Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5

Shin

The village was in a rather poor state by the time they'd reached it. But it was certainly not beyond saving. Knowing that, Freya readied her deadliest lance, at least for starters. Not far ahead there were two foes with swords, armored in gold even more heavily than she was, with menacing stances toward the Wykians... she smirked. All that... better summed up as easy targets! "Deira's army, putting all that training to work here! Point your blades towards me if you are worth of calling yourselves soldiers at all!"

Freya starts on 3, 11!

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royal Pants Meeting (Castle Tytila, Evening of 17th April, 812) (Suleiman recruitment)

Spoiler

The day had been wild, with arrests, police hunts and the like had all preceeded an important meeting. Owen had been invited to the same study that Adele and Cass had the previous day. Lead by a pair of guards, Owen passed through the corridors, delving deep into the heart of Tytila Castle. He was ushered in through the quaint door, into the study. It was a small cosy room with towering shelves full of books, desks covered in paperwork, all suggesting that Ethel was still rather fond of her reading. There was a gentle scent of vanilla in the air, just enough to flavour the room. Sat opposite Owen in her armchair, Ethel wore a loose red dress with long sleeves - she wasn't making any public appearances for the rest of the night. Smiling as she gazed at Owen, she slumped down in her seat a little.

"So good of you to come and see me, Prince Owen." she laughed, one of her maids placing a duo of glasses by the two royals. "After all that had happened today, I was almost afraid you would be too exhausted to meet with me. But I'm glad to have a chance to meet you without the apes that I call my nobles. They always seem to get in the way, perhaps I should replace a few of them?"

The maid bowed, quickly leaving the room without any prompts from Ethel, leaving the pair alone.

"Now, I imagine you experienced a whole host of things on your journey here... as well as some trouble whilst you were at home." she added, leaning forwards playfully. "You do appear to be unfortunate, trouble seems to find you wherever you go. The curse of being royalty, no?"

---

The noble that asked for a meeting with Owen never showed up, which left a bitter taste on Owen's mouth. He could've used the time to rest before meeting the Queen in her quarters, especially after today's struggles --the day practically flew by for the prince. Still, Owen would have his rest later, so he could very well make it to the castle at the proper time.

"Of course, Queen Ethel, I do not go back on my word... at least once I am resolved." Remembering his hesitance at the prison, the prince knew too well not to sell himself that high. "And I made it a point to show up." With the glasses set down, Owen took a seat, taking the notion to be fine after the maid left.

Ethel went on with her notion to remove some of the nobles, a thought so expected of her that a low chuckle escaped the prince. It was fascinating at times how much the whims of a woman ruled a kingdom as relevant as Raewald, though Owen didn't really understand her views. And of course, Ethel had her reasons to meet the prince as it stood, starting fairly slow, but surprising with her knowledge of inner affairs. "...Yes, I don't think I have faced as many trials as lately, to be honest." He admitted, picking up his glass. "I did not expect news to travel this far of our troubles at home, but all the same, they were resolved quickly. Of course, Deira seized the opportunity as soon as I left Wyke to speak with you." Owen sighed, "I don't know if it is my blood, but it is work to step up to."

---

Taking her own glass, Ethel watched Owen as he reaffirmed his desire to cooperate. "Such confidence in your actions is good to see. The guard who captured your sister is currently enjoying a three month relocation to the asylum. The inmates have become rather rowdy as of late. Despite the interesting inhabitants, I have been able to source a priest for your sister's wedding. Perhaps you need a little madness in order to make progress?"

Ethel laughed, taking another sip from her own glass. "Our diplomats do their best to keep us up to date with Wyke's happenings. It's very difficult to get too much more, your father's friend, Duke Herman, has all your secrets under lock and key. Even if we were so bold to field spies, I doubt we would get too much. Deira's far looser with their security... which might work in our favour." she added, very much aware of her mischief. "Tell me, Owen, what would you like to do? Your father was a powerful man, but you are not a copy of him, you are his son. What would Prince Owen of Wyke do with war looming ahead?"

---

"I see, so he is... three months should be fine." All things considered, that wasn't so bad. They were a rowdy bunch in the asylum no doubt, but they were just unarmed madmen. It couldn't be a bad punishment over being rough to foreign royalty. "I see... so the priest was in that asylum?" That was troubling, but at least they'd managed anybody at all. It really seemed that Raewald was against the love his sister and Adele held... yet Ethel couldn't care less. "It seems there have been strict rules about these things, was your late husband not a fan of the idea? Well, even if you only do this to keep up our good relations, I do appreciate the length you've gone for our sake."

The mention of Duke Herman was worth some introspection. It was true that the man was good at his job, keeping all secrets, though what worried Owen was he had no idea of the many secrets he held. He probably knew of Gewaint's nature too, huh... What a time to have become Regent. Worse yet, what a time to leave home. "What I would like to do, hm?" Owen took a sip of his glass, the question bore too much weight to be answered that easily.

What kind of ruler did he want to be? In theory, he had a world of options in front of him, but Wyke wasn't actually a strong kingdom, able to stand on its own compared to its peers. It could defend itself very well, blessed with being an island, but it was a derivative kingdom, blessed with descendants from many of the lands surrounding it. In essence, it was a haven among the powers that be in the world, focused in diplomacy and peace, but was that all it could amount to me?

"Honestly... if you'd asked me a month earlier, I'd have no idea how to answer this question." Owen was blunt, in the past he was too meek for these things. The prince knew he hoped to grow older before being thrust in the position of king, he never saw himself fit to the standards he believed in. "Now, I want to stop this war with my own hands, if at all possible. I refuse to let Wyke be trampled so callously by King Olaf, and I don't think such underhanded approach deserves diplomacy in return." Owen didn't fancy himself a warmonger, but the world needed to understand Wyke wasn't a kingdom to be bullied. Including that rotten man, Malaphar. "I can only change so much, save so many lives without power, even with the best intentions."

