What classes do you want to see come back?

3 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

Levant Mir Celestia, I have played Shadows of Valentia twice actually, it's where I got the idea. I found summoning a tactic that was fun to do but maybe that's just me. I will say though that if it was a choice between a Summoner or a Druid I would pick the Druid 10x10. For one thing I love their design, for another they have the coolest staff animation. One final note because of the Cantors in SOV I can see why some would be opposed to the idea of summoners.

41 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Summoning was one of my favorite things from SoV, it gave Clerics way more utility and I would love to see it better refined in a future instalment, shoot the only thing that made cantors difficult was when summoned enemies flew, but they were typically weak and you could also summon and expel enemy monsters which was borderline op in comparison, my complaints fall on the enemy only spells like medusa and mire (yes I know that the enchantress can use mire but that's basically post game content so it's meaningless without way more grinding than is necessary) which had stupid MT and very cheap costs, though arcanists were just stupid stat wise, their defence was higher than their resistance which was just annoying for magic users.

My big issue with summoning was that IMO, it feels the player gets the short straw wrt summoning (Invoke costs 12 HP, and Saint only has 30 base, as opposed to Cantors' Conjure only costing 6 HP at most; it doesn't help matters that Cantors are pretty much always parked on HP restoring terrain which also makes them harder to remove from play).  As for Expel, I feel the need to note that it isn't exactly accurate (only 65 accuracy - that's even less than Stone Miss and Focus Miss - and this is a game where skill doesn't affect magic hit rates)...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

My big issue with summoning was that IMO, it feels the player gets the short straw wrt summoning (Invoke costs 12 HP, and Saint only has 30 base, as opposed to Cantors' Conjure only costing 6 HP at most; it doesn't help matters that Cantors are pretty much always parked on HP restoring terrain which also makes them harder to remove from play).  As for Expel, I feel the need to note that it isn't exactly accurate (only 65 accuracy - that's even less than Stone Miss and Focus Miss - and this is a game where skill doesn't affect magic hit rates)...

That's not a problem with summoning as a concept, thats a problem with summoning in execution, much like my problems with medusa and mire the enemies are given spells or other resources that are significantly better than almost anything similar you may have at your disposal. Expel may not be the most accurate but it makes up for that by attacking a pretty wide range and instantly killing them, it won't kill every enemy monster, but it will get rid of the bulk of them which it normally what you need. Though I will admit that SoV's map design didn't complement summoning near as much, the benefits could have been well displayed in a defense chapter but when you are going through a bog while they enemy pelts you with flying dragons getting through gets a whole lot more tedious.

FE2 / FE15

Dread fighter: Like this class a lot more than the Swordmaster class and would like to see it either replace the Swordmaster class or be a third tier promotion to it. Way more useful overall due to possessing the same high speed and skill as swordmaster, while also having higher movement and being much better mage checks.

Priestess: Very nice class due to being incredibly versatile and strong. Might need a few changes however, like improved movement. If the magic weapon triangle is present, I would like to see them wield Light Magic

Cantor: Summoning enemies is still a pretty cool gimmick and I do feel it can lead to some clever map design. I think the devs should work on making the number of monsters able to be summoned a fixed number rather than completely random, however. I would like to see them wield Dark Magic

Witch: Teleportation is a pretty fun gimmick, especially in the hands of the player, though it needs some obvious changes. Would like to see them use Dark Magic.

FE4:

Baron: This version of the Baron class is pretty interesting in that its able to weld a ridiculous amount of weapons, namely Magic. Magic based Armor Knights seems really interesting and I would like the Switch game to give us an Armor Class capable of wielding Magic. Baron's themselves should be enemy exclusive units, mainly for bosses and the like.

FE7

Monk: Light magic wielding base class is pretty cool and I think Monk is generally the best one.

FE8

Mage Knight: This version of the Mage Knight is my favorite one due to wielding Staves instead of swords. Would be like the valkyrie, but wield Anima Magic.

FE13

Dark Knight: Same class as before, but reworked to use Dark Magic.

FE14

Spear Master: Cool S-Rank spear fighting class.

Maids / Butlers: I like these guys as healers. IMO they should be changed to be the default promotion of the Cleric class.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

I hope that the classes will be unisex like in Fates. I really no reason to restrict classes based on gender.

That said, I want the standards of each class to hold up across sexes.

