Dual System? Yay or Nay?

Køkø

Dual System?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Dual System be a standard mechanic from now on?

• Yes (Awakening Style)
    • Yes (Fates Style)
    • Yes (With Tweaks)
    • Neutral
    • No

Did you enjoy the Dual System? IS has shown that it's capable of making gameplay very interesting with Conquest. While in others it's a gamebreaker. I'm pretty mixed on the matter, I did enjoy Fates' Shield Gauge system but classic FE is what I'm particularly fond of for some reason. I'm trying to find a way to blend them. Should the Dual System stay? Are you content with a particular style? Do you like it but want to tweak it?  Let me know what you think, and vote if you feel like it. 

Edited by Køkø

I personally do not like Pair Up. At all. I think it just adds unnecessary complication and should be removed. I'd much rather have rescue back.

I'm pretty neutral on the Dual System. If it should return, i'd prefer it to be Fates' version, as that was actually balanced and not broken like it was in Awakening. But i won't miss it if it's gone. Shadows of Valentia is my favorite FE and it was fun even without the pair-up strategies.

Let's be real though, aside from remakes, Pair-Ups are here to stay.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Let's be real though, aside from remakes, Pair-Ups are here to stay.

This is what I call "jumping to conclusions". There's only been two games released since Awakening introduced pair up, and one of those was a remake.

That being said, I'm neutral on the subject. But if it does stay, it should be the way it works in Fates.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Generally nay. I don't really think they add that much and are pretty unnecessary. 

But if they stay, definitely the Fates style. Awakening's pair-ups are hilariously broken. 

I didn't like them in Awakening because they were way to OP, however I loved how it was done in fates

I like how it encourages unit positioning and how it's a risk reward system where you get better stats on one unit, but now you are down a guy

fates' system was way cool and actually had interesting applications for both you and the enemy, unlike awakening's which was just a huge buff and rescue which was just a bizarre mechanic

5 hours ago, Darrman said:

I personally do not like Pair Up. At all. I think it just adds unnecessary complication and should be removed. I'd much rather have rescue back.

Yep me too since pair up and casual mode where introduced I had hard time playing classic fire emblem and hard time in fe echoes 

I'd prefer something that doesn't have one of my units sitting in a dimensional bench buffing the main unit as if they had just done the fusion dance + performing assist attacks like Marvel vs Capcom. Ataching an unit to another does not give me the same feeling as actively using that unit.

I'd keep the mechanic with adjacent units whose name I forgot, make it exclusive and rework it.

Personally, I like how broken it was in awakening, but I do realize that fates version is the more balanced version. And though I've grew semi-accustomed to it, I actually still rather prefer the single unit combat, with support bonuses. And one idea I think that would have made Echoes better in my opinion was literally have Alm and Celica pair up for the final blow against Duma, given they're both the Protagonists, but Alm gets the lead and Celica gets the shaft.

While I personally prefer not having it, the Fates version is alright enough.  I still found myself pairing up and not separating much (because protection from enemy dual strikes is absolutely huge and makes things a lot less stressful), but it's not as stupidly broken and removing most of the RNG was very nice.

Awakening's version was god-awful though.  Please never bring that back IS.

• 4 months later...

I would rather it not be in FE at all but if it stays I would like to have a feature in the options menu where the pair up features can be turned off. This way it's there for those that enjoy this mechanic, but those that don't care for it can turn it off and aren't forced to use it or be punished for not using it.

• Integrity locked and unlocked this topic