Xander & Corrin Bond Support snippet

Jedi

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, The Geek said:

Man, FCorn's voice is way higher than I expected it to be.

Is that really any surprise? Japanese VAing does this with females like her ALL the time. Always high-pitched, squeaky, and sounding like little kids. Main reason I don't enjoy Japanese voices.

I'd pull up my Japanese keyboard and Google Translate, but last time I tried that method on one of these, I just got stuff that made no sense.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

I need a translation please. 

I got you

Twitter description: The two are enjoying a stroll in an Aytolis forest. Corrin is excited over seeing animals for the first time, Xander is warmly watching over Corrin's lively figure.

Corrin: Ah, there's a beautiful coloured bird over there. Haha, it's cute isn't it?

Xander: Haha, you look like you're having fun, Corrin. Are animals and birds really that foreign to you?

Corrin: Of course! It's because I'm just seeing these for the first time. Besides, given the circumstances saying this is a bit out of place, but I'm a little happy to be able to go around seeing various things with my older brothers while being outside of that castle. 

Xander: That's right. I too was just feeling the same way. Also, in all honesty I'm relieved to finally see your face so full of life. 

Edited by Torii

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'd say foreign is more accurate here.

Yeah for sure. "Curious" is the translation of the word they used, but it doesn't sound too natural when put into English. I'll change it 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Is that really any surprise? Japanese VAing does this with females like her ALL the time. Always high-pitched, squeaky, and sounding like little kids. Main reason I don't enjoy Japanese voices.

To be fair, default Corrin is supposed to be a kid. Male Corrin in Japanese also has a slightly... wimpy? voice as the default. But most people I see don't use those defaults, and the deeper tones were used for Smash too...

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

To be fair, default Corrin is supposed to be a kid. Male Corrin in Japanese also has a slightly... wimpy? voice as the default. But most people I see don't use those defaults, and the deeper tones were used for Smash too...

Are we talking about the same character here? Default female Corrin has fully developed breasts and curves. She's more like 17 or 18, not a kid.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Are we talking about the same character here? Default female Corrin has fully developed breasts and curves. She's more like 17 or 18, not a kid.

I mean, there are 15~16 year olds more developed than some adults lol. As for Corrin's actual age, the impression I got was 15~16 from their personality etc., but no solid word on it I think.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I mean, there are 15~16 year olds more developed than some adults lol. As for Corrin's actual age, the impression I got was 15~16 from their personality etc., but no solid word on it I think.

I still think she looks more like 17, but even if she was 15, that's still far too old for this voice. I think it sounds like a 6 year old or something.

3 hours ago, The Geek said:

Man, FCorn's voice is way higher than I expected it to be.

As someone who has played the Jp version of Fates, the higher pitch voice is supposed to be the middle ground. Her two options above were genki and F!Kana respectively, while her two below were slightly angry and monotone. 

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

In Fates, the default f!Corrin is the shorter, kid one. When has a default anything ever been option 2? Taller f!Corrin was used in Smash, I assume because they wanted to remove the height discrepancy between the smaller f!Corrin and m!Corrin. The taller option is just used now because of familiarity. 

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I still think she looks more like 17, but even if she was 15, that's still far too old for this voice. I think it sounds like a 6 year old or something.

Considering her Jp actress, Satō Satomi, does play a lot of little girls, that might not be too far off the mark. But it is the default voice Corrin has had since release of Fates.

Regardless, I think she sounds fine, though that might just be bias because I'm used to the voice? Who knows.

3 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

In Fates, the default f!Corrin is the shorter, kid one. When has a default anything ever been option 2? Taller f!Corrin was used in Smash, I assume because they wanted to remove the height discrepancy between the smaller f!Corrin and m!Corrin. The taller option is just used now because of familiarity. 

Now that I think about it, you're right. But the female Corrin pictured on Fates Conquest's cover art looks around 17 to me too, given those breasts and curves. She also looks about the same height as the male Corrin on Birthright's cover art.

3 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

As someone who has played the Jp version of Fates, the higher pitch voice is supposed to be the middle ground. Her two options above were genki and F!Kana respectively, while her two below were slightly angry and monotone. 

