NFL 2017-2018 Season - Eagles win their first Super Bowl!

Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I'm a Ravens hater mainly because of our rivalry too, and I got tired of losing to them a lot, especially in Baltimore. Now we've started kicking their asses more again and it feels good after several years of embarrassment. xP Especially that Christmas showdown last year! OMG.

Yeah, I actually sided with the Ravens that time too. Because I do hate the Patriots more. I hate the Patriots and Cowboys most. Most Steelers fans hate both of those teams though. lol

I don't like the Packers much, but since my younger brother liked them a lot and I respect Aaron Rodgers, I can't hate them. My brother died two years ago, so I sometimes root for the Packers for him.

Yeah, the Packers thing is just because I'm in the Twin Cities. I'm really close to Wisconsin, and there's definitely a strong Green Bay presence around the Twin Cities, so I have a little too much experience with Cheese Heads. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they're probably the sports fandom who takes their team the most seriously outside of the east coast(Professional sports, at least. Nothing holds a candle to the south and college football.), which seems really antithetical to the spirit of getting drunk, wearing cheese on your head, and watching the game.

I should be completely down with a fandom that does that, but they always manage to suck the fun out of everything.

Aaron Rodgers I like, I think the NFL is more interesting with him in it, but there are roughly 20 better teams he could be playing for. Imagine any team with a good coach, coordinators, and a solid defense and/or offense with him. That team would be unstoppable.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, the Packers thing is just because I'm in the Twin Cities. I'm really close to Wisconsin, and there's definitely a strong Green Bay presence around the Twin Cities, so I have a little too much experience with Cheese Heads. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they're probably the sports fandom who takes their team the most seriously outside of the east coast(Professional sports, at least. Nothing holds a candle to the south and college football.), which seems really antithetical to the spirit of getting drunk, wearing cheese on your head, and watching the game.

I should be completely down with a fandom that does that, but they always manage to suck the fun out of everything.

Aaron Rodgers I like, I think the NFL is more interesting with him in it, but there are roughly 20 better teams he could be playing for. Imagine any team with a good coach, coordinators, and a solid defense and/or offense with him. That team would be unstoppable.

Yeah, imagine Aaron Rodgers with the talent Big Ben has around him! AB and Bell are considered the best receiver and RB in the game right now. Hell, some say AB is the best player period right now, though I think that's up for debate. Anyway, Ben is still great, but I always thought Rodgers was the best QB out there lately. Better than Brady. Brady's had talent and great coaching helping him out, while Rodgers has single-handedly carried his team. He was the reason they got so far in the playoffs last year. A Brady-less Patriots team has gotten plenty of wins. But a Packers team without Aaron Rodgers? They almost always suck.

hes smart at football and thats all i seemed to really care about, he was really unintelligible post-NFL

i maintain we need an ed reed statue that towards above ray lewis and johnny unitas outside of M&T bank stadium...  as much as i love rubbing unitas' foot before any ravens game i go to

UGH. Our defense had to get even more injured than it already is... Why did Shazier have to pull that bonehead move and ram his head into someone? He was carried off on a stretcher and taken to the hospital for whatever reason though. Nothing on him was touched except his head. So not sure what this is about at all.

And AB started with a sore swollen toe on top of this... He's still playing and pretty damn well, but you never know if he might irritate that toe even more and be out of the game for real.

Our defense sucks now with all the injuries... We won't beat the Patriots like this. :( We might not even win today like this.

Edited by Anacybele

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

UGH. Our defense had to get even more injured than it already is... Why did Shazier have to pull that bonehead move and ram his head into someone? He was carried off on a stretcher and taken to the hospital for whatever reason though. Nothing on him was touched except his head. So not sure what this is about at all.

And AB started with a sore swollen toe on top of this... He's still playing and pretty damn well, but you never know if he might irritate that toe even more and be out of the game for real.

Our defense sucks now with all the injuries... We won't beat the Patriots like this. :( We might not even win today like this.

Nope, Steelers managed to pull another one out. Bengals gonna bungle.

Jesus Christ the highlights from that game. 

That looked like a group of dudes pit fighting more than a football game. 

