4Gamer & Famitsu's First Impressions + some news

Torii

So two new articles about the game came out today:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/368/G036839/20170804053/

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201708/10139616.html

They were talking about how both companies played the early portion of the game. I read through them and there wasn't too much new information, but there were a few good bits that I came across.

• You choose between Rowan and Lianna as the main character for story mode. The one not chosen becomes an NPC on stages (you might be able to play as the other on some stages though)
  • At least for as much as they played (just the beginning parts), which character they chose didn't seem to have a huge effect on the game
  • They said their playstyles are different, and that Lianna seemed lighter/slightly quicker than Rowan
  • You can change from Classic to Casual, but you can't change back from Casual to Classic
  • There will be three difficulty modes to choose from (not Casual and Classic)
  • The early parts of the game feature the twins, Chrom, Frederick, Robin, Lissa, and Cordelia
  • The story and animations are supposedly very interesting and good, and they said "the battles might not even be the best part of the story mode"
  • The weapon triangle might not be too noticeable in the beginning, but later on you might find that "man, this enemy is tough!" Better use of the weapon triangle later on is key
  • They tested how weak fliers are to arrows, because they thought surely fliers can't be as weak as in mainstream FE Games. 
    • They were wrong haha, one arrow to Cordelia brought her close to death, and another took her out (said resemblance to original FE games is scary)
  • Frederick can dash at high speeds and mow down enemies while moving
  • Quotes and such from the main series will be in (like how Frederick doesn't like bear meat and as we already saw the pebble talk)
  • When two characters do a dual special attack, they may say quotes. For example if Lissa and Frederick do one together, Frederick will say "I will protect you, Lady Lissa"
  • Thieves with keys will appear on the battlefield sometimes and loot treasure chests like in original FEs

I think that was everything, at least everything I can remember. I'll run back through them now to make sure I didn't miss anything, but for now enjoy! And you can check out the screenshots on the articles as well

Edited by Torii

Frederick being able to dash and mow enemies with his horse seemed obvious to me. Xander is able to do the same, if I recall. But that still sounds SO fun! Can't wait to try it myself! :D

But I'm glad we don't have to use BOTH twins in the main story. I'm choosing Lianna for sure, she's much cuter. Rowan looks kind of dumb.

Also, a bunch of Freddy screenshots, yayz! <3 He looks awesome. <3 Also, bear meat hatred references, YES. XD

EDIT: All Freddy screenshots for easier viewing since he's the one we've seen the least of so far:

Also, here's another one I found from a different article, looks to be from Famitsu scans. It appears to be showing that dash and mowing Freddy can do:

Spoiler

l_598402b6e4625.jpg

EDIT: ...Nope, 4gamer shots still don't work for some reason. I don't get why it's not allowing them to be shared. Put them as links instead.

Edited by Anacybele

9 minutes ago, Torii said:

You choose between Rowan and Lianna as the main character for story mode. The one not chosen becomes an NPC on certain stages (you might be able to play as the other on some stages though)

So I was right about it taking ideas from DQH. Interesting. I'll be going with Lianna. Rowan's character type isn't normally my kind of character, but I'll see once I play the game for a while.

The early parts of the game feature the twins, Chrom, Frederick, Robin, Lissa, and Cordelia

Fire Emblem Awakening Warriors

The weapon triangle might not be too noticeable in the beginning, but later on you might find that "man, this enemy is tough!" Better use of the weapon triangle later on is key

That's kinda like FE in general, as well DW8's weapon typing. 

They tested how weak fliers are to arrows, because they thought surely fliers can't be as weak as in mainstream FE Games. 

• They were wrong haha, one arrow to Cordelia brought her close to death, and another took her out (said resemblance to original FE games is scary)

This makes me happy, it'll add a lot of tenseness to stages with tons of Archers, Horseslayers, Armorkillers and the like. Wonder if they'd add the Reaver weapons to take advantage of the weapon triangle?

Frederick can dash at high speeds and mow down enemies while moving

Something like horse-riding musou attacks in DW and Berserk, I assume?

Thieves with keys will appear on the battlefield sometimes and loot treasure chests like in original FEs

I can't tell if this increases or decreases the chances of playable Theives. I'll go with decreases for now. Sorry Julian/Gaius :/

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

1 minute ago, Fireball260 said:

Wow Fliers being possibly 2 shotted is actually pretty scary if you are playing on Classic mode. I'm honestly looking forward to it and what other things they can put in. 

Oh yeah, this too. Better be careful when using Cordelia. o.o

And before I forget and this thread gets too long, I'll put all the Freddy screens in my previous post for easier viewing since he's the one we've seen the least of.

Ohhhhhh noooooooo-

Effectiveness weapons being absurdly powerful makes me think the 'AI dying if you leave them alone for a second' thing won't just be an exaggeration.

Great we're finally getting info on the story mode. Probably gonna go with Rowan because I like what I've seen more than Lianna.

29 minutes ago, Torii said:

They tested how weak fliers are to arrows, because they thought surely fliers can't be as weak as in mainstream FE Games. 

Oh dear... In Dynasty Warriors, archers can be very, very dangerous depending on the game, because in some at least, they always sit away from you and just silently fire off volley after volley of arrows which don't cause you to flinch, but which do cause you rack up damage very quickly if you're not careful.

If Horseslayers and Hammers are in, I'm going to be playing Infantry Emblem when possible for safety's sake. I wonder- do mounties move innately faster than footies?

Also, there will most likely be a fourth brutal difficulty judging by Warriors standards, you'll just have to unlock it first.