---

"My husband was... a rather stubborn man. It wasn't as though he was disliked, but he was notorious for refusing to move on even the smallest of issues. Perhaps a little too close to the church too, that would explain your dear sister's arrest." Ethel replied, draining the last of her glass. "I'm a little more open minded, and I quite like getting what I want. Your sister's wedding is not only my way of showing my support, but also that my nobles know that I'm serious."

Ethel looked up at a picture on the wall, smiling gently. It was of a man and a woman, the man towering over the petite woman with his muscular frame. The woman appeared rather timid looking, almost as if she were trying to hide from the portrait's creator. "It's been nearly four years since my husband died. Without any heirs or relatives to take over, it was decided that I were to continue as monarch... it looks like we're in the same position, Owen." she remarked, pausing to listen to Owen's vows to stand for his country. Her smile grew wider as Owen promised to punish Deira, a sentiment she shared.

"Then perhaps we should strike before Deira lays waste to poor Myrcia.?" she suggested, admiring the empty glass in her hand. "Myrcia will surely aid us in saving them, and then we shall reclaim Wyke. If you wished to lead a group back to your own country instead of attacking Deira's capital, I would very much support you. We can liberate Wyke, and then ensure Deira never tries to create a continental war ever again."

---

It was surprising to feel a sort of kinship with Ethel... her story wasn't all that hard to empathize with, her husband being a man set in his ways --no doubt a proud man, though his lack of an open mind meant it could be a harmful quality. I can see how he and my father could get along. In fact, it was scary how much better he understood her motives... or at least thought he understood!

"It seems so, Ethel." Owen took a sip of his own glass, agreeing on their similar position. "I must say, without having spent much time in Wyke since the decision to make me Prince Regent, the title does feel a bit of a novelty." Was it something he wasn't meant to say? He didn't know how much the other kingdoms knew of his father's state, but with Wyke under siege, and Owen always being the spokesperson, it must have been all but obvious. The diplomats probably picked up on that, anyways. "But time waits for none, so I must be capable, if I was thrust in this situation."

"Poor Myrcia indeed... they would have nothing left if Deira seized them." Owen understood enough of the mercantile land's history to know things have never been good with Deira and Raewald's dispute. As much as my father tried, he never could do anything about Myrcia, because it is a matter beyond diplomacy... It was the catalyst of all tensions and dispute, after all, not something that could be saved by a third party like Wyke if they chose to just watch the conflict from their island. Of course... the decision put Owen at a crossroad.

"I want to stop Deira before they reach that point... but there's the matter of Wyke's safety." He confessed, gaze dropping to the contents of his glass. "Not only myself, but many of the nobles I brought with me have strong concerns over the invasion, and I'm sure they'd long to go back home and defend it." It was the following realization that made the prince hesitate, "...I believe stopping Deira now would be most efficient, however." It was bold, and meant Wyke's numbers wouldn't actually do much, it meant he left his kingdom as a decoy if anything. A decision that would not inspire respect. "If we can stop them from doing more harm, their invading army would disperse, and the damage done to Wyke would be hindered." They still could go rogue and become essentially bandits, but that was a scenario they could hopefully deal with. "Moreso, traveling by ship takes quite some time. We'll need to do it twice if we return and plan to aid after we seize Wyke back, but that could take over a month."

---

Ethel appeared intrigued, especially at the mention of his title. "I'm sure you'll be able to return to carry out your duties, Owen. Reports were that your father has been making limited appearances for the last few months... but to hear that you have become Prince Regent is news to me." she replied, waiting for Owen to continue. There was an air of admiration to her gaze, as if she'd spotted a particularly adorable puppy in a store. "I'm sure your father would be proud, Owen. You might be different from him, but I'm certain that he would understand your choices."

Owen's declaration had managed to impress Ethel, she couldn't help but nod her head as he made his declaration. Applauding gently, she couldn't hide her satisfaction and approval. "Owen, I would very much support you passing through Myrcia and travelling directly to Wyke to reclaim it. Our troops' morale would skyrocket after liberating your home, and Deira would realise that they aren't as powerful as they believe." she replied, inspired by Owen's determination. "General Tarasque had devised a two pronged attack through Myrcia. It would be more than possible to include your group in the southern path, and then for you to split with some additional forces to reclaim Wyke. If anything, it would force Deira to spread their forces... defending Wyke, conquering Myrcia and preventing an invasion of their own territories would be a logistical nightmare."

---

"Ah..." It seemed he'd made an assumption too far, a bit embarrassed of something so silly to slip. But... it can't be that big of a gaffe, can it? What changes now that she knows I am the effective ruler of Wyke, instead of the all-except-formalities ruler? At least the prince bounced back quickly, "I only hope he does understand. I wish to do more than he could in his time... which is a tall order, but there is no point in aiming for less." What kind of ruler would he be, otherwise? To be content was a luxury reserved for those without the weight of others on their shoulders.

"I see... that is a sound idea." He gave pause, considering the picture Ethel presented of their plan. "I do worry that Deira might be given too much time to reunite in their homeland if we were to split... but I don't see how Wyke is going to save itself with me this far..." Not only that, two able commanders were with him, instead of defending home. What a terrible mistake. I should've told Esclabor to hurry back to our land when we found him in Magonsaete. "If we go this early, it's possible that Myrcia will fall, as well. I am of accord that I should aid General Tarasque. Right now, that seems like the better option." The split still perturbed him, could they afford it? Would they succeed? There were definitely people in his group that would voice their wishes to go back and defend Wyke, for certain. It's hard to tell how many of their forces are at home just from hearsay...