Edited by Slumber

9 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

Nope, Steelers managed to pull another one out. Bengals gonna bungle.

Yeah, I just saw, but this was still a dirty win. Dirty hits from both sides, several injuries and penalties, etc. Burfict deserved the shit Smith-Schuster gave him (I consider that payback for when he injured three of our guys in one season with dirty hits!), but yeah. That'll teach him to mess with our guys!

Still, BOSWELL THE KICKING GOD! This ended just like the Packers game did. LOL But BOZ BOZ BOZ BOZ!! 10-2 and still hanging onto the 1st seed! Can we sweep the whole fucking division though? I'd love that. :P

A dirty win tonight, but it's a win and we're still keeping up with the Pats. I wonder if the Pats and their fans are facepalming. lol

Also, Bell bulldozing the fuck out of Kirkpatrick TWICE was pure entertainment gold. And he stiff-armed the fuck out of him in the first matchup too. LOL

@Slumber I'm rather used to it by now. The Steelers and Bengals have had a bloody rivalry for the past few years. It was especially bad a couple years ago when Vontaze Burfict injured Ben, Brown, AND Bell all in that one season and then the playoff game happened (that's where Brown was hurt). Fights and shit everywhere. There were also fights and blood boiling in their second regular season matchup.

Also, the Bengals are just butthurt because they can't stop losing to us. :P

Edited by Anacybele

12 hours ago, Slumber said:

Jesus Christ the highlights from that game. 

That looked like a group of dudes pit fighting more than a football game. 

That's how Bengals-Steelers works. These two teams absolutely fucking hate each other even though the Steelers keep torching their asses.

Like Ravens-Steelers is hard hitting out of some degree of respect for the other team (though I do hate them) but Bengals/Steelers is the purest form of vitriol you will ever seen. This dumb shit pretty much started in 2005 when they tore Palmer's ACL in the playoffs, and between Andy Dalton breaking his hand in 2015 and Vontaze Burfict laying a dirty-ass hit on Antonio Brown that kept him sidelined against Denver these two teams have literally wanted to slaughter each other for years.

Bengals can't do anything right. If we win out this season and the Steelers dropped Cincy and one more game then we'd take the division, but Cincy just had to fuck up a 14 point lead. I hate them and they disappoint me. I hope we shut their asses out again Week 17 to make up for all of the NFL's bullshit in putting our week 17s @cincy for 5 of the past 7 years or some shit. How amazing would it be if Dalton threw another five picks to us and they scored zero points? That means that we forced 10 turnovers and allowed 0 points against the Bengals all season which makes up for all of those bullshit nailbiters we lost since 2014.

35 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

That's how Bengals-Steelers works. These two teams absolutely fucking hate each other even though the Steelers keep torching their asses.

Like Ravens-Steelers is hard hitting out of some degree of respect for the other team (though I do hate them) but Bengals/Steelers is the purest form of vitriol you will ever seen. This dumb shit pretty much started in 2005 when they tore Palmer's ACL in the playoffs, and between Andy Dalton breaking his hand in 2015 and Vontaze Burfict laying a dirty-ass hit on Antonio Brown that kept him sidelined against Denver these two teams have literally wanted to slaughter each other for years.

Bengals can't do anything right. If we win out this season and the Steelers dropped Cincy and one more game then we'd take the division, but Cincy just had to fuck up a 14 point lead. I hate them and they disappoint me. I hope we shut their asses out again Week 17 to make up for all of the NFL's bullshit in putting our week 17s @cincy for 5 of the past 7 years or some shit. How amazing would it be if Dalton threw another five picks to us and they scored zero points? That means that we forced 10 turnovers and allowed 0 points against the Bengals all season which makes up for all of those bullshit nailbiters we lost since 2014.

I never knew a team out of Ohio could be so passionate about the game.

Blowing a 14 point lead is pretty impressive.

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I never knew a team out of Ohio could be so passionate about the game.

If only Cincinnati and Cleveland had the same level of talent as Ohio State, maybe the Bengals wouldn't be drafting attack dogs and the Browns would not be almost an 0-16 team.

