Mounted female and male Archer teased

VincentASM

23 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

True enough, but at the same time, some of Chrom and Lucina's moves in Project X Zone 2 had her use a bow (including their Multi-Attack). So that isn't too surprising.

...Didn't Selena's popularity tank in Fates? Because iirc, she didn't do nearly as well in the Fates popularity poll as she did in Awakening (and unless I'm wrong, Odin and Laslow suffered the same fate as well)...

She came 17th whereas Odin and Laslow came 8th and 9th respectively. I would say 17/35 is fairly decent.

For reference, Severa got 7th in Awakening, Owain got 2nd and Inigo got 6th.

Edited by Azz

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

But as Ana said, they needed to take liberties with Lissa because she's in a class with no combat capabilities whatsoever. Why would they do the same for Selena??

Because characters in this game likely won't see big moveset revamps when promoting. So, someone who is intended to promote into a horse unit likely will be just a horse unit from the start here, rather than dropping their original moveset for a completely different one.

Edited by NeonZ

28 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

True enough, but at the same time, some of Chrom and Lucina's moves in Project X Zone 2 had her use a bow (including their Multi-Attack). So that isn't too surprising.

...Didn't Selena's popularity tank in Fates? Because iirc, she didn't do nearly as well in the Fates popularity poll as she did in Awakening (and unless I'm wrong, Odin and Laslow suffered the same fate as well)...

She also brided up...

As for the Awakening trio, I think they all did worse.

41 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Selena tanking sounds.....weird. You'd think her fans would appriciate her character development. Selena still got the tsundere style without taking it to the extend Severa did which made her come off terribly at times.

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Selena tanking sounds.....weird. You'd think her fans would appriciate her character development. Selena still got the tsundere style without taking it to the extend Severa did which made her come off terribly at times.

Not really.  Fans could have found a character they liked better, and besides that, fans of other characters from awakening probably found different characters in Fates to vote for.  Being one of the most popular characters in one game's character set isn't a guarantee that the same character will be as popular in a different game's character set, especially if very few characters are shared between games.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think somethink that affects her was being overshadowed for many characters (because unlike Awakening where literally only Chrom and Lissa got special additional spotlight... in Fates like +10 characters had special spotlight).

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think her popularity was partly due to Cordelia, tbh.  In Fates, there are somewhat vague references to Awakening at best, and you only get the direct connection through DLC that a lot of people couldn't be bothered to buy after being so extensively exhausted of funds from the multiple paths crap.  Owain and Inigo weren't associated with extremely popular characters, so they don't need that association to carry them.  I say this because there are some people who started the series with Fates, and also because some people probably had some "beer goggles" with Severa because she was Cordelia's daughter, and so seeing Severa on her own made them realize how much they actually don't like her.

Plus, even if it's toned down, a tsundere can be a very grating kind of character for a lot of people (myself included, to some extent).  Inigo is a shameless flirt, sure, but he's got a jovial spirit and can also be down-to-earth at times, so he isn't a particularly frustrating character to observe.  As for Owain, even without a direct connection to his past life and the bittersweet depth behind his antics, many would simply just find him to be a fun character.

3 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

I'm actually surprised they did as well as they did.  I know Owain and Inigo made the top ten males in Fates.  I'd think people would hate the idea of IS rehashing characters, but perhaps I've just been spending too much time in this little bubble of the fandom that is this forum.

Though I'm also one of the few who actually somewhat likes Yukimura (bottom-feeder in popularity polls) for what little character he has, and I also think Mozu (25th female) is one of the best characters in Fates, so maybe I just have strange opinions.

27 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think her popularity was partly due to Cordelia, tbh.  In Fates, there are somewhat vague references to Awakening at best, and you only get the direct connection through DLC that a lot of people couldn't be bothered to buy after being so extensively exhausted of funds from the multiple paths crap.  Owain and Inigo weren't associated with extremely popular characters, so they don't need that association to carry them.  I say this because there are some people who started the series with Fates, and also because some people probably had some "beer goggles" with Severa because she was Cordelia's daughter, and so seeing Severa on her own made them realize how much they actually don't like her.

