How Do You Feel About Music Nowadays?

Von Ithipathachai

I'll find a song from the modern era that I like occasionally, but for the most part I'd say I'm suck in the 70's and 80's as well. Maybe it's because that's just what I was raised listening to thanks to my older family members, but whatever the case may be I totally understand where you're coming from.

I don't listen to anything other than soundtracks

And music from the modern era is soulless anyway. Why? Because Music is now a business, and people just prey on people's psyches to make music that is "appealing", with no substance to it.

But even disregarding that I've always been more partial to soundtracks anyway, as I use the music I listen to in order to set a mood, of sorts, and soundtracks are designed for that.

I don't really listen to the radio that much any more , I personally like mostly late 90s early 00s music the best and I keep up with the bands I started liking as a teenager.  

Just now, Ritisa said:

...Music from the modern era is soulless anyway.  Why?  Because music is now a business, and people just prey on people's psyches to make music that is "appealing", with no substance to it.

This is kind of how I feel sometimes.  A lot of typical modern hits just sound kinda manufactured.

95% of music you hear on the radio and stuff nowadays is shit. So i just find myself listening to soundtracks. I also listen to the full versions of anime OPs. Even though i don't understand the lyrics, some of those songs are pretty damn good. Example: the JoJo OPs.

I actually really like most modern pop or pop-country radio. I admit some of it isn't really deep, but it's not like 70s, 80s, 90s, or 00s music was especially deep either. Music hasn't degraded, only changed.

I'm not a big fan of music nowadays. I just find it lacks the soul music had back in the 70s and 80s, because music has become more of a business. I tend to mainly listen music from video games and anime. And of coarse KPop (Which could be hypocritical on my part since KPop is arguably more business like than western music.

Even then, I rarely listen to music much anyways unless I'm working out or doing homework.

I prefer video game music nowadays. Because the music on the radio is all just; "Here's the number one song on the charts! Let's play it every 5 minutes until the next number 1!" to me.

3 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

I just listen to video game soundtracks.

Little too true for me when I am sadly.

It's not like all the popular music is bad, but you'll hear quite a few tracks where you ask "Why?" if you're overcritical of stuff like I am. As an example, ALL of the 1D members are doing solo careers now, and they'll all chart (Of course). So that's 5X the amount of music I wasn't going to like much in the first place. I know, so cool to bash 1D, but I have the issue of not being much of a fan for most of the big name music in general.

Never mind that some tracks will just sound like other tracks for reasons that are expected (sampling all over the place) and unexpected (e.g. Strip That Down somehow is so similar to Shake That Ass For Me, a song from a decade ago as an example. And it's not like sampling is involved there).

One thing I have noticed is how so many songs are on about sex too, which doesn't help with tracks sounding similar either.

Just now, Dayni said:

One thing I have noticed is how so many songs are on about sex too, which doesn't help with tracks sounding similar either.

When you think about it, that's kind of been the case for as long as secular music has been a thing.

21 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

When you think about it, that's kind of been the case for as long as secular music has been a thing.

Didn't argue against that.

But you can say it's been a bit more open about it in my lifetime than, say, 1967. It's not like songs weren't on about it, but they tended to be more subtle about it than quite a few hits these days. I could make a comparison, but it's likely be a bit of a generalisation if I was.

Well, first off, anybody's music opinions are subjective. So don't take this as me condemning anybody else's preferences. 

I really don't like modern music. It just feels so corny and unoriginal. While there are a few groups out there who manage to be unique (Twenty One Pilots and Switchfoot come to mind), it seems like the biggest hits are just copycat versions of each other. They use the same chord progressions, themes, and patterns. "Something Just Like This" is just "Closer" plus Coldplay. And it seems like the only songs that manage to stand out and be good become cliche and overplayed instantly. Remember "Shut Up and Dance"? I first heard that song before it got popular and it was my jam! Then it hit the radio and got spun so many times that I now despise it. And now every other artist is trying to find a way to duplicate that song's success. 

My dad says that when he grew up in the 70s there weren't a lot of stations that played music from the 50s-60s. But now it seems like there are as many oldie stations as there are modern stations. It could be circumstantial, but this might mean that a lot of the population is unhappy with modern music.

So yeah, for me, it's 70s-80s secular music, 90s CCM, and (of course) video game music. 

I don't really 'follow' music, or seek out new music deliberately. I grew up on 70s & 80s music but currently all my favourite bands are still active and my favorite albums are all from the last decade. So I guess I do have modern tastes, even without meaning to.

8 hours ago, Ritisa said:

And music from the modern era is soulless anyway. Why? Because Music is now a business, and people just prey on people's psyches to make music that is "appealing", with no substance to it.

Are you sure that's new?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1975

I don't even know most of these songs. It's always been mass produced and appealing crap, especially near the top. Music's always followed the same basic structure; 50s music all sounds very similar because they followed the same formula.

I mean, in the last 20 years they've made use of significantly more instrumentation, significantly more types of electronic sounds and we've seen more hybrid genres. There's a lot of trash that will be forgotten in around 20-30 years, and there's a lot of good stuff that will be remembered while the next generation goes "man I wish I were a millennial they had so much good music."

In either case, a lot of people would argue that about any era, so I don't see this era as anything special.

2 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

"Something Just Like This" is just "Closer" plus Coldplay.

I've never heard of this song, but when you say "Closer", I think of Nine Inch Nails's "Closer" and this metaphor sounds weird.

53 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1975

I don't even know most of these songs.  It's always been mass produced and appealing crap, especially near the top.  Music's always followed the same basic structure; 50s music all sounds very similar because they followed the same formula.

I mean, in the last 20 years they've made use of significantly more instrumentation, significantly more types of electronic sounds and we've seen more hybrid genres. There's a lot of trash that will be forgotten in around 20-30 years, and there's a lot of good stuff that will be remembered while the next generation goes "man I wish I were a millennial they had so much good music."

*sigh* This is the unfortunate truth that I must always keep in mind.

That being said, I should probably add that I also fancy myself a bit of a VGM aficionado.  (The soundtrack of Highly Responsive to Prayers, for example, has become one of my favorites even though I've never actually touched a Touhou game in my life.)

pop music was always bad, the only things that are remembered are the good artists though they're often wildly overrated, pop music in whatever your preferred era of music is was also total garbage, "music nowadays" is a huge broad spectrum that extends past whatever your extremely narrow knowledge of it is (the radio? i guess) and arguably the music ecosystem today is the most diverse it has ever been due to the advent of the internet and how accessible it is to produce and publish music yourself

not to mention there actually are artists who are greatly popular who make excellent music (kendrick lamar made possibly one of the best albums of the decade in to pimp a butterfly and it had the luck of being made by a popular artist and going platinum)

whenever someone says "music from my era sucks, i only listen to [decade]" or "[genre] sucks, i only listen to [genre]" they just show how little they know about music and how narrow their scope and taste is

Edited by fuccboi