If male Axers are super big and buff, I want super big and buff lady Axers. If female peggies are frail and petite, I want male peggies to be frail and petite.

Fates seemed to think making Charlotte a closet aggressive tomboy made up for this. At least we got ripped Rinkah. 

Edited by Slumber

• 3 weeks later...

Classes I would love to see again are,

1) Axe Reavers at least 3 of them

2) Wolf, Lion and Eagle laguz about 3 of each

3) FE10 Wyvern lords at least in terms of design and having the Stun skill

4) Weapon Master and True Blade

5) GBA style Warriors

6) Druids

7) Sentinals

8) Gold knights with a FE10 version of the Sol skill

9) Dread Fighters FE13 version with Echoes' high movement.

10) Marshalls with FE10's Luna skill

11) Bow knights and Marksmen

12) Hunter 

13) Berserkers that look like the ones in SD with the Colossus skill and I want a lot of them

14) FE10's Seraph Knight with the Stun skill 

15) Great Knights but looking more like how they did in SS I love how the horse looks gigantic and the rider also looks like a massive individual.

I'd really like to see Griffin Riders, Spartans, Rogues, and Wyvern Knights to show up. Those have been some of my favorite classes in the series. Mostly in terms of designs. As for ideas on how to make them stand out, I don't have any. Maybe give Rogues knives and bows instead to suit their speed? Give Griffin Riders swords to add versatility? Wyvern Knights S rank lances? Spartans like Generals but a little faster? I just want them back again.

Edited by Captain Vulgar

On 10/5/2017 at 8:09 AM, SavageVolug said:

15) Great Knights but looking more like how they did in SS I love how the horse looks gigantic and the rider also looks like a massive individual.

No. Great Knights in SS were an aesthetic disaster.

11 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

No. Great Knights in SS were an aesthetic disaster.

What was wrong with SS Great Knights? For it's game they had a pretty good design. Fates by comparison all that game does is put heavy armor on a horse that's the exact same size as the Dark Knight and Paladin class horse which just looks out of place. This is one area where Awakening did something better, the Great Knight class mount was huge compared to Paladin, although the only one's that looked good in it were Frederick and Walhart. Everyone else looked weird because of the rider armor design.

4 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

What was wrong with SS Great Knights? For it's game they had a pretty good design. Fates by comparison all that game does is put heavy armor on a horse that's the exact same size as the Dark Knight and Paladin class horse which just looks out of place. This is one area where Awakening did something better, the Great Knight class mount was huge compared to Paladin, although the only one's that looked good in it were Frederick and Walhart. Everyone else looked weird because of the rider armor design.

To be fair to Awakening Great Knights, pretty much all the armour designs in that game were weird. 

Anyway; in my opinion, if they bring back Great Knights, they should have a brand new look; perhaps one that uses parts of some historical armours, such as the asymmetric pauldrons on late Italian armour, or a later version of the great helm that has a rounded top instead of the more well-known flat top. Some later chestplates even had two layers, and that would be cool to see. 

Pretty much everything. Especially the horns on the horse, which did nothing but detract from an already bad design.

35 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

To be fair to Awakening Great Knights, pretty much all the armour designs in that game were weird. 

Anyway; in my opinion, if they bring back Great Knights, they should have a brand new look; perhaps one that uses parts of some historical armours, such as the asymmetric pauldrons on late Italian armour, or a later version of the great helm that has a rounded top instead of the more well-known flat top. Some later chestplates even had two layers, and that would be cool to see. 

Oh, absolutely. I agree that an original look should be done. And I would love to see some more historical accuracy in the horse armor. That's probably why I love the Gold and Silver knight classes in RD, because of how historically accurate they look. They look like they came straight out of either a Robin Hood or King Arthur film.

I just meant that of the games that have featured Great Knights, SS had 1) a massive mount, 2) proportional armor to said mount, 3) a Rider of similarly large proportions also and SS is the only game that accomplishes all 3 of these.

And yes Awakening had weird armor designs for ALL its classes. Fighter and Armor Knight are probably the ones that I hate the most.

17 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Pretty much everything. Especially the horns on the horse, which did nothing but detract from an already bad design.

