I just finished my first play through of this game, and I'm a little confused about Falchion; is this the same Falchion Marth uses in his games, or are there two different Falchions going on here? And if there are two, why don't we hear anything about it during Awakening? That seems like the kind of information Chrom and Co. might have found useful during the events of that game.

Edited by GamerX51

It's a different Falchion. When Naga exiled Duma, she gave him and Mila a sword created from one of her fangs so that humans would be able to defeat them if they went insane. As for why there isn't a Valentian Falchion in Awakening, I'm not sure. Maybe the sword was buried with Mila and Duma under the Mila Tree and therefore couldn't be accessed by Chrom and the others. It's also possible that Chrom and the other Ylisseans simply did not know about the other Falchion (although Virion and Cherche should have known about it).

It could be Alm took the Falchion to his tomb when he died instead of pass it down the royal family (Like a sane ruler would do with their treasured sword).

But also, last I remember, the Falchion was lodged into Duma's head so it could be when Duma was buried, the Falchion went with him. But then again, there is Act 6, but that being a canon venture could be somewhat debatable.

11 minutes ago, CriticalMiss said:

It's a different Falchion. When Naga exiled Duma, she gave him and Mila a sword created from one of her fangs so that humans would be able to defeat them if they went insane. As for why there isn't a Valentian Falchion in Awakening, I'm not sure. Maybe the sword was buried with Mila and Duma under the Mila Tree and therefore couldn't be accessed by Chrom and the others. It's also possible that Chrom and the other Ylisseans simply did not know about the other Falchion (although Virion and Cherche should have known about it).

I did saw the dialogue mentioned in Fire Emblem Heroes when Lucina disguised as Masked Marth in the Tempest Trial Realm asked Alm during in the second Tempest Trial, I do recall remembering that she said she does know Alm is wielding the other Falchion and is the second Hero-King. I'm pretty sure the Valentia Falchion might have been buried under in Mila's Tree since it was on Duma's head after his battle and the Falchion from Marth's timeline and Chrom's timeline possibly the only active Falchion.

Edited by King Marth 64

1 minute ago, CriticalMiss said:

OR, given that the last time Falchion was ever seen again was within Duma's head that Alm stabbed into him much like with Mila previously by Emperor Rudolf, the sword could very well still be lodged and sealed within Duma's remains, so as to ensure that he--along with Mila--never reawakens.

While no definitive proof exists, within the very scene of Duma's defeat, Alm never actually takes it out of him, if that says anything.

1 minute ago, Azz said:

It could be Alm took the Falchion to his tomb when he died instead of pass it down the royal family (Like a sane ruler would do with their treasured sword).

But also, last I remember, the Falchion was lodged into Duma's head so it could be when Duma was buried, the Falchion went with him. But then again, there is Act 6, but that being a canon venture could be somewhat debatable.

I'd say that Act 6 is moreso a "canon cameo", so to speak. Meaning, that while it doesn't canonically happen, the contents within it ARE, as it explains

Spoiler

Grima's existance.

5 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I did saw the dialogue mentioned in Fire Emblem Heroes when Lucina disguised as Masked Marth in the Tempest Trial Realm asked Alm during in the second Tempest Trial, I do recall remembering that she said she does know Alm is wielding the other Falchion and is the second Hero-King. I'm pretty sure the Valentia Falchion might have been buried under in Mila's Tree since it was on Duma's head after his battle and the Falchion from Marth's timeline and Chrom's timeline possibly the only active Falchion.

I forgot about that dialogue. But is Heroes canon? There's some information that conflicts with the games like how Celica is at Nuibaba's Abode.

32 minutes ago, CriticalMiss said:

I forgot about that dialogue. But is Heroes canon? There's some information that conflicts with the games like how Celica is at Nuibaba's Abode.

WAAAAIT! THE VISION OF CELICA AT NUIBABA'S ABODE IS A LIE?!?!?! I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THAT FAR!!!!

…JK, I beat the game.

1 hour ago, GamerX51 said:

I just finished my first play through of this game, and I'm a little confused about Falchion; is this the same Falchion Marth uses in his games, or are there two different Falchions going on here? And if there are two, why don't we hear anything about it during Awakening? That seems like the kind of information Chrom and Co. might have found useful during the events of that game.

