NFL 2017-2018 Season - Eagles win their first Super Bowl!

Anacybele

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was complete horseshit. Stuff like this makes the NFL look bad. They think people stop watching because of anthem protests when even longtime fans can't tell you what constitutes a catch. It's embarrassing, frankly.

Don't cry, Ana. The Steelers proved they can beat the Patriots. They played most of that game without the best WR in the NFL. 

definitely looked like a td, but i hate both teams so eh

rams made the seahawks look like a peewee team today. that was cool.

unfortunately we still haven't clinched a playoff berth cause every team we needed to lose won haha. except green bay i think.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Wright said:

definitely looked like a td, but i hate both teams so eh

rams made the seahawks look like a peewee team today. that was cool.

unfortunately we still haven't clinched a playoff berth cause every team we needed to lose won haha. except green bay i think.

Green Bay lost, and they're basically ineligible for the playoffs now(There's a slim chance they could make it, but it's slim). Which makes me about just as happy as the Vikings being impossible to dethrone as the winners of the division.

Edited by Slumber

16 minutes ago, chococoke said:

Yeah, that was complete horseshit. Stuff like this makes the NFL look bad. They think people stop watching because of anthem protests when even longtime fans can't tell you what constitutes a catch. It's embarrassing, frankly.

Don't cry, Ana. The Steelers proved they can beat the Patriots. They played most of that game without the best WR in the NFL. 

Yeah, and now I don't even know what a TD is anymore unless you're pretty much in the middle of the endzone with both feet in and the ball in your hands! Totally agreed. What the hell is even a catch anymore...

Thanks though. You're a good fan, I should learn from your example, honestly. And you're right, I am pretty amazed at how well we played against you guys for a change. Even our D smoked Brady a few times and got an INT too! And besides the refs' BS, that was a pretty amazing end to the game anyway.

We proved we're capable of beating the Pats in Heinz Field though. Foxboro's been another story and that's what I worry about... Pray AB comes back soon.

That AB injury was so disappointing, but fortunately it doesn’t look something serious like an ACL tear or the like, and man we could do without more of those. XP

That call was weird. On one hand, I’m relieved my team won in the end, but in the other hand I can’t help but feel bad for the rival team for getting screwed over unnecessarily complicated rules. There was actually another play similar to this one in the Packers/Panthers game, and it had the opposite result, which the call was reversed to a TD. Nobody really cared though (except for adamant fans) since it didn’t happen late unlike this one.

i didn't see the slomo, so i can't say for sure in this particular instance, but so far i like the rule. you need to be in full control in order for it to be a catch. i don't see why that's controversial.

in every rams game i've seen, they've been consistent (which arguably matters more than the rule's existence itself). sometimes it's frustrating, sometimes it's nice.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Wright said:

i didn't see the slomo, so i can't say for sure in this particular instance, but so far i like the rule. you need to be in full control in order for it to be a catch. i don't see why that's controversial.

Then you should see the replay and slo-mo. Jesse James had full control going down, crossed the plane, and even though his knee was down, he wasn't touched until after he was down. He cross the plane and hit the ground before the ball moved. The play should've been considered dead as soon as he broke that plane.

Also, earlier this season in Steelers vs Titans, they let a Marcus Mariota TD stand even though his knee was down before crossing and he WAS touched, but an identical Le'Veon Bell TD was overturned. It didn't matter because it wasn't late in the game and the Steelers scored right after anyway, but still. Proves that nobody can know for sure what a catch or TD is!

Oh yeah, also, there was that play in Packers vs Panthers today that SilvertheShadow just mentioned. A guy falling halfway out of bounds while bobbling the ball is a TD, but Jesse James SLIGHTLY moving it while already on the ground and crossing the plane is not? Completely fucking stupid.

You could argue the Steelers should've just tied it up with a FG after that, but they shouldn't have had to.

Also, turns out AB tore his calf muscle, so he's out at least until the playoffs. It's just a matter of what point of the playoffs that he'll be able to come back.

Edited by Anacybele

i disagree. he juggled it the second he brought it down. this happened just last week, against the eagles i'm pretty sure, and the call was the same. the play isn't dead as soon as he crosses the plane because you need two feet or one foot and another body part (not hands) to hit the ground before the pass could be considered caught.

the receiver simply didn't catch that ball. they should've gone to ot.

Just now, Phoenix Wright said:

i disagree. he juggled it the second he brought it down. this happened just last week, against the eagles i'm pretty sure, and the call was the same. the play isn't dead as soon as he crosses the plane because you need two feet or one foot and another body part (not hands) to hit the ground before the pass could be considered caught.

the receiver simply didn't catch that ball. they should've gone to ot.

Again, he crossed the plane BEFORE all that happened and at that point, he had control. That's a TD. I won't keep arguing with you, my mind is made up here. I believe we were robbed and some Pats fans are even saying this too (not just chococoke either, I'm seeing it on Twitter, NFL.com, etc.). My opinion stands.