---

"To go beyond what your father achieved? That's quite the goal, Owen." Ethel replied, still admiring Owen's bold claims. She seemed enthralled by his every word, each promise to rise up and go forth only cementing her high opinion of him. "It's one thing to avoid failure, but to strive for such success is something I would love to see you aim for. Once Wyke is back in your hands, you can shape it for the better. A society more civilised than any other on the continent... I'd even be a little jealous."

Ethel gave a girlish chuckle, still impressed with the will Owen was showing. He wasn't just a boy who had been forced to take responsibility, he was a young man taking it by the horns.

"Give me time to prepare, Owen. We should have new intelligence from Wyke within a week's time, then you can make your decision. I'm certain General Tarasque would appreciate your assistance, but a free Wyke has its own merits. She's assured me that both options are viable and have a similar chance of success, but it all hinges on if you believe that you can reclaim Wyke... or if you would rather crush Deira at its core first." she added, sitting back in her seat. "It's not an easy decision to make, even I would have to give it some time to process in my head. But I'm sure you'll reach a decision."

Finishing the rest of her glass, Ethel placed it down firmly. "If I were twenty years younger, I would have perhaps asked you to become King of Raewald for me... you're quite the admirable young man." Ethel laughed, pouring herself more drink from her bottle. "I'd have competition though anyway, the Montana girl, am I right? Her father was good friends with my late husband."

---

Ethel's compliments to his ambition were very refreshing... overall, it seemed Ethel really went out of her way to please Owen, even. What was she to gain from being this nice to him? It created a disparity with the image Owen had of her since their first meeting, so feared by her noblemen... it even made little sense with how she thought of them. Was a foreign prince that interesting of a deal?

"I'll give you all the time you need. I've got my sister's wedding to prepare for, either way." Owen nodded in acceptance, there was a lot they were going to rely on Raewald for, now. It felt a bit unsettling in its underlying core, but it was what it was. Owen needed them, and they certainly appreciated an ally such as Wyke. "I'm sure I'll reach the right decision, as well." For what it was, there were more than just a couple options for when he reached that crossing road.

As Ethel set her glass down, her following words were a bit... unexpected. "Ah, thank you." He forced the words as naturally as possible, aware that Ethel thought little of indecisiveness. It wouldn't do to be shaken by an awkward compliment such as that, in front of her. Even so, her mention of Sidney did hit a chord further, the prince reaching for his collar with a free hand. "...Charlotte, yes. I've met her way back in Wyke, I had no clue she was who she was when I met her. It was after she had shown interest in me that she came out with her true identity." The prince forced a light chuckle, still remembering how casual the earlier days were. If only Sidney didn't have that baggage to carry around...

Good Engel, how was he supposed to continue the conversation now?

---

"The wedding, ah, yes." Ethel replied, recalling the event as if it were something like a tea party or a puppet show. "Most things should be ready in the next few days. Just ensure that you're suitably dressed, a spare pair of pants goes a long way. Both at weddings and on the field."

She was enthralled by Owen's tales of Sidney, hanging onto every word. A sly smile spread across her face as Owen became more flustered, more embarrassed. Part of it almost seemed like a test, whilst another part was maybe even a game to her. "How sweet, running around Wyke as a thief and then stealing the heart of their Prince. It's like something from a fairy tale... as long as the Prince is interested, no?" she teased, leaning forwards curiously. "I'm very much aware of the baggage she's carrying, and I wonder if there's anything I can do to fix that? It's been ever so interesting since your people arrived her, so many things for me to do."

---

"...I should have a set of spares. It won't do to have a drink spilled that ruins your visage." Owen concurred, setting his glass down as he was finished with the contents of his drink. "It wouldn't do otherwise." He still wasn't all that comfortable talking now that he'd dropped the Sidney bomb... but Ethel herself seemed far more curious than he accounted for.

"I..." Hoo boy, that was very... different from anything he expected. Owen didn't know what to take of Ethel's curiosity at that point, but he knew he had to say something back. "I honestly wish her the best, and it's certainly sad that she's done what she's done here... I wouldn't know the slightest thing about how Raewald would take to forgiving her, unfortunately..."

---

Ethel smirked, part of her appeared to be very much amused by making Owen squirm. "Being without a suitable pair of trousers would be rather embarrassing, would it not? My tailors would be happy to oblige, don't worry if you can't remember your measurements." she replied, watching the hesitance in Owen's response. "I suppose I could overlook a petty theft or two... and an escape from prison. It would be ever so tedious to explain to Marquess Montana why his daughter was at the chopping block. He's a little too chummy for my tastes, but my late husband got along well with him."

Yawning, Ethel eyed the bottle of wine intently, although she quickly decided against another glass. "I've also got someone I'd like to loan to you. I hear your group has quite the assortment of unusual weaponry." she replied, changing the topic from Owen's surreal love life. "He's quite the soldier, but also rather adept at repairs on the field. His talents would be wasted if he were to remain defending Raewald."

---

"Ah..." For every push by Ethel, Owen continued on guard. It was as if he was stepping on a muddy barn, trying to keep his shoes from stepping in animal droppings. A wrong move and he'd feel he messed up every effort. "...Could you really?" Owen found it hard to believe, but he never knew with Ethel. A box full of surprises. "If she were, I'm sure that'd be no small thing to overlook, but it would make her family rest easy... and I as well." For all intents and purposes, she was still part of his group, and he wanted to keep it that way, too.

The following topic felt far more normal to speak of, Owen nodding at Ethel's information. "I'd gladly take him with us, if you so wish. If there's any other assignments you wish for me to give him. I will do to the best of my ability as well."

---

"Feel free to use him as you see fit. Whether you want him repairing your weapons or shining your boots, I'm sure he will oblige... entirely willingly of course." Ethel laughed, enjoying using her powers for even the most trivial matters. "I'm sure Charlotte would be happy to walk freely, I think one of my guard captains was planning a raid on her family home tomorrow... I should really make sure that doesn't happen."

