Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5

Shin

Claire paid the taunts Oshea had directed at her no mind, with her interest instead piqued by what he said next. "Justice Friends?" That part was strange, though. While the name sounded farcical, as far as Claire was concerned the fallen commander was just speaking plainly. Surely he could've thought of... almost any other name, really, which likely would have been far more convincing had Oshea's intent been to just scare or anger them.

It seemed that he'd still succeeded in the latter, though. "What are you doing?" Claire turned to Constance with a look of disbelief on her face. She'd just attacked a surrendered enemy, and by the looks of things the others saw nothing wrong with this. "Is this how you would act in front of the prince?" she snapped at Sulieman, before looking back towards Oshea on the floor, mouth curled nervously. How much damage had they done?

"Fetch him a healer, one of you." She really didn't care who went, but Claire knew that she didn't trust Constance with the job at this point. This is ridiculous...

Edited by SB.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A home came to Angus' mind--one that had been toppled by the wicked mage in Oshea's employ. With no casualties of their own to attend to and the bulk of his comrades busy with the Deiran leader, Angus plodded towards the wreckage. He knew there would be nobody alive among the ashes. It would relieve him of no guilt to find someone, either--it was inherent in the duty, a smell that stuck to one's hands despite every effort. No, it was simply the diligent thing to do, to wager five minutes against a miracle.

The knight took a step over a great, scaly limb, and wondered if Ywein would have joined him.

Constance looked to Claire. She closed her eyes and quited her mind. She opened them again. "You're right, Claire. Torturing this man will help no one. I need to calm myself after the battle. I have not been in combat for a very long time. If I see a healer then I will send them this way." Constance walked away to clear her thoughts.

Allies of the Truth

Oshea let out a pained cry as Constance's shadowy stream yanked him to the ground, his face in the dirt as he winced in pain. The frustration was very much present in his eyes, but he was struggling to raise himself up from the ground. The biggest kick in the teeth was from Eric, the commander recognising his ex-minion within a matter of seconds. He slammed a fist on the ground, knowing how powerless he was so outnumbered. His fine clothes were scuffed and torn, defeat was written all over him. He didn't even dare reach for his blade, knowing too well that he'd be stopped before he could reach it.

"Stop laughing at me..." he whimpered, closing his posture as if he were trying to hide himself from the group. "Such cruelty..."

There was a loud bang from atop of one of the houses, a bright cloud of smoke billowing out from its rooftop.

"Halt, enemies of justice. Your vile torment of this young man has gone far enough!" bellowed out a deep voice from within the cloud. "Justice Friends, assemble!"

A quintet of figures leaped down from the building, striking a well choreographed set of poses as they landed. All of them were wearing golden armour of varying degrees, each with their own coloured trim. The largest was the man in the middle. He was easily six feet tall, his shoulders wide and muscular. His hair was swept up in a quif and his chin was easily the size of a fist. Pointing a golden hammer forwards at Claire and the group, he made a declaration.

"Brining back light from the depths of despair, fighting the right in the coldest of nights, the Justice Friends shall never let an evil deed go unpunished. Where the weak and needy cry, the Justice Friends shall unite to deliver the truth!" he proclaimed, the other four changing their poses as he spoke. "I am Jonathan the Justice, not a single wrongdoing shall go unpunished under my watch! I shall deliver the truth to the guilty!"

The next stepped forward, a petite woman with a golden gown and glowing green eyes. "The sky watches above, the ground holds down from below. I am Elaine the Elemental, servant of Mother Nature and all that is good. Through the powers of the world around us, I bring harmony and smite those who seek to harm it."

Another joined the frontline. He was perhaps the oldest of the group, with a large scarred burn across the left side of his face. In his hand was a strange metallic ball, not too dissimilar from the grenade they had taken from Big Stan. "May knowledge bring true understanding, may the marvels of the future bring us closer to peace!" he boasted, gently tossing the ball up and down in his hand. "I am Barnaby the Bomber, my explosions shall eradicate evil!"

The other woman shuffled forwards, looking at Claire with a rather disturbing grin. Her hair was long and dark, obscuring most of her face. "I... am Petra the Puppeteer... would you let me pull your strings?" she asked grimly. "Even the nastiest dolls cannot avoid the truth."

