Marrying your cousin....corrin's not the only one!

DarkDefeater

http://www.lmtonline.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/13-Celebrities-Who-Married-Relatives-From-11740370.php?ipid=hphottopics

Actor Kevin Bacon recently found out he married a relative....and there are many other people who performed a similar course of action.

Apparently, “most white people are related,” according to Kevin Bacon’s wife Kyra Sedgwick. The Hollywood couple recently learned that they’re distant cousins on PBS’s “Finding Your Roots.” This got us wondering if any other celebrity duos have shared heritage.

Albert Einstein

The revered genius married his first cousin Elsa Lowenthal.

Rudy Giuliani 

The former New York mayor married his second cousin once removed, Regina Peruggi.

Jerry Lee Lewis

The rock and roll musician married his first cousin once removed Myra Gale Brown.

David Lean

The “Lawrence of Arabia” director married his first cousin Isabel Lean.

H.G. Wells

The “War of the Worlds” author married his first cousin Isabel Mary Wells.

Charles Darwin 

The famous naturalist married his first cousin Emma Wedgewood.

Thomas Jefferson 

The Founding Father was married to his third cousin Martha Wayles.

Edgar Allan Poe

Renowned poet and writer of mystery and macabre his cousin Virginia Clemm when she was just 13 years-old.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

The former U.S. president was married to his fifth cousin once removed, Anna Eleanor Roosevelt.

John Kerry

The former U.S. Secretary of State is distant cousins with his now ex-wife Julia Thorne.

Greta Scacchi

The “Presumed Innocent” actress married her first cousin Carlo Mantegazza.

Jesse James

The infamous American outlaw of the Wild West most noted for robbing banks and trains with his brother Frank married his first cousin Zerelda Mimms after a nine-year courtship

Kevin Bacon

The actor and his wife Kyra Sedgwick are ninth cousins once removed, as they learned on PBS’s “Finding Your Roots.

Read original story 13 Celebrities Who Married Relatives, From Charles Darwin to Kevin Bacon At TheWrap

From Kevin Bacon to Albert Eistein....what do you guys think?

This makes me feel even better about Corrin and 

Spoiler

Azura.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You need to burn incest with fire. oh wait that's incense.

Or burn others' husbands for incest.

I don't see any reason for cousin relationships being labeled as incest, they're nowhere as close to siblings (genetically, I don't know, but in some cases cousins don't have such a close bond), but I don't think there can be any objective definition for what should be considered incest (other than siblings, which seems to be a consensus), so... whatever.

It's just funny seeing people treat cousin relationships as AlvisxDeirdre most of the time.

I've hooked up with a 2nd cousin. 

Marrying a 2nd cousin is Legal everywhere in the world. 1st cousins are where it gets iffy. Personally that is where I would draw the line.

Just for the record, the probabilities of genetic defects from the union of 1st cousins are actually quite small, less than about 1%. Perhaps even lower than 0.1%. That said, it's certainly not something you want to risk through with repeated generations of 1st cousins unions (as some European royals of old can attest to), but for a first time the threat isn't that big.

Ultimately, it's up to the people themselves to decide, not so much the genetics. Of course, the flat (or so) 0 chance from 2nd cousins and over is much more preferable to avoid problems altoguether; but well, I just inform, not judge.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

First cousins are 50% as genetically similar as full siblings, so if genetics are your reason to oppose one you should probably at least raise an eyebrow at the second. That said, genetics isn't really the reason to oppose incest IMO.

1 hour ago, DarkDefeater said:

ninth cousins

Okay this is just silly. Ninth cousins have statistically no genetic similarity at all, they're really just random strangers at that point. I wouldn't even call such people cousins; by that logic, you're cousins with literally every other human since we all have a common ancestor if you go back for enough.

Heh, interesting story.  Also, I'd like to add that, while not married, Bernie Sanders and Larry David are related.  Funny because I think they couldn't look any more similar.

Also Kevin Bacon is awesome, totally underrated. 

12 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

First cousins are 50% as genetically similar as full siblings, so if genetics are your reason to oppose one you should probably at least raise an eyebrow at the second. That said, genetics isn't really the reason to oppose incest IMO.

Okay this is just silly. Ninth cousins have statistically no genetic similarity at all, they're really just random strangers at that point. I wouldn't even call such people cousins; by that logic, you're cousins with literally every other human since we all have a common ancestor if you go back for enough.

Yeah, once you get beyond second cousin, the odds of genetic overlap causing problems goes way down.  That being said, the idea of hooking up at the family reunion strikes me as squicky, possibly since I was raised along side several of my second cousins.

If having inbred offspring is the chief reason for the aversion to cousin mating, it's odd that it also extends to lesbians.  Several of my cousins are what I would consider pretty attractive, but I've never felt romantic feelings for them

In Virginia, we have a lot of jokes about people from West Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina. In particular, there is a city in NC where my grandmother grew up. Everybody looked the same because nobody in town was more than a third cousin to everybody else. My grandmother gained notoriety by marrying an "outsider" from VA, even though it turned out that they were still distant relatives.

2 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

In Virginia, we have a lot of jokes about people from West Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina. In particular, there is a city in NC where my grandmother grew up. Everybody looked the same because nobody in town was more than a third cousin to everybody else. My grandmother gained notoriety by marrying an "outsider" from VA, even though it turned out that they were still distant relatives.

That city in NC is confirmed to be a hidden village from Naruto. I wonder what their clan's eye power is.

57 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That city in NC is confirmed to be a hidden village from Naruto. I wonder what their clan's eye power is.

They're really good at burning witches down there, so maybe that's a clue.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:10 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Nah, it's not nearly that high.

On average you share 12.5% genetics with your first cousin (25% as genetically similar as full siblings). Genetics-wise, marrying your first cousin is mostly fine; genetic problems tend to occur when you have offspring of cousins marrying cousins (i.e. multi-generational cousin marriage). 

That being said, it's definitely iffy in today's world, what with our immense population and ease of travel. 

Second cousins - not for me, but having said that I've only met 3 of my second cousins and I only met them once; I imagine most people haven't met their second cousins, either. So at least people are rarely brought up knowing their second cousins. 

The second half of your post is spot on, though. The average person has over half a million 8th cousins. And millions of us are related if you go back more than 10 generations or so. Go back 1,000 years and you're related to whole continents.

• 2 weeks later...

On 2017-08-10 at 4:14 PM, Res said:

Nah, it's not nearly that high.

On average you share 12.5% genetics with your first cousin (25% as genetically similar as full siblings). Genetics-wise, marrying your first cousin is mostly fine; genetic problems tend to occur when you have offspring of cousins marrying cousins (i.e. multi-generational cousin marriage). 

Good catch, yeah. It's your aunt/uncle who are 25% similarity; for some reason I forgot about that stage of the equation (i.e. that you share 50% of your genes with your parent, who shares 50% of their genes with their sibling, who shares 50% of their genes with their child = 12.5%, as you said).