Ethel smiled, tenting her hands as she looked at Owen smugly. "I might require a favour from you before you leave for Myrcia... but that can wait, it's too tedious to discuss now and I'd much prefer you to meet my present to you first." she added, one of the maids popping her head through the door and nodding. "In fact, I think he should be here now."

---

He had finally found an opportunity for excellence, for prestige. Four years of toiling in Raewald had taken him nowhere, leaving him in poverty. But today was the day where he could make his mark. Queen Ethel had never really taken notice of him all these years in spite of his services as a defender and forger. Yet today she had invited him to her quarters, only making a small mention of the Prince of Wyke. Could it be that he would have to work for the Prince? It was hard for Suleiman to have control of these thoughts, but he was as cold as ever. Years in the Myrcian military had taught him at least one thing: discipline.

At the maid's signal, Suleiman entered the room slowly, with an erect posture befitting a trained soldier. He checked his surroundings- huge shelves with numerous books and desks covered with papers and manuscripts. The room seemed too messy for a royal in Suleiman's eyes. Maybe the Queen didn't care too much about the appearance of her quarters. He had a frown on his face only for a moment-he knew that he couldn't let his thoughts show on his face. That would not bode well for him.

He knelt down on one knee, with his palms on the floor and his head bowing down. His pale, bald head shone brightly under the lamp that was facing opposite to him. "I have come as you have requested, My Queen. How may I be of service to you?"

---

Entirely willingly? Ethel's words really did push down some scarier meanings. Why was that a necessary assurance? Owen figured he'd better not give it much thought. "I would... goodness, raiding her family home would be drastic." He was losing all his ground to Ethel's pokes and prods, and joking words. She was really a woman with her sights set. "Yes, it would be preferable if that could be stopped." Owen sighed, wondering what other sort of drastic plans Ethel had in mind.

The passing mention of a favor almost distracted him from the man's entrance, Owen standing in neutral silence as he turned to see Suleiman. Was he from Raewald? Perhaps it was presumptuous to think he looked off for a native of the land, maybe the bald head just threw the prince off? "So this is the soldier you spoke off? Well met."

---

Ethel clapped her hands, gesturing towards Owen after Suleiman made his entrance. "Very good, Suleiman, I knew that you'd enter in a signified manner...although the glare from your head is something I could do without. Perhaps I should have awarded you a hat for your loyalty." she teased, shielding her eyes briefly with her hand. "Prince Owen, this Suleiman, he's a capable fighter who I think would benefit your group. Not only is he potent on the battle field, he has an interest in weapon repair away from it. I've noticed several of your group have an... interesting taste in their arms. Someone like Suleiman would be able to facilitate their use."

---

"So, your name is Suleiman. Well met." Owen greeted the man, a simple wave of his hand. "I'm sure a man of your caliber will be suitable, if the queen's expectations have anything to tell of your worth. I'll be pleased to have you accompany us." The man held himself in a very knightly manner, and seemed very disciplined. No doubt somebody that would integrate with the group decently, even if just sticking to himself. That would do.

"Some of us certainly prefer unique weapons, if he finds himself competent to work on those, I would be willing to give him a chance, Ethel." Owen turned to the monarch, nodding in agreement. "Once again, thank you for your aid. When it is time to ask me for that favor, do be sure to call. It is likely the least I can do." With how much she helped him, certainly...

---

Suleiman got annoyed by the Queen's response. There was nothing he could do about his bald head, and teasing him about it in front of another wasn't very nice. He made sure not to show it on his face, instead replying to the Prince himself. "Greetings, Prince. I may not look like it now, but I was once in the military myself. I consider myself decent with a lance, hopefully you'll have some use for my combat skills. As for repairing weapons," Suleiman paused, cleared is throat, and resumed,"I've had years of experience working with my father.  I'm not sure if you've heard of him, sire, but he was a famous forger from Tolouse. I'm unsure if I can live up to his name, but I'm willing to help out in any way possible. I would be sorely limited as to...what I can do right now, however. This will be my first time as a traveling forger, and I don't have a big enough kit to repair high-end weapons. Perhaps that will change in the future, I apologize for any inconvenience this causes, Prince Owen."

---

"From Toulouse? I see... you have traveled a long way, then." The man's response inspired confidence, receiving an approving nod from the prince. "Of course. Our funds have been limited from traveling so far and having our home country invaded, but I will try to provide what I can for your trade." No promises, but it did seem like a worthwhile investment. If only they'd brought a larger war chest... "Again, I thank you for the support, Ethel. I am sure he will be of great help." He thanked the monarch.

---

"Suleiman here is rather multi-cultural, he brings a rather unique set of skills to the table." Ethel replied, completely oblivious or uncaring of Suleiman's annoyance. "I look forward to him developing his abilities working for you, Prince Owen. Maybe he'll be able to show you his singing skills too? I can't say that I've ever asked for a demonstration... perhaps when you return we can have a private performance?"

---

"Singing?" How curious... he didn't look the part, but Owen wasn't about to judge the man over his pastimes.  "Well, if you think the man is up for it, I suppose..." The prince wasn't against it, but the sudden suggestion was a bit awkward to react to. "Either way, if that's all you want to talk about now, I can come back later. It has been a pleasure to talk to you, Queen Ethel." Owen nodded briefly. It'd be awkward to bow his head to a  foreign noble, at all, but certainly some gesture of gratitude had to be made, right?

Olden Allies (Castle Tytila, Late Morning of 28th April, 812) (Constance recruitment)

Spoiler

Constance knocked on the door to the prince's quarters. It was the third time she had found herself here, having just missed him twice. This time however she gave him advanced notice of her arrival.

