Dawn Brigade vs. Greil's Mercenaries

In which class is the DB unit better than GM's?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. In which class is the DB unit better than GM's?

• Swordmaster (Edward > Mia)
    • Sniper (Leonardo > Rolf + Shinon)
    • Warrior (Nolan > Boyd)
    • Halberdier (Aran > Nephenee)
    • Bishop (Laura > Rhys)
    • General (Meg > Brom + Gatrie)
    • Paladin (Fiona > Oscar)
    • Dragon Master (Jill > Haar)
    • none of them
  2. 2. In which class is the DB unit as good as the GM's?

• Swordmaster (Edward = Mia)
    • Sniper (Leonardo = Rolf + Shinon)
    • Warrior (Nolan = Boyd)
    • Halberdier (Aran = Nephenee)
    • Bishop (Laura = Rhys)
    • General (Meg = Brom + Gatrie)
    • Paladin (Fiona = Oscar)
    • Dragon Master (Jill = Haar)
    • none of them

In this thread I let you vote who represents the better unit of one class: The Dawn Brigade (DB) or Greil's Mercenaries (GM).
I count everyone as GM who is playable in 3-2 at the latest so Brom, Haar and Nephenee are in as well.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

In most cases the Greil Mercs are better.  Edward is probably better than Mia and Nolan might be better than Boyd.  Neph and Aran are pretty neck and neck though Aran's availability might edge him out if trained though I always end up using Neph and focusing on Nolan, Micaiah, and Edward in the DB chapters.  All the rest GMs take it.

Nolan and Edward immediately stand out as two exceptionally competent units in an otherwise iffy batch of scrubs. And will be putting in a ton of work over the course of a play-through, whether or not you bring them to the endgame.

Whereas Mia and Boyd can and often will be pushed aside as the less-competent of Ike's superhumans. With units like Gatrie, Shinon, and Haar, and Ike himself carry the lion's share of the load.  

A similar argument can probably be made for Aran v. Nephenee. Although Nephenee will be a noticeably more competent in the endgame, due to doubling and not getting doubled. And Aran will play more like an inferior version of Gatrie. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Every Greil Merc is better than every DB unit except for Mia, imo. Edward is better than her.

Also, Brom, Nephenee, Jill, and Haar aren't members of either group. They really shouldn't be in the poll.

Edited by Anacybele

Aran and Nephenee are pretty much equal. I think the choice between the two is ultimately a choice of which you prefer rather than who is better.

I would say Boyd and Nolan are also about equal. The only difference between them is Nolan requires more training while Boyd is pretty much ready to go from the start.

I personally preferred Mia over Edward, though Edward is probably better than she is. Ultimately though, Stefan was the one to go into end game due to transfer bonuses and personal preference.

Leonardo is unfortunately weaker than them. The only other archer weaker than Leo is Astrid. Didnt stop me from using Leonardo though, I hated Shinon and Rolf was too whiny.

I dont think there is even a contest between Laura and Rhys. Rhys is by far the better option. Same with Fiona and Oscar. And Meg and Gatrie/Brom. Hell, Tauroneo is a better option than her even with his limited screen time.

The only other one I would say are just about equal is Haar and Jill. The big difference here is that Haar starts off as a total bad ass, Jill has to built from the ground up. But if you put time into her she can become just about on par with Haar's capabilities. Its just a matter of getting there.

Spoiler
11 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Leonardo is unfortunately weaker than them. The only other archer weaker than Leo is Astrid. Didnt stop me from using Leonardo though, I hated Shinon and Rolf was too whiny.

Shinon is one of those units that's so good, you are making the game harder on yourself by not using him.

To this day I regard Takumi as the second-best sniper Fire Emblem. Because I regard Shinon as #1.

Edited by Shoblongoo

Just now, Shoblongoo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Shinon is one of those units that's so good, you are making the game harder on yourself by not using him.

To this day, I regard Takumi as the second-best sniper Fire Emblem. Because I regard Shinon as #1.

Sure, but it really doesnt make the game that much harder. I use him all the way up to the end game parts, and then its Leo that goes in. The whole making it harder thing never bothered me. Its not like its that much harder to use Leonardo over Shinon.

19 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Every Greil Merc is better than every DB unit except for Mia, imo. Edward is better than her.

Also, Brom, Nephenee, Jill, and Haar aren't members of either group. They really shouldn't be in the poll.

Well yes, they're not an original member of Greil's Mercenaries and few of them can switch sides.
However mentioned units have a comparable availibility in their group so it's a fair competition I guess.

@Shoblongoo

To this day I regard Takumi as the second-best sniper Fire Emblem. Because I regard Shinon as #1.

You're not the only one.
(tbf Takumi hasn't been existed here)

Spoiler

Funnily enough I don't think Shinon is better than Rolf overall.
Sure he's better in the beginning but Rolf will outclass him in strength very soon.
Both are tied the best archers in FE for me.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

7 minutes ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

Well yes, they're not an original member of Greil's Mercenaries and few of them can switch sides.
However mentioned units have a comparable availibility in their group so it's a fair competition I guess.

Well, alright, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

Nolan and Edward immediately stand out as two exceptionally competent units in an otherwise iffy batch of scrubs. And will be putting in a ton of work over the course of a play-through, whether or not you bring them to the endgame.

Nolan, yes. Edward... Not so much. In fact, I found him to only make things harder than they already were because he can't dodge attacks if his life depended on it. Because, you know, it does.