The last finally made his move, casually swinging a sword in his hand. He was rather unremarkable sans for the golden armour, he had the sort of the face that one could lose in a crowd. "Mihail the Mimic. How do you do? I do the same, but for justice instead of evil." he remarked coolly, lacking the same vigor as his allies.

Jonathan pointed to Oshea, putting his hand to his chest. "Agent of Justice, your actions were cowardly but for a noble cause. We have come to liberate you from the clutches of darkness, then you may fight back another day!" he bellowed, Oshea was left completely awe-struck beneath him, although the mention of returning to battle didn't bring a smile to his face. "Evildoers, your dark ways and cruel torture have no place here! I give you the option of turning around, you do not need to face us in battle if you repent!"

Before Constance could get very far a set of completely baffling figures appeared as if from nowhere. Where they on the battlefield? As she listened to their spiel she grew more and more irritated. She kept her anger under control however. "On what basis does invading a foreign land unprovoked fount as justice?" she asked them. 

Some like it Hot

Angus' treck over to the remains of the scorched house revealed simply how little of the house was left. The meteors had razed the building, only leaving fragments of the walls standing. It was hard to distinguish what the ash had been originally been made from, although the scent of roasted flesh tainted the air. If there had been people inside, there wasn't very much left of them now. The ash left a grey layer over the ground, the magical flames far more potent than any natural fire.

"The smell's the worst part, they must have burned so quick they didn't know what was happening." Esclabor complained, holding his nose as he approached the ruined house. He kicked a clot of ash on the ground in front of him, the grey dust dispersing into a cloud. Esclabor crossed his arms, purposefully avoiding looking at Angus. "You couldn't have saved them even if you tried, you'll burn out that tiny brain of yours if you think too hard about it."

Gift and Prize

The small leg jumped, hiding away behind the tree, at the sound of Sidney's voice. It took a moment or two for them to find the courage to respond to Sidney, but a young girl's head peeked out from behind the tree. She probably wasn't much older than ten, her brown hair tied messily behind her head. "Some of it's ours, miss. They took the rest from other places." she replied timidly, ready to retreat behind her trusted tree. "They just started taking everything they wanted, they said they'd hurt us if we tried to stop them."

"Bu-but...no, you're right. I need to be calm. The prince wouldn't want any more commotion here either."he replied reluctantly, taking in a deep breath. Before he could regain his composure, he heard a loud bang and turned towards the direction of the noise. There were five people striking different poses, bragging about their justice. "So these were the people you went on and on about, eh,Commander? I didn't think you would be telling us the truth, but it looks like your so-called saviours have come sooner than you thought." Addressing the tallest of the soldiers, he spoke boldly. "Listen, the Prince has not arrived yet, and we cannot make any decision right now, it would be against the Prince's orders. Besides, what kind of person of justice attacks helpless villagers and burns down their houses? To save a mere mercenary...why would the five of you attack an army just to save him?" He tried hard to restrain himself from speaking arrogantly. It would be better not to put the group in a situation that would displease the Prince, after all.

Edited by Magnificence Incarnate

"Bu-but...no, you're right. I need to be calm. The prince wouldn't want any more commotion here either."he replied reluctantly, taking in a deep breath. Before he could regain his composure, he heard a loud bang and turned towards the direction of the noise. There were five people striking different poses, bragging about their justice. "So these were the people you went on and on about, eh,Commander? I didn't think you would be telling us the truth, but it looks like your so-called saviours have come sooner than you thought." Addressing the tallest of the soldiers, he spoke boldly. "Listen, the Prince has not arrived yet, and we cannot make any decision right now, it would be against the Prince's orders. Besides, what kind of person of justice attacks helpless villagers and burns down their houses? To save a mere mercenary...why would the five of you attack an army just to save him?"

