NFL 2017-2018 Season - Eagles win their first Super Bowl!

Anacybele

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've regained my respect for the Steelers. Turns out Steeler Nation and the media misinterpreted what they were doing.

I still don't think going into the locker room for the anthem was the best decision, but this is better than actually pulling a Kaepernick for real. I understand wanting to just stay out of it, that's kind of what I want to do too. Just screw it all and play football like that fan said in the email Rooney is referring to here.

Glad that my team didn't actually turn into a bunch of stupidheads after all.

Now PLEASE, cut the crap against worse teams. That's all I ask right now, Tomlin. Yes, this is on him. It's the coach's job to have the team prepared for every game, not just the ones against good teams.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not against people protesting for equality and what not, but why does it need to be during football? And why during the national anthem? 

I really wish these players could find another platform to protest on, cause no one wants to see this during football, they just want to watch fucking football. 

It was cool seeing Arthur Blank and the Falcons, as well as Shahid Khan and the Jaguars link arms and stand in solidarity during the national anthem. Would be cool to see more teams and their owners do that.

Oh cool I didn't think a page would exist for this! 

I have to say, Sunday was a pretty weird day. So many teams that I didn't expect to win such the Jets, Bears, and Redskins. My Patriots *hides* nearly got upset by the Texans of all teams. I was pretty darn scared we'd actually end up with a 1-2 record. 

The fact the Jaguars are doing well puts a smile on my face. I always felt bad for the team for bringing up the rear of the league for about six years or so, and the fact they didn't seem to improve last year while previously lousy teams like the Raiders/Bucs/Titans improved didn't help. I hope their success continues.

Regarding the protesting controversy, yeah I don't get it either. Why the national anthem in particular? What makes it controversial enough for people to show disrespect to the nation? I understand why some players may be disgruntled when looking at current events and whatnot, but those issues have always been around (and they were a heck of a lot worse half a century ago) and sadly they'll likely continue in the future because there will always be nasty, bigoted people out there. Plus what does kneeling even accomplish? How long do they plan on doing this? What will it take for players to be satisfied and stop these pointless protests? I heard attendances and viewership have gone down lately and while I can't say the protests are cause, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a factor. Right now team owners are supportive of the protests but I only wonder if they eventually change their minds, since keep in mind the NFL is also largely corporate and, well, money talks. I just wish everything didn't have to be weaved into something political. We just want to enjoy the game.

Anyways enough of that. I'm pretty excited for the week 4! ^_^

2 hours ago, Elincia said:

I'm not against people protesting for equality and what not, but why does it need to be during football? And why during the national anthem? 

I really wish these players could find another platform to protest on, cause no one wants to see this during football, they just want to watch fucking football. 

It was cool seeing Arthur Blank and the Falcons, as well as Shahid Khan and the Jaguars link arms and stand in solidarity during the national anthem. Would be cool to see more teams and their owners do that.

I know, this is my main issue with it too, honestly. Protest on your own time, not during football...

2 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

My Patriots *hides*

Don't worry, there's another Pats fan around here on the site. Name is chococoke. :P

I've always been the lone Steelers fan though. DX

19 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I know, this is my main issue with it too, honestly. Protest on your own time, not during football...

With all due respect, if they protest "on their own time" would they be heard? Did this gesture harm you in any way physically or mentally? I thought that this kind of thing was what peaceful protest was all about, and their publicity in doing so is what makes the message more effective. It'll piss off people who already thought Kaepernick was speaking out too much, but it'll touch people who are otherwise casual followers.

Besides, the NFL allowed it and encouraged it. I don't see how this is not "their own time."

I think we should take this into SD or something lol because I don't like the fact that people are soapboxing about this, I think it was actually really amazing/risky of the league to do it.

Having that said,

21 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Regarding the protesting controversy, yeah I don't get it either. Why the national anthem in particular?

Because the national anthem is in a way representative of America, so they're protesting against injustices by America.

What makes it controversial enough for people to show disrespect to the nation?

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

- Colin Kaepernick

I understand why some players may be disgruntled when looking at current events and whatnot, but those issues have always been around (and they were a heck of a lot worse half a century ago) and sadly they'll likely continue in the future because there will always be nasty, bigoted people out there.

This has been the narrative as well half a century ago. People were told not to protest in a peaceful way no matter how they did it. This is also the kind of mentality that Dr. Martin Luther King touched on in his letters from a Birmingham jail.

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

It doesn't mean we shouldn't bring awareness to try and fix the problem.

Plus what does kneeling even accomplish? How long do they plan on doing this? What will it take for players to be satisfied and stop these pointless protests?

Kneeling = bringing awareness

How long? idk

I heard attendances and viewership have gone down lately and while I can't say the protests are cause, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a factor. Right now team owners are supportive of the protests but I only wonder if they eventually change their minds, since keep in mind the NFL is also largely corporate and, well, money talks. I just wish everything didn't have to be weaved into something political. We just want to enjoy the game.