If horse slaying and armorslaying weapons are in, I really hope Frederick is only weak to the former and not the latter. He'd be at too much of a disadvantage if he's weak to all of them. Heroes only gave him horse weakness, so this game should only give him horse weakness too, imo, for balance.

I finished putting all the screenshots of Freddy in my initial post, but the 4gamer ones had to be plain links. They won't embed as images for some reason.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wonder- do mounties move innately faster than footies?

They should. In every Warriors game this far, that's how it has worked, and they did mention early on that Horse units would be movement focused.

2 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I wonder if Xander can move as fast as Frederick in the game. If he would it could be  Chapter 24 of Conquest all over again ( The one where Hinoka uses dragon veins to  make fliers move halfway across the map in one turn.)

Considering he has less armor and is a paladin, he should probably move faster.

55 minutes ago, Torii said:

My god, I wasn't prepared for this much hostility towards Cordy. I wonder how Camilla will handle it though

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I wonder if Xander can move as fast as Frederick in the game. If he would it could be  Chapter 24 of Conquest all over again ( The one where Hinoka uses dragon veins to  make fliers move halfway across the map in one turn.)

Depends on if Frederick runs double effective duty as an armor as well. If so, he'll probably be slower.

I'd think Frederick and Xander move about the same speed. It's their ATTACK speed that should be different. Frederick should be slower and stronger there, Xander faster and weaker.

For their movement, they both just have a horse. Frederick's horse is probably slightly more armored, but maybe not enough to force his horse to run slower.

Forgot to add this: Lissa's staff is not only for healing, she can also buff herself to increase her stats for a short period of time

The description in the bottom right of the second picture says "Sends foes flying with an axe almost as big as her body and her energetic axe techniques. By filling her strong attack 1 (C1), she can temporarily increase each of her stats"

l_598c3f48d47e5.jpg

l_598c3f48c2e5a.jpg

021.jpgEdit: Included picture showing Rowan as an NPC and Lianna as the playable unit (Rowan's name is in green)598c8924a0f9c_ScreenShot2017-08-10at12_25_31.thumb.png.178aaf5887204cf771eff16f0392313f.png

Edited by Torii

11 minutes ago, Torii said:

Forgot to add this: Lissa's staff is not only for healing, she can also buff herself to increase her stats for a short period of time

The description in the bottom right of the second picture says "Sends foes flying with an axe almost as big as her body and her energetic axe techniques. By filling her strong attack 1 (C1), she can temporarily increase each of her stats"

l_598c3f48d47e5.jpg

l_598c3f48c2e5a.jpg

I called that it would probably be a buff, but it's nice to see I was right.

35 minutes ago, Elieson said:

My god, I wasn't prepared for this much hostility towards Cordy. I wonder how Camilla will handle it though

I don't think it's hostility towards Cordelia and is more just testing out the mechanic.

Sounds like they will be splitting the story up into sections, one part Awakening characters, one part Fates characters, likely one part Shadow Dragon, and I can see a final part of it all coming together most likely.

Glad to see some more maps, seeing the same forest battle over and over was getting a little old, and these maps look interesting. Cant wait to see all of them.

I also like to see that they are really staying true to the series. I am really glad to see that this is going to be a Fire Emblem WArriors rather than a Warriors game with a FE skin over it. Kind of knew this from news before, but this is pretty much confirming how hard they are working to make it that way.

I am not big on having to choose one of the OC twins, not exactly a fan of having to play an OC I really dont care about but maybe the game will change my mind on them.

I am interested to see what they mean by the battles may not be the best part of the story mode. Gives me a slight bit of hope of at least some funny interactions. Not going to put a ton on the story though, these are the same guys who gave Fate's story a stellar rating. Ill set my expectations low there, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

The quotes and characters interacting with each other sounds  like it will be fun. It will be entertaining to see characters like Frederick interacting with ones from Fates. Hell, even some characters from their own games that they had brief interactions with could be humorous. I would love to see Freddy and Tharja interact some more since they are polar opposites of each other.

My only gripe so far is that we really need to get some reveals of other games' characters. I love Awakening, its what got me back into the series, but I would like to see some Fates and SD reveals. That and some 3DS news about this, we still dont even know what this game will look like or how it will run. Just a short amount of footage, that is all we need.

Overall though I am really hyped for this. This game cant release soon enough. Though we still dont even know the US release date.

Edited by Tolvir

I do wish the gemstones were a bit more evenly distributed through the games though instead of Fates having three of them. Inevitably, one of them would have to get only one, but they could have had the other two go with either Caeda (or another worthy SD character if their is one), Lucina, and Azura.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

I don't think it's hostility towards Cordelia and is more just testing out the mechanic.

by Hostility i just meant Damage

3 hours ago, Torii said:

You choose between Rowan and Lianna as the main character for story mode. The one not chosen becomes an NPC on stages (you might be able to play as the other on some stages though)

Like Dragon Quest Heroes, I see. It's fine so long as they actually keep those names for the characters and don't let us give them custom names.

I'm honestly kind of happy for this because it means (or should, at least) I won't have to see Rowan inevitably taking the spotlight.

I wonder if the thieves and chests thing confirms any of the rogue types, whether it be the Ninja/Outlaws of Fates or the actual Rogues of SD (were there any rogues/assasins here?) and Awakening. I can see them being able to unlock doors and chests, doors being able to lead to either special pathways or easier entrance into areas, and chests I guess would have consumables of some type?

Edited by Tolvir