---

A knock on his door seemed to be the norm rather than an oddity at this point. Owen seemed rather prepared, opening the door in a matter of minutes. He paused for a moment, finding the face somewhat familiar, but couldn't quite put a name on the elderly woman. "Good afternoon, you must be Constance, yes? The one that left the note?" What a curious person.

---

Constance nodded and let herself in. "Notes" she reminded him. "I hope you managed to makes some use of that scroll I gave you." After taking a casual glance around the room, her eyes finally came to rest on the prince himself. Pink hair, like his sister, however he reminded her of Oswald much more. "You look like your father" she noted.

---

"Oh, so that gift was yours." Owen had very much forgotten, slipped his mind with all the events of the past week, still, being brought to mind of the scroll was easy enough, the aura given by the magical object hard to forget. "It certainly seemed special, I handed it to a trusted knight. I had a hunch it would be put to good use by them... I have to thank you, then." A brief nod would do for now, because the elder's last few words took the prince by surprise. "My father? So you've seen him before?" How mysterious... not only did this woman have an unnerving aura, she seemed fully intent on something, something the prince couldn't quite put in words. "What... brings you to talk to me? What do you know?" It was perhaps forward, but the knowledge she held seemed more and more to the prince's interest.

---

"Seen him, I knew him." Constance sat down on a chair. "Right here in Raewald. When we fought Malaphar together. Must have been almost thirty years ago now. And now fate repeats. I know you've encountered him. Claire told me all about it. That is what brings me to you. He is my enemy. I want to see him twarted for good before I die." Still seated, Constance bowed. "To that end I offer you my service. I might be old but I can hold my own in combat. Although I won't kill anyone on your behalf. Healing is my speciality."

---

"You knew--" Owen's eyes opened wide, shocked. Closing the door behind him, he readily took a seat. This was a guest with information imperative to him, information too sensitive for any curious ears. "So you're an acquaintance of Claire's? Yes, it's true that we've met him before... a fearsome man, his aura corrupted the very air around him. Out of concern for my men and my journey, I listened to him... but it was short-lived, in only a day I started asking him questions, demanding him his true motives. Offended at my defiance, he took me to his... world, is what he calls it, a dreadful place." The prince shook his head as the memories came back. "It is a miracle we escaped, but somehow we did. He was wounded-- though I do not know by whom--, before I confronted him." That was about the most relevant information Owen could think of, breaking his thoughts with a sigh. "I do intend to stop him, I fear what he can do if left to his devices. If you wish to come with me, you are more than welcome."

---

Constance nodded. The prince's story concurred with Claire's. "There's more you should know. I suspect Claire hasn't told you yet because it sounds mad, or untrustworthy but it is the truth. A man you travelled with, Emmet, he lives and is working alongside Malaphar. Belial himself showed me the two of them together."

---

"...Right. She did mention it, that Emmet was thought to be alive again, though just the other day." Owen thought back to his meeting with Claire, reminiscing for a moment before shaking his head. "He... --Belial showed you that?" The prince blinked, for a moment shocked but not turning on the woman for her words. "What do you mean... did you get to see the two of them? Was it just... a message from Belial himself?" How... weird. But in a sense, it wasn't unnatural that even Engel's enemy had his eyes on Malaphar. No light without shadow, and Malaphar certainly threatens balance. It's just like that old woman in Magon thought.

---

"Good" Constance muttered. "You have an open mind. I was concerned you might dismiss any information from Belial as trickery or evil. And it's also good to see Claire took the warning seriously. There's not much more I can really say about it. I merely seen the two of them together, shrouded in shadow. They did not talk of anything all that important. Just a disapointment that you did not join their cause, just like how your father refused him too, all those years ago."

---

"Belial and Engel... once I questioned the reason such a deity exists, with Engel's almighty power. Not too long ago, an old lady suggested me they cannot be meaningful without the other's existence. A confusing thought to wrap my head around... but I believe both disagree of a man playing god in such a way as Malaphar. It's why I trust your vision." Owen explained himself, nodding along the woman's information. "I have heard of him reaching out to my father as well, and am proud that we've both denied him. A man that stood by my father's side back then told me of that story, a man we called Jeeves, perhaps you've met him as well?"

---

"Coexistence" Constance smiled incredulously. "If only all Engel worshipers could be so dedicated to peace." Hearing the name of her old allies brought nostalgic memories back to Constance. "Yes. Jeeves was there too. As was a boy called Tobias, among others. I imagine they were in Wyke when it was invaded. Do you know what has become of them?"

---

"Tobias... Tobias Herman?" Of course, it made sense he was by his father's side even back then. "They... Jeeves has passed away over a month ago, aiding me in stopping the schemes of a noble in Wyke. It was not that he took a wound too grave, however, but that his body was too weary to keep up with how he pushed himself. It was an honor to have a man with such sense of duty by my side... and it was a sad day when he passed. My father is not in much better shape himself, bedridden for months. I fear his time already came sometime soon. I know he was, barely alive, by the time I reached Magon, but ever since..." With Deira invading Wyke, on top of his crippled health, the prince knew there was no point in clinging to hope.

"Tobias himself should be alive and healthy, but last I heard he was captured along with some of our nobles by Deiran forces. I am confident that he would survive this long, however." At least, that was some sort of silver lining.

---

Constance bowed her head in mourning. "So those younger than me are dying of old age now. May your spirits be free of Engel's ire." Constance placed her hands either side of her nose and closed her eyes. She remained like that, silent, for a full minute. "And so how do you plan to reclaim Wyke now?" she asked when her praying was finished. "Tobias is resourceful but I still fear for his safety."