Justice Beyond Borders

Jonathan raised an eyebrow at Constance's complaints, his companions all giving her sceptical glares. "One could ask Raewald the same question. Invading Myrcia to pass through and challenge Deira is a heinous act. We know of Ethel's villanous plot to claim the land for herself, and you are but furthering her injustice." he declared, flexing his bicep. Pointing at Constance, there was a visible fury in his eyes. "Using such evil magic to taunt a fallen enemy is unforgiveable. Your age does not give you the right to curse a fallen foe with foul magic from the netherworld. An individual casting such spells cannot even claim they are on the side of right."

He pounded against his chest firmly with his fist, keeping it close to his body. "We are not five soldiers, but five champions of justice. We have come to urge you to stop aiding Ethel's evil scheme in order to return the continent to peace. This man, despite his cowardice, is an individual need of help. Such mockery and torture..." he began, clenching his fist in front of him.

Elaine stepped forward, clasping her hands together earnestly. "Jonathan... we must return to our own armies, the war for peace is not won with a single battle, it is an effort that requires us all to unite." she urged, tugging on his arm cautiously. She looked at Suleiman, smiling calmly. "Your captive can do no harm, nor does he have any value to you. I implore you to find it in your hearts to accept your victory here. If you truly believe that you are on the side of right, you will have to face us eventually."

"For a purported scion of justice, you're rather soft-spoken, aren't you miss? Here's the thing though," he said, walking over to Oshea and clutching him by his collar. "You might be right in saying this fraud over here can do no harm, but you're quite dismissive of the harm he's already managed to do. I'm not quite sure I like that. Now, I don't know about the Prince, but I myself am not too keen on handing over a prisoner of war to a band of delusional self-righteous clowns for free," he said, pulling Oshea up. 

"And I humbly regret to inform you, but we're at war now. And wars are not won by being charitable to your enemy. If you're as fair as you are just, then surely you'll find it no trouble to offer something of recompense for the life of this man? You seem quite eager to save him after all, and I wouldn't want to give up a master strategician for free."

He had a smirk on his face. Here he was, thinking the man was all but useless and then a bunch of jokers show up, ready to save him. What a riot. 

"You should know he was pining for you lot. Every other sentence was the justice friends this, and the justice friends that. I imagine this is something like a dream come true for the man. If I were you, I wouldn't want to shatter his dreams by being stingy when he's so close to salvation." 

"... Another thing you should know. Unlike some of my companions here, my fealty is primarily with the Queen who you've so openly slandered. While this fighting has left me rather weary, I wouldn't mind judging one last soul. A casualty of war, if you will. I'm sure we'll have some time leftover to talk about the politics of right and wrong afterwards," he finished, his right hand rife with dark energy.     

They're not wrong, Constance reflected. Myrcia location is unfortunate for them, especially with their current economic state. But we're not the ones sacking this land and even if we were it wouldn't but Deira on a high ground when they're doing exactly that.

Quietly she let Alain speak but swore silently when he started showing off Belial's magic. Now of all times he's going to reveal his true allegiance. It's bad enough that they've seen my magic but now they're going to spin this to make Raewald itself look like a bunch of cultists. Every Engel worshiper will be looking for our heads now. And if you're not careful Ethel would probably give it to them just to maintain her power base. She didn't speak however, curious to see how the diplomat would handle this.

Well, Cassandra did always have a better opinion of Gewaint than Owen did. It was complicated, Owen truly felt some pity for the man once he was on the death row, unable to break free from the damning fate that had bound him... but Gewaint was still a traitor in the end, and if he could have killed Owen back then, he would have. "Last I remember, he didn't want to see my face either, when he made his farewell." It wasn't like he was alone, he had Cassandra, and Eowa was still with them... hopefully.

"Well, I'd rather you be there with me, as well. I don't understand what you see in this, but we can talk to him. If it really is him." Always that caveat. Even if it was, it would be doubtful that Gewaint wanted to hear anything from Owen alone, so that was for the best. Now for the matter of those over the village hall--

A loud bang, atop one of the houses near the center had robbed the prince's attention entirely, staring at the smoke, his confused frown accentuated. "Cass, let's go. We need to see what's going on." He unsheathed his sword quickly, making out of the walled section posthaste. "Keep your guard up, Baron Nelon!" He turned back for a moment to call for Ceirch, and quickly he met the rest of his group --well, most of them-- facing a group of rather hard to miss Deirans, if their golden garments were to be taken at face value. At least the enemy commander was down on the feet of Owen's allies, but the air was incredibly tense. "Just what is going on?" His tone outraged, the prince stared down the strange newcomers as he stepped over to the side of his entoure. "Is it with me, Prince Owen, that you which to speak?" He could at least presume as much, with the fact it hadn't devolved into combat already. What an odd troupe.

