New Interview with the Devs.

Truthblade

1 hour ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

It was Chrom's time to shine. You get fairly salty whenever someone hints that they don't want to ride Lucina like you do.

I'm cool with her inclusion, but I didn't take anything negative from what Jedi said. It is a fact she was mandated in, for better or for worse. You should feel honored (As if Roy/Leif will be that lucky for me, or Ike for others), instead of being real pissy about it.

Well, that was inappropriate. The point is that he seems to think that Nintendo is treating KT poorly. They made a logical decision even from an objective standpoint. I will stand by that when Tharja gets in even though I despise her. 

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

They considered dropping a side character (she loses most of her relevance after the first act) because she was going to be just another sword user (which was alongside the 2nd gen excuse); the logic was pretty sound. 

These interviews point to IS strongarming a fair bit; when they literally say "we were going to go for characters with unique movesets but IS told us to focus on popularity polls instead", it's hard to give any sympathy.

Just because your favorite character nearly didn't make it in doesn't mean you have to act like this. Most people's favorite characters here were shot down early on; if Lucina didn't make it in, then welcome to the club.

The logic was hardly sound, and you could argue Chrom loses his importance in the third act, so... I was just using her as an example anyways. Nintendo and IS are trying to make sure they don't make the fans of the games they did choose angry. The fans are already ready to burn down their office. Besides, all the talk of Nintendo seems to be along the lines of "cool, but you may want to add some of these too."

18 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm only now appreaciating just how few characters up for debate there were in Hyrule Warriors. When debating Majora's Mask representatives, there were four characters, not several.

Also, yeah @Arthur97. You sound really selfish because your favourite made it while ours didn't- and don't think because that's been long established means that's no longer colouring our perspectives.

If you're going to be an editor, you need to at least give off an impression of unbias, but he's clearly against Nintendo for wanting to make sure their property is properly used.

Yes, yes, you may all just think I'm a raving fanboy (I use the only known example and you all assume it's because of who it is), but the point is, Nintendo isn't strong arming anyone. They're letting KT work with these characters. They're just making sure it's done to their liking.

Edited by Arthur97

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

If you're going to be an editor, you need to at least give off an impression of unbias, but he's clearly against Nintendo for wanting to make sure their property is properly used.

...Hm? I don't understand this passage at all, but the bolded part is the most confusing.

4 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

...Hm? I don't understand this passage at all, but the bolded part is the most confusing.

That was in reference to Jedi. He's been against Nintendo "strongarming" them from the beginning never mind who owns all this stuff, not to mention, bias should have no place in an editor's work. We all have it, it's inevitable, but it should be minimized if you're going to play at being professional.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

That was in reference to Jedi. He's been against Nintendo "strongarming" them from the beginning never mind who owns all this stuff, not to mention, bias should have no place in an editor's work. We all have it, it's inevitable, but it should be minimized if you're going to play at being professional.

So he's not allowed to have any personal preferences? As long as the news reported isn't dramatically coloured, why can't he come onto the forums and voice the fact he doesn't like the director's idea.

Just because Nintendo owns the IP doesn't mean their ideas are the best ones for avoiding the negative fan reaction. You know, like they're normally good at that.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

If you're going to be an editor, you need to at least give off an impression of unbias, 

While you're not wrong about this, its not like said "bias" seeps into his published articles. Here on the forums, Jedi is merely stating his own informed opinions for having extensive knowledge on the Warriors series and their developers. Heck, I'm pretty certain that's one of the reasons he became part of the staff anyway. Editor or not, it'd be an injustice if he couldn't give his own personal opinion in a place where practically ever user does the same, whether informed or not.

EDIT: apparently beaten to this point

The logic was hardly sound, and you could argue Chrom loses his importance in the third act, so... I was just using her as an example anyways. Nintendo and IS are trying to make sure they don't make the fans of the games they did choose angry. The fans are already ready to burn down their office. Besides, all the talk of Nintendo seems to be along the lines of "cool, but you may want to add some of these too."

Perhaps strong arming might be the wrong choice of words for this, but with every time that you mention this, it almost comes off as you doing the same, but on the side of Nintendo/IS. They're the ones asking KT to make a Warriors game out of FE. With some of the things that Nintendo wants that alter their original plan, an opinion can be made that they're making KT's job harder to do. Basically, yes, it is indeed Nintendo's property, but at the same time, what needs to be understood is that this is under KT's formula. As such, KT should be allowed to work with and adjust their formula however way that they deem necessary, instead of having to go through so many loops to make an exception to their own rule.

