Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5

Shin

"You can't expect me to believe that those foppish clowns were anything other than loud blowhards, can you? They spoke of justice like Deira is any better than the other side. If you ask me, they all look like brainwashed goons." Cass didn't really hold much respect, even hearing these things, for the Deiran Do-Good-ers. As for Owen and Raewald... They hadn't had much choice, had they? Sent off to save Esclabor and speak with the queen, learn that Wyke was invaded, if they'd just went back without a single hand they would've been killed...

"It's... It's a difficult situation, Gewaint. We didn't have anyone else to turn to by the point we'd arrived. If we went back there would've been nothing we could've done to stop Deira from taking over Wyke... Don't take this as my condoning what Raewald's doing. I didn't expect the queen and her men to start taking Myrcia as we passed through, but I suppose I should have... If you want my help with anything, just ask."

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yeah...yeah, what's right." Eric almost mumbled, sitting himself down at the priest's invitation. The thing is...which side IS right?

"Okay, that caught me a little off-guard. At the thought of people raiding the garden for lack of food, your response is hoping they'll at least wait until the crop ripens. That...seems awfully forgiving."

He wasn't quite sure what to make of Claire's question. It was an odd one to be sure, but one that apparently was worth enough weight on Claire's mind to ask. He tilted his head upwards, deliberating a bit on an answer. "Not quite... There was one time early on when I first started experimenting with dark magic where I felt as though I had cast a spell that was not my own, but it's been some time since then... " he said, recalling his first true success with Balor. 

"That's about the extent of my experience with such things. Though if I recall correctly, you were studying illusions with that old sack of skin were you not? Perhaps this is the side-effect of meddling with Malaphar's craft. Or perhaps this is a ploy by Constance to slowly erase your mind and steal your body," he shrugged.

"I jest of course... " Thought I wouldn't really put it past her. "All that being said, you ought to be careful with whatever it is you've been trying to do lately. This whirlwind... and that inferno at the church--without a tome no less. You'd best practice such things on your own time where other people are not liable to be caught in the way," he chided. "Perhaps you're a bit smitten with what Malaphar has shown himself to be capable of, but don't lose sight of yourself as you try to follow his path," he said, echoing a bit of what he'd told Acollon just moments before. 

"Mm. Well, I hope both Wyke and our funding's luck take a turn for the better sooner than later, too," Freya muttered. "Nine hundred... I'd think that's fine to spare for this. Safety is important... and I've got time. I'd rather not have it get bought before I have a chance if it's your very last one remaining, right?"

Freya gets the Mail Coif

Friends for Life

"I considered them awfully ridiculous, but there's enough stories going around that I'd rather not take chances." Gewaint replied, trying to regain his stoic facade. "I suppose you worked with whatever you had, sister. It all seems too convenient, everything seems to be falling into place as if it were scripted. Someone's pulling the strings from somewhere, it could easily be someone from Deira or Raewald. The winner's got a lot to gain from all of this."

He let out a sigh, looking over at Owen smugly. "Funny, if you hadn't come after me, I'd probably be wrapped up in all of this anyway... Deira would have torn through my territory." he remarked, closing his eyes as he leaned agains the wall. "Just out of curiosity, who did you award my lands to?"

Snack Time

"I'm sure that both you and my garden will survive. The determined have a funny habit of finding their way forward. Perhaps Engel rewards them for their efforts?" the priest suggested, nodding his head as he considered his own words. "Don't worry about me and my garden. I may not have the power to prevent wars, but my trowel can keep my vegetables healthy. You appear to have interesting friends. Perhaps wheat isn't so boring when it is surrounded by such unusual crops?"

Headset

"Yer got yerself a deal." the blacksmith replied, content with the sale. He briefly disappeared through the door behind him, returning with the mail coif in his hands. The linked metal rings glimmered gently as he placed it on the counter. "It's a bit of a pain to fiddle with in the middle of battle, but yer probably know that already."

Freya obtains the mail coif!

It was still intriguing that Niko was somehow involved in this. After his mysterious disappearing act, the man had gone with Gewaint to Myrcia, of all people, not even warning Doug of his next move. That warranted some questioning, were Owen to ever see the man again. "Raewald is not omnipotent. I don't think they'll have the time to swallow Myrcia so thoroughly while trying to fend off Deira, a nearly equivalent force. That said, if the war ends before Wyke is recovered, the winner might decide their terms alone." That's why sending a force to recover Wyke was so important... Owen could only hope he'd choose a good person to give the task to.

It was a bit bothersome that his sister seemed so willing to help Gewaint out with his lofty goals. They had so much where their efforts were important as it were. Still, she seemed so bothered by what Gewaint had told her, what to do... "Personally, I think we should focus on the war. It's not realistic that a rebellion force would fend off both armies on their own. The war ending would be for Myrcia's benefit as well." Honestly, what was with Gewaint, to decide to become a 'hero of the people' now, of all times? "Your lands? Ah... it was decided that, for his bravery in the campaign, Kearney would receive the honors to oversee the recovery of the land... now we have two Kearney Duchies." It was a bit confusing, but it was what it was.

" Ze ladies, eh? That would be a good idea, Monsieur. Zere is nothing much to do in zis village, after all. Ze farmer's daughters, they work very hard. Nothing like ze city folk, so prim and proper, and delicate too. If you get one of ze girls here, Monsieur, I promise you zat you would've hit ze jackpot. But first, tell me  stories about ze homeland. I 'ave not been there for a long time, I 'ave been missing a lot."Suleiman replied. smiling back at the foreigner,  twirling his own mustache. 

His conversation was interrupted by some forgettable guy with a sword and...Constance? "Elder!! What are you doing here?" Suleiman asked in shock. What did the old lady want in these military houses, anyway? 

Edited by Magnificence Incarnate

"Just here to gather some information," she said to the soldier who had been present in the last battle. She looked to the other man. "I assume you've been in combat recently," she said. "Where were you deployed?"

Edited by Jotari

Mooncalf Manor

"Just don't say you're surprised when Ethel owns most of the continent. You might find that you're left with a bigger problem. If you think you know what you're doing, go for it... but I'm not going to be happy if I see Myrcia swallowed up by either side." Gewaint replied, still irritated with Owen's responses. The answer to his question wasn't one he wanted to hear, nor one he had expected. Nearly slipping down the wall, he scrambled back to his feet, his eyes wide.

"You mean Kearney? The hillbilly bunch with the banjos?" he exclaimed, exasperated at his brother's choice. "Please, tell me it wasn't Oliver, that man couldn't lead his way out of the bathroom. Even Enidraine or Nelon would have been better choices, or even that fusspot Valter... I'm not sure there'll be much to save with a Kearney in charge."

La tâche à accomplir

The foreigner laughed, his accent even distorting the tone of his hollering. "Ze city girls would break if you... went too 'ard, no?" he replied, smiling foolishly. It was almost possible to see his imagination at work, his hands reached up out in front of him. He was almost oblivious to Constance's approach, snapping out of his fantasies as she asked him a question. "I like it when zere is a little bounce, oui oui. Oh, Madame? You would like to know where I waz? Our last battle waz not far from 'ere. I believe it waz called Stratton, a fine place wiz a country charm... a little short on ze ladies though. Ze battle was not kind to 'er, ze damage to the village waz unfortunate... but at least we drove out ze Deiran swine!"

"Er... Angus. A-Angus, Kearney..." Telling Gewaint that Angus had been made Owen's advisor would likely ruin the man's opinion of Owen entirely, so Cass left that part out, hoping Owen would realize the same. Still, that wasn't the big issue. "Gewaint, really, if you want me help with what you're doing, just ask. I want to save Wyke, but... I don't want to trample another country to do it. Owen's going to speak with Deira's King Olaf, I can only hope he works things out there. Until then... Sorry, Owen." It did feel like a bit of a betrayal, but... When Cass thought about things, it wouldn't do to crush this country and her half-brother alongside it.

Claire shook her head at first, disagreeing with Alain. "I don't think I've studied it enough to-" She paused, a frown forming on the mage's face as a realisation hit her. "Wait, no. Maybe you're right about the illusions." Claire's face was uncertain, split between worry and intrigue. "It wasn't unlike Malaphar's World, the feeling I got from casting it. Both were like... falling, and going somewhere else." She turned to Charlotte quickly. "I didn't... blink out or anything there for a moment, did I?" It felt like a silly question to ask, but it had been such a strange sensation...

"...I think I'll remember that advice though, all the same."  Two casts wasn't a large sample size, but they'd certainly done a lot of damage. Perhaps this one was less disastrous than the church,  but it still wasn't a good look for the square, with mess and rubble everywhere. "I probably need more space for my practice in future, if it ends up going anything like this..." she sighed. "Not that this was planned, though."

"It's fine. I think we can all appreciate the circumstances you were in after all. A couple of squandered fruits and broken carts isn't worth more than a man's life... but just try to do your due diligence in the future," he said. "In any event, I suppose since I'm not too busy at the moment I'll go have a chat with the general before I forget," he said, nodding farewell to the two ladies. "Either of you are free to come along if you wish--else enjoy the rest of your morning," he said, turning to go. 

Alain heads to Tarasque's Tent

Stratton? Constance thought. That was one of the places mentioned by that ridiculous group. He blames the carnage on the battle itself. Which just as well could be true. It was in our case at any rate. I doubt this soldier would confess to any atrocities he might have comitted. The only way to really get a solid answer is to ask the victims themselves.

"Come along, Serge. We're going to the tavern now."

Constance heads towards the Wrong Trousers

Of course, the worst case scenario that Gewaint was thinking of was total domination by Raewald, and there was nothing that was going to change his mind with how little he trusted Owen. The prince only hoped he heeded the warning of not doing anything while the army was passing by. "...It wasn't even my decision proper to choose Angus Kearney, Duke Herman and Edion had already sort of decided he was worthy thanks to his exploits in the campaign, for some reason. I was only recognized as true Prince Regent after that mess with your prison cell almost catching on fire." Surely the merriest memories the brothers shared. "We don't have that many bright lads among the Wykian nobles, I guess. I blame Valter for fathering three daughters." He shrugged, pondering about Wyke's customs for a moment. I guess if Queen Ethel rules on her own and has General Tarasque... we could probably ease things up in Wyke.

And of course, his sister continued to support Gewaint's viewpoint, for whatever reason, and much to the prince's chagrin. In fact, it had drained him the rest of his mood, taking a moment to escape an exasperated sigh. How could a person border so strongly the line between naive and selfish? "Only say sorry when you mean it. If you're so enamoured with the people here, maybe staying with Gewaint will be best for you." It was a held back snarl, Owen not even looking her in the eyes, simply shaking his head. "I have my kingdom to save."

Cass gasped at Owen, frowning and giving him an incredulous stare. "Owen! How dare you!" Folding her arms and trying to take in what he'd said at all, Cass didn't really know how to respond. She'd processed it sure, but... "I want to save Wyke all the same, am I wrong for not wishing these people trampled to do so? I... I've already seen the results of my selfishness once. I don't want to see them again, and we both know that Ethel is not gracious enough to leave Myrcia alone once we're done here. I just..." Cass took a step back away from Owen, closer to Gewaint. She sighed. "I wonder if you see that. And... Is Wyke's safety worth another country's subjugation? I can't be sure that's the final outcome, I know that, but if it's already happening to these villages with how little time we've spent here..."

Cass didn't quite know what else to say, she was still going over what Owen had said. Was he really that upset at her? Had his patience for her finally grown too thin? She'd thought him always on her side, but... Perhaps there were things one couldn't budge over, even for family. "If that's what you think is best for me, then perhaps I will."

"How dare I? How dare I what? Finally stand up against your wishes? Because you've never trusted my judgement, and still are not, and want me to say... what? 'Yes, go get killed with Gewaint, sacrificial lambs for the might of the army of Raewald, or Deira, whichever gets you first. Yes, upset them so they raid the countryside with rage rekindled.' Is that it? Is that what a brother should say in this situation? Because that sounds daft, I don't even want Gewaint to waste his life this poorly, and you know what I think of him." Owen had been beyond his wit's end, pacing around the room as he spouted his worries and frustrations. "You've been selfish for as long as I knew you, sister, but how exactly is this change of heart selfless in any meaningful way? If we go through the logistics, this is a lost battle on all accounts: Fend off Raewald, and Deira will come to swallow you up, and don't even try to argue that this tax-torn land has enough able-bodied men to fend off the two great kingdoms of Angelcynn. If you gather too much attention, you wouldn't last a month." It was a grim truth, that Myrcia almost seemed beyond saving. In Owen's eyes, no bright outcome was waiting this independent country, then came Gewaint and his optimism to whisper sweet nothings on Cass' ear. And yet when I try my plans, she scoffs at the thought.

"Tell me, sister. What did you think of it when I asked a meeting with King Olaf. You think I wish only to exchange pleasantries and eat some crumpets with him?" That was almost rude, but it served the point. How could she judge his reckless optimism and then do this? "If I can't get Deira to budge, the best outcome for all involved, then the best I can do is end this war quickly and get to recuperation efforts. Wyke would have legs to stand on again, and plead on Myrcia's neutrality. With Deira in pieces, Raewald would have its work cut out securing supremacy on them for ths next treaty, and mayhaps rebellion forces won't seem so daft, suddenly." He sighed, knowing he went on and on, and that Gewaint would doubtless pick apart his prediction, hasty as he was. But haste was the enemy of perfection. "It just... it just sounds like you have no faith in me, at all, as of late. And are clinging to this new story, this new resolve because... I don't understand." He was tired of mind, already. Of soul. Where was a chair, at a time like this? Unfortunate dark room...

"No, you idiot! I don't want you to rush headlong into a meeting with the man who's conquered our country!" Cass couldn't refute his point on her selfishness, much as she wanted to. The act was selfless, but the desire behind it was not. Then how was someone supposed to go about doing these sorts of things? She almost sighed, biting her lip to stop it slipping out. "You speak of trying to push Deira to pieces, but you give up a general to their highest ranked on promise of a meeting with the man who would sooner see you culled than speak to you. And you trust them? On what basis? That they speak of 'justice' and certainly it would be above the mighty King Olaf to murder prince regent Owen in cold blood-- no, you fool of a brother, it would not be! This is war, you know what they say, all is fair. The only thing stopping Wyke from being an extension of his land is that you're alive and able to stand against him. Who stands if you fall? Me? Gewaint? Gods, if you think I could go on losing both you and Adele..."

"I know what you want. I understand where you're going... But you're even more hopeless than I am. You think Wyke will have any legs to stand on when Ethel is so deep in our back pockets? I trust the woman to hold up her bargains, as long as we-- as long as you listen. And if she wants Myrcia, for you to speak against her... Raewald could crash down on Wyke just as easily as Deira has. Especially after such a war-- with who knows who pulling so many maniacal strings in the background... You can't imagine it'll be that easy." Cass almost choked up, it felt wrong to tear Owen down like this, but he was being... Just, ridiculous.

"I don't know what my involvement in this rebellion would solve, but it's better than playing the piece I've been assigned while aimlessly hoping for a better resolution. You are not our father, Owen... You are too nice, to hold countries together like he did. Say what you will, Gewaint is proof enough that Father wasn't against closed door dealings. I can't imagine he had no idea of the fiends behind all of the nonsense I was trapped into, even if he was too ill to stop any of it. And I can't imagine he's never done anything similar, to keep war at bay. I just..." Cass sighed and fell back against the wall, collapsing to the floor. "I don't know what to do anymore, but I'm not made for war. I'm not made for this subterfuge and complete villainy... I was still shaking in the last fight. Maybe I should copy my fiancée and see what comes of it. All this running in circles is driving me mad..."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Owen winced, he knew he was also risking his life, he felt more safe and daring than his sister, but it wouldn't invalidate her point. "If he comes to me with sickle and dagger, I will flee, fight for my life if I must. We will both bring our guards, but no more, or the meeting is called off preemptively, that was the deal. It gives him every chance to set up a trap... I know I'll need to stay alert, but it is a risk I was willing to take to stop the war. Or at least to know the truth beneath those insane entities my father kept in check." He sighed, understanding the points where Cassandra came from. It helped see her picture of it all, nobility and subterfuge might as well be synonyms. Unfortunately subterfuge was not in Owen's blood, and he couldn't deny that. He'd need something beyond that to get the power to actually challenge Raewald after the war. "I don't know what father was thinking, but he seldom prepared us for this situation... or just didn't want us to follow his footsteps. It doesn't matter with him passed away, I suppose, yet I don't want to give up on our kingdom. I will bring the fight, as transparent as it is..." What a heavy topic... Owen needed to lean on the dark walls to collect his drained energy. "An island is hard to take, provided Raewald doesn't steal all the wyverns in Deira and Esclabor doesn't jump the strait again." Thanks, Esclabor. "We would be able to hold our own, and we are the only to communicate with Toulouse, if need be. I'm sure they have their own mess overseas, but they don't seem inclined to subjugate over trading goods."

It was a fitting end to the political arguments when Cassandra collapsed on the floor and wall, distressed in a manner that worried Owen, and it showed in her words about Adele. "Adele..." That was even harder to talk than politics, "She had her own shadows haunting her. In the end, she was never open about what ate away on her mind. I wish it hadn't ended that way..." To hear Cass cogitate following Adele's path brough more than a chill to Owen's spine. Suddenly the house was freezing. "Cassandra... I don't plan on dying, yet, and neither should you. We're family, are we not? I want you safe and by my side, if possible. I know I'm risking myself, but..." He paused, trying a step closer. "All I do, is because I truly wish for this to end, too. I may not be the king of subterfuge, but I... I want to change angelcynn, for once. I want to be a king you can depend on, Sister. Please... don't hide your shadows."

Edited by Three Wise Xin

Lone Trouser

Gewaint had remained uncharacteristically quiet during the siblings' arguement. His eyes darted back and forth as the pair hurled criticism at each other. He crouached down as Cass collapsed, giving Owen a curious look after his last plea to Cass. "If you remove one major power, it just leaves a power vacuum. Both Raewald and Deira need to be kept at bay, allowing one to triumph for the other leaves us in an even worse position." Gewaint remarked, raising an eyebrow in response to Owen's proclamations.

"There is one nation that we haven't taken into account. Magonsaete might be unruly, but they're a powerful fighting force. Neither Deira nor Raewald were able to take it on alone... and they're not that difficult to deal with. I've visited a few times, they will deliver as long as the pay is right. If you really want to be a king, you need to find a way to keep your own people safe without sacrificing another country. Going to the Deiran capital because Ethel asked you to might not be the best course of action."

Senior Discount

"Yes, Miss Constip-... Constance!" Steve replied, quickly following after the hermit towards the pub. The young man muttered something under his breath, looking up at Constance as if he wanted to ask something. He quickly dismissed the idea, choosing instead to obediently tag along. The tavern wasn't particularly full, there was only a scattering of patrons throughout the building. The bartender stood stoically at the bar, seemingly uncaring of the elder's entrance.

"Sh-... so, what are we trying to find out?" Steve asked quietly, looking around at the men in the tavern. "None of them look particularly friendly, it's almost scarier than the Cursing Horseman in here."

Watching from the World

"Lord Malaphar, I felt something strange... a disturbance in your glorious World. Was it perhaps your doing?" Emmet asked, raising his head up as he knelt down before his master. Malaphar sat on his throne, smirking contently. He shook his head, chuckling gently as he extended his arm. Emmet appeared confused, if it had not been his master, who else would have been capable of such a feat? Surely there was no other figure who could match him?

"Something far more glorious than that, Emmet. It appears one of Owen's little friends is trying to comprehend my World." Malaphar soothed, amused at his minion's perplexion. "Owen is so very kind, given me so many presents. He has brought me one step closer to reaching my goal. An individual definitely worth watching, I am almost pleased that he had not perished in our last encounter. Not only this, he has delivered me three wonderful subjects."

Another figure approached Malaphar, emerging from the mist that engulfed his nightmarish paradise.

"Isn't that right, Little Miss Edion?"

Tentation

None of the soldiers paid Alain too much attention, there were a good number of spellcasters in their ranks - his presence wasn't exactly unexpected. However, another oddity was the presence of a familiar dark aura scattered through the crowd. It was likely that there were other Belialists mixed into Raewald's forces. Tarasque's tent stood out from the rest, both being the largest and the most central. As expected, two guards in Raewaldean colours stood at its entrance, looking at him carefully.

"Sir Duhamel, it is a pleasure." one of them greeted, saluting quickly. "Do you have business with General Tarasque, should I alert her to your presence?"

Edited by Shin

"I want to know how the Raewaldian soldiers are treating the village," Constance said. "Try asking the bartender for me. If you're lucky, you might find some cheap recruits for your mercenary force. They're probably eager to see the war move on in these parts."

"A pleasure? Not every day I hear that one," he chuckled. "Please, be at ease," he said, waving his hand towards the guard. "Yes, I'd like to discuss a small matter with the General. Tell her it wont take up too much of her time."

Natalia Tarasque... He'd never really spoken to her before--save for perhaps some passing pleasantries amidst the castle halls. Their realms of expertise weren't exactly all that related. That being said, he was well aware of her stature among the noble houses. Not that she needed any noble titles. By all rights, she was a military genius--and a fairly young one at that. Her reputation was based on merit alone, of that he was certain.  

Magon... "No, Owen. She was. I knew everything eating at her... And I still... I'm sorry, Gewaint. I'll come to see you later." Cass stood up, making for the door, pausing to leave Owen with one last comment. "Father didn't prepare either of us for any of this. I'm not strong. You're too nice. We aren't cut out for war, Owen... And I don't want to stay here and watch you get killed." With a bit back sob, Cass slipped out of the door with a few plans in mind... And a worry that she'd be going through with one of them.

Bar-gaining

Steve listened to Constance's orders carefully, nodding his head after every other word. "Of course, Miss Configu-...Constance." Steve replied, quickly hurrying over to one of the patrons. Steve quickly regretted his choice, the man he'd approached was a burly figure, sitting at a table by himself. The man glared at Steve, the young man's mouth twitching involuntarily.

"F-f-...hello, sir. I was wondering how you were doing." he stammered, the man not breaking his piercing stare. Steve looked back at Constance, perhaps wishing that she'd interject. He shook his head, returning to the conversation. "Uh... yeah, I was wondering how the soldiers were treating the people here... I heard they were not... very nice maybe?"

The man put his glass down firmly on the table, causing Steve to grit his teeth out of sheer anxiety. "The soldiers here? They're a mixed bunch." the man replied, wiping the froth from his upper lip. "There's those who annoy me by existing and there are those who annoy me actively. Deira weren't great, but I ain't exactly a fan of Raewald either. Any longer an' I might hope that sparkly pantsed prince comes here to set us free."

Ow(e)ned

Dettard watched as Cass left, silent as she departed. He looked at Owen, visibly displeased with how his half-brother had handled the situation. "She's right, you don't know how to lead at all. Every time you think you're acting for yourself, you're just somebody else's puppet. We're never going to be friends, Owen, but you need to start thinking for yourself." Dettard remarked, heading towards the staircase. "I'm sometimes glad that Oswald picked you instead of me, at least it let me open my eyes."

-

Morning of 15th May 812, Tarasque's Tent, Near Clapcot

The night had been uneventful, although the unsettling feeling that they were intruding remained. Clapcot was nowhere as busy as Tytila or Hull, the countryside separated them from all the cities and fortresses around them. Owen's group had been granted the city hall to use as their base, giving them a little more comfort during the night. It was a cool morning, albeit a dry one, the clouds overhead hadn't released a drop of rain overnight. Many of Raewald's forces were already on the move, populating the village as they prepared to move onwards. Owen's morning was disturbed by a hurried knock on his door, one that kept repeating itself.

"Prince Owen, are you awake in there?" Esclabor called, knocking on the door again. "Princess Cassandra's not here, all her belongings are gone too. Same with Graham and his butler, they've all disappeared. What is she playing at, running off at a time like this... There's talks of a meeting at Tarasque's tent, it looks like something's brewing... I hope she hasn't gone and caused something stupid."

Everyone is free to post, note, you will be called for meeting shortly!

Pre Skip

Constance face palmed. I told him to talk to the barkeeper. How did this kid even manage to get a mercenary guild together in the first place. Still, it sounds like the soldiers are overstaying their welcome, but there's no mass rape and pillage, like I was fearing. Maybe I'm not on the right side of this conflict. I'll just stick with this prince Owen for now. I'm sure it's what Oswald would want.

"I'm--" Gewaint's words were annoying, as usual, only able to see things in ultimatums. You'd think he would point a sword against Owen claiming him a part of the problem... that was probably stopped by his sister being there, in hindsight. Nonetheless, their blows remained that he was too nice, and was going to get himself killed. Honestly... it was frustrating to think his sister had so little faith. Cass seemed to hold some regrets over Adele's predicament, in the end, but it was an awful time to pry. "I won't get myself killed, nor do I plan to ruin Myrcia... But it is pointless, I see neither of you believe me." He sighed, wondering if that had been a complete waste of time. He'd only managed to upset his sister... and Gewaint. "Just don't do something stupid, for Cass' sake if anyone's." Now there was no reason for him to overstay his welcome.

---

Clapcot, Morning of the 5th of May, 812.

Owen's night had ended up in poor sleep, his mood not the highest with the light pre-breakfast headache. There was so much worrying his mind. Maybe it would do well to pay Cass a visit. Or at least, until Esclabor knocked on his door with dire news, roughly shaking the prince from his torpor: his face drained of color quick as the realization settled in, Cass had left, ran away, nost likely, for reasons he was not sure. In a rush, the prince opened the door abruptly, his face almost as if he'd seen a ghost. "I-I'll check her room--" No time to talk, the mad sprint led him to his sister's room quickly, the prince intruding himself and trying to find anything in the --unfortunately-- empty room. Well, it wasn't all empty after all, and below her bedroom mattress was a curious piece of parchment, with writing the prince could quickly recognize as Cassandra's. As soon as he folded it open, Owen felt his heart sink as he read the message.

Spoiler

Hello, Owen. I'm writing this to say... That I'm sorry. We could've been happy, a nice, happy family, but... I've made too many mistakes. I simply wished to be happy with Adele, but my own fear and greed managed to ruin that. Now, I don't even know where she is, and here I am, with a brother I am now at odds with. I never wanted to hurt you. I never wanted to argue, or fight with you. But I wanted too much-- I wanted too much for just myself. Wanted things to go my way... Even this is another selfish choice, and despite knowing that.

I cannot remain.

I tried to kill myself, Owen. Attempted to put a dagger to my throat, and drive it through. I thought that, if Adele could do it, escape from the world and everything else that was wrong with it, that I could to... I could not. I didn't have the bravery, or the strength, to run away. Not that way. So I am... I am leaving for Magonsaete. I will try to make a new life for myself among the plains. I do not wish to see you get killed... I can only hope that you survive this nightmare, and make it back to Wyke. Save the country, and live a happy life, with Sidney. Make the people happy... In ways that I wasn't able to, nor ever will.

If we never see each other again, please, forget about me. Be happy. You no longer need to heed the requests of your selfish sister, nor do you have to stress over her wishes. You can focus on whatever you wish to do... If we meet again, I will be a different person-- I can only hope. And if you are so high above me by then... Please, do not reach out. If I can help it, this life of nobles, lying, and villains, I do not wish to be a part of it ever again.

I loved you, Owen. I still do... Be safe. Be strong. Be happy. I love you, my brother.

P.S. Please, be kind to Gewaint. My only selfish request. Be his brother, not his enemy. He needs the help, as much as he can get. Be the family I couldn't manage. Please... Goodbye.

"Engel above, Cassandra..." The prince had a chill through his spine as she spoke of her suicide attempt, it was enough for his heart to feel tighter. The rest of the letter followed her thought process.

She had done it, she fled.

Needing something to support himself, Owen sat onto the used mattress. His breathing was heavy, he buried his face in his hands as he held back the tears. "No... No! It can't be, she's going to get herself killed! I can't allow it, I can--" He struggled himself up in a hustle, walking out and towards Baron Esclabor again. "When have you noticed they were amiss?" Please, Engel, keep my sister safe. All your mercy. If she was nowhere in the village, then... Owen didn't know. He didn't want to accept it yet, he had to know more, holding back tears.