15 minutes ago, Phoenix Wright said:

before also. where he was before crossing the plane could not be ruled a catch (for reasons already said), and after crossing it he didn't complete it either.

He definitely had control before crossing the plane. It wasn't until his elbow made contact with the ground* that he lost his grip.

*this is the big thing here, as these kinds of calls are almost always only done when a player makes contact with another player, and a general rule of thumb to follow this is "The ground can't cause a fumble".

This was a bad call.

Edited by Slumber

31 minutes ago, Slumber said:

He definitely had control before crossing the plane. It wasn't until his elbow made contact with the ground* that he lost his grip.

*this is the big thing here, as these kinds of calls are almost always only done when a player makes contact with another player, and a general rule of thumb to follow this is "The ground can't cause a fumble".

This was a bad call.

This exactly.

But hopefully, this makes the NFL decide to look at the rulebook and stuff again, because as said, it's too hard to tell what is a catch/TD and what isn't now.

To clarify my earlier comments, I think the call was correct as far as the rule goes. I disagree with the rules and believe it should've been a catch, but then again I thought Dez Caught It, which he allegedly didn't, so clearly I know nothing. 

A victory is a victory, though, and going from the #3 seed to the #1 seed was huge. The Patriots are remarkably banged up this year, and missing that bye week in the playoffs would be a massive blow to their Super Bowl chances.

That being said, I don't think next week's game against Buffalo is a gimme. Our defense has looked like hot garbage with Van Noy out so it could see Tyrod/McCoy carving up the front 7 with ease

Actually, according to multiple people, that was not a catch and it was consistent with previous rulings, simply because he didn't have control (as indicated by the ball bobbling and the fact that he didn't do a 'football move'). Definitely something they're reviewing in the offseason -- apparently that was one of the most watched games all year.

15 hours ago, Integrity said:

A FEW HOURS LATE AND I KNOW IT WAS AGAINST THE BENGALS BUT SKOL

any bengals blowout is a good time, fuck those cocksuckers and congrats on the division. I hope we shut those fuckers out Week 17 so they finally know what it's like to play a Week 17 away game.

Anyway, hahahaha I was afraid the Browns would get their first win on us with Gordon torching us like Brown but nope, DeShone Kizer is playing like a poor man's rookie Matthew Stafford.

Edited by Lord Raven

I love the consistent dysfunction that Marv brings. This nonsense with the report that this is his last year, then him saying the report isn't true, is hilarious. The bengals will be screwed forever as long as they employ that joke 

I want to say something about Marvin Lewis.

First of all, he is not a joke. That dude was the DC of the 2000 Ravens, arguably one of the greatest if not at worst Top 5 defense of all time. Yeah, he had Ray Lewis and Rod Woodson to work with as well as a bunch of talent, but DCs can still fuck it up. He was very effective -- beyond effective in fact, basically shutting the giants out in the Super Bowl (their only TD was on Special Teams). There is a reason the Bengals hired him.

Now, the Bengals were complete and utter trash in the 90s. Beyond trash. What we look at with the Browns now and the post-Sanders pre-Stafford Lions, that was the gutter trash that the Bengals were. Marvin Lewis took over, drafted Palmer #1 overall, then rode him to a division title where he was an MVP candidate. Palmer was playing extremely well until his ACL broke.

From there, his defense floundered and he was up and down; going 8-8 in 06 and 07 I believe, 4-12 in 08 and sweeping the division in 9-7. Palmer's still injured at this point, but eventually they take Dalton in 2011 and go to 4 straight playoff seasons. They have a first round exit in each of them (and 2015, I maintain, was not his fault) but if you told someone in the 1990s that the Bengals would make the playoffs in 4-5 straight seasons in a division with two multi-Super Bowl winners who are also constantly making the playoffs, it would be unbelievable. If you told them, in 2000, that Marvin Lewis did it, you wouldn't be surprised.

As it stands now, he's a lame duck. He's been a lame duck since 2016. That's entirely his fault. 2015 was partially his fault and partially not. The guy has been acting as the GM as well for the Bengals and you cannot deny that ever since 2010, year after year they were a very talented team. The reason why we think he's so catastrophically shit is because he has all this talent and can't win games. I think he's more or less done with coaching, personally, but I think he is an incredible evaluator and he's very good at developing players. He just has either been unlucky in the playoffs (2005, 2015 -- that 2015 team may well have won a Super Bowl or made it if Dalton doesn't break his thumb, Dalton was playing incredible that year) or is just dealing with the cheapest owner in the NFL.

To put things into perspective, they didn't properly hire a full set of scouts until Marvin Lewis told Mike Brown to do it. He basically revitalized the organization. I think he should've been let go after 2016, personally, since you give him a year after one of the more successful Bengals teams since the 80s, but yeah. Marvin Lewis isn't the joke we all think he is; he is now at a point where he's keeping the Bengals in mediocrity, but he's definitely laid a foundation that a future coach can easily take advantage of. I pray he doesn't stay as their GM, personally.

Edited by Lord Raven