They're not a factor. Viewership was going down steadily during 2015 and continued into 2016 and 2017. I believe numbers showed that people were exasperated by the abundance of commercials and the abundance of stoppage. It's been an emphasis for the league for games to be over a full half hour early this year. Also the league's tendency to hide brain damage caused by playing football has weighed on people. Also, off-the-field issues of players coming to light consistently has also been killer.

Anyway, fuck the Jaguars and fuck Pittsburgh. Why did Harbaugh fly into London last Friday of all times?

Edited by Lord Raven

12 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

With all due respect, if they protest "on their own time" would they be heard? Did this gesture harm you in any way physically or mentally? I thought that this kind of thing was what peaceful protest was all about, and their publicity in doing so is what makes the message more effective. It'll piss off people who already thought Kaepernick was speaking out too much, but it'll touch people who are otherwise casual followers.

Besides, the NFL allowed it and encouraged it. I don't see how this is not "their own time."

I think we should take this into SD or something lol because I don't like the fact that people are soapboxing about this, I think it was actually really amazing/risky of the league to do it.

They have things like Facebook, Twitter, etc. And a guy on the radio earlier put it well. "You have money, you have this and that" and so on. I agree with him, they have the means to protest on their own time and be heard.

Look, I understand why they do it. I don't agree with Kaep that blacks are being oppressed in this country or anything, but not liking the issues this country does have is fine. It's just the way people express this at times that bugs me and others. The Steelers FB page for instance blew up with numerous angry fans over what they did at the Bears game. When so many people are pissed off at one of your actions, you know something is wrong.

But yeah, this should go into SD. Though I don't really want to talk about it much anyway.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They have things like Facebook, Twitter, etc. And a guy on the radio earlier put it well. "You have money, you have this and that" and so on. I agree with him, they have the means to protest on their own time and be heard.

Not nearly as much as a national audience. And their bosses not only approve of it but actively participate in it. I don't see the issue there.

Look, I understand why they do it. I don't agree with Kaep that blacks are being oppressed in this country or anything, but not liking the issues this country does have is fine.

We've talked about this a lot. Just because you think it's not happening doesn't mean it isn't.

When so many people are pissed off at one of your actions, you know something is wrong.

That's what was said of the Civil Rights movement in the 60s, or really any movement that shows rebellion. Re-read the MLK Jr. quote I wrote again, and you'll see exactly what I mean; he went through the same backlash.

But yeah, this should go into SD. Though I don't really want to talk about it much anyway.

Then why bring it up?

Edited by Lord Raven

1 minute ago, Lord Raven said:

Not nearly as much as a national audience. And their bosses not only approve of it but actively participate in it. I don't see the issue there.

We've talked about this a lot. Just because you think it's not happening doesn't mean it isn't.

That's what was said of the Civil Rights movement in the 60s, or really any movement that shows rebellion. Re-read the MLK Jr. quote I wrote again, and you'll see exactly what I mean; he went through the same backlash.

Then why bring it up?

True, but a football field and game are for football, not politics and political statements. That's all I have to say.

I was talking more about my team, not about politics.

Yeah honestly I agree with Ana. I simply brought it up to put in my two cents on the matter, and naturally I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I think its best that it isn't turned into potentially hot button debate. It wasn't really what I was going for when I made my post.

Does anyone here participate in fantasy leagues?

Just now, Anacybele said:

True, but a football field and game are for football, not politics and political statements. That's all I have to say.

I was talking more about my team, not about politics.

They're intertwined, and thats my response to both lines.

FYI, the Rams got similar backlash to signing Kenny Washington (first black player in the NFL) and they received a lot of media attention for drafting Michael Sam (first openly gay player in the NFL). It's nothing new. That's also how people felt with Jackie Robinson and the MLB.

Politics and sports have always been intertwined with players using their publicity to bring attention to issues. I know many people that personally became more aware of mental health due to Brandon Marshall, suicide/depression/bullying due to Ray Rice (and yes, this is part of why he fell so hard from grace), and various players due to diabetes. If you're propped up on a stage and have the ability to talk about something important, why not use it? Especially if the league's got your back.

I do believe people should stop putting in their two cents and then pretending it never happened. That ruins the point of discussion, no? And if we purely keep the subject to "should players be allowed to use their platform to bring awareness to their issues" it has a good chance of remaining civil.

And as it stands, yes, players should be allowed to use their platform for things like this. They always have been doing it, it's just that this person took a stand against police violence, and the US is fascinated with a culture of fake patriotism (read Bob Costas' thoughts on the matter) that's actually jingoism associated with symbolism as well as our military and police seems to somehow make this not okay.

Besides, they're partially taking a stand for Trump telling the NFL to fire anyone who kneels (and calling them a "son of a bitch" while not coming anywhere close to condemning white supremacy), even though people have been kneeling for the anthem since 2009. People have called Kaepernick disrespectful, despite him personally interviewing veterans saying "whats the most respectful way to do this? Sitting or kneeling?" and finally this wouldn't even be happening...  if Trump didn't call attention to it. Furthermore, the anthem hasn't even been played at NFL games consistently until 2009 when the military funded the anthem being played before games for a sense of patriotism.