---

"I... as of now I plan to save Wyke by stopping the war as soon as possible. I am sending a few of my trusted trusted men as commanders to stop the invasion in its tracks and save Tobias, while I join Raewald's efforts to stop Deira's King, Olaf." He said, having convinced himself more and more the past few days about that idea. "If I were to return to Wyke, the war would rage on for longer, ultimately more lives would be lost... and I fear something worse might follow. Something related to Malaphar." Like he had spoken to Claire about. It was but a guess, but Malaphar's interest in a war decades past might have hinted at something to gain from it. "So while it pains me to not be there for my kingdom in person at a time like this... I think this path is most likely to lead to its safety --and Angelcynn's--."

---

Constance nodded. "I agree. Although this war doesn't bode well with me over all. Olaf's actions and refusal to negotiate makes me mistrust his judgement. I would not be at all surprised if he was some sort of puppet for Malaphar. Regardless, the sorcerer is our true enemy. The enemy of all people in this world. He must be stopped. I expect this coming time will be stressful for you. You will have hard choices to make and will undoubtedly suffer loss. I'm sure you have plenty of advisors and friends to help you, but if you wish to hear the opinion of someone more...objective, then you can confide in me. I will not sugarcoat my words or agree with you merely because you are a prince. You might appreciate that, your father did."

---

"Olaf as a puppet to Malaphar... you might be onto something." It wasn't that farfetched, considering the King's actions. "He must certainly be stopped, I agree. If you think you might be able to point out his influence and how to stop it, I'd be willing to listen." No doubt somebody that had dealt with Malaphar before --aiding his father, no less-- would be a powerful ally in the future. "I would appreciate your services, Constance. I understand should you wish to remove yourself from battle. Just your advice will be enough." He wouldn't force her into the field of battle should she desire not to, especially with her age, but arranging a spot for her in his entourage was more than manageable.

---

Constance laughed. "I said I wouldn't kill for you but I can still hold my own in battle. I'm not so wide eyed as to believe violence accomplishes nothing. Plus, I am a healer and there's no place a healer is needed more than on a battle field."

---

"I suppose that is true... in that case, you are welcome around us, Constance." Owen agreed that a healer would always be welcome -- especially after the wedding incident--. "Of course, if Claire talks to you, I'm sure you already know that we are trying to understand Malaphar's magic and the vial better. It's very hard to fight that which we can't unserstand, so all wisdom is welcome." Talks were likely coming to an end now, but gaining a valuable ally from it was already more than the prince could ask for.

Owen deploys at 3,12!

"Let us waste no time, then. I will lead my group, General Tarasque." Nodding in accordance, the prince set out with the rest of his group, motioning for Esclabor to follow. "Very well, Baron Esclabor, come with me, and bring one of your men along." 

Esclabor is to deploy at (2,15), putting his bronze axe and hand axe (8/20) in the convoy and taking out a mighty mace!
Accolon is also to deploy, at (2,10), taking out the hammer from the convoy!

Or perhaps another one would do well for their group? If their frontline was overcrowded, walking inside the village in any formation would be a hassle... but eyeing the wyverns that had come, Owen would feel safer with at least another winged ally around... He looked to the allies that walked further behind, spotting the Valter sisters. "You," He pointed a finger, "Lady... uh, pardon me, it has been a while." Which one was the green haired one again? "Lady... Dizima? Would you be kind enough to aid us? A pegasus rider would be of great help." 

Decima has been called to arms! Deploying at 2,14, taking the frost tome from Alain (if Ves is okay with it ;-; ) and steel lance from Morta!

Edited by Xinnidy

Alain arrived to the battlefield not as a mere diplomat, but as a soldier. It was always amusing to compare where he used to be as a child, and where he was now as an adult. Here he was, about to embark on a campaign to liberate a country and topple a kingdom. Back in those days, all he ever cared about was trying to liberate his stomach from the "rumblies".

Sometimes he wondered what life would be like if he hadn't been orphaned. Would he be where he was now? A better spot, or worse perhaps? He shook his head. Ultimately, those kinds of thoughts mattered little now that the battle was about to begin. Another time, perhaps.

For now, focus. He just needed to focus. 

Alain deploys on (1,11) and begrudgingly hands over the Frost Tome >:(

Eric looked up from his...gesturing, and jumped a little when he saw people marching down towards the distant village, weapons drawn. Since Accolon and Baron Esclabor were among them, he assumed the time had come to do what he was hired to do, and followed suit. He walked to the edge of the village, occasionally kicking back his coattail for really no other reason than it looked cooler than just hanging. Finally, he stopped. Firmly grasping the hilt of his sword, he took a deep breath...

Time to settle my debts...

Eric deploys at (3,10) and let's just assume someone already gave him the Armorslayer and Round Shield from the Convoy for some reason

Edited by ThicreanPhoenix

As the Prince signaled to the group for battle, Suleiman was about to charge the enemy...before a certain someone spat right on his face. "Oye, who do you think you are, spitting at me like that? Come back here!" But the young lad had already left, angering Suleiman even more. "Wait...wasn't he sitting at that table of fancy nobles at the meeting weeks ago? No matter, I'll deal with him later. First, the enemy awaits me!" he muttered to himself, positioning himself and waiting for further orders.

Suleiman takes the Great Spear from the convoy, and deploys at (2,11).

Deployment happens as stated!

"Time to see if my chumps are better than Serge's collection of losers."

"Engel, I pray that peace shall return to the land bestowed to us by you."

"Me? Are you sure you didn't mean Morta or Nona? I'll do my best!"

Chapter 9 Turn 1
Objective: Seize
Additional Objective: Rescue the villagers

ff0569b514274fccb0a47b51e175dfcd.png
SPREADSHEET

"Their formation is so textbook, unabashedly pedestrian and lacking in sophistication." Oshea boasted, gesturing for his men to advance. He raised his sword, the blade glimmering green momentarily. "This is the power of the Emerald Blade, bestowed to me by King Oldbert. Think of my brilliance, and perhaps you will have managed to absorb a fraction of it for yourselves." He flicked his hair back, smiling smugly despite the army ahead.