Sidney was sure to be slow when acting with this girl, brushing her hair aside and adjusting her glasses so as to not obscure her face at all. We're here to drive off the invaders and defend the people... but they have to trust us for that. "Some of it's yours?" she asked cautiously. "I'm pretty good at working on these kinds of locks... here, how about I open this up and you can show me what's yours? Then you can have it back, and whatever else the Derians took are better off not in Deiran hands."

"It will be him. And the both of you can try to make amends... I don't not think him entirely without fault. He tried to kill you without talking to you first, after all... Still. We're family. We have to try." She hoped that Owen would try, at the least. Whether or not Gewaint would remained to be seen... She could talk to him. The loud bang that ruined their talk had Cass riled a lot more than Owen, though her sword didn't come out as fast. She still managed to draw it while they dashed over, but she didn't quite know what to do with the sight of things. "What's this nonsense?" Wasn't the battle over? Who were these... These clowns? What were they?

"Ha!" The arrival of the five impressed Freya- in that they existed, not the five themselves, who were all completely absurd. "You are a mockery of the word justice if your answer to why Deira would invade Wyke and now Myrcia is to deflect the blame towards Raewald instead. What is there to say of King Olaf's honor, in that case, and if you are allies of justice, why would you defend this pitiful man who terrorized the innocent people of this village, razing and looting some of the homes? Have you any idea what justice truly even means? I cannot speak for everyone here..." She glared at Constance with a certain contempt, "but I am Freya, and I am a defender. It is Deira who has forced our hand so that we can keep hold of what is dear to us rather than see it crushed in your tyrant king's grip. You would not be able to pretentiously act as if you quest for peace in the first place if your homeland did not begin this war! Your ideology is a laughingstock in the face of the reality of today, 'Justice Friends'."

Surrounded by Darkness

Oshea squirmed as Alain lifted him up, the man's attempts to escape completely frozen after Alain's hand spawned the dark energy. All five of the Justice Friends glared at the act of evil, horrified at the open display. "You're... you're actually evil..." Oshea stammered, his own eyes fixed on the swirling darkness. "Friends with the devil..."

Jonathan was ready to make another proclamation, but Owen's appearance changed the playing field entirely. "Prince Owen, I am Jonathan the Justice of the Justice Friends." he declared, casting an open palm out at Owen. "I had heard that you were a reasonable young man, but you have sided yourself with the forces of Queen Ethel and Belial. She will bring darkness to the continent, a rule of terror that must be prevented. Your allies threaten defeated foes with the power of evil... can you truly side yourself with such a terror?"

As her leader spoke, Elaine dealt with Freya, stepping out of formation to speak with the guard. "You need to understand, we don't want war to rage on." she urged, clasping her hands together. "Raewald is doing the same to villages, we came to bring peace... this man... he has done horrible things and he will face justice for it, but eternal damnation is not the answer!"

Keep or Share

The girl nodded her head slowly, still hesitant about Sidney's motives. "I'm not sure how much they took, it's hard to know ." she replied, still taking refuge behind the tree. The chest clicked open, Sidney's skills had completely dismantled the lock mechanism.

Chest contains 500G, History of Turnips, Misfortune and Brandistock! Choose which to leave to the villagers and which to take!

Claire watched the arriva of the Justice Friends with a look of bewilderment, with her mouth left hanging slightly open. She wanted to say something, but she had trouble coming to turns with the fact that these were supposedly real people, with some degree of renown, instead of a strange theatre act. Their grasp on reality had to be particularly loose if they thought that they would release Oshea with no questions asked - Claire agreed with Alain there, even if his methods were a little less tasteful. At least they weren't actually attacking the man, this time...