Plus, even if it's toned down, a tsundere can be a very grating kind of character for a lot of people (myself included, to some extent).  Inigo is a shameless flirt, sure, but he's got a jovial spirit and can also be down-to-earth at times, so he isn't a particularly frustrating character to observe.  As for Owain, even without a direct connection to his past life and the bittersweet depth behind his antics, many would simply just find him to be a fun character.

I like selena as much as I like severa, which is a good enough amount to use her ingame. I find with tsunderes you either love them or hate them.

Best greeting in stores: "Oh, it's you>:("

27 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'm actually surprised they did as well as they did.  I know Owain and Inigo made the top ten males in Fates.  I'd think people would hate the idea of IS rehashing characters, but perhaps I've just been spending too much time in this little bubble of the fandom that is this forum.

Though I'm also one of the few who actually somewhat likes Yukimura (bottom-feeder in popularity polls) for what little character he has, and I also think Mozu (25th female) is one of the best characters in Fates, so maybe I just have strange opinions.

I like yukimura's design but I typically play revelation as a main profile and the lategame my castle units almost never saw any use for me, I'd use fuga if the game gave me enough slots to add him. 

Mozu seriously only got 25th, I would have thought that she could have scored at least a little bit higher, she did the whole villager thing way better than Donnell. If we get any villagers in warriors I would much prefer mozu.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

I think the characters that will be revealed are pretty much guaranteed to be Takumi and Camilla. Just looking at the popularity polls, they clearly surpass every other Male Archer and Female Rider, respectively.

I'm pretty happy if Takumi makes it in since he was one of my favorite characters in Fates overall. Camilla is more of a mixed bag, but I didn't feel that she was as terrible as most people let on. 

5 hours ago, Tolvir said:

To make the roster more diverse. Its not like they havent done it. Lucina uses a bow, Chrom throws spears, Robin levitates, Frederick uses Axes even though his skill with lances were higher and he used a silver lance in the beginning. They are obviously taking liberties to make the game better, I dont see why it would be entirely out of the question to take liberties with the Awakening trio.

As it is I think if the Awakening trio make it in, it will very likely be their Fates versions. They are far more diverse with Odin being a good rep for Dark Mage for Fates, Laslow being a good rep for Hero (Axe or Sword use would work), and Selena being a good rep for Bow Knight since it is her canon promotion in Fates.

Lucina using a bow I think references Lyn in specifically with her promotion, but Lucina also uses a bow in Code Name Steam, and Chrom uses lances in Project X Zone 2. Neither of those had them change class but it's as you said, taking liberties.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well Lucina does class change into bride for that, Chrom never does anything extreme unless him charging with Gradivus/throwing Gradivus as his default lord appearance, Lucina at least class changes to bride to use lances and bows. I don't know about the popularity but I think it would make sense given they are reused characters plus not as good as they were in the last game.

Where is anyone getting the idea that they won't take from promoted classes? Not only is that shut down entirely by Lissa right away, Chrom and Lucina are seen using other weapons already, Xander, Ryoma, and Frederick are already promoted, Marth doesn't promote in his own game, and Robin doesn't get any new weapons from promotion in the first place. That leaves Corrin and Cordelia to support this theory, and we don't even know any real details about how Cordelia fights.

8 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Lucina using a bow I think references Lyn in specifically with her promotion, but Lucina also uses a bow in Code Name Steam, and Chrom uses lances in Project X Zone 2. Neither of those had them change class but it's as you said, taking liberties.

I think it's moreso that Lucina got so popular that the developers had to find ways to make her something other than "Chrom's child", gameplay-wise.

In this case, she gets Bows because Chrom using Lances tends to be referenced more.

3 minutes ago, Folt said:

I think it's moreso that Lucina got so popular that the developers had to find ways to make her something other than "Chrom's child", gameplay-wise.

In this case, she gets Bows because Chrom using Lances tends to be referenced more.

She also had one in Steam.

9 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

She also had one in Steam.

Indeed she did, and I think it has to do with that as well, given how easily they could have given her a Lance.

