NFL 2017-2018 Season - Eagles win their first Super Bowl!

Anacybele

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this season's been wild

i got over missing the playoffs like later that night because of how much we overperformed and had three shut-outs and an offense that went from catastrophic to casually putting up 30 a game, how the fuck

among other things like the Falcons' road to the playoffs, the Eagles and the Vikings making it to the NFCCG without their starter, and the fucking Jaguars making it to the AFCCG

holy fuck

Edited by Lord Raven

Yeah, I've gotten over today myself. Kinda because it means we won't lose to the Patriots and kinda because Ben said he still wants to play again and stuff. I wonder if he really doesn't want to retire until he gets one more ring. Or maybe he thinks AB and some other guys on the team who are ringless deserve one too. And I'd agree, AB deserves one.

Whatever the case, more Big Ben! :D

Edited by Anacybele

I feel bad for Marcus Williams. A good amount of people seem to rationalize that the Saints loss last night wasn't his fault, but a lot of people are also blaming it on him, and he took the loss hard. The lack of defense deeper down field is even more bizarre than his tackle, and the game probably wouldn't even have been as close as it was without his interception earlier in the game, so it seems shitty to blame the loss on him. 

3 hours ago, chococoke said:

I doubt that changes his demands from earlier. I'll be watching his situation closely. Hopefully the Patriots can sign Dion Lewis long-term before Bell does inevitably  reset the RB market

It might not, no, but it's always possible that he and the front guys will come to an agreement. If Bell can't stay with us though, I hope anybody but the Pats or another AFC North team get him. ANYONE but them, Bell, please!

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Phoenix Wright said:

he's to blame for that play, as it was a poor decision, but putting the loss on him is a bit much. a lot went wrong for them that game.

Again, Marcus is going to get the brunt of it for being where he was and doing what he did, but I think a lot more should be said about the people who weren't where they should have been, not doing what they were supposed to do.

Diggs running a 34 yard TD with virtually NO resistance in a playoff game is more bizarre to me than Marcus trying, and failing, to get a tackle in-bounds on Diggs. Like, I can get what Marcus was probably trying to do. He needed Diggs down in-bounds with a clean tackle in order to stop a potential field-goal. His approach of going head down and hoping for the best didn't work.

I can only assume the rest of the Saints' defense got cocky and thought there'd be no way there'd be anything more than a potential field-goal with that much time left, so why bother going that deep? Either that or they were so focused on getting Keenum that they limited themselves far too much to recover. Either way, it feels like the Vikings getting that TD should be put on the whole team, not just Marcus.

I just feel bad for the dude. If it wasn't for him, the game likely wouldn't have been as close as it was up to that point. For your first year, with a playoff team, to end like that, with a ton of people pointing fingers at him... I can't imagine how morale-crushing that would be.

Edited by Slumber

The whole situation with Markus Williams eerily reminds me of the time when that Packers player Brandon Bostick screwed up catching that onside kick during the conference finals against Seattle. In fact, not too long after that game, the guy was sent packing.

Now obviously the Saints aren’t going to release Williams (unless they’re that stupid), but it’s understandable why some people choose to pick him as a scapegoat. It’s much easier to blame a specific person rather than the entirety of the team, whether it’s fair or not. 

Regarding Bell, it really depends  if he’s humble enough to take a lower salary. Obviously Bell wants to remain with his team, but at the end of the day it comes down to money. After doing some research the Steelers aren’t in the best place regarding their salary cap, so if they keep Bell (which I predict will happen), then there will be several players hitting the road as a result which could be ugly. 

It reminds me of the Rahim Moore play more than anything from the Ravens-Broncos game, although in the Bostick and Moore cases it just enabled an overtime game whereas Keenum legit got lucky

This was way more egregious than Moore though, because Jones had Carter burnt and Moore didn't take the correct angle to Jacoby Jones or the ball, he just kinda fell on his ass. That play shook the Broncos so hard that they kneeled the last 40 seconds instead of trying with three timeouts to retake the lead.

Edited by Lord Raven

10 hours ago, Slumber said:

Again, Marcus is going to get the brunt of it for being where he was and doing what he did, but I think a lot more should be said about the people who weren't where they should have been, not doing what they were supposed to do.

Diggs running a 34 yard TD with virtually NO resistance in a playoff game is more bizarre to me than Marcus trying, and failing, to get a tackle in-bounds on Diggs. Like, I can get what Marcus was probably trying to do. He needed Diggs down in-bounds with a clean tackle in order to stop a potential field-goal. His approach of going head down and hoping for the best didn't work.

