and original settings are not integral to the story. This roleplay is more about a what-if scenario between foreign forces that plays out like a typical Fire Emblem skirmish.

I’ve experienced writing and conceptualizing OCs before. It’s where a writer puts OCs that make the concept of "Sturgeon’s Law" stand out even more. The game is basically Massive Multiplayer Crossover meets strategy RPG, in this case, Fire Emblem. I currently have no intentions of integrating an original generation into a storyline where a crisis between fantasy media is the main idea. Don’t expect a new Jake or Anna from a non-canon continent/kingdom/nation/etc. here.

2. Without OCs, what will happen to sign-ups? How can one participate in a battle?

Sign-ups are much shorter due to the limits a character has with pre-determined stats and inventories. They’re all similar to rentals, in short.

Character availability varies between each battle. (from 5 up to low teens)

The available field other than username and character chosen: are stat variations (will be now referred to as Boon and Bane in this and the sign-up topic.)

Boons and Bane are a simple +Boon and -Bane format based on the corresponding stat.

For example:

Boon: +HP
Bane: -STR

This raises the character’s HP by x1.1 and lowers the character’s STR by x0.9.

If you want a neutral variation, write “Neutral” for both fields.

3. How will dialogue be handled in this roleplay?

Roleplay is based on a third-person limited point of view. Players are only allowed dialogue for their player unit while the GM controls NPC and enemy units.

All actions done in the map must be bolded.

4. How will maps be handled and detailed?

I’m yet using another spreadsheet to handle maps. I’m currently not a very good digital artist, so the terrain detail is limited to color coding, but sprites will luckily be present. Chess-based coordinates are in use.

5. What does the game master do during a battle other than dialogue for enemies and NPC?

The game master (that’s me) will detail battle calculations, turns, phases, etc.

If a battle’s objectives are completely fulfilled, an objective’s failure causes a player loss, or all the player units are killed in battle, I’ll detail results and notify players of upcoming battles (It might take from a day to a week to prepare.)

6. How do the canon Fire Emblem characters experience foreign worlds and their characters?

If a Fire Emblem character such as Chrom has, in physical form (they used dialogue once), appeared in an officially-sanctioned crossover featuring the enemy or NPC units from that piece of work, they have knowledge of that work in question. Robin may know about Meta Knight, but he will only have a blind experience of something like Middle-Earth, where he’ll scratch his head at the concept of hobbits.

Characters further gain knowledge about other worlds every time they go into battle.

I don’t have much left to say at this moment so I’ll leave the story leading up to the first battle here (it’s Pokémon themed).

Spoiler

A millennium after the war of the Askr and Emblian nations, massive distortions of spacetime rose from the leftover power the Tempest Trials had caused. In Ylisse, Olivia mysteriously disappeared at the hands of a dragon. Her son and the others are trying to look for her. When Olivia herself woke up, she was standing in an unfamiliar place. Had it really been from a known tribe as the rumors said this whole time? When she realized it was a place that Anna described to her before Robin and Lucina went on vacation, she looks around and spots Celica standing right next to her. Something had turned Ylisse and the past version of Valm into an anomaly. They looked up and saw a Salamence snarling down at them.”

If you have any further questions about the roleplay, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Edited by NoahStratos
Super relaxed signups gap - now only 1 person needs to be ready to start the signups

7 hours ago, ElectiveToast said:

So explain to me how to make an OC for this roleplay. 

The short answer, no, you can't. The long answer, you might not have read the information in the first post correctly, and if you really want to use an OC in this roleplay, this is a much different beast and I feel like this RP might not be for you. Characters are limited to established characters with a set amount of data and prospective players should be able to write established character as they see themselves in a FE battle. When the sign-ups sheets come up eventually, it will be a much smaller form than most remember. I tried to include more fields to the sign-ups, but realized there were some holes with them (Critical and Avoid skills and stuff like the Falchion which was Rank E in Awakening and others). Also, I do not plan on creating a map for a new, original continent as the roleplay is just battle after battle with short story-based intervals in-between.

I'll be editing the first post shortly to include a Google Docs in case any more questions like this show up.

2 hours ago, NoahStratos said:

The short answer, no, you can't. The long answer, you might not have read the information in the first post correctly, and if you really want to use an OC in this roleplay, this is a much different beast and I feel like this RP might not be for you. Characters are limited to established characters with a set amount of data and prospective players should be able to write established character as they see themselves in a FE battle. When the sign-ups sheets come up eventually, it will be a much smaller form than most remember. I tried to include more fields to the sign-ups, but realized there were some holes with them (Critical and Avoid skills and stuff like the Falchion which was Rank E in Awakening and others). Also, I do not plan on creating a map for a new, original continent as the roleplay is just battle after battle with short story-based intervals in-between.

I'll be editing the first post shortly to include a Google Docs in case any more questions like this show up.

Ah, ok. I'll play Lon'qu from Awakening. 

23 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

I mean, I'm not sure I got everything, but if possible I'd like to play all 6 or some of the Warriors of Light from the first Final Fantasy.

There are two problems with your request. One, I'm limiting character to a select number of canon Fire Emblem characters unless it's every 12th battle. Two, this sounds like you want to control multiple characters at the same time in a single battle. One user only gets one character per battle. Multiple characters must be separated. Three controlled characters should be split into three separate battles, for instance.

You can check the Google Docs link for more info.

Spoiler

Keep in mind the first battle roster is not final, as I'll be swapping out Serra for Lucius soon.