And frankly, protesting the flag is the most American thing ever.

2 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

They're intertwined, and thats my response to both lines.

FYI, the Rams got similar backlash to signing Kenny Washington (first black player in the NFL) and they received a lot of media attention for drafting Michael Sam (first openly gay player in the NFL). It's nothing new. That's also how people felt with Jackie Robinson and the MLB.

Politics and sports have always been intertwined with players using their publicity to bring attention to issues. I know many people that personally became more aware of mental health due to Brandon Marshall, suicide/depression/bullying due to Ray Rice (and yes, this is part of why he fell so hard from grace), and various players due to diabetes. If you're propped up on a stage and have the ability to talk about something important, why not use it? Especially if the league's got your back.

I do believe people should stop putting in their two cents and then pretending it never happened. That ruins the point of discussion, no? And if we purely keep the subject to "should players be allowed to use their platform to bring awareness to their issues" it has a good chance of remaining civil.

And as it stands, yes, players should be allowed to use their platform for things like this. They always have been doing it, it's just that this person took a stand against police violence, and the US is fascinated with a culture of fake patriotism (read Bob Costas' thoughts on the matter) that's actually jingoism associated with symbolism as well as our military and police seems to somehow make this not okay.

Besides, they're partially taking a stand for Trump telling the NFL to fire anyone who kneels (and calling them a "son of a bitch" while not coming anywhere close to condemning white supremacy), even though people have been kneeling for the anthem since 2009. People have called Kaepernick disrespectful, despite him personally interviewing veterans saying "whats the most respectful way to do this? Sitting or kneeling?" and finally this wouldn't even be happening...  if Trump didn't call attention to it. Furthermore, the anthem hasn't even been played at NFL games consistently until 2009 when the military funded the anthem being played before games for a sense of patriotism.

And frankly, protesting the flag is the most American thing ever.

I want to make a longer response, but I can't, because I still have no idea what football and politics really have to do with each other. And as we said before, this is a thing for SD.

But again, sorry I can't make a longer response to this post, as you certainly took time to write all that.

LET'S BLOW THE RAVENS OUTTA THEIR OWN STADIUM! 19-zip Steelers at halftime!

Their struggles continue so much that fans in the stands gotta start blowing whistles to try throwing us off. lol (that actually happened, yes. Goofy people. I assume it was a Ravens fan because it was on a Steelers offensive play. No reason for a Steelers fan to try throwing that off)

This also means the Ravens have only scored a total of 7 points in their last 6 quarters of football. omg

EDIT: Okay, not quite as much of a blowout as I thought it might be, but it might as well have been. lol 26-9 Steelers and we finally win in Baltimore for the first time in like forever! This feels SO good! We win on Christmas BIG time and now this! WOOHOO!!

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

Jets win on bullshit penalty, got a free TD from the refs in the first quarter too. Good times.

Jaguar guy dropped a key pass too, but yeah, that was kind of crap right there. I saw the tail end of the OT since they put it on here as soon as the Steelers finished the Ravens.

Welp. TIL our defense is really that bad. Pretty miffed we lost a game we easily could have won but I don't really mind the Panthers either. 

It's so weird seeing the Jets win two in a row considering many people thought this team had a possibility of not winning a single game. 

I love the Panthers and hate the Patriots (sorry. xP), so of course I was glad to see that! I lived in NC for several years, and the Panthers wear my favorite color. lol I'm also really fond of Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly. In fact, I have a bit of a crush on the latter. :P

Two of my least favorite teams got beat by my two favorite teams yesterday! What a day for me. :awesome:

Edited by Anacybele

49 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I love the Panthers and hate the Patriots (sorry. xP), so of course I was glad to see that! I lived in NC for several years, and the Panthers wear my favorite color. lol I'm also really fond of Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly. In fact, I have a bit of a crush on the latter. :P

Two of my least favorite teams got beat by my two favorite teams yesterday! What a day for me. :awesome:

Bit of a Panthers fan myself. I admittedly also have a bit of a crush on Cam. That damn smile of his is just <3

15 minutes ago, Elincia said:

Bit of a Panthers fan myself. I admittedly also have a bit of a crush on Cam. That damn smile of his is just <3

Cam's smile is awesome. lol I love how he smiles even when a play messes up. I wish I could be like that... Kuechly is the one I have a crush on though. XD He's super cute and he's super nice!

Edited by Anacybele

Speaking of Cam, looks like he got into some hot water after talking to that reporter (he said something like he was surprised woman knew anything about routes). I think it was a slip of the tongue and not really meant to be malicious or sexist as the press made it to be, though he did take a while to sorry and he even lost sponsorship in those yogurt commercials. Yikes...

It was pretty condescending and yeah I would say it was sexist- watching the video it is definitely not a misguided attempt at celebrating having more women in sports journalism. Not the most horrible thing anyone's ever done. but I really can't defend it in any way.