NFL 2017-2018 Season - Eagles win their first Super Bowl!

Anacybele

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand why you'd feel that way. And, while you're partially correct, you have to think about the other factors in play. The Steelers are already paying Antonio Brown huge money. I'd estimate Bell is going to get a long term deal somewhere around $15m per year. In the short term he could be worth that money, but he's also had a lot of touches the past couple of seasons (including and absurd total of like 425 this season)

There's really no way to tell how much longer he can go like that, even at age 26. Plus, paying him, AB, and Ben top tier money would really hamper the Steelers, cap-wise

Edited by chococoke

2 hours ago, chococoke said:

I understand why you'd feel that way. And, while you're partially correct, you have to think about the other factors in play. The Steelers are already paying Antonio Brown huge money. I'd estimate Bell is going to get a long term deal somewhere around $15m per year. In the short term he could be worth that money, but he's also had a lot of touches the past couple of seasons (including and absurd total of like 425 this season)

There's really no way to tell how much longer he can go like that, even at age 26. Plus, paying him, AB, and Ben top tier money would really hamper the Steelers, cap-wise

Bell is acting greedy, that's what he's doing. The Rooneys don't give into greed, so he needs to stop and stay where he is. He's on a SB contending team. Also, we have no run game without him. Our other RBs are unseasoned rookies and scrubs. James Conner showed flashes of potential, but we don't know if he'd be a top tier RB and worthy replacement for Bell. Roosevelt Nix is a blocker, not really full RB material. Fitzgerald Toussaint is just okay. And then that Ridley guy was upgraded from the freakin' practice squad.

They want some cap space? Get rid of people like Landry Jones. He is no quality backup QB. Make Joshua Dobbs the no. 2 instead (he showed a lot of potential). He doesn't completely suck like he used to, but he's still not good at all. He does have one or two wins on his record, but those were because he came late in the game after Ben was hurt and threw like one pass... This is what ought to be done.

So, on another note, and I meant to bring this up before, but I kept forgetting. How was that Jags INT at the end of their wild card game a catch if Jesse James's overturned TD vs the Pats wasn't? Seriously, the Jags guy bobbled the ball a bit as he came down and it touched the ground slightly. Exact same as Jesse James (except I still don't think it actually touched the ground in his case, but that's irrelevant here). The commentators even noted this. This is why the catch rule is fucking dumb and why the refs suck sometimes. No consistency here.

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Bell is acting greedy, that's what he's doing. The Rooneys don't give into greed, so he needs to stop and stay where he is. He's on a SB contending team.

He also uses this as his livelihood, and he needs long-term stability which a contract offers. Any team can be super bowl contending or not contending at the drop of a hat, and opportunities are fleeting. If they pay Bell 12m but Bell could get a 50m/3 years contract, then he's taking the latter; the point is to have the opportunity to negotiate a contract.

If they franchise tag him and his career ends next year, then he'll be pissed. Also Rooney doesn't make the decision; the GM Kevin Colbert gets the final say on his contract. The amount of touches he gets on the Steelers could also be wearing on him.

Don't blame the NFL players for "greed," he only finished his rookie contract, and his career could end at pretty much any moment. On top of the long-term issues they have to deal with physically. It's less about greed and more about looking after yourself and your family long-term and knowing how much you are worth due to your skillset.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

They want some cap space? Get rid of people like Landry Jones. He is no quality backup QB. Make Joshua Dobbs the no. 2 instead (he showed a lot of potential). He doesn't completely suck like he used to, but he's still not good at all. He does have one or two wins on his record, but those were because he came late in the game after Ben was hurt and threw like one pass... This is what ought to be done.

Landry Jones is making the minimum you can make in the nfl in his position (veteran QB). Backups generally aren't good either, you just need someone who can fill in from time to time. Typically when you get to your backup your team's screwed unless you're on the Vikings.

The reason why they wouldn't go to Dobbs as the backup is because they watch the QBs practice and we don't so their judgment is far more accurate than ours when it comes to the backups. If he looked good it was likely in preseason against backups which doesn't tell the viewer much.

Basically, there's probably a lot of people they can't remove for whatever reason and 15 million for an RB is unnecessary when your team has lacked depth on defense as of late.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

So, on another note, and I meant to bring this up before, but I kept forgetting. How was that Jags INT at the end of their wild card game a catch if Jesse James's overturned TD vs the Pats wasn't? Seriously, the Jags guy bobbled the ball a bit as he came down and it touched the ground slightly. Exact same as Jesse James (except I still don't think it actually touched the ground in his case, but that's irrelevant here). The commentators even noted this. This is why the catch rule is fucking dumb and why the refs suck sometimes. No consistency here.

The Jesse James catch was true to the word of the catch rule. There was conclusive evidence (in my still he was torquing the ball down so it hit the ground; try holding a football the way he does in that still and it'll touch the ground) that Jesse James touched the ground.