1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

Andy Dalton breaking his hand in 2015

Dude, he did that to himself trying to tackle Tuitt after he picked him off. lol

1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

Vontaze Burfict laying a dirty-ass hit on Antonio Brown

And Bell. And Ben (after the initial tackle).

But yeah, Lord Raven basically described the Steelers and Bengals rivalry to a T. So unnecessarily bloody and stupid. I hate the Bengals more than I ever did before at this point because of their stupid shit against us. Yeah, the Steelers have been a bit dirty against them too, but in their case it was pretty much either justified (Smith-Schuster's pummeling of Burfict), or over a fucking decade ago (that Palmer ACL tear). These days, I'd rather see the Ravens beat us than watch this stupid bloodbath. At least the Ravens aren't dirty thugs.

And the Bengals gonna keep being Bungles as long as Marvin Lewis is their coach. lol

Also, the Steelers just know how to make a comeback when it counts. :P They came back from a 14-point deficit earlier this season too, against the Lions, I think.

Edited by Anacybele

Sup friends. Better late than never, eh? A few thoughts:

-holy crap, the entire league sucks so much this year. I think a decent amount of that is injuries to star players (it seems like every contender in the NFL has lost at least one key contributor for the year,) though quarterback play has been mostly suspect this year, too.

-expanding off of this thought, woooo boy does the AFC stank. The fact that the Ravens will likely make the playoffs down their best defender is all anyone really needs to know here.

-this seems like the type of year where the greatness of a team's offense or defense can carry them to a title. With that in mind, the only two units that scare me in the AFC are Jags defense and Steelers offense (Ravens defense would've made this list if Jimmy Smith didn't go down)

-I'll definitely be disappointed if the Patriots don't repeat given the league-wide play so far, but I think they're far from shoo-ins to SB52. The defense can't stop the run worth a damn and they've been gifted quite a few games this season by idiotic coaching/player mistakes 

EDIT: also, Ana, I can't say the Bengals made me facepalm last night. I never once thought they'd win that game

Edited by chococoke

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Dude, he did that to himself trying to tackle Tuitt after he picked him off. lol

i dont think that'll change the player's perception, whether or not it makes sense

15 minutes ago, chococoke said:

-I'll definitely be disappointed if the Patriots don't repeat given the league-wide play so far, but I think they're far from shoo-ins to SB52. The defense can't stop the run worth a damn and they've been gifted quite a few games this season by idiotic coaching/player mistakes 

yeah i think out of the entire AFC we match up best with you guys, and we're far from a shoo-in to even play you guys given our dismal performance against the winner of the AFC South that will be the three seed

15 minutes ago, chococoke said:

holy crap, the entire league sucks so much this year. I think a decent amount of that is injuries to star players (it seems like every contender in the NFL has lost at least one key contributor for the year,) though quarterback play has been mostly suspect this year, too.

just the afc sucks, the nfc is solid and i'm confident that even the 49ers would be 5-11 in the AFC

like i said earlier there's 9 NFC teams that look good and there's 3 AFC teams that look good (Patriots, Jaguars, and Chargers -- the Steelers are decent but they do not look like a 10-2 team for various reasons) which is almost criminal. The Ravens may make the playoffs instead of, say, the Falcons who are 50x better than us.

Granted, we've had a ridiculously easy schedule. We've only dropped two winnable games (Titans, Bears) at the cost of Rodgers' collarbone and actually blowing out Detroit.

Edited by Lord Raven

30 minutes ago, chococoke said:

-this seems like the type of year where the greatness of a team's offense or defense can carry them to a title. With that in mind, the only two units that scare me in the AFC are Jags defense and Steelers offense (Ravens defense would've made this list if Jimmy Smith didn't go down)

The AFC really has like, 3 teams who can shake things up right now, so I'm not sure if I'd say the Pats are far from shoo-ins. It's probably going to come down to either the Jags of the Steelers to take the conference from them, though neither team is particularly well balanced right now.

The Patriots have had a pretty easy regular season schedule(Most of their difficult games have been at home), though, and I can see play-offs being a wake-up call for them when they have to play teams that aren't pushovers.