Of course, there should always be some form of compromise between both what Nintendo wants and what KT believes to work, but where does one draw the line? We don't know, and as such, from KT's pov, the consideration for not including her was sound. Whether or not their newfound rule for allowing something they were on the fence about was is another story, considering how we don't yet know who else was potentially affected by this.

The point is that he seems to think that Nintendo is treating KT poorly. They made a logical decision even from an objective standpoint. I will stand by that when Tharja gets in even though I despise her. 

The thing is about this example, Tharja doesn't fall into the same predicament (or rather, not as heavily, if it can even be considered heavy), considering how she's one of 5 dark mages within the chosen games, while Lucina is one of how many sword fighters, despite both characters being immensely popular. Granted, given this new criteria that they came up with, along with how they're going about the game's story, both overall and from each game, I will admit that it would be strange if she didn't appear, considering how early she appears (as "Marth", but it still applies), it again goes back to where the line is drawn

Edited by Motendra

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

So he's not allowed to have any personal preferences? As long as the news reported isn't dramatically coloured, why can't he come onto the forums and voice the fact he doesn't like the director's idea.

Just because Nintendo owns the IP doesn't mean their ideas are the best ones for avoiding the negative fan reaction. You know, like they're normally good at that.

Fair enough I went too far, but saying they strongarm them and such is just inflammatory and from what we know, inaccurate.

Yes, because leaving out the most popular character in the selected games would not have led to negative reactions. There are some compromises that just have to be made. Also, which side made the too many sword users comment (seriously, I don't know)?

2 hours ago, Motendra said:

While you're not wrong about this, its not like said "bias" seeps into his published articles. Here on the forums, Jedi is merely stating his own informed opinions for having extensive knowledge on the Warriors series and their developers. Heck, I'm pretty certain that's one of the reasons he became part of the staff anyway. Editor or not, it'd be an injustice if he couldn't give his own personal opinion in a place where practically ever user does the same, whether informed or not.

Perhaps strong arming might be the wrong choice of words for this, but with every time that you mention this, it almost comes off as you doing the same, but on the side of Nintendo/IS. They're the ones asking KT to make a Warriors game out of FE. With some of the things that Nintendo wants that alter their original plan, an opinion can be made that they're making KT's job harder to do. Basically, yes, it is indeed Nintendo's property, but at the same time, what needs to be understood is that this is under KT's formula. As such, KT should be allowed to work with and adjust their formula however way that they deem necessary, instead of having to go through so many loops to make an exception to their own rule.

Of course, there should always be some form of compromise between both what Nintendo wants and what KT believes to work, but where does one draw the line? We don't know, and as such, from KT's pov, the consideration for not including her was sound. Whether or not their newfound rule for allowing something they were on the fence about was is another story, considering how we don't yet know who else was potentially affected by this.

The thing is about this example, Tharja doesn't fall into the same predicament (or rather, not as heavily, if it can even be considered heavy), considering how she's one of 5 dark mages within the chosen games, while Lucina is one of how many sword fighters, despite both characters being immensely popular. Granted, given this new criteria that they came up with, along with how they're going about the game's story, both overall and from each game, I will admit that it would be strange if she didn't appear, considering how early she appears (as "Marth", but it still applies), it again goes back to where the line is drawn

I honestly don't think their's bad blood between KT and Nintendo over any of this. They seem fine with the input and sometimes even appreciative. When you have that many characters to sort through, a little direction can be nice. It's some fans that seem to think they're being mistreated. 

As for the Tharja vs. Lucina thing, Lucina also has main character status despite what some may say (she's almost as prominent on the box art as Chrom is, appeared more than a side character, appeared in more movies than anyone but Chrom, and is completely mandatory unlike even some first gen units...like Tharja...). Again, people just assume I'm a raving Lucina fanboy (to the point I removed my profile picture because of it), but I honestly think that it was an objectively good call on Nintendo's part to insist on her inclusion. She's undeniably popular (except on this forum it would seem) and therefore a character you want on the roster; you can appease a lot of fans with just one character there which is nice. There has to be balance between unique and notable. Will their other calls be as clear cut, I don't know, but we will have to wait and see. For now, knowing what we do, there is little reason to believe that Nintendo has done anything except keep them from making an obvious mistake. 