There was no such conclusive evidence here. Ramsey covered it up in all sorts of different replay angles, the ref didn't see the most conclusive angle, and it looked like the tip of the ball was underneath his hand but might've touched. The issue was that there's no conclusive evidence in any of these angles that it touches the ground before he takes control. If it did conclusively touch the ground then it would not be a catch. They were spending around 4 minutes checking it in this game btw.

They also said the ruling stands, not is confirmed, meaning that there is no reason to overturn it.

I saw it just fine, huh... I'm not sure how to respond to all of that, Lord Raven, as I'm not good with long posts (and I know I've told you before, but it's okay), but I suppose you make valid points. Pretty sure I saw that ball hit the ground when Ramsey came down with it tho. And I don't dislike the Jags, so there's no anti-bias. Oh well, can't change anything.

Also, a Pennsylvania SB is still possible! Nice job Eagles knocking off the Falcons!

I got worried the other day when AB went home sick, but he seems to be fine now. Also, Artie Burns and Stephon Tuitt are probably still playing despite getting hurt at practice too.

Edited by Anacybele

Damn you Falcons. Now the Vikings have to play on the road, supposing they beat the Saints tomorrow.

I still favor them over the Eagles, but you guys threw that game away.

OMG, Mariota is torching the Pats. WOW. Haha, go Super Mariota! I think this guy might be worthy of borrowing Mario Lemieux's nickname! (he was a Pitt Penguins superstar who was called Super Mario a lot for obvious reasons)

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Titans off to an early lead is encouraging, but it goes without saying that you should never count the Patriots out until the game is over.

Yeah, it's just surprising that the Titans ever have a lead in this game, let alone score first and just make the Pats get burned by Mariota's feet and then his arm. :P

Edited by Anacybele

And another bad call. You can't tell who moved first there, but no, refs decided to change their minds and give the Titans an offside instead of the Pats a false start. Refs are helping them AGAIN. Fuck them, man.

7 minutes ago, chococoke said:

Agreed. Pretty shitty reffing so far. Ball don't lie though, maybe Brady throws a pick-6

Yeah, and no offense to you or other Pats fans, but this crap is why people lately have been making jokes and accusations about the Pats cheating by paying the refs. I'm not saying I believe they actually do that, of course, but it IS stupid how many calls are going in their favor lately and it makes me like this team less anyway.

6 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I thought you said you weren't going to root for the Titans?

Me? Of course I'm cheering for them! I HATE the Pats and want them to just go the fuck away for once. I'm tired of seeing them and tired of my team losing to them. I wouldn't mind my Steelers kicking their asses though, and we did prove we could outplay them! They got lucky before. LUCKY.

Also, I must be the only person that thinks Tony Romo is fun as a commentator... I can't quite put my finger on why, but I really enjoy him.

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Also, a Pennsylvania SB is still possible! Nice job Eagles knocking off the Falcons!

You act like that's a difficult thing to do. The Falcons are so predictable that I can tell exactly what point in the playoffs they're going to choke. They always choke. Like with the super bowl last year. Had a lead that by all rights should've let them just coast on by in the second half. Choked so hard they managed to get tied up and even be the first team to lose in overtime during the Superbowl. At this point only diehard Falcons fans stick with the team, that is how embarrassingly bad the Falcons are. They're lucky, they ain't good.

Edit: This cycle is so predictable, I came up with: Birds fly, fish swim, Atlanta sports teams choke if they make it to the playoffs.

Edited by Roshi Roze

8 hours ago, Roshi Roze said:

You act like that's a difficult thing to do. The Falcons are so predictable that I can tell exactly what point in the playoffs they're going to choke. They always choke. Like with the super bowl last year. Had a lead that by all rights should've let them just coast on by in the second half. Choked so hard they managed to get tied up and even be the first team to lose in overtime during the Superbowl. At this point only diehard Falcons fans stick with the team, that is how embarrassingly bad the Falcons are. They're lucky, they ain't good.

Edit: This cycle is so predictable, I came up with: Birds fly, fish swim, Atlanta sports teams choke if they make it to the playoffs.

The Falcons are a good team though, and the Eagles were using a backup QB. Did you forget about Wentz's season ending injury?

Also, knew the Titans wouldn't do much... Though I blame it on their OC and offensive line. Mariota actually played pretty well.

9 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

blah blah blah, congrats to the Patriots, etc. I'm tired. Also, if Jacksonville doesn't win tomorrow, I'm rooting for the NFC team, no questions asked.

Does every single person in this thread but me hate the Steelers or something? What's up with that? Is it because of me?

Edited by Anacybele

It has more to do with the fact that the Steelers are in the mix for the AFC title almost every season. There are very, VERY few (if any at all) people rooting for the Steelers or Patriots that aren't fans of the teams themselves. I mean, only one QB who isn't Ben, Brady, or Peyton Manning, has represented the AFC in the Super Bowl in the past 15 seasons? And that guy turned out to be basically average at best. Fans want to see something new, can you really blame them?