New Interview with the Devs.

Truthblade

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-devs-chrom-was-made-first-lissa-lucina-frederick-robin-talk-much-more/

Another interview has hit! This one includes info on some of characters revealed so far. We also get to see their reactions to E3, and an explanation for why the twins use swords (they heard us).

Edited by Truthblade

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured the reason Frederick got an axe was there weren't enough axe wielders otherwise. I'd hoped they'd explain why he was left out of that last demo though. Oh well.

Interesting to know that Chrom was the first to be created and not the twins or Marth. Though it's not that surprising either since he was the first revealed character.

So the Saiyan Twins are swordies because ease of tutorial teaching? I understand the logic, even if I still disagree with the move.

A pullback from the Fates Weapon Triangle for Robin- fine by me.

Chrom was the first character made, and Lucina the basis of all who play similarly to another character. Lucina was originally up for not being included that would have been *shot and killed before I can finish my ambiguous statement.*

Coliseum Mode- sounds less fun than Adventure Mode in HW.

So originally there was no flash, but HW set expectations for flashiness, but things then got too flashy. Bouncing from one extreme to the next.

Personal relations to important characters matter for inclusion, might help predict the rest of the cast a little.

Silly Japanese hubbypon and wifeypon stuff said during the Treehouse demo showing by FE fans across Japan, well whatever floats your boat.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Silly Japanese hubbypon and wifeypon stuff said during the Treehouse demo showing by FE fans across Japan, well whatever floats your boat.

Oh yeah, this is really silly. They act like they're actually married to someone. It's like they don't realize these are fictional characters, not actual spouses. :/

There's a reason I always said "my Corrin married Silas" and "my Robin married Frederick" instead of "Silas is my husband in Fates" and "Frederick is my husband in Awakening." It feels dumb, silly, and like I'm too invested in fictional marriages to use the latter phrases.

This is just how I see it. Also, FE was never about "waifus" and "husbandos" either. Yes, FE4 introduced the marriage system originally, but there was no Avatar or anything in it and fans didn't term characters "waifus" and "husbandos." Awakening and Fates started that.

I just hope it doesn't go too far, or else I won't be interested in this series anymore. I hope FE Switch doesn't focus as much on marriage, if at all.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This is just how I see it. Also, FE was never about "waifus" and "husbandos" either. Yes, FE4 introduced the marriage system originally, but there was no Avatar or anything in it and fans didn't term characters "waifus" and "husbandos." Awakening and Fates started that.

I just hope it doesn't go too far, or else I won't be interested in this series anymore. I hope FE Switch doesn't focus as much on marriage, if at all.

They're working on it for AW. I'm too scared to be optimistic.

Besides, his conversations also have things like ‘definitely protecting Lord Chrom’ and ‘picking pebbles’, so due to those easily understandable traits, I had been sure to pick him from the beginning.

So, cliche = "Easily understandable"? Can we make this one a meme?

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

They're working on it for AW. I'm too scared to be optimistic.

Huh? What's "AW"? Also, I heard a lot of people didn't like how Fates implemented marriage, even the Japanese fans, so that's a sign we may not see it in the Switch game.

Also, where is anyone saying that anything is cliche here?

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Huh? What's "AW"? Also, I heard a lot of people didn't like how Fates implemented marriage, even the Japanese fans, so that's a sign we may not see it in the Switch game.

Also, where is anyone saying that anything is cliche here?

Advance Wars. They want to try and implement "relationships", which we're hoping the reactions to Fates and Echoes means they'll try normal Supports like an intelligent company.

Stating your Frederick is "easily understandable" because all he does is protect Chrom and pick up pebbles- and this is apparently A Good Thing. Colin was deeper than that.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Advance Wars. They want to try and implement "relationships", which we're hoping the reactions to Fates and Echoes means they'll try normal Supports like an intelligent company.

Stating your Frederick is "easily understandable" because all he does is protect Chrom and pick up pebbles- and this is apparently A Good Thing. Colin was deeper than that.

Huh, I wasn't aware that AW had characters to even make relationships between. I've seen some video and screenshots of the game, all the gameplay units look entirely generic...

They didn't say that that was all he did. And that's not all he does. So I'm still confused at what you're getting at. Also, some info from the articles posted earlier said there's some nods to Frederick's hatred of bear meat too. So protecting Chrom and picking up pebbles aren't the only traits of his that are being exhibited.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Huh, I wasn't aware that AW had characters to even make relationships between. I've seen some video and screenshots of the game, all the gameplay units look entirely generic...

