Was mega evolution ever necessary for you in X&Y?

DisobeyedCargo

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Not really - most of my Y team (admittedly, I tend to rotate) couldn't mega evolve. Just what're you planning on using, btw?

My team is:

Delphox

Leafeon (yes, I will be dragging an eevee all the way with me to route 20)

Noivern

Goodra

Lapras

Gallade (could mega evolve in ORAS, not in X&Y)

I mainly play wonderlocke's when I replay X & Y and I rarely get Pokemon that can Mega Evolve during the main campaign. And on one play-through my MVP was Dylan the Gyarados (no mega evolution). So the main campaign is fine without a Mega, especially since only a small hand full can during that period.

I had Blastoise on my X team, but he was pretty much used for Surf and didn't see much Mega Evolution. There's so little Mega Evolution in the main story that even keeping one Mega Evolution-capable Pokemon can be too much. So no, it wasn't necessarily for me to use at all.

Edited by AzureSen

For the main story, mega evolution was never needed. EXP share made the game a cakewalk and even with it off, the game wasn't too bad. It really was more for fun.

For competitive play, it is a necessity depending on the Pokémon. The Kanto starters especially needed them to be viable.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

For the main story, mega evolution was never needed. EXP share made the game a cakewalk and even with it off, the game wasn't too bad. It really was more for fun.

For competitive play, it is a necessity depending on the Pokémon. The Kanto starters especially needed them to be viable.

Agreed on the competitive front, Venusaur was probably the most consistent IMO. 

Well, sounds like I don't need to worry about that 

When I played it, I only used it in serious battle like important npc's or gym leaders/elite 4. My team did kinda revolve around it

Greninja, Event Blaziken, Charizard, Lucario, Pikachu (yes I had a pikachu in my party the entire game and still have not evolved him), and a Diggersby (had pickup so I was like "Free items why not"

Yeah not the best team but it got the job done, I know the weakness's are high, but I did pick a few counterpick moves on them to balance it out (that and Charizard was actually the mon to weaken stuff)

The gimmicks of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves aren't mandatory for your use. I Mega evolved all the time in X because I like Mega Evolving, but it's an optional feature and it doesn't really need to be used. The same can be said for Z-Moves which I barely touched until I finally settled on the notion of it being put on my Ash-Greninja in the tiny aftergame.

If you don't want to use it. Don't.

Though Steven's Megagross in Omega Ruby (unrelated though this is) really caught me in a desperate loop and thrashed me 2 or 3 times even with it. Since you're on XY though, go right ahead and do as you wish.

1 hour ago, Light Strategist said:

The gimmicks of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves aren't mandatory for your use. I Mega evolved all the time in X because I like Mega Evolving, but it's an optional feature and it doesn't really need to be used. The same can be said for Z-Moves which I barely touched until I finally settled on the notion of it being put on my Ash-Greninja in the tiny aftergame.

If you don't want to use it. Don't.

Though Steven's Megagross in Omega Ruby (unrelated though this is) really caught me in a desperate loop and thrashed me 2 or 3 times even with it. Since you're on XY though, go right ahead and do as you wish.

Sounds good, I was worried that I would struggle in game without it. 

And I agree on the Metagross, that Giga Impact WILL take out something, it's killed the most Pokémon of mine in nuzlocke challenges of mine

It wasn't necessary for any of my playthroughs of X.  Whenever I go through a first playthrough of a new generation, I use Pokemon exclusively introduced in that generation.  I was even able to do a Cyndaquil solo run in X, so definitely not a necessity for me.

Maybe I suck, but Diantha's mega gardevoir was an absolute nightmare to beat. I managed thanks to making the gardevoir trace my heliolisk's dry skin, then bringing out my charizard/mega charizard y.

It can be done, but it is after all a gimmick.

17 hours ago, MediocreLee said:

Whenever I go through a first playthrough of a new generation, I use Pokemon exclusively introduced in that generation.

Ah I do that too! Thought I was the only one. Playing through Alola was a pain because of that though. They're all so slow and mostly physically offensive instead of specially :/

Edited by Ronnie

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Ah I do that too! Thought I was the only one. Playing through Alola was a pain because of that though. They're all so slow and mostly physically offensive instead of specially :/

It's the best way for me to really connect and enjoy newer Pokemon games since what we play Pokemon for is for the Pokemon.  I was generally okay during Alola even though they were slow, but I loved my team of Incineroar, Tsareena, Vikavolt, Kommo-o, Golisopod, and Lycanroc (midnight form).  Although I did think about adding Alolan forms since they were kinda a mix of both new and old, but I stayed with just playing with the new.

I hardly ever used Megas in Gen 6 mostly because the games were really easy, so there wasn't a necessary thing. If they gave Mega Evolution earlier in the Gen 7 games I probably would have used it lot more, due to Sun/Moon being on of the harder Pokemon games.

On 8/10/2017 at 2:50 AM, MediocreLee said:

Whenever I go through a first playthrough of a new generation, I use Pokemon exclusively introduced in that generation.

While some people complained about BW's absence of non-5th gen Pokemon in the main game, I actually kinda liked it. No more falling back to Gyarados and Kadabra. It was refreshing in the sense that it also got rid of the tedium of seeing the same old Pokes returning yet again (aka cave Zubats).

This said, if a game only features the Pokemon of its gen in the main game, there better be good variety in types, accessibility to all those types, and diversity in stats too. Alternatively, just keep out the trite continually rehashed 1st gen Pokes and go for latter gen ones that are more niche.

• 2 months later...

In spite of all the free Mega Stones, it honestly felt like the main game was limiting you with what you could do with the new feature (i.e. the vast majority of Mega Stones were reserved for the post game, rendering a small number of Megas accessible before then), and that really annoyed me. I'm so glad that didn't carry over to ORAS and Sun and Moon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2017 at 5:29 PM, Water Mage said:

I hardly ever used Megas in Gen 6 mostly because the games were really easy, so there wasn't a necessary thing. If they gave Mega Evolution earlier in the Gen 7 games I probably would have used it lot more, due to Sun/Moon being on of the harder Pokemon games.

Who needs Mega Evolution or Z-Move, when you can have Mimikyuu (who single handledly destroyed Hala's 1st Elite FourTeam without taking any damage. While being underleveled) ?
There's ton of amazing new Pokémons to chose from(Mudsdale, obviously, but Bewear or Minior also seems good.), so it's not that necessary.

X and Y is harder than ORAS (where keeping the game challenging is the hardest part.), but it's not that hard.

Besides, your team isn't limited to 6 Pokémon anymore. I had around 9 team members on X, plus all the utilty ones (Diggersby the Pickup Artist, and all kind of HM Slaves) And despite using more than 6 Pokémon, I was at the right level or above all around.

If you use only 6 Pokémon, you'll be largely overleveled at the end, so you won't have to worry.

• 3 weeks later...

I never used mega evolutions in X because my team was all Kalos pokemon and they didn't have megas. The exp share is so overpowered in X and Y that I was overleveled the whole time and it wasn't a problem.

I did use mega Sceptile in Omega Ruby though. It's not necessary to use mega evolutions in ORAS either, but you get the mega stone for your starter just playing through the story so I thought "why not?"