If the next game had a new cultural "theme" what should it be?

On 11/3/2017 at 12:04 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Africa. At least as a side country and neutral or allied nation. Two main reasons: first, it would be a cool way to get black characters into a Fire Emblem setting, and second, I just listened to the Japanese lion king musical soundtrack and after listening to the stampede I just need to know what kind of map and battle themes IS could do with these instruments:

I’m not so sure about Fire Emblem: We wuz Kangz, but I’ll support it for the memes. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ElectiveToast said:

I’m not so sure about Fire Emblem: We wuz Kangz, but I’ll support it for the memes. 

Oh come on, an African nation as one of the countries in a Fire Emblem world would be cool! Ancient African cultures taken to fantasy extremes? Picture it: their cavalry could be axe and lance users riding fucking lions.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oh come on, an African nation as one of the countries in a Fire Emblem world would be cool! Ancient African cultures taken to fantasy extremes? Picture it: their cavalry could be axe and lance users riding fucking lions.

They're more likely to be riding camels.

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

They're more likely to be riding camels.

I'm assuming you mean in real life, because when we have flying horses and dragons, I'm pretty sure Lions would make a better fantasy game mount. Though camels could be good too...

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

I'm assuming you mean in real life, because when we have flying horses and dragons, I'm pretty sure Lions would make a better fantasy game mount. Though camels could be good too...

Camels would be the natural replacement for horses in a FE game where the medieval European setting is exchanged for an African one.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Why chosing one when you can have both? Obviously camel ryders and lion ryders would be the promotions of dromedary ryders, duh.

Not something I'd want or expect of the next game, but I'm hoping we get another shot at doing Japan in a future game. Outside of its classes Hoshido didn't really get a chance to strut its theme. We got one chapter that showed us peacetime in Hoshido, where Corrin and his siblings are walking through a market. One stand hails Corrin over and offers him the Japanese delicacy of...roasted potatoes. What? That is a slam dunk opportunity to culture shock the protagonist. Instead we get potatoes (not a Japanese staple food, nor is the concept of roasting their food). Maybe it was the localization, but that scene sums up how in-authentic Hoshido is to me.

And it didn't help that the way people speak and the slang they use is indistinguishable from Nohr. Neither country has any cultural differences or beliefs that you'd expect them to rally around in times of war. The Hoshidan populace even refer to their royalty as Prince ______. I know people can get annoyed when the honorifics get thrown around in a localized game, but it certainly would have helped sell me on how they observe their rulers. In fact, why is Hoshido a Kingdom to begin with? That's a foreign concept to the Japanese. Make it a shogunate or an empire.

10 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Camels would be the natural replacement for horses in a FE game where the medieval European setting is exchanged for an African one.

Yeah, that’s why I think it would be too alien from traditional fire emblem to make the entire game. It should just be one of several countries.

Edited by Alastor15243

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

we have flying horses aka pegasus and dragons not wolf or panda riders.... u replace the real units with real life stuff and the fantasy with fantasy stuff.... 

so horses naturally will be replaced with camels in a dessert culture... if u want to be more exotic replace them with zebras in more savana like cultures... but dont expect lions and cheetah's 

Edited by Pegasus Knight

4 class Designs I came up with for an Arabian Fire Emblem idea

First one is:

Falcon Glider

Weapons of choice: Lance and Daggers

Promotes to a Phoenix Glider and gains swords upon promotion, abilities would be, Sand Surfer: negates all negative terrain from sand and gain +10 avoid on sand terrain, Mirror Falcon: depending on the wielder skill, there is a chance your attack will summon a falcon to fight by your side doing a consecutive attack for one turn.

Second one is:

Mercenary

Weapon/s of choice: Swords

Promotes to a Brave Lion (the one pictured) and gains the use of axes upon promotion, abilities would be, Recklessnes: increase Crit chance by 75%, reduce defense by 50% in the following turn.

Third one is:

Scholar

Weapons of choice: Staves and Librams

Promotes to an Inscriber and gains a new weapon type Roc Feathers (these feathers have magical abilities where it makes everything inscribed with it into a reality for a little while).

gggg26.jpg

FA.jpg

gggg29.jpg

gggg34.jpg

On 1/2/2018 at 5:30 PM, Pegasus Knight said:

we have flying horses aka pegasus and dragons not wolf or panda riders.... u replace the real units with real life stuff and the fantasy with fantasy stuff.... 

so horses naturally will be replaced with camels in a dessert culture... if u want to be more exotic replace them with zebras in more savana like cultures... but dont expect lions and cheetah's 

This is quite misguided, Arabs don't fight on camels, we fight on horseback, in fact Arabs have the best horses, and they are well known horse breeders. Camels are used only for Travelling. 

Or you could have multiple of them with different units reflecting different areas of the map.  Plains could have horse archer units like mongols and huns, while river valleys and hilly regions have more classic ground soldiers and knights, mountains could have fighters etc.  I have an idea I've bounced around a bit on here of having a game where you lead mercenary army you build from the beginning you recruit different units and build your army essentially the way you want it based on who you decide to recruit and depending on where you recruit them from reflects their unit type.  Maybe a bit to grandiose but one can dream

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

Or you could have multiple of them with different units reflecting different areas of the map.  Plains could have horse archer units like mongols and huns, while river valleys and hilly regions have more classic ground soldiers and knights, mountains could have fighters etc.  I have an idea I've bounced around a bit on here of having a game where you lead mercenary army you build from the beginning you recruit different units and build your army essentially the way you want it based on who you decide to recruit and depending on where you recruit them from reflects their unit type.  Maybe a bit to grandiose but one can dream

These are brilliant ideas I approve!

I would say that having a late 1800s theme wouldn't be bad. There would be new classes like cowboys and western themed outlaws. New weapons like cannons and guns. It would make it a step towards being popular in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 6:00 AM, The Radiant Hero said:

4 class Designs I came up with for an Arabian Fire Emblem idea

First one is:

Falcon Glider

Weapons of choice: Lance and Daggers

Promotes to a Phoenix Glider and gains swords upon promotion, abilities would be, Sand Surfer: negates all negative terrain from sand and gain +10 avoid on sand terrain, Mirror Falcon: depending on the wielder skill, there is a chance your attack will summon a falcon to fight by your side doing a consecutive attack for one turn.

Second one is:

Mercenary

Weapon/s of choice: Swords

Promotes to a Brave Lion (the one pictured) and gains the use of axes upon promotion, abilities would be, Recklessnes: increase Crit chance by 75%, reduce defense by 50% in the following turn.

Third one is:

Scholar

Weapons of choice: Staves and Librams

Promotes to an Inscriber and gains a new weapon type Roc Feathers (these feathers have magical abilities where it makes everything inscribed with it into a reality for a little while).

gggg26.jpg

FA.jpg

gggg29.jpg

gggg34.jpg

I think there should be a bomber class that unleashes a large explosion, doing damage to all enemies its vicinity, but at the cost to some of its own health. 

On 3.11.2017 at 5:04 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Africa. At least as a side country and neutral or allied nation. Two main reasons: first, it would be a cool way to get black characters into a Fire Emblem setting

This would be very cool and something complete new ,we also could become some new landscapes in this country too.

We need more tribal power. Like a nomadic warrior horde who sets up bases across their area of the continent, but can not always be found there because they're constantly moving and fighting. I would like them to have similar aspects to Native American Tribes, as well as aspects from the Mongols. More specifically I want them to embody animal spirits, and be all about nature yet this contrasts heavily against their way of fighting and brutal methods.

1 hour ago, Ae†her said:

We need more tribal power. Like a nomadic warrior horde who sets up bases across their area of the continent, but can not always be found there because they're constantly moving and fighting. I would like them to have similar aspects to Native American Tribes, as well as aspects from the Mongols. More specifically I want them to embody animal spirits, and be all about nature yet this contrasts heavily against their way of fighting and brutal methods.

Although not nomadic, this could also be done with a culture reminiscent of Iron Age Celts. The Celts respected and feared nature, yet were known for being brutal and devastating on the battlefield. They don't have animal spirits in Celtic Folklore, but they do have lots of voluntary and involuntary shapeshifting into animal forms. 

8 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Although not nomadic, this could also be done with a culture reminiscent of Iron Age Celts. The Celts respected and feared nature, yet were known for being brutal and devastating on the battlefield. They don't have animal spirits in Celtic Folklore, but they do have lots of voluntary and involuntary shapeshifting into animal forms. 

Well I didn't really want Laguz just a group of savage warriors who are actually very interesting when you get to live in their society. I meant animal spirits as in they worship animal gods, and channel their power to help them on the battlefield or something like that.

3 hours ago, Ae†her said:

Well I didn't really want Laguz just a group of savage warriors who are actually very interesting when you get to live in their society. I meant animal spirits as in they worship animal gods, and channel their power to help them on the battlefield or something like that.

Oh; I wasn't suggesting they be laguz; I was just trying to think of what animal-related stuff there is in Celtic Folklore. Now that you mention it, there are a few animal gods in Celtic Mythology, such as Tarvos (god of bulls), and Epona (goddess of horses). 

On 1/21/2018 at 1:48 AM, ElectiveToast said:

I think there should be a bomber class that unleashes a large explosion, doing damage to all enemies its vicinity, but at the cost to some of its own health. 

I find your post kinda funny, yet it is kind of disrespectful to my heritage, shitposter or not, not cool.