But yeah, I mentioned it last week, and the competition in the AFC is laughable compared to the competition in the NFC right now.

Edited by Slumber

22 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

i dont think that'll change the player's perception, whether or not it makes sense

Yeah, maybe not.

22 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

the Steelers are decent but they do not look like a 10-2 team for various reasons)

As much as I hate to admit it, I half agree. On paper we should be as dominant as the Patriots, but Ben's been up and down (though clutch when he needs to be, which is a big reason we ARE 10-2) and our defense is now injury ridden, mainly in the secondary where we're weakest regardless. -_- I still think we can beat the Pats, but it'll have to come down to which defense screws up more since both teams are bad on that side of the ball right now (theoretically, Bell should trash this Pats D while Brady could smoke ours just as bad). I'm just glad this game will be in Pittsburgh. We sometimes beat them there.

Still, I so miss Joe Haden right now and I'm gonna so miss Ryan Shazier too. Hope these guys get back soon. Haden at least is off the crutches.

@chococoke I'm kinda surprised, kinda not surprised to see you say that. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Shazier was a fucking idiot to tackle like that. But yeah. Good news though, Lord Raven, he has movement in his lower body again. So he's going to recover. It's just a matter of how long that takes.

But god it sucks not having him or Haden right now. They practically shut down half the field together and now our secondary looks as bad as it was a year or so ago...

Edited by Anacybele

his hit was an accident lol. he did not mean to lead with his head like that.

after playing rugby and football, i honestly think making tackles similarly strict like how they are in rugby would help the league's injury troubles a lot. a lot of guys have terrible form but are very powerful, so they make tackles. because there are pads, i don't think you need always need to wrap (especially if you're going for a forced fumble), but you should be required to lead with your shoulder and keep your head on the outside leg of the ball carrier. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

i saw ryan shazier's injury and that triggered my claustrophobia, i hope he gets well quickly because that looked awful

Just so long as you don't bend it or separate discs, your spine is surprisingly durable. 

If he's already moving again, he'll probably make a full recovery. 

Can't say that seeing him scrunch like a slinky didn't make me wince, though. 

also i'm semi confident about sunday because the steelers defense seems like it's dropping and there's an off chance that our offense is starting to learn what scoring is like (also feasting on defenses full of holes)

like if marty could harness the spirit he had during the raiders and steelers games that would be amazing. i'd kill for that offense that played the browns too

I'm only semi-confident too because we still have a great offense and this is in Pittsburgh. AB's toe should be better by then too and he'll probably be returning punts again. But of course, our D still has injury issues and Smith-Schuster who really helps our offense is suspended a game for his hit on Burfict.

I'd kill for the defense that picked off Mariota four times and sacked him five...

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I'd kill for the defense that picked off Mariota four times and sacked him five...

Meanwhile, the defense that showed up against Matthew Stafford? I'd kill for that against Ben. Our Defense can be vicious when they have urgency, and Brandon Williams fixes the run defense that kinda fucked us against early Steelers.

I'm cautiously optimistic, I'm not saying that we will pull it out, but we haven't been swept by the Steelers since 2008 and in fact have had a winning record against them since 2008.

45 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Meanwhile, the defense that showed up against Matthew Stafford? I'd kill for that against Ben. Our Defense can be vicious when they have urgency, and Brandon Williams fixes the run defense that kinda fucked us against early Steelers.

I'm cautiously optimistic, I'm not saying that we will pull it out, but we haven't been swept by the Steelers since 2008 and in fact have had a winning record against them since 2008.

Yeah, your defense is the reason we match up weird with you guys and why you tend to give us a hard time. But it also makes them good games to watch a lot, regardless of who wins! It just felt good to finally beat you guys in Baltimore for a change. And on Christmas last year, it felt damn good to beat you guys at all. We kept losing repeatedly before that. ._.

Yeah, but we also hadn't won in Baltimore since 2014 and yet we did just that this year already. :P Streaks are made to be broken at some point!

I'm not going to say we'll win for sure either. I'd say it's 50/50 here.

Edited by Anacybele