Is Eliwood mode or Hector mode canon?

Yeah, you can consider Eliwood canon and Hector canon as well: It's rare that differing story events in both completely overlap: Hector will do something else aside where Eliwood was on his own in Eliwood mode.

Hector mode also has stuff that's not in Eliwood mode that can certainly be considered canon, especially around one character's involvement.

Both are fine to play through, and they also differ in the enemies as well.

I guess both are, it's just a different point of view.

My headcanon is that the routes are actually Eliwood and Hector telling the story of their adventure. Like, Eliwood passes over Ch.19xx because he doesn't want to be hard on Ninian, while Hector adds Farina out of nowhere just because she wanted to be part of the story even though she actually met Hector later. Oh, and...

Hector: "And there where lots of pegasus knights!"
Eliwood: "I don't remember it being that way..."
Hector: "FRIGGING EVERYWHERE, ELIWOOD!"
Eliwood: "Hector, are you drunk?"

If I were to lean one way, it'd be toward Hector's, simply because of Farina, Karla and the additional information Hector learns about Morphs and Nergal.

I mean, there's no reason for Eliwood mode to be less canon because of these things, but giving a bit more of a fleshed out story of the main villain just seems... "more right". Plus, the whole part with Farina and Karla.

But overall I agree that both are canon.

Edited by Slumber

probably both, although Hector has extra chapters and 2 more characters, it's hard to tell which chapters actually happened and which didn't, but I'm assuming that all of the chapters are canon even if they're not present in Eliwood mode, so Hector mode makes more sense to me to be canon than Eliwood's.

Hector mode because Eliwood is trash it has more of the story. It just has a different main main character. Nothing is subtracted (except what Eliwood did while Hector was elsewhere), but stuff is added that takes place while both are together.

Hector mode seems more canon due to having more chapters and additional characters.

Most of the chapters are the same ones in Eliwood mode though, so I guess you could consider Hector mode as the same canon story but with extra stuff.

Hector is the one with blue hair. Canon Lords have blue hair. Dangit!

In all seriousness, I think it is really weird to talk about which route is canon. Hector is a retelling from his perspective and changes had to be made because there would be no point otherwise. Same with bonus stuff. I see it more as extras that could have happened during Eliwood's side as well but you need something more for another playthrough.

12 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

Eliwood: "...and then I got my promotion!"
Hector: "You did NOT! I DID!!"

On 3. 8. 2017 at 1:05 AM, Enaluxeme said:

I guess both are, it's just a different point of view.

My headcanon is that the routes are actually Eliwood and Hector telling the story of their adventure. Like, Eliwood passes over Ch.19xx because he doesn't want to be hard on Ninian, while Hector adds Farina out of nowhere just because she wanted to be part of the story even though she actually met Hector later. Oh, and...

I think all these additional enemies are one that Hector killed while Eliwood (whose PoV we follow) didn't pay attention.

Though I don't have clue how explain promotion...

I'd say Hector mode, because it is Eliwood mode + extra bits from Hector's perspective. I don't remember them overlapping each other (well, Eliwood's omits some things that happen on Hector's route, which is also why I think the latter is canon) and most events happen simultaneously.

As for promotion, we can say both got promoted (Eliwood got a buff + Durandal while Hector also got a buff + Armads), but Hector's story glorifies him more in detriment of Eliwood because it is his POV, after all. He can swear he was the one to land the final hit on the Fire Dragon and brag about his feats around campfires all he wants, it won't break the canon wall.

On the promotion matter, let's be honest and admit Eliwood is the main lord of FE7 and thus say that it's he who gets the Cog of Destiny promotion (though it could easily be rewritten that all three lords did). Hector was there because he was Eliwood's friend and to make sure the series didn't go three games in a row without a blue boy.

I'll agree the canonical story is Eliwood's + the Hector additions, the absence of a mention of Uther's death on Eliwood's route despite it being clear he is dead is a bit awkward in retrospect. 

• 1 month later...

I actually would make an arguement that FE7 is more Hector's story than Eliwood's  when you look at it. Yes, it starts out focusing on Eliwood looking for his missing father, and yes the Ninian stuff is basically surgically attached to Eliwood as well. H O W E V E R.

When playing Hector's story, all of these things happen anyway. Despite that, it isn't just "Eliwood's story from Hector's POV", its really Hector's story with Eliwood as a strong supporting part. The two are a double act, but Hector's story adds a lot more depth to the going ons: the Laus conspiracy with assassins coming after him in his own castle, the dramatic tensions between him and Uther (and Uther's eventual death while Hector is on his adventure, followed by his indignation towards Oswin for hiding this information and then later forgiveness of it). The additional chapters meat out the experience further, as well as extra side quests going into Nergal and Kishuna's backstory. Plus, in Hector's story we see not only things about Hector himself, but his reaction to things that still happen to Eliwood. His aggressive, protective nature shining through more frequently towards people like Jaffar and the like. And who is it that becomes the leader of Lycia? Hector. Ostia is the head of the league, and Hector is heir to its throne. Pherae is a close ally for sure, but HECTOR is the big man with the big destiny. Moreover, Hector has more of an arc over FE7 - Eliwood remains rather static and steadfast in his noblebright good nature, but Hector has to grow the fuck up and mature, stop being a punk who snubs his responsibilities to wrestle with the commoners, and temper his violent, vindictive nature with maturity. FE7 is not the story of a heroic lord who searches for his father and gets wrapped up in a secret conspiracy to summon dragons - its about a heroic lord who helps his best friend search for his father, get wrapped up in a conspiracy, and MATURES from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say Hector mode, because it is Eliwood mode + extra bits from Hector's perspective. I don't remember them overlapping each other (well, Eliwood's omits some things that happen on Hector's route, which is also why I think the latter is canon) and most events happen simultaneously.

Eliwood mode has some things that were missing from Hector's tale too, like Ninan's reaction to the presence of Kishuna in "Genesis" and how she resisted Nergal's attempts to compel her at the beginning of "Valorous Roland". The beginning of "New Resolve" after Lyn, Hector, and Nils leave Eliwood and Ninian alone is also different; Hector doesn't see Eliwood's conversation with Ninian any more than Eliwood sees Hector's conversation with Lyn and Nils.

I will give you that for the most part it's the other way around, though.

Edited by Paper Jam