The soldier from before approached him again, tiptoeing forwards as if to catch their commander by surprise. "Commander Oshea... I implore you to send for aid. The Justice Friends would make ligh-..."

Oshea raised his hand again, tutting at his minion. "I do not require the aid of the Justice Friends. That is the last time I'll answer so politely. Know your place, worm." he replied, the soldier begrudgingly walking back to his post.

Dreams of the child

Spoiler

"What are we going to do with him? He doesn't get along with the other children. People are beginning to talk, about me, being a commoner."

"He doesn't want to get along with the other children. He just says he wants to be like his brother. Maybe we should just let him. He'll be taken care of."

"No. I won't allow it. What if war breaks out? I'll not lose two of my sons in battle. We need less soldiers in this world. My mother has taught him about healing herbs. Maybe the priesthood?"

"The last boy he fought was the nephew of the bishop. Engel would be...less than eager to accept him after that. At least for the time being."

"That only leaves one other option. The academy. He's not a stupid boy. He could become a mage."

"In Whitwar? That's...not cheap."

"But it could be good for him. Mages are respected."

"He could still end up becoming a soldier if he graduates."

"I know. But at least it'll be his choice, as an adult, not a child."

"He'll be gone for a long time. And very far away. Are you sure you can deal with that?"

"Yes. He has to be sent somewhere. This is the best thing to do, for everyone."

Constance move to (4,13) use Barrier on Sidney

Edited by Jotari

"Very well, let's move forward. They have numbers, but we've faced many worse trials so far. Do take care." With sword in hand, Owen led the charge, analyzing the enemies around him. He wondered if he could pull out the emerald sword technique again... it would certainly make him feel better.

Owen moves to (7,13)!

I... I can do this. I can do this! Owen taught me how to fight, and I have Gewaint's sword! These men stand no chance against... A-Against... Cass' hand trembled, as the battle began. She was so scared to fight after what had happened... But watching Owen to gallantly stride forward, if she couldn't muster at least half of that... "You can do this, Cassandra..."

Cass to (6,15), attack axe fighter #4 with Gaffney's sword

Oh... Sidney hadn't expected the battle to start quite so suddenly, with both Cass and Owen advancing right away, and the old lady waving some sort of staff at her? It was a bizarre sensation, but somehow an emboldening one. She certainly couldn't just let the Gaffney siblings advance while she did nothing, so instead she readied one of her bows to fire at the mage nearby.

Sidney to (9, 13), Steel Bows the Mage

Constance moves to 4,13!
Constance uses Barrier on one of her allies, Sidney, for once!
Sidney is barriered!

Constance gains 15 XP!
Constance gains 2 Staff WEXP!

Owen moves to 7,13!

Cass moves to 6,15!

Cass attacks Fighter #4 with Gaffney's Sword!
16 Atk, 100% Hit, 8% Crit
(85 99)
Cass deals 16 damage! (25/41 HP remaining)
Fighter #4 strikes back with his Steel Axe!
10 Atk, 25% Hit, 0% Crit
(58 90)
Nope.

Cass gains 10 XP!
Cass gains 1 Sword WEXP!

Sidney moves to 9,13!

Sidney attacks Mage #2 with her Steel Bow!
16 Atk, 91% Hit, 4% Crit
(62 31)
Mage #2 takes 16 damage! (14/30 HP remaining)
Mage #2 uses Razorwind!
8 Atk, 39% Hit, 19% Crit
(8 52)
Sidney takes 8 damage! (25/33 HP remaining)
Sidney fires back!
(18 14)

Dead.

Sidney gains 27 XP!
Sidney gains 3 Bow WEXP!

Sidney grows to level 16!
(46 76 1 6 91 89 67 78)
HP up!
Magic up!
Skill up!

With a deep breath taken, Eric picked one of the three blades strapped to him and drew it in the most flamboyant way possible(swinging it wildly while he did so). He could see two men in front of him, both heavily armored(he could barely see the second but still). Eric wanted to say he could take both easily, but...the last time he thought that...

Holding his blade in front of him, he slowly stepped towards the soldiers in a threatening manner, but still made sure to keep his distance. And creeped closer to the wall for cover. He'd let them come to him. Going on pure offense hadn't helped him recently...

Eric to (6, 9), equip Armorslayer.

Freya cracked her knuckles as the sounds of combat to the south already rang through the air, pointing her lance at the Deirans as she advanced, brushing past the allied swordsman as she moved. "Watch where you're swinging that," she chided. Such theatrics were pointless when not detrimental. Still, wasting too much time on that wouldn't do. "Face me, soldiers! Test yourselves upon my armor, rather than hide around the corners of the village! Have you any honor?!"

Freya goes to 7, 10 and equips her shiny Killer Lance

Accolon to (2,8), rescue villager, canto to (3,10).

Suleiman to (4,10), take villager from Accolon.

(Alain should be taking the villager from Suleiman and dropping on (3,11))

Eric moves to 6,9!
Eric equips his Armourslayer!

Freya moves to 7,10!
Freya equips her Killer Lance!

"May my wings give aid to those in need."

Accolon moves to 2,8!

"Aren't you one of the guys I'm running from?"

Accolon rescues Peasant Woman #1!
Accolon cantos to 3,10!

Suleiman moves to 4,10!
Suleiman takes Peasant Woman #1 from Accolon!

Alain moves to 4,11!
Alain rescue drops Peasant Woman #1 to 3,11!

"You have to help my family! They're still in the house, my father is sick and can't move very well! Please don't let them hurt him!"

We have villagers to take care of too? Claire frowned. Things were never simple enough for them, were they? It looked like everyone else was still ready to fight though, and she wasn't about to be left in the dust. I guess this battle will show us what Deira is really like.

