Changes to Lyn's Role?

thecornerman

In a hypathetical remake of Blazing Blade, should Lyn's role be changed at all?

She has no impact on the greater plot, but someone important wouldn't disappear for Binding Blade like she does, especially if HectorxLyn is the canon ship.

Edited by thecornerman
Expand opening point.

I don't think she needs so much of a change for impact in Blazing, it's more that she needs ANY role whatsoever in Binding. It's kind of tough to change her role in Blazing, because that'd really change the story of the whole game. Lyn's chunk of the story is mostly handled in the tutorial, and after that it's squarely the Eliwood and Hector show.

She might get more agency once Elbert is gone and the role stops being quite so personal for everyone, but I have no idea how to make her more engaged in the Nergal/Morph plotline.

I guess you could make her taking Caelin back as a longer arc that doesn't get fixed right at the end of Lyn mode, with Lundgren going on past that story, but I dunno.

To be honest, I never really minded her lack of "impact"; she was still a really good side character whose conversations with Eliwood and Hector added a lot of flavor to the game.  In addition, she also gave a lot of much needed emotional support to both Eliwood and Hector, and helped the latter work with some of his own weaknesses.

To me, changing her role would be like trying to change Krillin's role in Dragon Ball Z.  It wouldn't necessarily be a BAD change (depending on how it was done); but Krillin's character also works just fine as-is; and that's the same way I feel about Lyn.

Heck, just look at Corrin in FE14 (assuming all the rumors about him/her are true, as I've never played it myself).  She had TONS of "impact" on the story; but did that make the story better?

Edited by FionordeQuester

29 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

To be honest, I never really minded her lack of "impact"; she was still a really good side character whose conversations with Eliwood and Hector added a lot of flavor to the game.  In addition, she also gave a lot of much needed emotional support to both Eliwood and Hector, and helped the latter work with some of his own weaknesses.

To me, changing her role would be like trying to change Krillin's role in Dragon Ball Z.  It wouldn't necessarily be a BAD change (depending on how it was done); but Krillin's character also works just fine as-is; and that's the same way I feel about Lyn.

Heck, just look at Corrin in FE14 (assuming all the rumors about him/her are true, as I've never played it myself).  She had TONS of "impact" on the story; but did that make the story better?

Agreeing with this. People harp on all the time about how she "has no impact" on the story, and while that might be true to an extent, does it really matter? Even if her actions didn't directly impact any part of the conflict at large, her presence still had meaning.

2 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

She isn't Krillin, though. If Lyn dies, the game is over, restart. If Krillin dies, the series continues. I'd argue someone who's death initiates a game over should be more significant outside of the tutorial mode. Granted, that problem could be fixed by making her death not do that.

In addition to the conflict, what about changes to the conclusion? Given most of her endings and her significance to the plot, giving her cameo in Binding Blade would mame slightly more sense than giving Kent one. However, if she gets married to Hector, which the game seems to push for, than her disappearance without an explenation makes little sense. Ninian hhas this problem to a lesser degree. She's not mentioned in FE6, but we know she dies of some sickness or another.

And then I sneakily edited the original post to mention Hector

Edited by thecornerman

On 8/3/2017 at 3:51 AM, thecornerman said:

She isn't Krillin, though. If Lyn dies, the game is over, restart. If Krillin dies, the series continues. I'd argue someone who's death initiates a game over should be more significant outside of the tutorial mode. Granted, that problem could be fixed by making her death not do that.

Their point was that focusing the spotlight on a certain character, or have the character affect the story in some way, isn't necessarily a good thing. There are cases where it works, like with Fiora from Xenoblade, Han Solo from Star Wars, or Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. But in the same vein, there are also cases where it doesn't. Like with Sunset Shimmer in the 1st Equestria Girls film, Corrin (though I'd argue that being somewhat of an exaggerated case), or Bella Swan from Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Saga. Lyn, I would say, is alright with the amount of story exposure she gets.

In addition to the conflict, what about changes to the conclusion? Given most of her endings and her significance to the plot, giving her cameo in Binding Blade would make slightly more sense than giving Kent one.

