Monsters in FE:W

Jedi

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

There is no such map in Hyrule Warriors. I'll have my doubts it's here.

The very first map in HW cuts off parts of it depending on the progression. Also, FE has Fog of War mechanics, so KT may have implemented that. There's also a map in DW8XL that has the lower half of it not showing until you make enough progress.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Escalario said:

The very first map in HW cuts off parts of it depending on the progression. Also, FE has Fog of War mechanics, so KT may have implemented that. There's also a map in DW8XL that has the lower half of it not showing until you make enough progress.

In what way is the first map different from other maps in terms of cutting of parts based on progression?

Fog of War in Hyrule Warriors (called the Twilight there) hid the enemies from the map, but displayed the entire map.

The last one, maybe.

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

In what way is the first map different from other maps in terms of cutting of parts based on progression?

Fog of War in Hyrule Warriors (called the Twilight there) hid the enemies from the map, but displayed the entire map.

The last one, maybe.

In that you can't progress outside of the starting area until you acquire bombs? In that the upper part of it is later sealed until King Dodongo is summoned? For all we know, that screenshot that shows a very small map inside a castle can be to introduce Fog of War and/or doors being closed unless you have a key/get near with a thief. It's a screenshot devoid of context, we really can't make much assumptions from it.

Just because something doesn't appears in one Warriors game doesn't means it can't in others, and KT is pretty good at adapting mechanics from the main games into the Warriors spinoffs.

Edited by Escalario

4 minutes ago, Escalario said:

In that you can't progress outside of the starting area until you acquire bombs? In that the upper part of it is later sealed until King Dodongo is summoned? For all we know, that screenshot that shows a very small map inside a castle can be to introduce Fog of War and/or doors being closed unless you have a key/get near with a thief. It's a screenshot devoid of context, we really can't make much assumptions from it.

Just because something doesn't appears in one Warriors game doesn't means it can't in others, and KT is pretty good at adapting mechanics from the main games into the Warriors spinoffs.

All of the maps have those checkpoints. Also, you could get into the upper part of the map before King Dodongo if you don't capture the keeps.

Hyrule Warriors does not conceal part of the map's existence if you need to open the door to it or within Fog of War, and Fire Emblem doesn't do it either (barring Thracia, the mechanic's introduction). I see no reason why Fire Emblem Warriors should do it.

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

All of the maps have those checkpoints. Also, you could get into the upper part of the map before King Dodongo if you don't capture the keeps.

Hyrule Warriors does not conceal part of the map's existence if you need to open the door to it or within Fog of War, and Fire Emblem doesn't do it either (barring Thracia, the mechanic's introduction). I see no reason why Fire Emblem Warriors should do it.

"Fire Emblem doesn't do it, except when it does"

OK

1 minute ago, Escalario said:

"Fire Emblem doesn't do it, except when it does"

OK

You miss the point. The only time anything close to concealing the map was done with Fire Emblem's Fog of War was the first time it was ever implemented- and even then, Thracia's Fog still shows you the size of the map.

Just now, phineas81707 said:

You miss the point. The only time anything close to concealing the map was done with Fire Emblem's Fog of War was the first time it was ever implemented- and even then, Thracia's Fog still shows you the size of the map.

Just because it's not in FE doesn't mean it can't be in FEW. There was no Tower Defense mechanics in DQ games, yet DQH1 has them featured pretty prominently. There were monster taming mechanics in plenty of DQ games, yet there's nothing like that in DQH.

KT is the studio making the game, and they will put in whatever they think will fit/is fun. They don't have people like Sakurai who's crazy to the point of being obnoxious with authenticity of the source material.

1 hour ago, Escalario said:

There's also a map in DW8XL that has the lower half of it not showing until you make enough progress.

There's multiple maps in DW8XL that do this. Sometimes they're revealed via events (like in Wen Qin and Guanqiu Jian's Rebellion), and sometimes the player has to find them (like in Shu's Invasion of Chengdu and Wei's Battle of Xiaopei). Koei also occasionally cuts off parts of maps to make smaller ones for certain stages.

43 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Hiding parts of the map on the minimap is no different from several FE games hiding parts of the maps behind doors until you unlock them. Those places being hid on the minimap doesn't make them non-existent, it just means you can't access them until they're revealed, same as other FE games.

Also, Hyrule Warriors not doing something is completely irrelevant to whether or not FE Warriors will do it.

Edited by AzureSen

2 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Hiding parts of the map on the minimap is no different from several FE games hiding parts of the maps behind doors until you unlock them. Those places being hid on the minimap doesn't make them non-existent, it just means you can't access them until they're revealed, same as other FE games.

Also, Hyrule Warriors not doing something is completely irrelevant to whether or not FE Warriors will do it.

I still think the Twilight's system of 'hiding enemies from showing up in the first place' is likely to make a return.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

There is no such map in Hyrule Warriors. I'll have my doubts it's here.

I was thinking of a tutorial level similar to what DQH starts with actually.  I think that does start you with both MCs, but since this uses a deployment and switch system rather than a party switch like DQH, they might have the first tutorial use just your selected MC, and introduce switching on the next map.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

One Piece had a one off Fog of War level so I don't see any reason as to why FE can't have one especially considering it has been a mechanic in the past

1 minute ago, Fireball260 said:

One Piece had a one off Fog of War level so I don't see any reason as to why FE can't have one especially considering it has been a mechanic in the past

I'm not saying there'll be no Fog of War (but when was the last time we saw it- Radiant Dawn?). I'm saying Hyrule Warriors has it, too, and doesn't conceal the map, but just the enemies on it- which is exactly what Fire Emblem does, so it doesn't make sense to change it.

44 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm not saying there'll be no Fog of War (but when was the last time we saw it- Radiant Dawn?). I'm saying Hyrule Warriors has it, too, and doesn't conceal the map, but just the enemies on it- which is exactly what Fire Emblem does, so it doesn't make sense to change it.

It was technically last seen in Shadow Dragons multiplayer.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

It was technically last seen in Shadow Dragons multiplayer.

I tend to think the snow plow chapter of revelation is mechanically similar. In both fog of war and snow plowing, you end your turn to see more of the map and enemies get the same unfair advantage over you. The only difference is you can only move three spaces at a time when plowing snow.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I tend to think the snow plow chapter of revelation is mechanically similar. In both fog of war and snow plowing, you end your turn to see more of the map and enemies get the same unfair advantage over you. The only difference is you can only move three spaces at a time when plowing snow.

The less I am reminded of Revs horrendous map design the better. 

But you're right the concept is similar, its just infinitely more stupid in Rev

6 hours ago, Motendra said:

New Mystery had Fog of War in some of its Gaiden chapters as well, if I recall correctly

Oh yeah thats right, its been awhile so I forgot.