Claire glanced towards Constance upon recognising the manner of Alain's magic, and back to the diplomat. How long had he been hiding this? Well, it didn't matter. "Did you really come all the way here just to try and rescue that?" Claire wrinkled her nose at Oshea, and then eyed Elaine with suspicion. How much of this is real, and how much is some elaborate scheme? It went without saying that the Friends were not to be trusted, and the mage's firm grip on Razorwind was a testament to that.

"You're not sure?" That makes things harder... I'll have to improvise. There were four items in the chest, and she glanced over them all. "Well, here's some money, I'll assume that's yours. This staff probably isn't all that useful... nor does it even look particularly of the helping variety... the book could be from here, and this spear is a kind civilians use sometimes, isn't it? You never know if it's needed for self defense, so I'll leave it with you. I'll only bring along the staff then, and you can have the rest." Sidney placed the pouch of gold, the book, and the brandistock at the foot of the tree before looking at the next chest and starting to open it. "Why are there two of these? That seems very inefficient."

Sidney only takes Misfortune.

"Friends indeed, I've even stopped by for tea and biscuits. So I'd advise you to be on your best behavior now, unless you're in the mood for tea yourself," Alain whispered, delighted at the apparent fear he was invoking into the man. Serves you right, you bastard. 

"Good of you to join us, Prince Owen," Alain proclaimed, turning his attention to the newly arriving group. He noticed Cassandra among them as well. Good. He hoped his early conversation with the princess would prove fruitful in gaining Owen's trust. Who better to convince him of Belial's non-threatening nature than his own sister, after all?

"It appears these kind folk have come forward in order to take the enemy commander back. I was willing to entertain the idea, but they seem particularly insistent that I release him for free. I've asked quite nicely for them to present an offer on the table, but it seems Jonathan is more interested in his monologue than considering what I'm saying to him," he said, leaving out the rosy details of Constance's elderly delirium. 

"It's quite humorous really, Jonathan. You keep blathering all this talk about her Majesty bringing darkness to the continent, and yet it is King Olaf who has occupied Myrcian lands and laid siege to Wyke's capital. That sounds pretty dark to me, wouldn't you say? Consider for a moment that we've only just passed the Myrcian border, and yet your army is this far out. Your king has chosen to make Myrcia his battlefield. Ponder the justice in that."  

He dangled Oshea in front of him. "Now, my patience is starting to wear thin Jonathan. I don't want to kill this man, but I'm not opposed to it. This man has vital intelligence about our army. Don't think for a second you can spin this any other way. Give me something worth this man's life, or get lost." 

So it seemed they were indeed affiliated with Deira. Oshea's plight was almost disturbing, the man helpless in the air by Alain's whim. This is... the enemy commander? I'd first thought him a spared soldier... It was a dubious state of affairs, but the diplomat was kind enough to give the prince insight on the situation. What was this magic he was using, anyways? The Deirans implied it had a link with the devil, and Alain certainly drove the point home with his threats. "...I'd expect this sort of magic from Constance. You too, Sir Duhammel? At least... let me talk with these men first. Withhold that killing thought." It was... bizarre to ever be put in this situation, but Owen knew how to deal with it. At least he thought so...

"Very well, Jonathan the Justice, you call yourself?" Owen raised his head to acknowledge the man's gaze. "I thought of Olaf a cautious king, but his recent actions seem to paint him a paranoid man, if using my finest brush. If you have answers as to why he commanded a siege on Wyke as soon as I left the shore, I'd like to hear it. If you can't answer me that, I'd prefer you withhold any judgement you have on my character as well." A first, a call out, with a reasonable sense of diplomacy. If the man could listen to Owen's words without twisting him as evil, that'd be a better start than any other option he had. "The people Engel entrusted under my care being attacked and losing their homes to outside forces while I was looking into this conflict's truth... would you understand this grief?" Or would you just poorly pretend? Hmmm, I don't know what these people have been fed by Olaf.