I can only assume the rest of the Saints' defense got cocky and thought there'd be no way there'd be anything more than a potential field-goal with that much time left, so why bother going that deep? Either that or they were so focused on getting Keenum that they limited themselves far too much to recover. Either way, it feels like the Vikings getting that TD should be put on the whole team, not just Marcus.

I just feel bad for the dude. If it wasn't for him, the game likely wouldn't have been as close as it was up to that point. For your first year, with a playoff team, to end like that, with a ton of people pointing fingers at him... I can't imagine how morale-crushing that would be.

i'm agreeing with you. i didn't mean to make it sound like i wasn't.

8 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

It reminds me of the Rahim Moore play more than anything from the Ravens-Broncos game, although in the Bostick and Moore cases it just enabled an overtime game whereas Keenum legit got lucky

This was way more egregious than Moore though, because Jones had Carter burnt and Moore didn't take the correct angle to Jacoby Jones or the ball, he just kinda fell on his ass. That play shook the Broncos so hard that they kneeled the last 40 seconds instead of trying with three timeouts to retake the lead.

lmaoooooo that play

I don't think the Jags have much of a chance in Foxboro this Sunday. If they stick to the same offensive gameplan they've used all season, they're going to find the sledding to be very tough. Fournette is the type of back that gets swallowed up by this Patriots front 7 (if you don't believe me, look at Henry's numbers from last week.) Part of that is because of James Harrison, who is an absolute beast playing against the run.

I think Jacksonville's only chance offensively is to mix in a ton of spread formations with quick passes, and to utilize Yeldon out of the backfield. Yeldon is a huge mismatch in the passing game against any linebacker on the Patriots.

Offensively, I think the Patriots will utilize their own running back's heavily in the passing game. That and a steady mix of Gronk/Amendola should probably be enough to win the game. Granted, if that Jacksonville defensive line can play out of their minds, this game could turn into a slugfest and come down to the wire

And the Steelers officially said goodbye to Todd Haley! Great decision by Tomlin. He was holding back our offense a lot at times with his stupid play calls. Stuff only really got done when Ben was in charge. And when Ben retires, he needs to come back as an OC. Seems like he'd be great at it!

I don't like people complaining "but the D was the problem!" Yes, it was a big problem in that game, but seriously. Steelers fans were calling for Todd Haley's neck for a long time, and when he finally is gone, they STILL complain? Seriously, wtf...

Also, Keith Butler is actually pretty decent as DC imo. Our defense was just playing injured. Shazier was gone and that hurt a lot (he and Joe Haden by themselves could practically shut the whole field down), and Tuitt, Burns, and Hargrave were all playing not long after getting hurt. They couldn't have been 100%. So while letting a bad offense like the Jags get 45 points was really dumb, it was at least a little understandable.

Tomlin is not a bad coach either imo. Not the greatest, I still say he seriously needs to work on his prepping skills and not look too far ahead to future games, especially ones that might not even happen, but that's his only real flaw as far as I can see. I also don't get why people are calling his onside kick decision stupid. I see trailing teams do that late in the game all the time. Sure, it doesn't work often, but it sometimes does. If he's an idiot for this call, then a lot of coaches are. Also, he didn't make Boswell screw it up. That's on Boswell.

EDIT: Oh, our WR coach is retiring too. Huh. Hope we get a guy as good as him! Hines Ward anyone? There's gotta be another reason besides drafting that we've had so many good WRs lately!

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, chococoke said:

I don't think the Jags have much of a chance in Foxboro this Sunday. If they stick to the same offensive gameplan they've used all season, they're going to find the sledding to be very tough. Fournette is the type of back that gets swallowed up by this Patriots front 7 (if you don't believe me, look at Henry's numbers from last week.) Part of that is because of James Harrison, who is an absolute beast playing against the run.

I think Jacksonville's only chance offensively is to mix in a ton of spread formations with quick passes, and to utilize Yeldon out of the backfield. Yeldon is a huge mismatch in the passing game against any linebacker on the Patriots.

Offensively, I think the Patriots will utilize their own running back's heavily in the passing game. That and a steady mix of Gronk/Amendola should probably be enough to win the game. Granted, if that Jacksonville defensive line can play out of their minds, this game could turn into a slugfest and come down to the wire

I pretty much agree with this. Offensively, we rely on running, setting up play action, and scrambling with Bortles. It's a pretty similar gameplan to the Titans (though with more flexibility and generally better execution). Our offensive line was crazy good last week though- if they can play like that again we'll score some points. 