They didn't say that that was all he did. And that's not all he does. So I'm still confused at what you're getting at. Also, some info from the articles posted earlier said there's some nods to Frederick's hatred of bear meat too. So protecting Chrom and picking up pebbles aren't the only traits of his that are being exhibited.

If you can see my signature, you'll see three Advance Wars characters. They have limited personalities due to limited dialogue, but the COs did have their charm and I'd love conversations between them that flesh them out. How is Andy actually good at battles? Why does Sami/Eagle have a crush on the other? Why does Colin want to join the army?

Oh, look, another incidental trait. I feel so encouraged. Sarcasm aside, I don't like how that statement I quoted in my original assertion (Besides, his conversations also have things like ‘definitely protecting Lord Chrom’ and ‘picking pebbles’, so due to those easily understandable traits, I had been sure to pick him from the beginning.) is worded. Do they think making a character just their incidental traits is better than giving them complexity and nuance?

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

If you can see my signature, you'll see three Advance Wars characters. They have limited personalities due to limited dialogue, but the COs did have their charm and I'd love conversations between them that flesh them out. How is Andy actually good at battles? Why does Sami/Eagle have a crush on the other? Why does Colin want to join the army?

Oh, look, another incidental trait. I feel so encouraged. Sarcasm aside, I don't like how that statement I quoted in my original assertion (Besides, his conversations also have things like ‘definitely protecting Lord Chrom’ and ‘picking pebbles’, so due to those easily understandable traits, I had been sure to pick him from the beginning.) is worded. Do they think making a character just their incidental traits is better than giving them complexity and nuance?

Oh, I would've never known that they were from Advance Wars. I see.

Oh, that's what you meant. I would hope that they don't think that, I'd rather have deep, well written characters than bare bones ones. But this is a Warriors game. HW didn't really make the characters real deep either. But I thought they and the story were okay for what they were. They weren't spectacular, but they didn't do anything plain stupid/offensive either.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I would've never known that they were from Advance Wars. I see.

Oh, that's what you meant. I would hope that they don't think that, I'd rather have deep, well written characters than bare bones ones. But this is a Warriors game. HW didn't really make the characters real deep either. But I thought they and the story were okay for what they were. They weren't spectacular, but they didn't do anything plain stupid/offensive either.

The first one has a power that allows him to use Galeforce on all of his units other than basic infantry. It's as fun to use as it sounds.

Admittedly, yes, but they still tried (Marin had a gentle, loving side in her intro and victory cutscene, but was violent in her dialogue). And it doesn't help that basically everything about this game, justified or not, has been presented in a completely tone-deaf manner doesn't exactly help.

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

The first one has a power that allows him to use Galeforce on all of his units other than basic infantry. It's as fun to use as it sounds.

Admittedly, yes, but they still tried (Marin had a gentle, loving side in her intro and victory cutscene, but was violent in her dialogue). And it doesn't help that basically everything about this game, justified or not, has been presented in a completely tone-deaf manner doesn't exactly help.

Heh, neat!

I see. But what do you mean "in a completely tone-deaf manner"?

Coliseum Mode gives me some trepidation. From what they've said it's basically just battling enemy commanders in a row, and they haven't announced any other side-modes besides it.

I'm hoping either there's more depth and variety to it than that, or that there's some other mode similar to Hyrule Warriors' Adventure Maps. I want this game to keep me occupied for a long, long time, and if it's just a story mode and a glorified boss rush mode it'd be pretty thin in content.

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

I'm hoping either there's more depth and variety to it than that, or that there's some other mode similar to Hyrule Warriors' Adventure Maps. I want this game to keep me occupied for a long, long time, and if it's just a story mode and a glorified boss rush mode it'd be pretty thin in content.

Same here. I would definitely hope there's some more content than that. The story and a boss rush mode won't be enough to keep me occupied either, even with Frederick there.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Heh, neat!

I see. But what do you mean "in a completely tone-deaf manner"?

"Our fanbase is in a huge rift between Classic and Modern." "Use only the Modern characters!"

"We're getting backlash. What do we say?" "If we used the Classics, we'd have too many swords!"

"But our original characters are using swords!" "Don't address it for a few months, it'll cool down."

"Let's introduce a character, but don't clear up whether she's a clone or an alt." "But clones don't work in DW..." "Cordelia!"

And then there was the husbando stuff at E3...