Edited by Arthur97

Man if Lucy didn't get in I would've been piss to no ends! I'm still irritated that she's play like Chrom & the explanation only annoyed me more but at least I have an answer now.

12 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

You still seem a little salty about that for some reason even though they clearly needed some help with that seeing as they considered dropping a main character for stupid reasons. You always just seem to phrase it in a negative way.

I mean, If you want to read it that way sure, but it is what it is. 

I don't think I need you telling me how to do my job either considering I haven't said anything negative towards Nintendo or IS in any of my articles.

Edited by Jedi

5 hours ago, Jedi said:

I mean, If you want to read it that way sure, but it is what it is. 

I don't think I need you telling me how to do my job either considering I haven't said anything negative towards Nintendo or IS in any of my articles.

Fair, I was out of line on that one. My apologies.

I still think treating Nintendo as the bad guys is out of line as they just seem to be doing damage control. To my knowledge, they never picked the focus games, but they're trying to make sure what they have works. Of course, not everyone will be happy, but they're trying. They know Fire Emblem, they made it after all and it's a lot easier to mess up than Zelda so a little more feedback is to be expected.

Will this change anyone's mind, probably not, but I would at least like people to realize that I was not arguing for Lucina, I was using Lucina to argue for Nintendo. That point seemed to have been lost that the subject was Nintendo and Lucina is currently the only specific example we have of them requesting something.

Though Lucina isn't the only character I defend, she just seems to come up more than the others.

In any case, I'm done here. 

On 8/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Jedi said:

I honestly have changed my mind on Hinoka, Sakura & Elise being possibly disregarded. Considering 3 things

A. While less popular than the other nobles they still scored really high 
B. Nintendo & IS's mandates 
C. Their focus on character relationships with each other.

Hmm, I'm pretty late on responding to this but may I ask why the 3 royal girls seem less popular than the others? Sakura I can understand as she really did get last place out of all of the royals but Elise was 4th, beating out M!Corrin, Ryoma, Azura, Hinoka and Sakura (so Elise was in the middle of all of the royals in terms of popularity) and Hinoka was 6th, right behind Azura and tying with Ryoma. All three did really good, even compared to the other royals. Shoot, the only people who actually beat a royal are Oboro (who beat all of them bar Xander, Leo, F!Corrin and Camilla and she tied with Takumi), and Jakob (who beat M!Corrin, Ryoma, Azura, Hinoka, Sakura and tied with Elise). Niles got close (tied with Sakura). I'm just really confused as to why people never really noticed their popularity :lol:

1 hour ago, Pokechu said:

Hmm, I'm pretty late on responding to this but may I ask why the 3 royal girls seem less popular than the others? Sakura I can understand as she really did get last place out of all of the royals but Elise was 4th, beating out M!Corrin, Ryoma, Azura, Hinoka and Sakura (so Elise was in the middle of all of the royals in terms of popularity) and Hinoka was 6th, right behind Azura and tying with Ryoma. All three did really good, even compared to the other royals. Shoot, the only people who actually beat a royal are Oboro (who beat all of them bar Xander, Leo, F!Corrin and Camilla and she tied with Takumi), and Jakob (who beat M!Corrin, Ryoma, Azura, Hinoka, Sakura and tied with Elise). Niles got close (tied with Sakura). I'm just really confused as to why people never really noticed their popularity :lol:

Leo's already a mounted mage, taking Elise's niche; Hinoka is a bog-standard PK, a niche Cordelia already fulfills; honestly, Sakura seems like the most unique due to being a healer/archer (or hopefully healer/scrolls).

That's just my thoughts on their situation, though.

Just now, The DanMan said:

Leo's already a mounted mage, taking Elise's niche; Hinoka is a bog-standard PK, a niche Cordelia already fulfills; honestly, Sakura seems like the most unique due to being a healer/archer (or hopefully healer/scrolls).