I guess, this is one thing that we differ on, I happen to really like the Great Knight design in SS. I never found the horns particularly distracting. I guess why I like this design is because 1) The mount is massive probably the size of a Clydesdale 2) The armor is proportionally sound 3) The Rider is also quite gigantic 4) The Rider is holding a large shield.  

Returning Classes:

Dread Fighter - More like Awakening, I liked having magic on my ninja-like class.

Assassin - I really liked this class in Awakening (it was a bit OP, but...). I liked it better than the Master Ninja in Fates because it focused on swords, and then had bows(or daggers in FE:Switch) as a secondary, instead of the opposite. It felt like a real upgrade to my thief compared to trickster.

Trickster - Even though it was not as good as the Assassin, I liked the sword and staff combo.

Basara - The Lance and Tome combo on an infantry unit is great, but I really want a huge design redo! The Basara looks so weird and out of place.

Warrior - Axes and Bows would be awesome to have again.

Sage - Much better than Onmyoji.

Pirates - No Fujin Yumi? No problem, I can walk the Seven Seas with only my bronze axe!

Soldier - This was one of my favorite classes in Echoes: SoV, and I liked it a lot better than the Spear Master. 

New Classes:

Troubadour - A mounted musician(refresher), they use an instrument(like the GBA rings) to either refresh a unit or give high boosts to one unit. Can be upgraded to a Minstrel which grants more abilities (refresh and a small boost). Wields their instruments and probably daggers or a tome.

More Mage fliers - Dark Flier/Pegasus and Malig Knight would be nice to come back, but with some upgrades. As others have said, maybe a mage flier route of Mage Flier(tome) --> Dark Flier(tome & lance)/ Malig Knight(tome & axe). 

I how Fates style daggers return with Ninjas and Maids. They were the coolest new classes/weapons we got in Fates. Being able to debuff enemies and worrying about debuffs was an exellent addition to the series and I hope it doesn't disappear.

Edited by wissenschaft

On 10/10/2017 at 5:27 PM, SavageVolug said:

And yes Awakening had weird armor designs for ALL its classes. Fighter and Armor Knight are probably the ones that I hate the most.

Funny you mention Fighter, because that's one design I'd gave Awakening the nod over Fates for...

11 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Funny you mention Fighter, because that's one design I'd gave Awakening the nod over Fates for...

You have a point. Compared to Fates, yes Awakening does have the better Fighter design. But I dislike both the Awakening and Fates Fighter design.

1) What is that metal collar for? What is it's purpose? Is it some sort of accessory?

2) Too much leather armor. I don't like how the leather armor looks and on top of that from a historical perspective it just wouldn't have been done, at least not to this abundance. Now cloth armor on the other hand most definitely was done. And I would like IS to go for a cloth armor design for classes like myrmidon, Fighter, etc. I'll clarify why momentarily.

3) The armor looks very stiff to wear and like it would impede movement, which impeding movement is one thing when it's an Armor Knight another when it's a class like Fighter.

The reason I like cloth armor is:

1) Historical accuracy when concerning armor. Now that's not to say armor NEEDS to be historically accurate in design or I won't like it. But I do appreciate it when armor has a historically accurate design or can be connected to a certain nation's armor choices. For example the armor of GBA Berserkers looks like the stereotypical helmet of the Vikings (and yes technically this is also historically inaccurate, but horned helmets do exist from the Celtic era so helmets of that sort WERE made). Also the arm armor for this class looks like what the Greeks used for their sword arm, and with this mixture of armor it renders a kind of Gladiator appearance.

2) It looks comfortable and easy to move around in. While the leather armor in Awakening looks very stiff and like it would NOT be comfortable.

3) It would offer good protection. Now yes chain mail would be even more protective but still cloth armor would be more protective than one might think, it can be difficult for a sword to cut or even stab through cloth armor.

4) It's a sound armor choice, while again the leather armor in Awakening makes no sense to me. Now the look could be maintained but if cloth or fur armor was used instead of the leather I would probably like it a LOT more. SImply because it looks comfortable to wear and it doesn't look like their movement would be impeded.

Sorry I went a little long here, but yes you are right the Fighter design in Awakening is better than Fates.

You have a point. Compared to Fates, yes Awakening does have the better Fighter design. But I dislike both the Awakening and Fates Fighter design.

1) What is that metal collar for? What is it's purpose? Is it some sort of accessory?