However, if she gets married to Hector, which the game seems to push for, than her disappearance without an explanation makes little sense.

That's more of an unanswered question. But to be fair, one should be asking about (hypothetical) scenarios where Florina or Farina is Hector's wife instead, since the same applies to them. (In Lyn's case, however, I could see her just being off-screen when Lilina is introduced, and possibly dying in Sacae in an attempt to contain and end the conflict Been started before it spreads and eventually reaches Lycia.)

Ninian has this problem to a lesser degree. She's not mentioned in FE6, but we know she dies of some sickness or another.

A lot of characters from FE7 aren't seen or mentioned in FE6. Though some, like Rath, can be explained easily, others, like Raven or Dart, have no such luck for a possible explanation for why they're unmentioned.

Edited by Just call me AL

46 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Though some, like Rath, can be explained easily, others, like Raven or Dart, have no such luck for a possible explanation for why they're unmentioned.

Don't forget Geitz, as he's Geese's older brother.

20 hours ago, Slumber said:

I don't think she needs so much of a change for impact in Blazing, it's more that she needs ANY role whatsoever in Binding. It's kind of tough to change her role in Blazing, because that'd really change the story of the whole game. Lyn's chunk of the story is mostly handled in the tutorial, and after that it's squarely the Eliwood and Hector show.

Basically this. Posthumous writing can be weird that way, because you have major players in the chronologically earlier work who up and vanish without a trace in the "sequel." She's not the only one with this problem, ofc, but I find it weird that they didn't explain her away, especially when she's a main character and they  went through the trouble of explaining Canas away via random freak accident death. Of course, there are other characters that need the same treatment (not random freak accident death, but at least an an explanation of their absence), as mentioned above.

For a remake of Binding, I'm hoping either for confirmation that Lyn kicked the bucket somewhere along the line (hopefully not), or have her show up somewhere as an important NPC, hopefully involved with older Eliwood and Hector, possibly as Lilina's mother or involved with the conflict in Sacae as Sue's mother (if the games are packaged together and Blazing ties into Binding through supports). Blazing Blade doing its best to build up this amazingly close power trio who would support each other through thick and thin kinda fell flat in places, since you know she pulls a vanishing act somewhere between the end of Blazing and Binding.

If we're being perfectly honest it's not like Hector has much impact on the Nergal/morph/Black Fang plot either. Only Eliwood has much impact, and then not much (because of his dad, who dies halfway through Eliwood route). The real problem isn't that Lyn doesn't have much role, it's that FE7 is not a very playable-character-driven story (or much of a story at all IMO).

4 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

If we're being perfectly honest it's not like Hector has much impact on the Nergal/morph/Black Fang plot either. Only Eliwood has much impact, and then not much (because of his dad, who dies halfway through Eliwood route). The real problem isn't that Lyn doesn't have much role, it's that FE7 is not a very playable-character-driven story (or much of a story at all IMO).

Eliwood doesn't really have any involvement after Elbert, either. It's a group effort that keeps them all going. Plus, Nergal at least acknowledges that Ostia/Hector's involvement was way more damaging than he could have imagined, and Hector actually learns about the Morphs and Nergal's backstory.

Edited by Slumber

The only necessary change to Lyn's role is not being forced-deployed as often. (In fact, it would be nice if I could choose ONE of the Lords to take up the force-deployment slot for any given chapter.)

What if Eliwood and Hector got their own versions of Lyn's tutorial mode? And then Lyn got her own version of the main game? That would even things out. I loved the different modes mechanic in this game, just for the replay value and level variety they added. 

On 8/3/2017 at 7:23 PM, SullyMcGully said:

What if Eliwood and Hector got their own versions of Lyn's tutorial mode? And then Lyn got her own version of the main game? That would even things out. I loved the different modes mechanic in this game, just for the replay value and level variety they added. 

It'd be neat to see FE 7 from Lyn's perspective throughout the entire game. My only concern is what would happen in Lyn's version of the main game prior to meeting Eliwood and Hector, since Hector and Eliwood only have one chapter before they meet up while there are a few before Lyn joins the cast.