Alt. Characters

Arthur97

Depends on how far they go with it.

Considering the difference in voice and appearance for Robin, I suppose anything is possible, but it also makes sense for Robin to have such differences what with both genders having canonical merit.

Assuming they go all-out, I could see Lon'qu as a Ryoma alt, Ogma as a Chrom alt, Gunter as a Frederick alt, stuff like that. 

There probably wont be many since there aren't many characters in FE that have multiple forms (Or at least that I can think of).

I say M!Corrin and Adult!Tiki will be probably be the only other ones alongside F!Robin.

However, it would be interesting if characters got skins based on other characters of their classes. Like Cordelia got a Sumia and Hinoka skin. Kinda like in Injustice 2 where Hal Jordan can be John Stewart and Cheetah can be Vixen. They have different voices and dialogue, but have gameplay similar to the base character, with maybe some small differences Again, like in Injustice, Bizarro, a skin for Superman, has ice eye lasers and fire breath instead of fire eye lasers and ice breath).

I'd at most probably expect to see "alts" being a substitute for classes, e.g. Lon'qu as an alt for Ryoma, Sumia as an alt for Cordelia, or, in a more extreme sense, Libra as an alt for Lissa.

However, I wouldn't get my hopes up (or down, depending on how you look at it) for this sort of thing.  Robin (and probably Corrin as well) has the excuse of the "alt" being the same person but with different reproductive parts and a slightly different appearance.  It might well be the most significantly "different" alt that will be available, with the rest probably just being mere costumes/alternate skins.

23 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Having different characters act as alternates for others sounds cool, but then it'll be received as them being lazy and not giving the "alternate characters" there own move set.

Sadly, that's probably true.

22 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Robin (and probably Corrin as well) has the excuse of the "alt" being the same person but with different reproductive parts and a slightly different appearance.  It might well be the most significantly "different" alt that will be available, with the rest probably just being mere costumes/alternate skins.

We'll just have to disagree there.

Alternate costumes that change characters would require new portraits and voice work, so I don't expect anything aside from female Robin and male Corrin (and maybe adult Tiki, but probably not).

17 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Besides Robin and Corrin, I don't see alt costumes being any more than pallet swaps. I'm not expecting an Injustice 2 deal or anything.

Honestly, I'm not expecting it either. I just think it would be cool and probably the best way to do it. Sadly, I think we'll only get recolours like in HW that just reference other characters.

Maybe. Maybe not. Unfortunately with the little information we have it's hard to tell. We don't even have a concrete number on its roster other than it is larger than any first Warriors game (which for a first crossover Warriors is 30) and that it is supposedly pretty big, as said by a developer themself. Unfortunately, that can mean anywhere between 30 to over 50.

I can see it as a possibility. It would be a really clever way to make a rather large roster without having to make entirely new characters for each and every one. But st the same time it seems like the developers are wanting to keep each character unique. Injustice 2 pulled it off really well by offering alt characters for the base ones with some unique changes, but I don't think Warriors has done something like that before (someone with Warriors experience correct me if I'm wrong).

Edited by Tolvir

Possible but... I can see it being restricted to Corrin and Robin due to their avatar status. The next "best" thing would be stuff similar to how HW Zelda has an Ilia costume or... Lana getting the Skull kid costume. This would also open the possibility of stuff like Spring Xander's clothes as an alt look for Xander, loli Tiki getting her older self's clothes and so on. 

I can see them adding Caeldori, Rhajat and Asugi (assuming that Tharja and Gaius are in the game) through costumes, but that's about it aside from the avatars.
Others will probably just be color swaps to represent different characters, which I wouldn't really mind tbh.

I've been wanting Alt Characters from the get-go to help add more characters..for example, Florina or Hinoka as an alt for Cordelia..just change the voice, entrance, victory, and perhaps a few animation poses a bit.

Male Corrin is the most obvious candidate, but he sucks. Morgan, Kana, and Kris are also technically gender-neutral, but none of them are even likely to show up.

