NFL 2017-2018 Season - Eagles win their first Super Bowl!

Anacybele

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QBs can definitely fall off a cliff quickly when they're old. Favre's dropoff from 2009 to 2010 was pretty gradual, and Manning went from MVP-calibur to crap in the middle of the 2014 season.

I'm also predicting that Bell won't stay in Pittsburgh next year and Ben Roethlisberger will miss games and possibly fall off a cliff. It depends on their OL holding, and if their next RB can pass block.

2 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

QBs can definitely fall off a cliff quickly when they're old. Favre's dropoff from 2009 to 2010 was pretty gradual, and Manning went from MVP-calibur to crap in the middle of the 2014 season.

I'm also predicting that Bell won't stay in Pittsburgh next year and Ben Roethlisberger will miss games and possibly fall off a cliff. It depends on their OL holding, and if their next RB can pass block.

Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Brees are all fighting the clock now.

I can't see Brady and Brees staying around for more than 2 more seasons, which would likely be a near collapse for each team(Brees has practically been the glue holding the Saints together for a long while now). Roethlisberger and Rodgers might have about 5 left in them, but they could start slowing down any season now, and that could spell trouble for their teams.

The NFL could be seeing a QB crisis of sorts in the near future. Carson Wentz, supposing he continues to play as well as he did this season, could have another 15 years to his legacy. The idea of the Eagles being a powerhouse for 15 years along the lines of the Patriots for the last 15 year both scares and amuses me.

Edited by Slumber

Ben's still good for a few more years if he keeps playing the way he has been. Yeah, his first half of the season was kind of bad, but he started looking elite again after that, and even got himself a third 500 yard game! And it was against one of the best defenses in the league. Ben is the only QB to have three 500 yd games now.

Bell though, yeah, he's up in the air now... I really hope he stays with us. Killer B's wouldn't be the same without him... But if he does leave, I hope James Conner can fill his role well enough.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Carson Wentz, supposing he continues to play as well as he did this season, could have another 15 years to his legacy. The idea of the Eagles being a powerhouse for 15 years along the lines of the Patriots for the last 15 year both scares and amuses me.

The things the Patriots did is unsustainable, and the Eagles do not even have to pay their QB yet. They probably have the cheapest set of QBs in the league; like 11m total poured into the position this year.

We're pretty high on the Eagles now because they looked complete with a backup to an MVP quarterback but I dunno. The league's a shitshow and that's why it's fun. Imagine their coordinators getting poached at some point in the future. Like 6-8 coaches get fired every year after all.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Brees are all fighting the clock now.

Also Manning and to a lesser extent Rivers. The oldest QBs after those guys retire will be Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Matthew Stafford.

Rodgers is fine. He spent 3 years on the bench. He is basically two years behind Rivers in starting. But given that Palmer (2003 draft) just retired, yeah retirement is on the horizon for some of the greats.

34 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

On the other side of the hill, I bet that the NCAA will send some good talent to the NFL this year. Also, some younger QBs like Marcus Mariota and Blake Bortles can fill that gap, especially Bortles.

We’ll see. Mariota is kinda gimped due to being on an overall underperforming team. The Titan’s defense is alright, but the offense is meh, especially the receivers. They’ll have their work cut out for them in the off-season.

As for Bortles, he’s certainly improved compared to his garbage performance in the previous season. However, his issue is consistency. He can be a surprisingly stunning playmaker one game and an erratic mess the next. It’s likely the team will give him another year to prove it wasn’t a fluke, but don’t be shocked if there’s quarterback competition later on, whether it’s against a seasoned FA or a drafted rookie.

Edited by SilvertheShadow

12 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

We’ll see. Mariota is kinda gimped due to being on an overall underperforming team. The Titan’s defense is alright, but the offense is meh, especially the receivers. They’ll have their work cut out for them in the off-season.

