Any videogame you're literally obsessed with?

MisterIceTeaPeach

I know the title gives a bit a negative taste, but I mean with obsessed that you're so in love in this game that you have the desire to play it again immediately after you have finished it.

My example

Spoiler

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

It was my very first game of this series.
And without having knowledge about the genre and gameplay I suffered quite a lot as consequence. I was very close to the moment to quit it because I failed in 1-3 so much. So I took a break for more than a half year.
Finally I tried a new attempt. Everything worked better and I understood the gameplay till... 2-F happened. Seriously I couldn't beat this game because I forgot to recruit Haar in 2-P. Also skipped Calill's base conversation so I didn't recruit her either.
So that meant attempt #3... and this became the successful attempt finally. However I didn't understand the blessing and mantle thing at all. It took me forever at cost of several units to beat Deghinsea because my attacks didn't work due to the lacking knowledge what mantle is. Still it didn't hinder me to beat this game once for all... after more than one year.

And when I understood the gameplay and the story I absolutely loved the game and series and made me want to play more games of this genre and join this forum.
However none of the played FE games could reach the quality FE10 had for me. Maybe because it was my first FE game but no other game - aside of FE5 and Conquest maybe - had the quality of gameplay and mission objectives as FE10 had. 

So I played this game over and over again to test the harder difficulties.
My first HM run took 512. It was way too much for me so I started playing the game with my selfset target to reduce my turncount (not trying LTC except in EM / NM). My best turncount is 262, but I want to become below 250 turns at least. <200 turns is impossible without savestatabusing.
It also took me >100 attempts to oneturn Ashera which is probably only possible with having the rescue stave.
All in all I have played this game about 200 times already and I have literally no idea how many hours I have spent for it yet, and there's no end in sight.
I'm in love with this game!

Pokémon Sapphire when I was a kid. Was very addicted to that game and it took me a while to get invested in other Pokémon games.

I was obsessed with FE Awakening earlier this year but it died off after finishing my 3rd playthrough and getting my units' skills.

In some games, if I think the final boss is cool I'll replay the save file before the final boss dungeon over and over, like 20-30 times. 

Off the top of my head I did this in - Super Mario 64, Colony Wars, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy Adventure, SMW2:Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Red, Silver, Sapphire, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Banjo Tooie, DK 64, Star Fox 64 (well you can't save, but I played the game many times even after getting all medals on expert mode) . 

I think I have more serious obsessions with two games though.

Mario Tennis- I took up the real life sport over this. I took the time to beat the GBC version 3 times despite the 5 set 6 game match format. And then in MT 64 I beat the planet cup in singles with every charather. It's hard to get across just how much tennis this is (setting aside the Multiplayer I played), but for reference, you have to beat mushroom-flower-star cups with everyone in singles and doubles before being able to access the 3 handicap cups (rainbow, moon,planet). Yeah it's a lot more grindy than Mario Power Tennis (and presumably later games in the series) where beating star cup with 1 charather unlocks the handicap cups for everyone (or at least themselves). But It didn't feel too long to me. I think I lost 2 controllers to Mario Tennis 64, and I'm pretty sure I corrupted the EEPROM at some point and started over. But yeah, that's the story of how I ended up putting more hours into a sports game than any other game. 

Spooky Castle and Dr Lunatic- Once upon a time, my parents installed the 1998 Egames 100 bundle. One of the glorified demos on that bundle would change my life. That demo was Spooky Castle. Spooky Castle was designed by an indie developer named Mike Hommel, for about 5 years, that would never sink in, as I just replayed the demo over and over (it's about 20 or 25 levels long and the last few levels are kind of difficult). As a demo the credit reel showed me the real game Dr. L over and over. It was something that I always looked forward too. However Dr. L once retailed for a 40$ and I never felt comfortable as a kid asking for so much. Besides I was getting into n64, and then gamecube for the first time. But I kept that one demo on my PC and never forgot some of is phrases. In 2012 or so, I would check Mike Hommel's website at long last. I would not purchase Dr. L until 2013, but I found something much more important- Mike Hommel's journal. This had been ongoing semi-reguarly since 2003. I don't know why, but I read the entire thing through and quickly I built a cult of personality around the man. The journal would rule my life throughout college- I adopted some of Mike Hommel's tastes- I would never have heard of Jon Stewart's Tonight Show or Joss Whedon's Firefly without Mike Hommel. As for Dr. Lunatic itself- All those years of not playing it had given it time to grow up too- When I finally played it (as Dr. Lunatic Supreme with Cheese) it no longer resembled the thing  advertised in the Spooky Castle credits and now boasted several thousand levels. The game would prove to be the very definition of "uneven quality" as it had come about due to the combined effort of Mike Hommel and hundreds of his early customers sharing the level editor, but even in 2013, the game had a charm that I could not resist. I haven't crossed 30% completion in this game, and it isn't for want of hours put into it. I keep Dr. L installed as much as possible (although my last 3 computers did not take well to its ancient programming).  Although I will never tell people that Dr. L is one of the best games of all time, or even a must-own game- in my private thoughts, it is almost the archetype for games in general.

