4Gamer & Famitsu's First Impressions + some news

Torii

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

or the actual Rogues of SD (were there any rogues/assasins here?)

Nope, only thieves- no promotion (but in SD/NM they get a 30 level cap like Marth). Julian is the original thief, spawned something of an archetype (thief+cleric), and I think Gaius's orange hair color might be due to Julian also being an orange. There is also Rickard, Julian's little pal, but he's inferior from a gameplay perspective and ironically can only be recruited with Julian- which is bad if Julian dies before you get to him because you're then without a Thief altogether.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nope, only thieves- no promotion (but in SD/NM they get a 30 level cap like Marth). Julian is the original thief, spawned something of an archetype (thief+cleric), and I think Gaius's orange hair color might be due to Julian also being an orange. There is also Rickard, Julian's little pal, but he's inferior from a gameplay perspective and ironically can only be recruited with Julian- which is bad if Julian dies before you get to him because you're then without a Thief altogether.

Interesting. Didnt know whether or not they had one. Odd that they dont have a promotion, but I guess it works. Assassin has always been an odd jump from a basic thief/rogue since Assassins are typically a subtype of rogue, not a superior one.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Weren't thieves only useful because they could open chests? Since Marth could also open all chests with the Fire Emblem, I don't think it mattered too much if you didn't have a thief.

Thief npcs using keys to open chests seems odd, since thieves don't need keys to open chests in most FE games.  I don't think they'll skip over playable thieves entirely, but I wonder if this means Locktouch or an equivalent 'thief' skill doesn't exist in FEW.

1 hour ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Since Marth could also open all chests with the Fire Emblem, I don't think it mattered too much if you didn't have a thief.

True enough. But Thieves can open doors too if you don't want to carry Door Keys around. And it's also nice if you don't want to play things too slowly, as chests and thrones (every chapter in Marth's games is a seize) aren't always near each other. So you'll save some time if you field a Thief. Julian is none too shabby a fighter too- his bases aren't the best, and he can't promote, but he has very good growths (70% Str in all but FE11)- I've raised him a few times.

1 hour ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Weren't thieves only useful because they could open chests? Since Marth could also open all chests with the Fire Emblem, I don't think it mattered too much if you didn't have a thief.

Julian also was actually a pretty decent unit.  And for a certain endgame segment of Book 2, you actually needed him.

Enemy thieves could also destroy villages, obviously.  I wonder if that feature would be implemented in some way.  Like maybe capturing keeps is easier for them as long as one of the enemy commanders aren't there.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wondered why Julian have Rickard as a partner. he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He got captured by some enemy forces. Rickard is held in a cell that he, being a thief, could have opened. Either he was waiting for an opportunity or was unaware he could open the do. Then again Rickard is a two bit thief compared to Julian and personality and in gameplay.

48 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Julian also was actually a pretty decent unit.  And for a certain endgame segment of Book 2, you actually needed him.

Enemy thieves could also destroy villages, obviously.  I wonder if that feature would be implemented in some way.  Like maybe capturing keeps is easier for them as long as one of the enemy commanders aren't there.

From what we've seen, enemy thieves here seem to mostly be advance scouts who summon reinforcements if they find you. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are those kinds that carry rare items and try to flee the battlefield, rewarding you if you manage to kill them before they can escape, since Warriors has enemies like that.

Though making them function like Siege Captains could be a good role too.

Edited by Anomalocaris