I doubt any other character will be treated like that. Depending on how liberal you are with the use of "alternate character", Adult Tiki is pretty much a certainty if Child Tiki is playable, and Lucina will probably have "Marth" as a playable choice too, but those are technically the same character at different points in time instead of marginally different characters who fulfill the same role in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 2, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Azz said:

Honestly, I'm not expecting it either. I just think it would be cool and probably the best way to do it. Sadly, I think we'll only get recolours like in HW that just reference other characters.

Not all costumes in HW were recolors - for one, the chosen ones, as well as a few others, have alternates that give them their looks from other games. The Termina map costumes were masks featured in Majora's Mask, with two exceptions (one being Midna, who got the Ordon Shield as a reference to a certain scene in TP, with Link being the other). Also of note, Toon Link got his Outset Island outfit as well as his Engineer outfit (the latter coming from the Grand Travels map), Lana and Cia both have the Guardian of Time outfit, with the former also getting a Skull Kid outfit, and nearly all of Agitha's alternates were inspired by Lolita fashion (the exceptions being her Koholint and Lorule outfits).

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Not all costumes in HW were recolors - for one, the chosen ones, as well as a few others, have alternates that give them their looks from other games. The Termina map costumes were masks featured in Majora's Mask, with two exceptions (one being Midna, who got the Ordon Shield as a reference to a certain scene in TP, with Link being the other). Also of note, Toon Link got his Outset Island outfit as well as his Engineer outfit (the latter coming from the Grand Travels map), Lana and Cia both have the Guardian of Time outfit, with the former also getting a Skull Kid outfit, and nearly all of Agitha's alternates were inspired by Lolita fashion (the exceptions being her Koholint and Lorule outfits).

Oh yeah, I know that not all the costumes were just recolours that referenced other characters, but the majority were. I guess I should have pointed that out originally.

47 minutes ago, Azz said:

Oh yeah, I know that not all the costumes were just recolours that referenced other characters, but the majority were. I guess I should have pointed that out originally.

Fair enough. Though as far as costumes do, I have to make special mention to Dark Link (a season pass bonus for the original, though it was unlockable in Legends) and Ganondorf's Wind Waker Robes (season pass bonus for Legends).

On 8/2/2017 at 5:52 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Alternate costumes that change characters would require new portraits and voice work, so I don't expect anything aside from female Robin and male Corrin (and maybe adult Tiki, but probably not).

It is possible since they kinda did with the Pirate Warriors series where the New World characters got new portraits and the Straw Hats got new animations and Musous but none of them became different people. In my opinion costumes shouldn't change the person, Moveset should be tied to one person no really a group of people(main reason DW 6 is hated). 

1 hour ago, Folt said:

With the exception of M!Corrin, no.

We might get colors that reference other units though, like most of the HW costumes.

Pretty much agreed with this. 

Unless they really want to do Caedori or something.

Here is the only way I can see this working. If they use the alts as alternate s of classes from their own games. So for example, Hinata as an alt of Ryoma with a few uinique things to himself, Saizo as an alt for Kaze, Gunter as an alt of Frederick. Hinoka as an alt of Cordelia.

I personally wouldnt mind a few alts if it meant we got a lot more characters than we should of gotten. I think most characters should be unique, but if getting a roster higher than 30 means a 1/4 of the roster are alts of pre existing ones, then I wont complain. Though I think any character actually appearing in the game's story mode should remain unique. Alt characters should be reserved for the non story character slot like F!Robin is and likely M!Corrin.

5 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Here is the only way I can see this working. If they use the alts as alternate s of classes from their own games. So for example, Hinata as an alt of Ryoma with a few uinique things to himself, Saizo as an alt for Kaze, Gunter as an alt of Frederick. Hinoka as an alt of Cordelia.

This is essentially what I would hope for. Pretty much giving characters with no chance a chance.