Cordelia and F!Robin comfirmed for Warriors from Famitsu Preview

Azz

5 hours ago, Luankachu said:

What makes you think F!Robin wouldn't get any additional skins if she was an alt for M!Robin? Cia in Hyrule Warriors always gets 3 variations for her skins: Masked, Unmasked, and Hatless. The only exceptions to that are the Guardian of Time and Majora's Mask costumes. I think they could do the same for Robin.

Personally, I hope F!Robin is an alt costume. I don't want to have to essentially level up the same character twice, even if they will probably be my mains.

Oh, she did? Huh. It just seemed to me that if we had multiple F!Robin skins for M!Robin that it'd get really cluttered and messy. I never knew Cia had 3 variations for each skin. Now I don't really see a reason why she's a clone. It will really suck having to level the same character twice.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the official site's update pretty much confirms female Robin is a character of her own. There's nothing indicating she's a costume aside from the reused animation.

21 hours ago, The DanMan said:

To me, the issue is that by all rights she should be an alt-costume as she's still the same character really. If she's a pure clone than it's just a character who has to be grinded up outside of story mode; if they do give her some differences and put her in semi-clone territory (a la the twins and Chrom/Lucina), then the argument can easily be made that another character is more deserving of that treatment. Unless she's just an alt costume, they're kinda screwed both ways.

Don't forget you're deploying 4 characters at once here though, rather than only one like in base Hyrule Warriors. Even Legends often restricted it to only one extra character.

Also regarding female Robin, there's also the issue of the Bond conversations. We don't know if those are story only. If they can be grinded in other modes, then she might have her own.

Edited by NeonZ

1 hour ago, NeonZ said:

I'd say the official site's update pretty much confirms female Robin is a character of her own. There's nothing indicating she's a costume aside from the reused animation.

Don't forget you're deploying 4 characters at once here though, rather than only one like in base Hyrule Warriors. Even Legends often restricted it to only one extra character.

Also regarding female Robin, there's also the issue of the Bond conversations. We don't know if those are story only. If they can be grinded in other modes, then she might have her own.

All good points. Really, the grind can be helped by just putting her on your team while you do other stuff. Will it be as effective? Almost certainly not, but it's not bad for doing nothing.

Edit: Looking at the picture file names also shows that female Robin is listed as chara12. Maybe it means nothing, but it does further imply character.

Edited by Arthur97

17 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

All good points. Really, the grind can be helped by just putting her on your team while you do other stuff. Will it be as effective? Almost certainly not, but it's not bad for doing nothing.

Edit: Looking at the picture file names also shows that female Robin is listed as chara12. Maybe it means nothing, but it does further imply character.

It would still take extra time and be an annoying ordeal over all.

If she's not part of the story there's no reason to not have her as an alternate costume with her own unique voice, quotes, etc..especially since she likely shares the exact same moveset. Even an alt skin might as well be it's own character, just reusing a moveset and animations, like the Koopalings in Smash. Being an alt doesn't make her any less of her own character and, infact, I'd hope to see more to maximize the roster without having a massive CSS.

58 minutes ago, Deva Ashera said:

It would still take extra time and be an annoying ordeal over all.

If she's not part of the story there's no reason to not have her as an alternate costume with her own unique voice, quotes, etc..especially since she likely shares the exact same moveset. Even an alt skin might as well be it's own character, just reusing a moveset and animations, like the Koopalings in Smash. Being an alt doesn't make her any less of her own character and, infact, I'd hope to see more to maximize the roster without having a massive CSS.

I can deal with an alt since they recognized her with her own page. That said, it looks like she is separate. 

On 8/5/2017 at 2:43 PM, Arthur97 said:

I can deal with an alt since they recognized her with her own page. That said, it looks like she is separate. 

We'll see. She may have a page on the site due to technically being an individual character and promotional reasons.

While moveset clones are fine for fighters, it would seem more lazy in a Warriors title I feel, as such if she's like Toon Link to Link in Hyrule Warriors, great, love it, but if she's a straight clone then I'd have preferred her be an alt..I am not level grinding two Robins regardless of how it's done..that's far too tedious..

24 minutes ago, Deva Ashera said:

We'll see. She may have a page on the site due to technically being an individual character and promotional reasons.

While moveset clones are fine for fighters, it would seem more lazy in a Warriors title I feel, as such if she's like Toon Link to Link in Hyrule Warriors, great, love it, but if she's a straight clone then I'd have preferred her be an alt..I am not level grinding two Robins regardless of how it's done..that's far too tedious..

Well, as I said, the recognition is great. Clone or semi clone though, I'd rather she was separate. 

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, as I said, the recognition is great. Clone or semi clone though, I'd rather she was separate. 

May I ask why? I think it'd be pretty tedious having to level up what is essentially the same character twice.