See, I think the team underachieved because of Mariota's regression. The fact that he was taking steps back as a passer in his 3rd season does not bode well for his future. Of course, it remains to be seen how much of that is due to coaching, or if he can turn things around. He played behind one of the best OLs in the league and his pass catchers, while not world beaters, weren't exactly slouches. They have the pieces in place on offense to be dynamic

6 hours ago, chococoke said:

See, I think the team underachieved because of Mariota's regression. The fact that he was taking steps back as a passer in his 3rd season does not bode well for his future. Of course, it remains to be seen how much of that is due to coaching, or if he can turn things around. He played behind one of the best OLs in the league and his pass catchers, while not world beaters, weren't exactly slouches. They have the pieces in place on offense to be dynamic

I dunno man I've heard nothing but awful things about that coaching staff, cause Mariota didn't seem as bad when I saw him in the playoffs as the stats made him seem

18 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

I dunno man I've heard nothing but awful things about that coaching staff, cause Mariota didn't seem as bad when I saw him in the playoffs as the stats made him seem

Yeah, Thanks Bud Adams. You never let Fisher do his job, and we've had 5 coaches in 10 years because of it.

And I can't wait to see how Randy Fichtner does as our new OC. He and Ben are great friends, so they definitely should have some chemistry if anything. I can see it working out pretty well. If you don't have a good relationship with your coach, you're only holding both of you guys back. But that's not the only thing they need. Fichtner will still have to know when to call what play if Ben isn't the one doing it.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, chococoke said:

I feel you, Mike Mularkey doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Hopefully Mariota thrives under a fresh coach and system 

I was personally shocked when they kept him after firing whisenhunt and Vrabel is such an out of nowhere hire that I dunno where the Titans really go from here

They're really not that great a team 

@Hylian Air Force Jeff Fischer was pretty much a lame duck coach by the time 2010 hit or whatever year he got fired. I don't think the ownership is really to blame; going one and done as the #1 seed to an upstart ravens squad lead by a rookie QB is bound to make ownership shakey on your performance. Especially since the Titans had seen little playoff success outside of like 2003 since their super bowl berth. The game definitely passed him by 

Edited by Lord Raven

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

@Lord Raven The Titans need to be sold to a person or a group that actually gives a shit. The Adams kids don't really know what they are doing, and Bud didn't let the coaches do their job.

In what way did he did that with Fisher? Because in ten years with Fisher he made a super bowl and was a yard from taking it to OT against the greatest show on turf and made it to the divisional round a few times in a division with either the Ravens/Steelers both or Peyton Manning, and that was from 99-09.

It's just that Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Mularkey and whoever else are shit coaches. Whisenhunt was already proven terrible on both the Titans and the Cardinals.

Wow, we just got a new defensive line coach. First Todd Haley gets fired, then the WR coach retires, now we needed a new D-line coach too. I've never seen the Steelers do so much coach-changing in one off-season before. It's actually rather unusual for them.

Oh, and also, the previous D-line coach moved up to assistant head coach. Not sure what happened with the previous assistant head coach.

EDIT: And now a new defensive backs coach too. Geez. XD

Edited by Anacybele

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

First Todd Haley gets fired

*Doesn't get signed back

They didn't renew his contract. It's a minor distinction, but if his contract were intact, he'd probably stay another year.

13 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

*Doesn't get signed back

They didn't renew his contract. It's a minor distinction, but if his contract were intact, he'd probably stay another year.

Which basically means he was fired, since they didn't want to renew his contract. Choosing not to renew it is just a lighter way of going about it rather than just outright terminating an ongoing contract.

52 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Which basically means he was fired, since they didn't want to renew his contract. Choosing not to renew it is just a lighter way of going about it rather than just outright terminating an ongoing contract.

That's not really a firing, b/c if he had a year it's likely he'd be given that year, neither side pursued renewal

although real talk, does anyone know anything about don martindale? the only time he was DC was in like 08-09 and he was trash at it, but that was like that dysfunctional Broncos team with Josh McDaniels

I'm glad McDaniels isn't going to the Colts. That situation is an abomination, but those Broncos years were ridiculously awful and someone greenlighting the Tim Tebow pick in the first round is the dumbest shit he ever did, esp since he traded up for Tebow. That, and being ridiculously standoffish with his assistants and players.

Edited by Lord Raven

23 hours ago, Chipper Jones Fan said:

I watched the Superbowl and I am glad they won, the last time I predicted they would win was in the late 2000s not sure what Superbowl. 

I only know this because I'm a homer and Super Bowl 35 was 2000-2001 (for the 2000 NFL Season).

Our GM Kevin Colbert said he's confident we'll keep Bell and sign him long-term! That's a good sign! :D But we'll see, we'll see, we'll see!

Edited by Anacybele