Defensively, we've handled better receivers than Cooks and Amendola so I'm not too worried about that. Dion Lewis out of the backfield is a problem and I don't think even Ramsey can cover Gronk 1v1 so probably Jack with safety help or something. Jags defense was pretty average against RBs in the passing game/TEs overall. However, Brady has struggled before when the defensive line can create interior pressure while only rushing the front 4 (blitzes are ineffective). I think we're one of the few teams in the league that has the personnel to do this. 

Basically, both lines have to play well, no INTs for Bortles (10-0 when Bortles doesn't throw an INT, 2-6 when he does), and forcing some turnovers would help because that's how we get a lot of our points. I think this game ends up looking more like the Bills game than the Steelers game in terms of points, though the Patriots are going to get more than 3 so we have to start off hotter in the first half.

29 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

However, Brady has struggled before when the defensive line can create interior pressure while only rushing the front 4 (blitzes are ineffective).

This is key. I wouldn't be surprised if they just kinda bracketed Gronk instead of trying to cover him (look at the Ravens' coverage of Antonio Brown in the 2014-2015 playoffs to see what I mean) that way they send pressure to Brady and saw Gronk receptions as an inevitability that they hopefully won't get too much out of.

This is one of the few AFCCGs where I really just have no idea. I think the Patriots are the Patriots but the Jaguars are a good team with a really good defense. We've seen upstarts march into Foxborough before and land upsets against better Patriots teams.

Edited by Lord Raven

I don't know, Cynthia, even your guys had trouble with AB and Bell after a little while (when Bell was catching balls, not running). Dunno how they're going to handle Gronk and Hogan. I want the Jags to win, but still.

Edited by Anacybele

Those TDs weren't blown coverages or guys getting beat though- AB just made some ridiculous plays that would have been incomplete with the QBs/receivers of almost every other team. The Jags D also plays really far off the ball when we're 2+ scores up so I wouldn't expect to see that defensive spread against the Patriots unless that happens. More worried about getting dinked and dunked than their big play ability.

7 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

Those TDs weren't blown coverages or guys getting beat though- AB just made some ridiculous plays that would have been incomplete with the QBs/receivers of almost every other team. The Jags D also plays really far off the ball when we're 2+ scores up so I wouldn't expect to see that defensive spread against the Patriots unless that happens. More worried about getting dinked and dunked than their big play ability.

Yeah, that's what I mean, I can see Gronk or Chris Hogan making ridiculous plays too, since they're also really good. xP There's a reason Gronk is considered the best TE in the league.

AB did make some AWESOME plays though. There's a reason he's my favorite! I LOVE HIM! <3

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in the score of the Jaguars-Steelers game because the last 7 points were garbage time points, and three touchdowns we're ridiculously perfectly executed plays on third down on really tight coverage. Hogan and that receiver that used to be on the Saints (I don't remember his name, Brandon Cooks or something?) are way below Steelers receivers in effectiveness, as is Amendola who is a slot guy. They're pretty good but the drop off between the Steelers receiving corps and the Patriots is significantly enough that perfect plays like that may not be doable.

The only significant issue is Gronk and even that may not be the worst thing ever because it's not like Gronk will get 20 receptions and the other guys will be out to dry. Gronk is a matchup nightmare for everyone and the DC needs to be extremely clever against him because he may well be the greatest tight end of all time (whereas Brown and Bell have a ton of work to do to match their positional greats) and he can literally do anything that's asked of him.

Yeah, you might have a point. I recall the Seahawks almost getting creamed by us once because they focused too much on AB and that resulted in 200+ yards for Markus Wheaton. lol

And the Steelers named the QB coach Randy Fichtner the new OC. This is a guy Ben should obviously like and be getting along with, so this could work out really well! Now just solve the defensive issues and we should have a SB winning team! AB and Bell need their rings!

Edited by Anacybele

Chances Brady's jacked up hand causes problems for the Pats?

The Pats seem kind of hush-hush about the whole ordeal, which is causing me to raise my eyebrows a bit.

There's no way to really tell before the game, honestly. It's definitely worth speculating about though without question, given that the Patriots had to pull Brady from his media availability in order for him to see a doctor. It certainly doesn't hurt Jacksonville's chances, at the very least