Just now, Pokechu said:

May I ask why? I think it'd be pretty tedious having to level up what is essentially the same character twice.

Because I want them separate. Besides, the mechanics of this one seems like it will take the edge off of grinding and if the moveset is fun, then who cares. Plus, this is a warriors game, tedious is the name of the game anyways.

38 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Because I want them separate. Besides, the mechanics of this one seems like it will take the edge off of grinding and if the moveset is fun, then who cares. Plus, this is a warriors game, tedious is the name of the game anyways.

I don't think just having a party system will make it less tedious.

Tedium may be the name of the game, as you say, but why add to it?

Beyond that, if Female Robin is an alt then you could use her instead of Male Robin on any 'Robin Only' missions that will pop up in whatever this game's Adventure Mode analog will be.

I'll be honest, if they are identical then all that having them separate accomplishes is giving them a spot on the CSS and their own Levels/Stat Growth. Not worth it in my opinion otherwise I'd hope for separate. Why force people to level grind identical characters? It's a poor design decision as it promotes tedium rather then fun.

1 hour ago, Deva Ashera said:

I don't think just having a party system will make it less tedious.

Tedium may be the name of the game, as you say, but why add to it?

Beyond that, if Female Robin is an alt then you could use her instead of Male Robin on any 'Robin Only' missions that will pop up in whatever this game's Adventure Mode analog will be.

I'll be honest, if they are identical then all that having them separate accomplishes is giving them a spot on the CSS and their own Levels/Stat Growth. Not worth it in my opinion otherwise I'd hope for separate. Why force people to level grind identical characters? It's a poor design decision as it promotes tedium rather then fun.

If it were down to alts, I would almost always use male Robin if not always. And it will help with the grind somewhat at the least; it would just about have to. As for adding to it, why not? How many people actually finish these games 100%? Besides, they will almost certainly start her out with low level missions so you're still getting stuff done during the grind.

11 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

If it were down to alts, I would almost always use male Robin if not always. And it will help with the grind somewhat at the least; it would just about have to. As for adding to it, why not? How many people actually finish these games 100%? Besides, they will almost certainly start her out with low level missions so you're still getting stuff done during the grind.

"Hey, since no one even gets 100% anyway, why not make it even more difficult?"

Really?

You're willing to throw a fraction of the fanbase you dismiss as 'no one' under the bus, as well as turn away several on-the-fencers, because you think having two Robin slots is better than having one?

2 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

You do realize that ALL characters end up with low, mid, and high level exclusive missions in Hyrule Warriors' Adventure Modes.

What if I HAVE to do a Male Robin exclusive mission to get to where I want to go but I rarely ever want to use him so he's severely under leveled for the mission? Then I get screwed over for preferring to use the identical character I like more when having an alt would easily solve that hassle.

It's not even about 100%..with how you talk about this I get the feeling you've never played a Warriors title..or at least not for very long..

I mean, heck, I was FOR the clones in Smash U/3DS getting their own slots yet I'm wanting fRobin, who I greatly prefer to mRobin, to be an alt skin..shouldn't that say something about how tedious having them separate will be?

Edited by Deva Ashera

5 hours ago, Deva Ashera said:

Theres a reason Dynasty Warriors 6 was very hated by the community, half the characters became clones for no reason despite the 50ish characters in 5 having all unique movesets. 

F!Robin being a full out clone will bring back those memories for alot of us...

Edited by Jedi

9 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

"Hey, since no one even gets 100% anyway, why not make it even more difficult?"

Really?

You're willing to throw a fraction of the fanbase you dismiss as 'no one' under the bus, as well as turn away several on-the-fencers, because you think having two Robin slots is better than having one?

I never said no one, but it is small. Look, you don't have to agree with me, but you don't have to so...unagreeable about it. I honestly think that a lot of you are being kind of whiny about having to grind one clone. If that is all it takes to keep you from completing the game, then odds are you weren't going to do it anyways.

13 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I never said no one, but it is small. Look, you don't have to agree with me, but you don't have to so...unagreeable about it. I honestly think that a lot of you are being kind of whiny about having to grind one clone. If that is all it takes to keep you from completing the game, then odds are you weren't going to do it anyways.

And you don't have to be so adamant about this being a good idea even in the face of 'this has precedent for being bad' (which, not being a regular DW fan, I didn't know- thanks, Jedi!).

Unnecessary padding is unneccesary padding, no matter how much of it there is. And depending on how the game handles the side modes, there is potential that F!Robin could stir the 'Classic versus Modern' hornet's nest again- "if Robin isn't a full clone, then the effort put into her might as well have been put into Ike/Hector/[insert Classic unit of choice]". If it's anything like Hyrule Warriors, though, it's going to be arbitrary and annoying- "My Male Robin could do this challenge with his eyes closed- why do I have to struggle with my underlevelled Female Robin?". Trust me, that was barely tolerable when it was Tetra versus Marin, who have completely different movesets (but the same element).