Considering her Jp actress, Satō Satomi, does play a lot of little girls, that might not be too far off the mark. But it is the default voice Corrin has had since release of Fates.

Regardless, I think she sounds fine, though that might just be bias because I'm used to the voice? Who knows.

The taller f!Corrin is used in official artwork, which includes the boxart

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Now that I think about it, you're right. But the female Corrin pictured on Fates Conquest's cover art looks around 17 to me too, given those breasts and curves. She also looks about the same height as the male Corrin on Birthright's cover art.

That's true, while the art used itself could be for a number of reasons (Kozaki preferring the older f!Corrin, the height difference on the covers being jarring with the kid f!Corrin, etc.), I believe the first time we saw f!Corrin (in the trailer of January 2015), we got to see her model, and it looks to be the younger version. Regardless, one would assume the size option that is default for the male would also be the female default, at least from a video game standpoint. The options are directly across from one another.

The way I see it, they initially had Satō do a voice for the young f!Corrin, so she provided a higher pitch as a middle ground. They ended up using the adult body type for Corrin in all promotional and subsequent game appearances, but since the young-sounding voice was already established as the default, they just kept using that tone. I'd say the same thing happened for m!Corrin, because all 5 types of Shimazaki's voice are super unfitting for the bigger body type.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

1 minute ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

That's true, while the art used itself could be for a number of reasons (Kozaki preferring the older f!Corrin, the height difference on the covers being jarring with the kid f!Corrin, etc.), I believe the first time we saw f!Corrin (in the trailer of January 2015), we got to see her model, and it looks to be the younger version. 

The way I see it, they initially had Satō do a voice for the young f!Corrin, so she provided a higher pitch as a middle ground. They ended up using the adult body type for Corrin in all promotional and subsequent game appearances, but since the young-sounding voice was already established as the default, they just kept using that tone. I'd say the same thing happened for m!Corrin, because all 5 types of Shimazaki's voice are super unfitting for the bigger body type.

I see. That would explain this, I guess. Because it's been a long time since I last felt that a voice was THIS unfitting for a female character, even a Japanese one.

28 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Leo/Takumi seem to be in the 15-17 range, though-- Corrin's 17-19, with naivety playing a part in their "younger" personality.

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

Leo/Takumi seem to be in the 15-17 range, though-- Corrin's 17-19, with naivety playing a part in their "younger" personality.

I agree with that last part. By the by, I always looked at the ages like this:

Elise (13), Sakura (14), Takumi (16), Leo (17), Corrin (18), Azura (19), Hinoka (21), Camilla (23), Ryoma (25), Xander (27)

17 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

13 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

Elise (13), Sakura (14), Takumi (16), Leo (17), Corrin (18), Azura (19), Hinoka (21), Camilla (23), Ryoma (25), Xander (27)

I've never felt those characters to be that old... Ryoma and Xander are like ~23 at most to me, and Takumi, Leo and Corrin are pretty much the same age.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

13 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

This is pretty much what I think too, except I'd put Elise at 12...

I'm not a fan of Corrin's voice in this game. She sounded much better in Sm4sh in my opinion. I'll probably use the english dubs whenever I have to use her.

Edited by Luankachu

For what it's worth, there are a few comments from Japanese people on the twitter post that seem to think the same thing about Corrin's voice being too different.

Huh? Isn't her voice a bit too high? I thought she was a bit calmer and composed, but I guess this is possible as well.

Corrin voice isn't this high. Satö Satomi, I think you've forgotten too much what Corrin's voice is like. A voice this different sounds like another person.

I think she sounds fine. It might be a bit different than what I remember, but nothing that bothers me really. 

Edited by Torii

14 minutes ago, Torii said:

For what it's worth, there are a few comments from Japanese people on the twitter post that seem to think the same thing about Corrin's voice being too different.

I think she sounds fine. It might be a bit different than what I remember, but nothing that bothers me really. 

I guess these are people used to Corrin in Smash or Heroes, yeah? I just turned on my Jp copy of Fates and her default voice is identical to that.