There are two, but outside of Heroes the Kingsfang Falchion is never mentioned so nobody knows why it never came up during Awakening. As it is, the existence of the Kingsfang Falchion would only have been helpful if both versions of the Blade of Light Falchion(Chrom's and Lucina's) were somehow lost, so it wasn't super necessary. For now, all we can do is speculate and hope we'll hear what happened someday(maybe in another time-traveling DLC episode a la Before Awakening for FE Switch?). In the meantime, I'll copypaste my personal hypothesis from the last thread I saw like this:

One possibility that I came up with involves Grima, who appears in the Thabes Labyrinth post-game in Echoes. Alm seals him away using the Kingsfang Falchion for 1000 years(assuming that Naga stating that Grima would be sealed for 1k years if Chrom killed him in Awakening is from prior experience), and it's stated in the credits endings that the Dynasty created by Alm lasted just about 1000 years. Awakening is also set around 2000 years after Shadow Dragon and consequently Echoes assuming what I read about the timeline was true, and the first Exalt struck Grima down 1000 years before Awakening, which happens to coincide with both Grima's release from his seal and the end of the Alm Dynasty. Because of this, my theory is that because Alm never fully realized what Grima was and/or believed him completely destroyed, he never prepared any countermeasures for the event of Grima's return. 1k yrs. later, Grima wakes up, probably ticked off, finds his way to Valentia, destroys the Kingsfang Falchion(after all, it likely lost some of its power by that time just as BoL Falchion had its power sealed by the time the first Exalt came around and could possibly be destroyed by a sufficient amount of power not to mention that Valentia had no Prism Mountain equivalent where the last Alm Dynast could have performed the Awakening necessary to defeat Grima once more) and ends the Alm Dynasty simultaneously(this could also be a reasonable time for the continent to have changed its name to Valm), then returns to Archanea for some reason, where the first Exalt, whoever he/she may be(hope we get that for a game too, btw), seals Grima away, likely in the location of the Dragon's Table as I can't really see why else the place would mean so much to the Grimleal. Speaking of, this would mean that the Grimleal are a fairly new religion in the history of Archanea/Valentia, likely a split-off part of the old Duma Faithful. - SoulWeaver, 2017

Hardly real canon, but it's a theory that seems to fit with what little info the games have given us in regards to the Kingsfang Falchion and the time between Echoes and Awakening, albeit with a couple of leaps of faith, so hopefully this makes enough sense for you to be content with it until we hopefully get more info from the primary source.

Edited by SoulWeaver

30 minutes ago, CriticalMiss said:

Not really. The entire scenario is pretty much a mish-mash. The Tempest Trials themselves are supposed to be distortions, so nothing that happens during them is "real". Also, Heroes Alm, based on his dialogue, is still late Act I/early Act III Alm, though he has the Falchion.

47 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Why isn't the Valentian Falchion anywhere to be seen in Awakening? Because whoever wrote Valm's role in that game is a complete doof who couldn't even get it's geography right.

You have to keep in mind that they thought Awakening would most likely be the last Fire Emblem. With no rerelease of older games likely, why would they be so very serious about doing their homework when they thought nobody would call them out on it? Gaiden was made for either the Famicom or the Super Famicom, I don't remember which, comparable to the NES and SNES respectively, and was therefore so old that almost nobody would have any real way to check them on their job.

It's also important to remember that the game is set around 2000 years after Echoes. 2000 years is a pretty long time, long enough for the geography of a continent to undergo drastic changes, especially taking into account the movement of people on its face. Also, Awakening's over world map is naturally zoomed out more in comparison to Echoes, so if you're using those as your comparison then you're going to run into problems.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

You have to keep in mind that they thought Awakening would most likely be the last Fire Emblem. With no rerelease of older games likely, why would they be so very serious about doing their homework when they thought nobody would call them out on it? Gaiden was made for either the Famicom or the Super Famicom, I don't remember which, comparable to the NES and SNES respectively, and was therefore so old that almost nobody would have any real way to check them on their job.

It's also important to remember that the game is set around 2000 years after Echoes. 2000 years is a pretty long time, long enough for the geography of a continent to undergo drastic changes, especially taking into account the movement of people on its face. Also, Awakening's over world map is naturally zoomed out more in comparison to Echoes, so if you're using those as your comparison then you're going to run into problems.

That certainly explains why Valentia looks huge compared to Valm