(Or it was just given to her because the other two swordfighters aren't much for range.)

13 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

She also brided up...

14 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

For some reason, only Selena dropped while Laslow & Odin still manage to be in the top 10.

Off topic: Gunther placing 12th place pleases me to no ends.

56 minutes ago, Folt said:

Yeah, I still don't get why they think it's good idea to have Lucy use a bow. The last thing she needs to be is Lyn 2.0.......not that's actually bad for me but I prefer her to be her own unique self.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

For some reason, only Selena dropped while Laslow & Odin still manage to be in the top 10.

Off topic: Gunther placing 12th place pleases me to no ends.

I loved that, since Gunter is probably one of my favorite Fates characters.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Yeah, I still don't get why they think it's good idea to have Lucy use a bow. The last thing she needs to be is Lyn 2.0.......not that's actually bad for me but I prefer her to be her own unique self.

Like I said, probably to differentiate her from her father in terms of secondary weapons.

3 minutes ago, Folt said:

I loved that, since Gunter is probably one of my favorite Fates characters.

Him being the closest thing for Corrin to have father is something I thoroughly enjoyed.

8 minutes ago, Folt said:

Like I said, probably to differentiate her from her father in terms of secondary weapons.

Assuming Lyn makes the cut what would differentiate her from Lucy?

Chrom & Lucy can still use the same weapons, just emphasis the difference in style.

3 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Him being the closest thing for Corrin to have father is something I thoroughly enjoyed.

Aye. It was pretty neat, and I hope he is playable in this game.

3 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Assuming Lyn makes the cut what would differentiate her from Lucy?

Chrom & Lucy can still use the same weapons, just emphasis the difference in style.

Lucina in this game uses moreso the style of her father which, while she is faster, isn't exactly the kind of finesse (or the speed for the matter) you'd expect from someone like Lyn, even if both use the same weapon types.

Edited by Folt

15 minutes ago, Folt said:

Aye. It was pretty neat, and I hope he is playable in this game.

At the very least he should get referenced.

15 minutes ago, Folt said:

Lucina in this game uses moreso the style of her father which, while she is faster, isn't exactly the kind of finesse (or the speed for the matter) you'd expect from someone like Lyn, even if both use the same weapon types.

Well I could how argue how Lyn can fight differently altogether from Lucy. It's not like I if Alm got confirm that Lyn would play just like him.

Edited by Zangetsu

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

At the very least he should get referenced.

Indeed.

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

Well I could how argue how Lyn can fight differently altogether from Lucy. It's not like I think if Alm got confirm that Lyn would play just like him.

Which is kinda the point: The only thing Lyn and Lucina have in common with each other for this would be that they wield a sword and a bow... and that's it.

1 minute ago, Folt said:

Indeed.

Which is kinda the point: The only thing Lyn and Lucina have in common with each other for this would be that they wield a sword and a bow... and that's it.

You forgot how they're also the best girls beside Azura.

It would be nice Lyn actually dual wield with Sol Katti on hand & Mani Katti on the other.

10 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Don't make me dislike the bow.

10 hours ago, Folt said:

Indeed.

Well, character wise they actually have a thing or two in common, but combat wise, yeah, they're not to similar. 

21 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

They're returning characters though, like Zeke and the Pegasus Sisters in Echoes, even if the explanation to get them into Fates was very contrived. The actual rehashes from Hoshido's 2nd gen were a failure as far as popularity goes.

11 minutes ago, NeonZ said:

They're returning characters though, like Zeke and the Pegasus Sisters in Echoes, even if the explanation to get them into Fates was very contrived. The actual rehashes from Hoshido's 2nd gen were a failure as far as popularity goes.

Well, yeah, at least the Awakening trio are those three characters and not just cheap knockoffs. Makes sense to me.

Takumi and Camilla came to mind and the two of them would make a lot of sense. 

As for other "mounted" females...no, not Sully. Please no. Cherche, Caeda or Minerva would be cool. Peri would fit in just fine but I'd rather have someone else. 

Archers...Virion has TMS to draw references from, Gordin is the OG archer and Jeorge would be great to have in the game.