Anyway, as to the question, the only real instances where I'd say the Mercs lose out are Boyd and Rhys (that being said, he and Laura are healers at the end of the day, so ehhh), with Aran and Nephenee being more arguable.

Personally, I think that although the GMs are conveniently good, it doesn't mean that the DB aren't. Until recently I never bothered using any of the DB units because it was easier to just use higher leveled units. It's just preference of who you like using, I guess.

Nolan is definitely superior to Boyd. Joins stronger relative to the rest of his team (he's your best unit in C1, then second best until Volug joins, while Boyd is pretty far down the list of GMs), ends up better for endgame (better speed + earth supports). Not seeing the argument for Boyd at all.

He was excluded from the poll but Sothe is rather clearly more useful than Heather, too.

On the other hand I'm confused at the people saying Edward. I find his durability quite atrocious while Mia's is workable, and Mia stands out as being one of the few GMs who can reliably double faster enemies. Also, avoid in general (which swordmasters tend towards) is a more effective method of survival in the GM maps since they have authority stars, especially for units who don't have avoid-boosting affinities (obviously they can support those with them, but it's not enough in Edward's case IMO).

18 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

On the other hand I'm confused at the people saying Edward. I find his durability quite atrocious while Mia's is workable, and Mia stands out as being one of the few GMs who can reliably double faster enemies. Also, avoid in general (which swordmasters tend towards) is a more effective method of survival in the GM maps since they have authority stars, especially for units who don't have avoid-boosting affinities (obviously they can support those with them, but it's not enough in Edward's case IMO).

Mostly a good offensive unit while he can kill things he needs other units like Leonardo to support him and shouldn't take on more than two units a turn early on in the DB chapters.  But yeah he is a bit of a glass cannon.

Actually Edward is the strongest first tier unit if you play without FE9 transfers.
With A support with either Micky and Leo he can ORKO everyone aside of knights with a steel sword, knights with brave sword.
He's a fantastic PP unit... but a very shaky EP unit. However he should take two steel lance soldiers at least. Fighters and archers will 2RKO him usually even with A support.

2 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Mostly a good offensive unit while he can kill things he needs other units like Leonardo to support him and shouldn't take on more than two units a turn early on in the DB chapters.  But yeah he is a bit of a glass cannon.

"A bit of a glass cannon"? Understatement much?

On 8/11/2017 at 10:24 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

"A bit of a glass cannon"? Understatement much?

Ok maybe more like a paper bomb but you get the point lol.

Edited by LordOTaco

• 1 month later...

In my Radiant Dawn playthrough, my Edward was ridiculously blessed to the extent he leveled strength almost every single time in his first tier class and ended up reaching Zihark's level by the time Zihark joins. Also I decided to not use GM much in part 3 so that I can eradicate them with the DB in 3-13. Despite having such a good Edward and giving him favoritism Mia ended up just as good as him by the end game. Considering how in general Mia is far ahead of him and Edward doesn't really surpass her by much, I'd say Mia is far superior to Edward. 

Edward is still my favorite myrmidon that starts off at a low level though. He's doing much better than PoR Mia though which is a better comparison because Mia isn't a swordmaster yet. 

Nolan's speed is better than Boyd's strength because speed is more important in this game than strength. In FE7, it would be the other way around. 

Laura is more useful than Rhys due to her healing being uncontested in part one unlike in part three where Rhys and Mist can both heal. Also, the DB need healing more than the GM. Their combat is pretty bad because of light tomes having bad damage and due to their speed. Laura has a high-speed growth but she'll lower up too slowly to take advantage of it. 

Yknow, for a hot second there I was confused at all the people saying Nolan was anywhere close to Boyd, because my last Boyd was an unkillable god who no one except maybe Gatrie (who I baby the hell out of, 'cause he's my bro) and Aran/Nephenee could compare to.

Then I remembered that I gave Boyd Vantage, and he barely took a hit for the rest of the game. That was a trip.

Anyway, long story short, I don't think any of the DB are explicitly better than the Greil Mercs, though it does depend on how you take care of them. My Laura and Rhys have wound up pretty equal in almost every run, as have my Aran and Nephenee. There's no reason not to use DB over GM, but using all of them is probably gonna put some of your Laguz units at risk, and Janaff is too precious to me for that amount of snackrifice.

14 hours ago, Chad Radwell said:

There's no reason not to use DB over GM, but using all of them is probably gonna put some of your Laguz units at risk, and Janaff is too precious to me for that amount of snackrifice.

I dunno what you mean by this, because frankly, most laguz units suck in RD anyway.

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I dunno what you mean by this, because frankly, most laguz units suck in RD anyway.

Whaaaaaaaat? I'm gonna hard disagree on that, friend, but you do you and I'll do me. 

Edward is way too much of a liability and tends to play second fiddle to Zihark in the DB chapters. It can be argued that Zihark>Mia though.

Nolan>Boyd all the way. While Boyd is okay, he's an okay unit among mostly great units in Part 3 while Nolan is a good unit  among mostly bad units 

48 minutes ago, Chad Radwell said:

Whaaaaaaaat? I'm gonna hard disagree on that, friend, but you do you and I'll do me. 

My big issue with laguz is that they're generally too slow to improve for my taste, especially relative to beorc units. Basically, if a beorc unit is struggling, I can just give them a stronger weapon; a laguz unit that's struggling is out of luck. It doesn't help that for all the crap I have to put up with when trying to use them, they just don't do well enough on the battlefield to justify dealing with their disadvantages; there are exceptions, yes, but they're the exception, rather than the rule.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia