Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 5

Shin

People could only offer him condolences for what happened, but it couldn't be helped that Owen's concern for Cass only grew with that. Even Sidney's words caused him concern of the dangers Deira could cause to his sister. "...I hope she will be safe too." It was disgusting, a feeling of powerlessness, after only wanting the best for his sister despite their differences. The that escaped the prince seemed to take the willpower out of him, closing his eyes. "Sorry... I need a moment, I'll go back to my room."

---

Tarasque's tent was a rather full room right then, and the soldier presents seemed to take it fairly casually --at least until Tarasque herself gestured a sign--, in the end, she wanted to be fairly direct with her negotiations, and spoke a rather abridged version of her plan. Tarasque seemed to only be bothered by Cass' absence superficially, though not asking any questions at all about it was weird... at the same time, Owen didn't want to play this track over and over again. "So you plan to use our help to stop one of them, I assume." It could be a challenge, or it could not. The Justice Friends certainly had a weird reputation to them. "In that case, do you expect us to stop this explosives expert?" It seemed that way, since he was talked most at length. "How long do you expect it will take for us to reach the border? I expect to split my forces headed to Wyke a fair deal before, or are we doing that after?"

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plans and Bangs

Pierre slinked away from Tarasque's side, ushering Suleiman closer for a more hushed conversation. He twisted his mustache between his fingers. He didn't appear as concerned about the mention of explosives, if anything there was a smug sense of superiority to his expression.

"Ah, Monsieur Suleiman. All zis talk of explosives makes me laugh. Ze idea of an 'and'eld firearm would have been novel at home per'aps a century ago." he chuckled. "Zere weapons are going to be crude and unrefined. I would be surprised even if zey don't explode in zere faces, ohonhonhon."

Tarasque ignored the foreigner's conversation, giving him a dismissive scowl as she started to address the groups' concerns. "Mages take years to train and they drop like flies once somebody points a sword at them. These explosives, if they've made them small enough to carry, you could train a soldier in weeks. With enough of them, it could revolutionise a battlefield." she explained, visibily displeased by Deira's advantage. "Our reports thankfully suggest that there are relatively few of them, about a dozen men carrying small cannons. We don't have a huge amount of information on their leader, other than the fact his explosives are small round balls. Taking the village he's stationed at is likely to be more dangerous, but attacking him whilst our forces are fresh may minimise losses."

She paused as Owen spoke, giving his question more thought before replying than with the other's issues. "It depends if you think your people are capable of doing so. If we can stop this explosives expert, it would allow a clear path to the Deiran border, as well as the Myrcian coastline." she replied, curious as to Owen's angle. "Wyke would be less than a day's sail away from the coast. It would certainly be within our grasp."

Suleiman smiled back at Pierre. His confidence in the enemy's lack of knowledge was ensuring. "It is funny zat Deira is trying to get zeir 'ands on ze power, using crude weapons! Zis war is something alright. At least we can see ze different places! Monsiuer, you must 'ave seen great girls yesterday, no? How was zat? Per'aps the best to do in zis village." he said to the foreigner, trying to keep the conversation light before asking some deeper questions. "But I've always wanted to ask zis,Monsieur. Why are you fighting zis war? Life in Toulouse would be comfortable comapred to zis!"

Edited by Magnificence Incarnate

So much for waiting outside the tent for too long, what with them being all invited in anyway. Tarasque outlined her battle plan, to reclaim a village and lead the army towards Deiran borders and the ocean towards Wyke... and meanwhile, Suleiman did some ridiculously awful sounding accent with a foreigner from Toulouse. How is he not offended? She, personally, didn't like the sound of either place they had to take over. Mages were a clear weakness for her, and she wasn't sure how well her armor would fare against the explosive weapon users. "If there's not that many, then maybe we can overwhelm them," she suggested. "Mages we know will be something we'll have a hard time with. This could end up proving better for us."

Relatively few... that was sure to be a challenge, still. Owen had some experience with explosives, before, and they were nothing to be trifled with. One misstep and multiple are likely to die. I'd rather trust a small capable few than leaving it to the... A dark thought hit the prince, his eyes scanning the floor again, expression half-turned into a frown. Perhaps it was better to leave it to Tarasque's larger numbers, they would likely suffer more losses, but allowing the Raewalden army to become weaker would even out the war more, and prevent Raewald from a drastic turnaround on them after its victory. No, I'm being hasty, we don't know how strong the other leader might be. Raewald might just suffer the same amount of losses, and in the end, the village closer to the coast than the border would be more favorable. A matter of positioning would turn the prince's opinion quickly. Unless, of course, the distance ended up being trivial.

"And what about that other village, guarded by the powerful mage? Do you have any information on the numbers there?" He needed to get more information while he could, it was still too early to decide. "I think my group should be more than capable to split and handle one of them. We lack greatly in numbers compared to yours, but those among me are powerful in their fields, and I trust myself a good tactician." Making no move to withheld his confidence, Owen presented his offer.

Angus knew his opinion on grand strategy wasn't worth two beans in this room, and his pie hole was sealed accordingly on that topic. Taking the port sooner seemed sound to the boy, but he couldn't begin to imagine the implications of Deiran firearms. He'd seen a couple of the things on campaign against Dettard, but what would an ordinary soldier do with one? How quickly could they be made? Could they expect more traps, like the one that blew up that guy in the woods? Didn't he have some of those explosives?

"...General, is there any chance fire could carry us here?" Duty compelled the mooncalf to speak, even as memories of that meteor-flinging mage sprang to mind. "Jus' one of us gets in while they're focused on Owen's column. Torches someone or something with enough'a that stuff in the right place, and... they're caught between us and their burnin' camp, if we're lucky." [This ain't like what that monster did,] Angus attempts to assure himself. [There's a world of difference 'tween reckless bombing and counterin' some superior weapon, right...?]

Constance didn't care much about the war preparations. It wasn't her place to plan the slaughter, only to begrudgingly assist in it. She didn’t even listen to what the Raewaldian general was saying. She was more focused on the prince. He had an odd look on his face. A look of focus, but the sort of focus that might serve as a distraction to something else. She desperately wished to know what ailed him, but decided it more prudent to wait until the war planning was over.

Out with a Bang

"Unless one of our own haz decided to 'elp ze Deiran swine wiz dominating ze continent." Pierre replied, visibly disgusted at the thought of one of his countrymen doing something so vile. The talk of girls changed the tone entirely as well as caught Pierre's full attention. "Oui, oui. I found myzelf a good few wondrous ladies, I was even so bold to give one a smack on ze bottom... oh? It iz a complicated matter. I came to zis continent trying to find my lord's son. However, I 'ave 'ad no luck at all. Monsieur Jean iz not an easy man to find."

The group's suggestions either amused or pleased Tarasque, it was somewhat difficult if she actually appreciated in the input or found the attempts at helping funny. "The other village has roughly the same numbers, with a fairly heavy proportion of mages. Their leader is a master of defensive magic, her spells seem to block all but a few attacks... we haven't quite idenitified a pattern to what gets through or not. Defeating her would give us a clear path through to Deira. We'd need to be certain we could defeat them there, a loss would be a hefty blow. " Tarasque replied, tracing a line on the map between the village and Deira. Angus' suggestion made her pause, the general genuinely impressed for once. "We would risk damage to the village and its populace, but if these explosives react badly to fire... I think we might be able to work with that. Kearney, was it? I'm almost impressed. Well, Prince Owen. Any strong feelings about which path you take? My forces will be heading to the Deiran capital regardless."

The party discover Firearms' weakness!

Claire glanced at Angus, taken slightly aback by his contribution. I suppose he is Owen's advisor... It wasn't an ideal plan, with the general's listing the drawbacks which could come of it, but if it could win them the battle... They needed Wyke back. They could ill afford to be picky about it, even if a small amount of discomfort showed in Claire's face. Hopefully the first will be enough to force a surrender, before we need many more...

"A small force would likely to fare better against the explosives. Sheer manpower will probably just lead to more casualties caught in the explosive blasts. Aside from that, if using fire is our plan then all we would need is enough fighters to reach them - whether it's using brute force or as a distraction." Either way, fire seemed like a firm starting point to plan around. As long as that was Owen's selection, anyway, but either could work. I'm not really worried about mages. This Justice Friend mage was nothing but a clown compared with Malaphar.

Edited by SB.

That was... certainly an idea, that Angus had suggested. "That could be dangerous, we don't know how strong their explosives are. If it turns out we trigger them and can't get away in time, we'll be better off presenting ourselves to a slaughterhouse. Perhaps magic could help us with that." Just like how it burned down those villages... another matter that concerned Owen greatly was the possible wasteful death of civilians. For the sake of his campaign and this Deiran righteousness crusade, he'd prefer to avoid giving them more fuel and senseless propaganda, or at least be able to refute it in good conscience.

Nonetheless, Tarasque provided them with a choice, and Owen had made up his mind. "We will take the man and his explosives. I'd say we are better fit to deal with that. From that point on, we'll keep moving towards Deira until we hit the coastline. When the time is right I plan to retake Wyke, and from there we will sail directly into Deiran southern territory --a stranglehold on their southern territories would be appreciated, if possible--." That would certainly cut the travelling time for them, in that case. "If I do make a change of plans, I will inform you immediately." There was still the matter of King Olaf... hmm, what was he to do about that... If it proves too unreasonable, I might have to withdraw my word. My kingdom is the only thing I have left. Even Cass had abandoned him, right...

"Well, at least you're all confident... I don't like what could be very well attacking the innocent civilians of that village, and the explosives still seem so risky to me." Sidney doubted the general really cared for her opinion, but she felt like voicing it regardless. "But if we have to go that way to reclaim Wyke from Deira, then I suppose it can't really be helped... we'd better be careful not to get caught up in any aftermath, if the explosives... well, explode too much." Putting it that way only increased her doubts, really, but maybe magic wouldn't be all that easier if the firearms at least had a clear weakness to begin with.

"I look forward to hearing the report afterwards." Tarasue replied, circling one of the villages on the map. "The village is called Oston, right by the coast. From there you're free to sail to Wyke, providing you don't torch their harbour. I'll ensure that necessary weaponry is available. If these weapons are weak against fire, equipping your troops is an advantage that would be foolish to ignore. Preparations will be done tonight, my forces will attend to the spellcaster. I wish you the best of luck, Prince Owen. Although I would hope that you wouldn't need to rely on it."

Owen's party gains an Elfire and a Flaming Bow!

-

17th May 812 - Outside Oston

True to their leader's desires, Owen's group had travelled southwest to reach the village of Oston. A quaint little seaside village, the sea air was almost reminiscent of when they had landed in Magonsaete. Damage to the village was minimal, but the golden glimmer of Deiran troops from afar made it very clear that they had a strong grasp over it. No longer under the watchful eye of General Tarasque, Owen was his own man once more, and many of his men appeared more relaxed under his direct leadership. Their path had kept them out of sight for the most part, but Deiran forces were preparing to defend. Nelon approached Owen, looking out at their target ahead.

"The village hall appears to be their base of operations, Prince Owen. It is likely to be where their leader resides. Unfortunately there is not away to approach it from land without travelling through the village itself." Nelon informed, pointing to a large building by the coast. "We may have to battle through the village in order to claim it."

Esclabor wasn't far behind, crossing his arms as he walked forwards with a scowl. "I say we charge them, if they're splitting up the Justice Frauds to defend it means that they're on the run. If these guys were so amazing they'd be on the offense."

Chapter 10A - Defense Defusal

Objective: Defeat Barnaby

d32cef2887667ef8ed80b8cd2bdee85b.png

Spreadsheet!

Deploy in the blue zone! Three NPC's may be deployed!

Confessions in the Dark (Evening of May 11th, somewhere in Myrcia)

Spoiler

This can go so badly...

Sidney walked through the temporary camp, a plain cloak covering her as she searched for one tent in particular. The day had been long, but she wasn't going to sleep that night until she had some lingering worries answered. Time seemed to go slowly as she mulled over her thoughts until she arrived at her destination. Hesitantly, she knocked at the entrance to the tent. "Owen? It's me..." There were a lot of ways she could start from there- hoping he was doing okay after today, seeing that all was well despite meeting some odd Deiran characters while she was absent- but all that she could think to say wasn't about that.

"I... We need to talk."

---

It had been fairly late in the night for visits, yet the voice that disturbed his peace was familiar enough for Owen to rise to attention in a near high alert state. "Sidney...?" He spoke under his breath, rising from his mattress and taking a cloak to wear over his sleepwear --comfortable white shirt and pants, of course--, before he made heed the call, opening the curtains covering the entrance to his tent. "I... yes, Sidney." He felt a tinge of guilt grow in his heart, knowing he'd been so absorbed in starting the campaign that he forgot fundamental things he'd promised to talk out... When was the last time we talked? At her home? No, when she saved me, right.

"Please, come in. Make yourself at home... as much as this tent can offer." Owen called for her to come in, forcing a smile through his conflicted feelings. "I've had my head so worried about other things... it's, it has been a while, hasn't it?" He could not hold back a wince as he admitted it.

---

Sidney entered the tent at Owen's invitation, sitting next to him on the bed and pulling him into a hug and kiss. "... It's been too long. I know you said you wanted to slow down a bit, but I hope you didn't intend for it to be this much. It's been stressful to be a part of what's now a full on war. There was this poor little girl I was glad to help earlier, but it's sad that we can't help everyone." She looked to her wrist, where she'd worn the bracelet for most of the day, but now that it was night she'd put it away. "I didn't even notice those Justice Friends, I had to ask about it afterwards. What a joke... as if King Olaf is a man of justice with actions like this. They must be the most deluded bunch I've seen. Or, well, heard of. Are you alright now? I got pretty hurt during the battle, but I was healed well enough."

---

...A kiss never did hurt, Owen could at least return that much, holding Sidney in the embrace. "No, no. This is fine." Owen replied, almost apologetic about it. It'd really almost been an excuse to distance himself, in the end, huh... And I'd promised... I still haven't talked to Sidney about that. It stung a bit to remind himself of that, the feeling of guilt ever present as Sidney spoke of her struggles with the war. "When two countries go to war, it is always the least fortunate that suffer the most. In Wyke, Gewaint was preparing for an uprising against the crown, but the lands under his counts weren't even able to pay their taxes. Perhaps it was one of the motives he chose what he did, I wouldn't know." The prince shrugged, "But it does not change that the people under him were the ones who struggled the most by his choices, yet they had no other choice but to give their trust to him. That is the responsibility those who rule hod."

"All of Deira must believe they are on the side of justice, it really is a shame... but a knight is more willing to fight if he thinks his cause is just, so of course King Olaf would do his best to feed his men that they walk the path of righteousness." It was pitiable, really. "But that's enough of that... I'm fine, so far. Truth be told, with this war and the attack on Wyke, I find myself worrying about home more often than anything..." He'd lost track of time too many times over his anxious worries. Perhaps it'd be best to change the subject, and focus on Sidney more. "Is your father involving himself with the war?"

---

"You're not very good at the whole boyfriend aspect of the relationship, Owen... but, I still love you." Sidney ran her hands through his hair, then over his shoulders. "I'm glad you're alright. We try to do what's right, but the battles aren't getting easier... we just have to do what we can to help the people here, for if we don't stand up for them, who will? Hopefully that will include the people of Wyke we can help, too. That must be hard to know that right now, we just have to press onwards, and hope everything there is okay."

"My father?" Sidney seemed caught off-guard by the question. "That's... well, I'm honestly not sure," she admitted. "I can't imagine him fighting anymore, but regardless of what I'm up to, it seems he's still very well respected in Raewald, so maybe he's taking on some sort of leadership role, or other ways of helping since we have many ships. I haven't heard from him since we left, though." She paused for a moment. "... What about you, Owen? Do you know if your father's safe?"

---

"I..." There wasn't much that he could say back to Sidney. 'Sorry for being a horrible boyfriend' wasn't really inspiring, not to mention the guilt he was feeling would only aggravate if he did say it. "Honestly, I don't deserve it... that you still feel so strongly, I've been a fool." He forced a somber smile, but couldn't keep himself looking at Sidney through it. What a fool, indeed.

"--Ah. My father..." Owen nearly choked on his words, it seemed like it was going to be one awful topic after another, that night. "Back in Magon, we were informed that he was at death's door... I am sure he has passed away by now... call it a hunch." The memory, vivid as it was, for all intents and purposes was a dream. "If he isn't, I would hope he is safe... but I haven't received any message from Wyke yet... I can only hope he passed away well before Deira reached the Capital."

---

Sidney was mostly just stunned after his words for a few moments. That was certainly a tough answer... "Oh, Owen, I... I had no idea it was like that. I'm sorry I brought it up for you again... I can only hope that it was peaceful, if that was the case." She kept silent, holding onto his shoulder asher show of support. But after a bit of quiet, something he'd said before didn't sit right with her.

"... Owen, sometimes, you're really terrible at making decisions. Listen to yourself speak! You're so horribly, horribly defeatist, saying you don't deserve my affection, especially since when you act, you do so much good! You let me come with you, let me start something better than where I was in Wyke, helped me come to terms with the past, and made it so that things will be so much better for me in the future. That's why I love you! And here you are saying that you're a fool and... you're too scared of making the wrong choice to make any choice sometimes, and that's not doing any good either." She couldn't help but sigh, then take hold of both his shoulders, looking at his averted gaze. "It's not that you don't deserve my feelings... hearing stuff like that is frustrating! If you think you've been a fool, and you know this, then what use is just saying that to anyone? Tell me why! That hurts me more than anything, to feel left out... for you to avoid me for so long just because you're thinking of what to say. You know how I feel. So talk to me."

---

The silence that followed her condolences left the two supporting each other, and Owen had no idea how to move the conversation back to something else. Thankfully, he didn't need to, the way he handled Sidney was fairly horrible in its own way, and the woman would only take so much. It was true, though, that sitting around and telling her to not care for him wouldn't do any good but drift the both apart. Was that what he really wanted...?

"I... sor--hmm..." Apologizing would make sense, but at the same time, only aggravate the image of his sorry self, the prince had put himself in a difficult situation to crawl out of. "I've spent the last few weeks thinking about the world too much, with the conflicts... I sort of put you aside, and I was afraid to reach out, because... because I wasn't sure this was all I wanted, was all I was comfortable with. Which is why I was foolish. We could still go on, you were holding yourself back like I asked and I just distanced myself and let my feelings wane in return." He was barely looking at her, eyes avoiding meeting gaze with Sidney's. He had to steel himself, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes. "But... I gave up too easily, and it's not like I didn't find you attractive, Sidney. I just don't know how to take that step again, or.. I guess more accurate to say, I've been feeling guilty." It was a start, at least, to talk about his feelings in a way that was a bit more straight with her.

---

Don't you! But he didn't apologize- he owned up to his mistakes and explained how he got there. "Guilty?" It was hard for Sidney to hear, that he didn't feel the same as her, but she'd rather hear that than any excuses, and he left her with difficulties finding words too. "D-do you want to dance?" she asked a bit suddenly after a few moments. "It's, well... that's something we've always connected with each other well on in the past, music... I thought you might like to focus on something like that now... and it's better to start somewhere small, unless you're feeling a lot more adventurous than a few weeks ago." She flushed at her own comment, leaning into his arms and kissing his cheek. "But no need for that if you're not ready. Let's just find a way to turn those waning feelings into waxing ones. Let's just not let the time get away from us anymore, and... and I think then, soon enough, you'll love me just as much."

---

It seemed his confession put Sidney at a crossroads, if only for a moment. Of course, just throwing out that he felt guilty with no context attached made her confused as could be, yet even with that, she still wanted to be with him. "Sidney..." A part of him sprang up the question of whether she'd prefer to be called Charlotte instead, but she never pointed it out, so signs suggested otherwise. "You think so? I suppose we haven't shared a dance in a while... I would be fine with that." Did she want him to tell her what mad him feel guilty, though, or would that just ruin the mood? Ah, what folly it was to tackle that subject slowly. He wondered what made her like him so much... That you were thoughtful, and gave her a second chance, right. Hmm, these were the same qualities that Claire praised me as a prince. What was up with that?

---

"... Okay. Then let's dance." Sidney stood up, took his hands, and then poked Owen on the nose. "But you're going to talk to me first! Already, you're doing the thing where you clearly aren't saying something, even if it needs to be said... no more of that. You're going to explain to me what you're feeling guilty about, not leave it in the air to bother both of us."

---

It seemed things were going to devolve into dancing, after all... standing up, Owen took Sidney's hand and was surprised at the poke that ensued. Well, he was hoping for her to poke at that topic, but he didn't expect a literal manifestation of said thing. "Ah... yes. I shouldn't run away from that. Now how do I start..." He almost hesitated, but a wince had the prince break his first barrier. "I did a mistake, in all of that. As I started drifting, I went to ask my sister for advice... of all people, I know, and... hmm, one thing led to another, her suggestion was that I might not be all that interested, and that maybe I should see somebody else..." The prince had a palm on his forehead as the words and memories came back to him. There were... several things he could go on about.

"In the end, I kissed another woman, trying to see if that somebody else was the difference. It was incredibly awkward, and then she made me promise to talk to you. It made me realize I had too many lapses in judgement since. I wasn't entirely forthcoming with my sister, I still held feelings for you, but also feared talking to you. Instead, I just presented her concerns and expected perfect answers. It's not her fault." He hadn't even talked to Claire about it prior, what a mess that was. Owen expected a slap any moment now... "It's a bit much to keep to myself, bad habit as it was. At least, I feel... less terrible, coming out about it. That chapter is pretty much over, but, you deserve to know." He didn't need to decide things on his own... not on these matters, at least.

---

Sidney stood through his story, arms crossed, trembling slightly. "Y-you should feel guilty..." That was all she could say for a few moments, staring him down teary-eyed. Well, we're probably not going to dance, at least for now.

She slapped his cheek. It wasn't that hard, but it made her feelings clear. "Wh-why didn't you just talk to me first, Owen? If y-you just talked, you'd save a lot of people h-heartache, ugh..." She practically collapsed onto him, sniffling and crying onto his shoulder. "You deserved that... and... it was Claire." That part wasn't a question, she was pretty sure about it- who else would it be, anyway? "So long you agree th-that was warranted, then, I... I'm glad you were finally honest with me about it, but... ah."

Am I wrong to love him? She thought about it. By all means, he obviously didn't hate her, but it would be hard to say that he was very loving to her, either. But... Even so, he just felt misguided than trying to hurt her. Rational or not, she couldn't help but feel like her thoughts hadn't changed. "If you really are sorry, then you can make it up to me, and we can move on, and be happy together... that's how I want this to go. It could all be so perfect if we just leave this behind us... I still love you, Owen." She kissed him on the cheek where she had slapped him just a moment ago. "... Sorry for that. D-don't be too mad at me for it."

---

Ah, there it was, the slap he was expecting. Owen closed his eyes, and made no other moves aside from supporting Sidney as she collapsed on his arms. He understood ever more how dire his consequences were, as he heard her shivering sobs as she tried to speak, it was a weight like no other, but one he couldn't be afraid to bear, not anymore. By some readings of Engel's scriptures, he had been an adulterer, one that thought of a relationship with another woman, without even being honest to the one he was currently with. Carrying that weight silently would have carried him to madness...

But, despite that, Sidney's ire was shortlived, in such a way that left the prince almost shocked. She still had feelings for him, alright, but... she was already willing to put that behind them? She was saying sorry?! "I-- What, no! Don't apologize to me, I kissed another woman, I'm an adulterer by definition! Goodness, I thought you were going to slap me harder, and then storm out of the tent! Are, are you okay?" He was starting to wonder if Sidney had heard him right at all. "How can you say you still love me when I kept avoiding you, and then did such a horrible thing...?"

---

"I-I don't--" Now he was questioning her thoughts too. She kept sniffling as he voiced his concerns. "I don't know! M-maybe I'm just a crazy g-girl who just wants you to love me back, who can't think a damn thing through rationally when you're involved... I mean, d-do you w-want me to be more mad at you? I'm not going to forget about it, pretend it never happened, that isn't what I meant by put it behind us, b-but I don't... it doesn't have to ruin everything." Sidney gave an agonized sigh.

"I AM still mad at you. But if anything, you're making me more mad! I'm angry, I'm upset, and I'm really frustrated! But I'm saying that I'm not going to feel that way forever, because I still love you, how even if it was cruel to me, we can still... we can make it so things will be better. This doesn't have to define you, you're just stuck on it... Come on, Owen, a girl's in your arms, telling you she loves you and wants you to love her, and the first thing you ask is 'why do you still love me?' Just... please, just kiss me. Kiss me lots, and then we can figure out how the future will be better. I don't want to run out of here crying, and I know you don't want that either... we don't have to know how everything will go perfectly. And I won't just forget about it. But if nothing else, let's start setting things right."

---

Well, it was a start, to see Sidney be more forward like this, esplaining what made him so confused beforehand... but there were still a few things left. "Sidney... while I said that in disbelief, and it might have hurt you more, I did it because I worry about you." Owen lifted Sidney a bit more level to himself, his expression more solemn that conflicted, at least in relation to a moment past. While he looked at Sidney's eyes, his own seemed lost in reflection. "You are gorgeous, you locks, your skin, and your face, you exude this exotic air that would make any man lose their senses... but I think you are at your most when you let your free spirit shine." His lifted hand brushed against the side of her cheek, "Honestly, I was expecting you to be completely livid once I said that. Not that it's a better result... I am humbled that you love me so. Despite what I feel about myself, I truly am grateful that you could still feel so strongly as to forgive this. Yet, I think it runs deeper."

This was going to be deeper in the field of self-perception than anticipated, but Owen would have to poke this uncomfortable nudge now, rather than leave it for later. He was done with the patience game --it had brought him no good--. "I feel you've changed a bit ever since you started loving me. I am glad that I give you so much hope, but... I worry you obsessed over receiving my love, Sidney." Agh, that would sound awful, but there was no way to put it other than being short. "I remember back then, despite the life of sin you threw yourself in, it was you who reached out to us, shady as you seemed. Despite not being trusted, and being among nobles, the way you held yourself with confidence, and that attitude. They were what caught my attention the most." He was going on and on... goodness, what was he going to do if she became bored out of her mind? No, he needed to commit to it.

"The thing is, I want to spend my time with you like that. I want you to still be... 'Sidney', while in love with me. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate what you feel for me now, but... every time we've talked since, I can feel your love, but not that spunk, that attitude... perhaps it's because I've been denying you for so long, one of these self-fulfilling prophecies, I mean, here lies a woman in my arms begging for love and I'm going on and on like an idiot, but... this isn't a fairy tale. We'll never solve our problems if we keep silent."

He sighed, starting to doubt it was even a good idea anymore. Sidney would understand, right? Well, if she slapped him to stop, that would be fine too. "That... is all. Sidney, I don't want you to stop and fixate only on me, but to stay by my side, both for the hard times and meetings, as well as our dances... and kisses." He took her by the chin, though not bringing her face any closer to his, he was still looking her in the eye. "Can I hold you on to that, and call you my love?"

---

You never just let things be easy... Owen went on for quite a while, holding Sidney tenderly as he explained his feelings over, well, her feelings. Her mood visibly changed as he talked, flushing at him complimenting her figure, to a more sullen expression as he pointed out how she'd acted differently since their first meeting. "So you think that now that I'm playing along to fit in with the situation we're in, rather than acting freely, I'm not being true to myself because I'm too focused on love?" She paused a bit awkwardly to think about it. "I... you're probably right," she admitted. "I act less like myself ever since we got to Wyke, playing more Charlotte than Sidney, because that's what people expect from me now that I'm not a no-name thief to them. I haven't really done much of the thief work at all, come to think of it. Not that that's what you meant, it's just kind of a sign, that I care more now what other people think about me. But you liked me more when I didn't care much for what anyone thought of me instead. I think I understand... yes, Owen. You can hold me to acting how I really feel."

She leaned in when he held her close, kissing him certainly more intensely than if he'd been the initiator like she initially suggested. "But if I'm going to be like that, then I'm going to make it perfectly clear and be honest with you that sometimes, even after what you've said, being more 'Sidney' is being in love with you... just with less waiting than having you make all the moves. I can promise you that I'll be less focused on just love, but promises go both ways, and if we keep waiting forever, you really are going to make me crazy. Tonight, I really want you to keep your part, and show me I'm your love... I'll not speak a word about this sort of thing again if you don't want to, but tonight, it would just mean so very much to me... Please."

---

Despite the long-winded nature of what was basically Owen's whining back at Sidney, the results were... actually positive. She took it with stride, and wondered if there was some truth in Owen's words. Maybe I wasn't wrong to go this way about it. It certainly makes me feel less horrible. "I... yes, I hope I didn't impose too much with that. It is only what I felt. Though, I am relieved you understand, Sidney. I shouldn't have been so hesitant." It sure made him feel more comfortable about the ordeal, maybe now things would work... he'd just need to speak his mind more often.

"You really shouldn't stress yourself so much about what others think. Honestly, what did they ever do to that you owe them? Besides your family, there is no one you should worry about, after all, you stand beside a prince now. Am I right?" For a fraction of a second, his smile grew. "You are kind of like sister, in that... she's always worried about others taking her freedom, but I'm basically the king now... well, when we recover Wyke. Once we find who tried to capture Cass, I'll make sure no scoundrel does that to a woman in Wyke ever again."

This time, Owen returned the kiss, he'd controlled his hesitation, his embrace not loosening up until the kiss was undone, his hand, this time, running through Sidney's hair. "I never meant to say for you to give up on loving me, Sidney. No, this is a commitment, my commitment. I want to be a stronger man, and I want this to work, but things are going to be rough from now on... Then, Sidney, I hope you'll still be by my side in the hardships." Embracing Sidney, Owen brought her body closer, her face to touch his, and kissed her once more. Despite the slightest delay in his movements, Owen took the lead this time.

---

"Well... at least now we know for the future that talking over our issues is for the best between us," Sidney agreed with him. "You'll speak what you think so we can best understand each other, and I'll say what I think to be more true to myself- and then that should be better for everyone involved." She was a bit surprised at what he said about not owing anyone else, but nodded as he kept talking. "So what does that make me then? Princess Charlotte Sidney Gaffney doesn't sound all that bad to me... what do you think?" She smiled at the thought and sighed elatedly.

"It doesn't mean anything that the future won't be easy... you don't have to worry about me. Any struggles you encounter, be it in this war, negotiating, ruling Wyke, you don't have to think about how to overcome them alone, because I'll always be with you whenever you need me. That's who I am." She ran her own fingers through his hair, nails lightly threading through the strands as he held her even closer and kissed her more. His own initiative filled her with a surge of confidence, leaning back ever so slightly from him and untying her cloak. "... Owen. I'm going to stay here with you overnight. If you don't want it to, it doesn't have to mean anything more, but..."

She pushed the cloak aside to the ground, likely cluing Owen in to why she was wearing it and hadn't removed it before with a revealing lavender nightgown, and hardly anything else. "I... I'm yours if you want, Owen. W-we don't have to, we could just cuddle, but I just..." Now I feel like an idiot. But they had just agreed not to try and deceive each other. Or myself. "I love you, and I'm a terrible, needy girl. Turn me down if it's too much, I don't want you to feel forced, but if we're going to be true to ourselves in the future, then I'm just being honest with the both of us that I want this. If it's still too much, that's okay- I want it to be us really connecting, not just... not just like the other times I've asked because I'm obsessive and lusty. But because we're partners now, together forever." She leaned back onto him, averting her gaze and feeling guilty still. "... Sorry."

---

"Yes... that would be for the best." Owen had to admit, it went better than his previous strategy. Perhaps unsurprisingly so, but hindsight was what it was. Sidney's little jab at becoming a princess, however, was fairly amusing, enough for a hushed laugh. "For that we'll have to retake Wyke and order a betrothal, you know. Right now I am Prince in name alone, not really there yet." And he'd be King sooner than later, hmm...

"Then I'll hold you to that strength, Sidney. You've believed in me for this long... now it's my time to trust you, and prove you my worth as well." Owen had to admit, he still wasn't sure he had no reservations. His chemistry with Sidney seemed so superficial --dancing, talking, and good looks--, he still hadn't been all forthcoming in his kiss, though he wasn't without fault for why their relationship had become distant in the first place, so he had to overcome it. If Sidney could be with him as a person, perhaps return to her spunk from the early days, he'd find comfort at her side again...

Of course, her sensuality and active nature was such a sharp turn from the girls he'd lived with, aside a certain red-headed noble, and it proved to blindside him yet again.. It was still something that Owen was struggling with, his intimate background completely inexperienced compared to what Sidney was serving, a weakness that perhaps worked for her advantage, this one time. "A-Are you serious? You walked through the camp in the middle of the night wearing nothing but a coat and this? What... were you really planning to achieve?" It felt a bit of a betrayal, after all they just spoke of insecurities and his doubts, but even the young prince couldn't help but be flustered by such forwardness. "Goodness, you're not hiding anything, I mean--" It was a bit too much for the prince to avert his eyes from, blushing as he caught himself.

Owen closed his eyes, his embrace not letting go of Sidney, in spite of things. "My Lord, what do I do with you?" His face red in embarrassment, Owen didn't break the embrace regardless. "But, I wouldn't call that side of yours bad, it's just..." His hands had betrayed him, as well, grasping at her thighs, her backside. "Hah... fine. Stay with me, tonight, in my bed." Following a bit of a pant, Owen couldn't help but cave in. "Show me how needy you are, Sidney. But I warn you, I... don't really know what to do here." Then again, this was probably one of those things he had to play by ear until he didn't, which were getting increasingly common...

---

"Yes, I know, I'm kidding... but, we'll take back Wyke soon. I know it's not going to be easy, but I think we... no, I'm sure of us. I know we can do it. We have to, for everyone's sake. Then from there, we have to make sure Deira ceases their attacking, bring peace for Myrcia, and start with rebuilding any damage that's come to Wyke. But I'm not following you because I think it's easy, I'm here because it's what's right. Who dares stop us now? We'll defeat them, and the next." Sidney smirked confidently, patting him on the shoulder. But it was short lived as her cheeks flushed with embarrassment over his questions for her outfit.

"I just... this is how I sleep, and I didn't want to wait with talking with you any longer, so I just threw the cloak over my nightgown. Nobody usually sees me like this, and I didn't think... well, saying I didn't think summarizes plenty of things lately, but I..." She couldn't look at his face briefly either, muttering quietly, "I always like feeling pretty with what I wear, I wasn't thinking about this sort of thing at all, promise." She sighed. "I just thought we could sort out the difficulties in our relationship when I came here, kiss and make up, not that it would, err, jump into this..."

But his following words, and especially his actions, shook away any qualms she had as he touched her. "Owen!" she gasped, holding herself back from reacting too loudly but smiling mischievously after recovering, eyes half-lidded. "Ah, so you really do have a feistier side to you after all, hmmm? It was just hidden all along, you naughty prince! What do you do with me, huh?" Sidney pulled off what little she had on still, and started tugging at his cloak, then his shirt collar. "You do whatever you want, my love. I haven't done anything like this, either...  we'll learn how it goes and about each other together. And if you ever want, I can try to lead the way. Mm... let's get started, shall we?"

---

Travelling without Tarasque was enough to lift everybody's mood, it was clear as day in the face of his vassals, and for Owen, it felt like his competence was coming back, finally. I really can't afford to be Raewald's lap dog... which is why I need Wyke back. If only Cass was here... It was no denying that the princess' disappearance was a large hit to morale, but it was especially so for the prince, now resting a hand carefully at the hilt of his sword as his group approached the village.

"So this group has taken hold here, huh?" This could be a problem they could very well threaten the villagers' lives if they saw through Owen's plans. Or maybe not. It was the Justice Friends they were talking about... "We'd better drag them out from enclosed spaces, our best friends are open spaces and ranged weapons." Owen unsheathed his sword, taking the front. "Be cautious, even if they do not hold firearms, they might still carry explosives." Something felt off about these numbers..."

Owen trades his wingclipper for Eric's Crusader's edge, puts the chainmail on the convoy, and deploys at (4,13)!

Edited by Xinnidy

Another day, another battle. This was only Constance's second, but already she had become tired of the same old sordid affair.

Constance deploy at (6,17)

Edited by Jotari

It didn't take too long for the group to reac the village of Oston, and Suleiman was not particularly delighted with the prospects of facing the enemies wielding explosives. "If they're handling dangerous weapons, our small numbers may take a hit fast. Still, the prospect of smashing the heads of those Justice Freaks...I'll take it!" he muttered to himself, as he held a stance that was ready for battle.

Suleiman trades his Javelin for Nelon's Great Lance, his Iron Lance for the Flash Lance in the Convoy, his 2 use Vulnerary for Steve's 3 use vulnerary, and deploys at 6,14.

It felt better traveling with their small team, even if it was diminished, rather than the main group of the Raewalden army. Something about it was much more comforting to Sidney, even if they were going to the destination suggested by Tarasque as part of the overall campaign, she'd been in much better spirits recently for a lot of reasons. I think I just hate big groups, for one. Still, it certainly wasn't going to be easy getting rid of a lot of Deirans with new and advanced weaponry, though it seemed to be largely in the form of firearms upon first glance, which was something of a relief.

That being said, Owen was right- there could be weaponry concealed. The explosive he used at the beach was something he had kept hidden, after all... She readied herself not too far away from him, paying a lot of attention to a bow that had been provided by Tarasque. "Sets off explosives easily, huh? I think I can do a pretty good job, then... they might have more powerful weapons, but if they're no good at aim, then they're not gonna be blasting anyone! Let's show these clowns what kind of ranged weapon is really the best." She batted her hair away and adjusted her glasses. Missing would be awfully embarrassing after insulting their aim.

Sidney deploys on (5, 14), switching her Machete for the Flaming Bow.

Claire quickly flicked through the new fire tome as a last second refresher as they approached the village. Simple enough. If the gunmen didn't know they'd figured out their weakness, they were bound to be at an advantage. We better not mess this one up then. Even with this in mind, the firearms could still be dangerous. Hopefully there wouldn't be any complications.

Claire deploys on (6,15), swap Elfire in for Wind

Angus deploys on (6,13), deposits Foreign Charm, deposits Hand Axe, deposits Hammer, takes Hand Axe (8/20), takes Whip, takes and equips Chainmail

Decima deploys on (5,15)

Nona deploys on (5,13), takes Morta's Iron Lance and Javelin

Edited by Terrador

A couple days had passed since the meeting(during which Eric had not contributed) and Eric hadn't done much of anything besides look at himself and decide that he was terrible at socializing. But now, it looked like there was gonna be some fighting to get done. Something I know how to do. Nice change of pace.

Eric took a deep breath. Alright. Go remind them why you're worth keeping around.

Eric deploys at (3, 13) with the Foreign Charm taken from the convoy.

Steeeeeeve deploys at (4,16)! Ser--Steve also grabs the Gutting Knife and the Best Friend Sword (Sully is taking one of his vulns), y'know, just for emergencies.

Vesta deploys at (5.16)! She also takes the Signal Bow and Gatling Bow to help!

Also, Owen takes Eric's round shield!

Edited by Xinnidy

The meeting went alright, and the journey unremarkable, but they were coming ever closer to Wyke. Now they'd reached Oston, and it was defended with Deiran troops as far as the eye could see... most of whom had swords. Freya grinned, advancing close towards a group of enemy swordfighters. "Will you all never learn?"

Freya starts on 6, 16 and switches her vulnerary for one with full uses

Chapter 10A - Defense Defusal!

Objective - Defeat Barnaby

Owen's forces deploy!

"Wait? Are you sure you want me... oh geez... f-f-f-..."

Steve is deployed!

"You're leaving Morta out? She won't be happy!"

Decima and Nona deploy!

"I was starting to think you hired me just to stand in the background."

Esclabor's Band Manager allows Vesta to be deployed!

fe04fdf5edeebba7cd4371437a1ed8b2.png

SPREADSHEET

It wasn't long until Owen's forces were spotted, the guards on watch had caught wind of the Prince's approach. "It's Wyke's Prince! The one with the pants!" one of the guards called out, sounding a loud horn. The enemy troops mixed themselves in with the houses, their formation so precise that it seemed almost choreographed. "Get into positions! The commander's secret weapons should help us! He said that these belts will help us in battle! The magic crossbows will help too! Don't let them take the village hall!"

Wyverns could be seen over the sea, undoubtedly more members of the Reliants. Steve began to sweat, looking over at the variety of enemies around them. "Oh geez, just keep calm, Steve... it might be your first battle but you've got a whole team around you..." he panicked, gritting his teeth even more than before. "Just remember to breathe... and not get stabbed. I hope Miss Constipa-... Constance can heal me if I get hurt.

-

Meanwhile, Barnaby was far more relaxed about the ordeal, despite the alarm from his underlings. "Jonathan did say he'd go talk to King Olaf... but he never did say not to fight the Prince." he mused, playfully rolling his grenade in his hand. "It'd be an awful shame if there were no prince for him to talk to."

"Belts? Magic crossbows? They really don't know what they're using all that well, do they?" Still, that didn't mean the weapons weren't dangerous, though what was meany by belts was not entirely clear to Sidney. She stepped forward to take aim at one of many swordfighters, this one just inside the town. He had what could sort of be described as a belt on...

Sidney to (8, 12), attacks Swordsman #7 with Silver Bow

...They're going to blow themselves up, aren't they? Not knowing how right she was, Claire hurried forward to strike down one of the enemy soldiers.

Claire to (11,15), Blizzard Soldier 4

It seemed things were starting. Constance preferred to heal than fight, but she wasn't one to needlessly stand back while others took to the field. Pacifism is not the same as cowardice.

Constance to (8,16), Balor Swordfighter #11