"All the messengers we have sent to Deira haven't returned. Contact with your king has been lost well before I decided to cross the sea. If he truly wishes to reconcile, tell him to send me a messenger. It is hard to believe Deira wants peace with what I've been witness to." Beside Owen, the captured commander continued hovering, almost distractingly so. Alain seemed eager to end the man's life... it was a bit confusing. If this man was this far out in Myrcia leading a section of the army... why do they worry about his well-being this much? "Who is this man to you?"

Edited by Xinnidy

Cass had to take in what was being said and done before she thought to speak up. Alain was presenting his true colors for all to see, and Cass was quite surprised to see Owen so calm about it. Though, her brother would likely be more surprised to see her entirely fine with it. Alain's display could wait, either way. The foolishness barking itself from the roof was beyond her comprehension. "The only evil here is you lot and your whole stupid war! Prove to me right now that Deira didn't start this business, and I'll give you an ear, but how dare you preach justice and peace after invading my home and killing my people!" Perhaps it wasn't right to be so outraged, but they spoke as if Raewald was the villain here. As if Deira had not literally taken Wyke off the map. As if things would end peacefully after all of this instigation.

Owen handled things a lot better than she had, and seemed to be in control of things, but she just couldn't stand people like this! And if they tried to turn it into a game of 'who started it doesn't matter'... Cass glowered at the lot of them, finding some of that rage she'd been holding in since her magnificent failure. Come here and try to tell us that you with the war to end, I'll have your heads. If your king was so gracious he wouldn't have done this in the first place!

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Are you going to keep yammering on about your pathetic excuse for a moral highground, or give us actual answers as to what Deira's intentions are? How does it possibly make sense to say you seek justice with the actions your king and country take? You are all either dedicated actors, or terribly, terribly delusional." Freya shook her head as they continued to speak. "It is you who are the aggressors. The irony in asking us for peace as you wage war is nearly palpable. How many of your Deiran commanders even bothered to keep the Wykian opponents they faced alive? Judging by how the commander today acted, your standards aren't very high... I'm guessing they weren't as merciful to them as you ask of us."

Shining Justice

Jonathan cast his gaze upon Oshea, shaking his head. "As cowardly and selfish as he may be, allowing him to be openly tortured by the forces of evil is something we cannot stand for. He pledged loyalty to King Olaf, it is our duty to ensure he remains safe." he replied, striking another pose. "King Olaf has acted upon messages intercepted between Queen Ethel and King Oswald. The two monarchs conspire to attack Deira and claim it and Myrcia for their own. I have seen letters with the royal seal with my own two eyes. If that is not proof of treachery I cannot fathom what would be required."

Constance's sudden questions left Elaine a little sceptical, the woman looking at the elderly healer with some concern. "Stratton, Elvedon and Clapcot have all been occupied by Raewaldean forces... are you sure you're alright?" she replied, glancing over at Claire. "I think your grandmother might need a rest, I think the passage of time and corruption have Belial may have worn away at her mind."

"Paranoid? I see, your brush is not unfounded but for all of our Deiran messengers to never return from Wyke. Many messages of peace have been sent, but none returned to our homeland." Jonathan replied, rubbing his majestic chin. He looked back to Barnaby, his ally shaking his head in return. "The loss of life is tragic, no matter which side it belongs to. I do not wish for the people of Wyke to suffer, but if Raewald is allowed to continue, it shall be a disaster for the entire continent. I feel the justice in your heart calling to me, Prince Owen, but I cannot ignore the plight of my people."

Oshea began to struggle in Alain's grip, perhaps in response to the lack of rescue by Jonathan and his group. "Filthy cultist, take your hands off me... I've got far greater things to do that fall to your disgusting magic." he growled, his left hand fiddling within its sleeve.

Sharing is Caring

The girl seemed to relax a little, Sidney's generosity had made a good impression. "Thanks, miss. It's all scary now, most of the grown ups aren't here any more." she replied, watching as Sidney dealt with the next chest. "I think the other one's from somewhere else."

Sidney finds another 1000G, a Whip and a Tasty Turnip!

Edited by Shin

"Alain, let him go," Constance ordered. "I'll see no more bloodshed this day. If what they say is true then there is a chance for peace if we can only come to an understanding." She looked to the enemy group again. "Tell me, does the name Malaphar mean anything to you?"

Edited by Jotari