Normie to (8,14), heavy spear swordthwomp #4, cantos to 7,14
Claire to (8,14), flame axe fighter #4 
esclabor then moves to 6,14, trade-equips decima frost and hand axes axe fighter #4

Edited by SB.

"Just like Morta showed me... I just need to focus."

Decima moves to 8,14!

Decima attacks Sword Armour #4 with her Heavy Spear!
23 Atk, 100% Hit, 6% Crit, 14% Adept
(16 72)
Decima strikes for 23 damage (16/39 HP remaining)
(3)
And then again!
Not so normal now?

Decima gains 40 XP!
Decima gains 3 Lance WEXP!

Decima cantos to 7,14!

Claire moves to 8,14!

Claire attacks Fighter #4 with her Fire!
18 Atk, 100% Hit, 16% Crit
(40 6)
Bang! Kill stolen!

Claire gains 33 XP!
Claire gains 2 Tome WEXP!

Claire grows to level 16!
(26 2 50 79 94 1 98 11)
HP up!
Strength up!
Luck up!
Resistance up!

"Uh... nice shot, part of a well thought out plan?"

Esclabor moves to 6,14!
Esclabor helps Decima equip Frost!
Esclabor complains under his breath!

Angus moves to 5,10!

Enemy Phase

Sword Armour #1 stays put!

Sword Armour #2 moves to 7,9!

Sword Armour #2 attacks Freya with his Crusader's Edge!
6 Atk, 66% Hit, 4% Crit
(17 98)
Freya takes 6 damage! (37/43 HP remaining)
Freya attacks back with her Killer Lance!
10 Atk, 100% Hit, 34% Crit
(96 9)
Freya deals 30 damage! (11/41 HP remaining)

Freya gains 10 XP!
Freya gains 1 Lance WEXP!

Sword Armour #3 moves to 8,10!

Sword Armour #3 attacks Freya with his Steel Sword!
4 Atk, 56% Hit, 4% Crit
(16 83)
Freya takes 4 damage! (33/43 HP remaining)
Freya uses her Killer Lance!
10 Atk, 95% Hit, 33% Crit
(38 43)
Freya deals 10 damage! (30/40 HP remaining)

Freya gains 10 XP!
Freya gains 1 Lance WEXP!
Freya reaches B Lances!

Soldier #2 moves to 9,10!

Soldier #2 attacks Freya with his Javelin!
4 Atk, 64% Hit, 4% Crit
(74 55)
Miss!

Freya gains 5 XP!

Soldier #4 moves to 10,13!

Soldier #4 attacks Sidney with his Javelin!
11 Atk, 33% Hit, 0% Crit
(28 27)
Sidney takes 11 damage! (14/34 HP remaining)

Sidney gains 5 XP!

Archer #3 moves to 7,8!

Archer #3 attacks Freya with his Steel Bow!
5 Atk, 72% Hit, 5% Crit
(8 78)
Freya takes 5 damage! (28/43 HP remaining)

Freya gains 5 XP!

Reliant #1 moves to 14,5!
Reliant #2 moves to 15,4!
Reliant #3 moves to 16,5!

Mage #1 moves to 5,6!

Mage #1 takes aim at Freya with Meteor Shower!
(7)
The Meteor hits at 7,11!
The house is destroyed!

"Oops... I guess that one needs some work..."

Reinforcements spawn at the vacant houses!

Chapter 9 - Turn 2

5bd24e1853aba726eff6f9f95acc3d78.png

Spreadsheet

"So these are the Reliants?" Oshea commented, marvelling at the flying beasts supposedly under his command. "I always assumed they were a bunch of hillbillies led by a man wearing a dress... but this suits a great commander like me far better. With such a potent force following my orders, these fools stand no chance.... the first wave of soldiers was an unfortunate oversight, but now I have them fully gauged!"

The soldiers around him were less convinced, their legendary leader was seeming more fraudulent every time he opened his mouth.

Edited by Shin

Cass easily sidestepped the incoming strike from the fighter, before he was lit to cinders by Claire, Cass gripping her sword tight. "I... I can, do this." Fighting had come easily, her body remembered even if her mind was against things. And Owen had been a fantastic teacher. While nothing of her swing was amazingly smooth, it had done its job.

Unfortunately, not all were as lucky as her when it came to dodging, Sidney taking a rather hefty blow. Cass didn't lose her cool and call out, simply walking over with one of her old staves out, trying to mend the damage done. "How bad is it, Sidney?"

Cass to 9,14, Jeeves that archer thief

Angus looked on with horror as the fireball descended, bringing down the house and anybody left inside. He couldn't tell if the mage had missed. He couldn't care if the mage had missed. Intentional or not, that attack was more craven than anything the knight had seen in battle yet. It offended his sense of justice, and the wall protecting the offender only infuriated him more. Not quite fool enough to imagine he could smash through it, Angus instead charges for the nearest foe. If these invaders could be slaughtered quickly... perhaps there could be time for a fitting punishment.

Angus moves to (8,10)
Angus attacks Soldier #2 with the Silver Axe
Angus returns to (5,10)

Edited by Terrador

Eric jumped near a foot and (quite visibly)lost all focus as the building not far from him went up in flames in an instant. He stared, shocked and...angry. He was okay, but...Dammit, why couldn't they just fight on a proper battlefield; no civilians involved! This wasn't right! Random, innocent civilians had no place dying for the affairs of-

...The noise of combat from not far ahead snapped Eric back to reality, and he jumped again at the realization that he was supposed to be fighting. Of all the damn places to lose focus...He reassured his grip on his sword and swung at the first soldier he saw.

"Hyaaaah!"

Eric doesn't move anywhere and attacks Thwomp #2 with the Armorslayer.

Edited by ThicreanPhoenix