Your Opinions On My Class System

SullyMcGully

So, I made this.

It's basically just a Google Doc containing my "ideal" class system. Sheet 1 has all of the unpromoted class bases, and sheet 2 has promotion gains.

To help you make sense of the magic classes, here's my explanation of the magic system:

All magic-users can use basic Anima tomes (Wind, Elfire, Arcthunder, etc.) Wind is effective against fliers. Fire is effective against beast units (i.e. horses and pegasi). Thunder is effective against dragon units (i.e. wyverns). Light magic can only be used by certain classes, it has double weapon triangle advantage over all other magic types. Dark magic can only be used by certain classes, it has very high might but drains the user's HP like in SoV. Advanced anima can only be used by certain classes, it's an umbrella designation for several "weird" spells (like Tide, Quake, Frost, etc.).

The "Mercenary Captain/Knight Commander" and the "Prodigy" classes are both special and shouldn't be compared to other classes.

I'd like your input. Are any of the classes extremely unbalanced or anything like that? Keep in mind that this is a work in progress. I might add skills later.

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: I just added stat caps for all of the promoted classes.

Edited by SullyMcGully

Interesting, though I notice some weapons lack "weapon master" classes; are there going to be varying Weapon Rank caps?

Also, what do Fists do?  Are they like brass knuckles/claws, or do Fist-users just flat out fight barehanded?  Do they have some kind of secondary effect, like Daggers in Fates?

If you like, you can look at my art thread (shamelessly plugged in my signature), the first couple pages of which show off my own class tree, complete with illustrations!

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Interesting, though I notice some weapons lack "weapon master" classes; are there going to be varying Weapon Rank caps?

Also, what do Fists do?  Are they like brass knuckles/claws, or do Fist-users just flat out fight barehanded?  Do they have some kind of secondary effect, like Daggers in Fates?

I considered making the Commando a lance-only class, but I kind of feel like one of the unique things about lances is that there is no "lancemaster" class. It's just a feeling, though. I think that the classic Swordmaster-Berserker-Sniper trio is good enough. You'll be able to get an S-rank in one weapon type, just like in the GBA games

Fists have two distinct advantages: they never break, and they automatically double-attack, making them kind of like Brave weapons. They all have 0 MT though, meaning that you'll be relying on STR alone.

14 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

They all have 0 MT though, meaning that you'll be relying on STR alone.

So what makes "Silver Fist" better than "Iron Fist"? Hit rate, so that they can overcome any terrain / speed avoid?

Seeing as nothing has "Tomes" alone makes me feel like they should have separate names-- instead of being "Tomes (+Light/Advanced/Dark)".

There's nothing in particular that screams "X is absurd".

What's the point of the Str-Mag split? Only 5 of your 45 classes use both stats unless you intend on having some use for either stat outside of the typical "increases damage of attack type" or you include magic-using weaponry for physical classes (in which case I feel like it would only be fair to give mages some way to use their physical stat).

1 hour ago, Bedimal Eliwan said:

So what makes "Silver Fist" better than "Iron Fist"? Hit rate, so that they can overcome any terrain / speed avoid?

Seeing as nothing has "Tomes" alone makes me feel like they should have separate names-- instead of being "Tomes (+Light/Advanced/Dark)".

There's nothing in particular that screams "X is absurd".

What's the point of the Str-Mag split? Only 5 of your 45 classes use both stats unless you intend on having some use for either stat outside of the typical "increases damage of attack type" or you include magic-using weaponry for physical classes (in which case I feel like it would only be fair to give mages some way to use their physical stat).

There will be only about 4-5 "fist" type weapons. That said, one of them might grant a damage bonus. It would have to be small, though.

The magic system has a lot of flaws I wish I could figure out a way around. As you mentioned, the naming system is a little confusing. I still don't have any good ideas for that one.

You're also right about STR-MAG. I wish I could make a list like this without hybrid classes, but I feel like that would really limit class diversity. It wouldn't be that much of a problem without branching promotions, though. A potential way around this would be to make staves equipable and usable as physical weapons.

Thanks for the input!