3 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

"Our fanbase is in a huge rift between Classic and Modern." "Use only the Modern characters!"

"We're getting backlash. What do we say?" "If we used the Classics, we'd have too many swords!"

"But our original characters are using swords!" "Don't address it for a few months, it'll cool down."

"Let's introduce a character, but don't clear up whether she's a clone or an alt." "But clones don't work in DW..." "Cordelia!"

And then there was the husbando stuff at E3...

The SD characters aren't modern and there's still a chance other older characters will be DLC. HW added more Zelda games that way.

They did eventually address the sword thing though. That's better than not knowing the reason at all.

Cordelia isn't a clone of anyone though.

The rest I'll give you. I don't think they've handled this game's info reveals as well as HW. I don't get why. FE may not be as big/popular as Zelda, but it still deserved better than what it's been getting. Seriously.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

The SD characters aren't modern.

They did eventually address the sword thing though. That's better than not knowing the reason at all.

Cordelia isn't a clone of anyone though.

The rest I'll give you. I don't think they've handled this game's info reveals as well as HW. I don't get why. FE may not be as big/popular as Zelda, but it still deserved better than what it's been getting. Seriously.

And we still only know Marth and can reasonably expect Tiki.

"Cordelia!" was the tone-deaf marketer trying to distract everyone from the fact F!Robin still exists and we still don't know what the deal with her is- and when there are a non-zero amount of options that just plain don't work, that's not something you can brush aside.

I think Hyrule Warriors also made the 'Crossover' thing known ahead of time. Memories to when we thought HW was Skyward Sword only...

"And since we also have the non-mounted and armored Knight that will use a spear, Great Knights shall end up appearing with an axe."

Hey that sounds like we're getting Armour Emblem! 
At least this is the first time I see armoured knights being mentioned in the context of FEW.

"And the rule of changing the stance for each character started with Lucina. When many characters appear, those in the same class will end up sharing some similar movements. But since we have decided to change Lucina’s standing loop animation, then we also have to definitely make it the same for all characters even if they share the same class." 

So I guess that opens the door to characters having the same class, as opposed to just excluding them. 
In addition, we now know that Lucina won't be the only one - and while I'm not entirely sure if this interview was done before F!Robin's reveal or not, my gut says there are more "class sharers" to be revealed. I personally hoped that would be the case (as in, characters wouldn't necessarily be excluded because they happen to have the same class as someone else), so that's good to hear.

Just now, Tactician_Iris said:

"And since we also have the non-mounted and armored Knight that will use a spear, Great Knights shall end up appearing with an axe."

Hey that sounds like we're getting Armour Emblem! 
At least this is the first time I see armoured knights being mentioned in the context of FEW.

We've actually seen generic enemy Knight captains at a few points in the demos and footage, so we already knew they were in in some capacity.

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

We've actually seen generic enemy Knight captains at a few points in the demos and footage, so we already knew they were in in some capacity.

Ah, true. I was more thinking of how we've heard of NPC Thieves and Knights but not heard of either in the context of being playable classes (which the quote suggests for Knights).
I forgot to add a "playable" in my post. My bad.

They not going to just make move sets similar if units have the same classes "aside from lord" are they? 

Even when this game was first brought up, I wondered about the variety of the move sets if it's just sword, axe, and spear.

No alternative weapon types confirmed. That's one mystery solved. They also confirm armor knights wielding spears will make an appearance when talking about Frederick's class, place those bets! Also, they say those 5 revealed characters at E3 is "about 20%" of the roster. So, around 25 characters then.

Also, they only explained that the twins should have the same weapon for the sake of the tutorial, but that doesn't tell us why that ideal weapon type ought to be the sword. Furthermore, why have the permanent choice of twin BEFORE the tutorial anyway? Wouldn't it be smarter to have that sort of choice after trying both of them out? The tutorial should include info on switching characters, so I assume both twins would have been on the field to demonstrate swapping for the sake of the tutorial. Come on, this is amateur game design they're talking about.

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Also, they only explained that the twins should have the same weapon for the sake of the tutorial, but that doesn't tell us why that ideal weapon type ought to be the sword. Furthermore, why have the permanent choice of twin BEFORE the tutorial anyway? Wouldn't it be smarter to have that sort of choice after trying both of them out? The tutorial should include info on switching characters, so I assume both twins would have been on the field to demonstrate swapping for the sake of the tutorial. Come on, this is amateur game design they're talking about.

So, what is this permanent choice in twin?