22 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

And you don't have to be so adamant about this being a good idea even in the face of 'this has precedent for being bad' (which, not being a regular DW fan, I didn't know- thanks, Jedi!).

Unnecessary padding is unneccesary padding, no matter how much of it there is. And depending on how the game handles the side modes, there is potential that F!Robin could stir the 'Classic versus Modern' hornet's nest again- "if Robin isn't a full clone, then the effort put into her might as well have been put into Ike/Hector/[insert Classic unit of choice]". If it's anything like Hyrule Warriors, though, it's going to be arbitrary and annoying- "My Male Robin could do this challenge with his eyes closed- why do I have to struggle with my underlevelled Female Robin?". Trust me, that was barely tolerable when it was Tetra versus Marin, who have completely different movesets (but the same element).

All good stuff, but I think the real reason we should hope that F!Robin is simply an alt is because M!Robin has an advantage in that only he is available during Story Mode which means he should be easier to level up. And if Story Mode is actually a draw (gameplay-wise, no one is going to argue that we're going to get a great story), M!Robin would probably be perceived as more valuable to level up in the long run. (Especially if we're thinking about higher difficulties.)

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

The hornets nest already is stirred, and will be stirred again; it is inevitable. Honestly, how many people are really going to be put off? If they were going to complete it, one clone isn't going to stand in their way. It's a mild inconvenience at worse, and frankly, I'm tired of everyone's rotten attitudes during the buildup to this game and how everyone hates almost everything they do. If you don't like it, that's fine, but just stop insisting it's an absolutely terrible thing to do.

13 hours ago, Jedi said:

Theres a reason Dynasty Warriors 6 was very hated by the community, half the characters became clones for no reason despite the 50ish characters in 5 having all unique movesets. 

Well, it was a new engine with an overhauled combat system. Heck, history seems to be repeating itself a bit with DW9: new engine, new combat system... and some characters getting their old clone weapons back, on top of Cheng Pu looking similar to Wei Yan. Koei's put pure clones behind them, but I believe semi-clones are sticking around (which the twins and Chrom/Lucina have already demonstrated for FEW).

Edited by The DanMan

4 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

While I imagine that female robin must have some legitimate reason to be on the roster rather than an alt., I feel like your entire statement just boils down to "Agree with me damn it"

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

I'm tired of everyone's rotten attitudes during the buildup to this game and how everyone hates almost everything they do. If you don't like it, that's fine, but just stop insisting it's an absolutely terrible thing to do.

I'm sorry that everyone can't instantly love this game without question, I'm excited for this game but even I (With my almost blind bias toward fire emblem in general) can see the bad decisions that are associated with it, I have a feeling that you would be singing a different tune if your wifu wasn't in, I bet if the developers just outright said "lucina was just not unique enough to add" you would be in an absolute frenzy, meanwhile I have to deal with the fact that the only characters that I like that will get in are in my B-tier favorites who get by on concept long before personality.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

The hornets nest already is stirred, and will be stirred again; it is inevitable. Honestly, how many people are really going to be put off? If they were going to complete it, one clone isn't going to stand in their way. It's a mild inconvenience at worse, and frankly, I'm tired of everyone's rotten attitudes during the buildup to this game and how everyone hates almost everything they do. If you don't like it, that's fine, but just stop insisting it's an absolutely terrible thing to do.

If there's one clone there will likely be more, such as male Corrin.

Let's try something different then. Many of us have explained why we feel FRobin being a separate clone character instead of alt would be a terrible idea. Why don't you explain what possible ways it would be a good idea because, frankly, there aren't any I could think of at all outside of a cosmetic change to the Character Select Screen since gameplay-wise having her as a clone or alt would function identically outside of having separate levels.

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

I doubt that will be the case here. I think we will have a few clones, but I think it will  be a way to squeeze in a few extra characters that otherwise would of not made it in. For example it could be a way of fitting in Saizo and Kaze, or all 3 White Wings.

Edited by Tolvir

I think that F!Robin will just be a costume with only cosmetic differences (such as her own voice lines of course), mostly because if the developers saw her as her own unique character then she probably wouldn't be unplayable in story mode. They way I imagine it is that you can boop a button when picking Robin to switch between the two genders.

46 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I doubt that will be the case here. I think we will have a few clones, but I think it will  be a way to squeeze in a few extra characters that otherwise would of not made it in. For example it could be a way of fitting in Saizo and Kaze, or all 3 White Wings.

Remember that this game has full voice acting and plenty of it, so making clones (that are completely different characters) would require more effort and time than just making another model and calling it a day, and this means they can't be added at the last minute either. They're willing to put in the extra effort for female Robin and male Corrin because they're meant to be equal to their opposite gendered counterpart and they're customizable in their home games.

Edited by Lightchao42