2) Too much leather armor. I don't like how the leather armor looks and on top of that from a historical perspective it just wouldn't have been done, at least not to this abundance. Now cloth armor on the other hand most definitely was done. And I would like IS to go for a cloth armor design for classes like myrmidon, Fighter, etc. I'll clarify why momentarily.

3) The armor looks very stiff to wear and like it would impede movement, which impeding movement is one thing when it's an Armor Knight another when it's a class like Fighter.

The reason I like cloth armor is:

1) Historical accuracy when concerning armor. Now that's not to say armor NEEDS to be historically accurate in design or I won't like it. But I do appreciate it when armor has a historically accurate design or can be connected to a certain nation's armor choices. For example the armor of GBA Berserkers looks like the stereotypical helmet of the Vikings (and yes technically this is also historically inaccurate, but horned helmets do exist from the Celtic era so helmets of that sort WERE made). Also the arm armor for this class looks like what the Greeks used for their sword arm, and with this mixture of armor it renders a kind of Gladiator appearance.

2) It looks comfortable and easy to move around in. While the leather armor in Awakening looks very stiff and like it would NOT be comfortable.

3) It would offer good protection. Now yes chain mail would be even more protective but still cloth armor would be more protective than one might think, it can be difficult for a sword to cut or even stab through cloth armor.

4) It's a sound armor choice, while again the leather armor in Awakening makes no sense to me. Now the look could be maintained but if cloth or fur armor was used instead of the leather I would probably like it a LOT more. SImply because it looks comfortable to wear and it doesn't look like their movement would be impeded.

Sorry I went a little long here, but yes you are right the Fighter design in Awakening is better than Fates.

Thank you very much. Fire Emblem is normally fairly good when it comes to armour, apart from the oversized pauldrons, but the armour in Awakening was really weird, and the fighter armour in particular was really bad, for Awakening and Fates. Cloth armour just makes more sense, and one can see the mercenaries and heroes wear it in Fates, and it looks cool.

Leather armour, in my opinion, just looks weird, aside from some examples of leather samurai armour and some examples of leather Lamellar armour, which also are the only examples of historical leather armour. 

Also, the Celtic horned helmets are largely believed to be ceremonial, rather than for actual battle. And, even if it were for battle, the Celts could get away with it by being the tallest people in Europe (around 5'10 on average, in ancient times).

For fighters, I think the way to improve them would be to do something between historic peasant armour and what the Tellius games did: the fighter would have almost no armour except for maybe a gambeson and some pauldrons. But then, when promoted to a warrior, they gain knee protection and maybe a brigandine (the vest with the overlapping metal scales inside it).

56 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Thank you very much. Fire Emblem is normally fairly good when it comes to armour, apart from the oversized pauldrons, but the armour in Awakening was really weird, and the fighter armour in particular was really bad, for Awakening and Fates. Cloth armour just makes more sense, and one can see the mercenaries and heroes wear it in Fates, and it looks cool.

Leather armour, in my opinion, just looks weird, aside from some examples of leather samurai armour and some examples of leather Lamellar armour, which also are the only examples of historical leather armour. 

Also, the Celtic horned helmets are largely believed to be ceremonial, rather than for actual battle. And, even if it were for battle, the Celts could get away with it by being the tallest people in Europe (around 5'10 on average, in ancient times).

For fighters, I think the way to improve them would be to do something between historic peasant armour and what the Tellius games did: the fighter would have almost no armour except for maybe a gambeson and some pauldrons. But then, when promoted to a warrior, they gain knee protection and maybe a brigandine (the vest with the overlapping metal scales inside it).

Thank you for your compliment and your thoughts on the matter, and I agree completely. I like your idea on Fighter design. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate the current Fighter design. I did like it's design in the Tellius games in particular Radiant Dawn. Both Nolan and generic Fighters look like they are wearing cloth armor in addition to some decent looking pauldrons and gloves. Although I love Boyd's fur pauldrons from PoR.

I thought the horned Celtic helmets were ceremonial but I couldn't remember for sure, and my point was that these kinds of helmets are not strictly connected to pop culture and art. I would love to see heroes wearing chainmail, helmet and holding a shield, making them look like Vikings a little but would also be similar to the GBA and SD design. SD while it gets some hate, I do appreciate it's Berserker, Warrior and Hero design Berserker especially I think looks good and is my favorite rendition of this class.