Currently, Stella Glow. I love the game. Basically everything about it was amazing. The music was beautiful, and I now listen to it on a regular basis. The artwork was nice enough that I'm still fine with seeing it for the 80-100 hours of gameplay I've logged. The battles are just difficult enough that a casual player wouldn't have too much trouble while still manageable for someone who wants self-imposed challenges. The plotline had an excellent blend of dramatic and touching moments that kept me engrossed enough that I didn't even mind that I saw one of the plot twists coming from a ways away.

In the past, I've greatly enjoyed Bastion, Fire Emblem Awakening, and probably a couple others that I'm forgetting at the moment..

Like in the overall run of things I find that I don't obsess over games for long periods of time - but sometimes I'll play something that's just really fucking good and it'll stick with me for a while and I'll keep playing it even though I've beaten it already. FE4 is the most prominent example, but Chrono Trigger was the same idea. Bayonetta would be that game right now. It comes with the shitty part though that playing anything else just feels hollow and not really enjoyable in comparison. I'm trying to chip away at other games on my backlog... but I just want to play more Bayonetta.

Edited by Umbran Darros

Got myself a PS4 recently and played the Tomb Raider reboot for the first time. Couldn't put it down and now I can barely hold back and buy the Sequel because I need to finish the Uncharted Games first

I can't stop returning to Dark Souls and it's sequel. Trying out new weapons and playstyles, replaying my favourite sections... this is only gonna get worse once I buy the third game.

After watching a Let's Play of Xenoblade Chronicles, I was obsessed with the philosophical themes for at least two years, and began researching Gnosticism for a while.

Once I beat Awakening, I became obsessed with completing the support log and maxing out my units. There's over 150 hours on my first file alone, with an additional 500+ in other playthroughs.

One might say that I was obsessed with Breath of the Wild, but after finding all of the requirements needed to get the true ending, I haven't been playing it as much.

Edited by Rex Glacies

10 hours ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

All in all I have played this game about 200 times already and I have literally no idea how many hours I have spent for it yet, and there's no end in sight.

Is that 200 "times I turned on the console", or 200 "full playthroughs"? If the latter, you might literally be obsessed - which is a bad thing.
I normally find the word "obsessed" to be an exaggeration for "connoisseur / aficionado / expert".

2 minutes ago, Zera said:

Is that 200 "times I turned on the console", or 200 "full playthroughs"? If the latter, you might literally be obsessed - which is a bad thing.
I normally find the word "obsessed" to be an exaggeration for "connoisseur / aficionado / expert".

full playthroughs
However 3/4 of the runs are without animations so the playtime is reduced to ~15 h nowadays. It's spread in four years.
I know it's still very much... too much... but I wouldn't say it affected my mind negatively.
However it hindered me play other games for a very long time.
Thankfully it changed and I started to play new games.
I still love this game but it's not that my entire life deals with it.

Assuming you played for ~3000 hours at 12 hours per day, you consumed ~250 full days playing FE10. It's no wonder Nintendo won't put it on the VC, with all their games telling me to "take a break" after 30 minutes.

It tends to fluctuate, but The Sims.

Like I could go half a year between play sessions, but once I get back into it, I could play it for a few months straight and play nothing else. Then I get bored of it and the cycle repeats. Right now, currently addicted.

I've probably clocked over 10,000 hours, maybe even more than 15,000, I can't exactly check play time, in Diablo II since over 17 years ago when my parents got me it.

Less these years, but undoubtedly the game I can say.

Edited by Tryhard

I don't really have any particular game that I am obsessed with, though Hyrule Warriors may be a contender. If we are talking about an entire series, however, then Zelda would be one - I just finished playing Majora's Mask, currently playing Spirit Tracks, and had a Skyward Sword delivered. Before that, it was Pokémon, with X, then Black 1, and Black 2.

Virtue's Last Reward and 999, and they're the type of games that you only play once or hope you forget enough about it to play 10 years later and still enjoy it. Which is a shame, because the third game in the series had a tough time being released and we have no guarantee that the series will continue.

Earthbound and Mother 3, too. Particularly the former, which I've beaten around 4 times and waited long enough to play it again while forgetting most of the jokes and walkthroughs.

I used to play Sonic 2 every day as a child. Today, not so much.