That's just my thoughts on their situation, though.

i'm sorry for this long post, I have a lot of bias towards the three girls but no one ever really discusses their potential in Warriors

That's true, but we have many swordsmen already and we don't know the final roster. And I don't think Leo and Elise share the same niche; Leo has his own tome and uses dark magic. While they're both mounted, they'd play very differently, similar to how Chrom and Marth, despite them both using Falchion, seem to be different. Examples would be this; Leo can summon trees with Brynhildr. Elise cannot summon trees and would have to rely on Wind, Fire and Thunder magic. Leo has access to Nosferatu, which can restore his health. Elise does not have access. Dark magic and fire/wind/thunder magic have the potential to be completely different. Not to mention how Leo has sword access and Elise is a cleric. I don't think the two would be stepping over each other in terms of niche. I think it was said Lissa uses thunder from her staff as an attack, so I wouldn't be surprised if Elise pulls out her staff to freeze an enemy, allowing her to get more hits in. Plus, everyone's still betting on Caeda and we already have Cordelia, so if we can have 2 pegaponies I don't see why we can't have 2 mounted mages.

You have me on Hinoka though, as she and Cords are both lance pegaponies, but I don't think seeing two lance pegaponies would be out of the question, as there's many kinds of lances they could use. Hinoka could use a naginata and play similarly to Impa from HW, being stronger but slower compared to Cordelia. I think it was confirmed characters of the same class would play similarly so Hinoka and Cords (if the former is in) would likely have the same moveset save for specials. Though I never saw much discussion about Hinoka, even before Cords was confirmed. Probably just me though.

Sakura imo would be really fun to play and she doesn't really have overlap with anyone (save Takumi but he has his own weapon and she's a cleric). Could I ask why you'd prefer her to use scrolls? It'd be wicked cool to have her use them now that I think about it actually.

1 hour ago, Pokechu said:

i'm sorry for this long post, I have a lot of bias towards the three girls but no one ever really discusses their potential in Warriors

That's true, but we have many swordsmen already and we don't know the final roster. And I don't think Leo and Elise share the same niche; Leo has his own tome and uses dark magic. While they're both mounted, they'd play very differently, similar to how Chrom and Marth, despite them both using Falchion, seem to be different. Examples would be this; Leo can summon trees with Brynhildr. Elise cannot summon trees and would have to rely on Wind, Fire and Thunder magic. Leo has access to Nosferatu, which can restore his health. Elise does not have access. Dark magic and fire/wind/thunder magic have the potential to be completely different. Not to mention how Leo has sword access and Elise is a cleric. I don't think the two would be stepping over each other in terms of niche. I think it was said Lissa uses thunder from her staff as an attack, so I wouldn't be surprised if Elise pulls out her staff to freeze an enemy, allowing her to get more hits in. Plus, everyone's still betting on Caeda and we already have Cordelia, so if we can have 2 pegaponies I don't see why we can't have 2 mounted mages.

You have me on Hinoka though, as she and Cords are both lance pegaponies, but I don't think seeing two lance pegaponies would be out of the question, as there's many kinds of lances they could use. Hinoka could use a naginata and play similarly to Impa from HW, being stronger but slower compared to Cordelia. I think it was confirmed characters of the same class would play similarly so Hinoka and Cords (if the former is in) would likely have the same moveset save for specials. Though I never saw much discussion about Hinoka, even before Cords was confirmed. Probably just me though.

Sakura imo would be really fun to play and she doesn't really have overlap with anyone (save Takumi but he has his own weapon and she's a cleric). Could I ask why you'd prefer her to use scrolls? It'd be wicked cool to have her use them now that I think about it actually.

I'm the last person who you need to apologize too about long posts; here and elsewhere I generally have a lot to say and end up condensing things.

Robin has sword access in Awakening, but that was eschewed entirely in FEW; the same will likely happen with Leo. Robin's also got anima magic locked down pretty securely; having another "archmage" character in Elise would be a bit redundant (though I could see the case for giving her light magic for the sake of uniqueness).

The naginata justification kinda doesn't work, due to there only being swords/axes/lances. That said, if Hinoka is in she'd likely be a semi-clone with those differences (which I could see being done to pad out the lance roster; same deal with Draug and whatever other armor knight they go with).

Scrolls are basically animal summons; that right explains my reasoning. Robin's got anima, Leo's got ...Brynhildr (gravity/trees/dark), and Tharja is likely pure dark magic. Having a summoner-esque character would be incredibly unique.

41 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I'm the last person who you need to apologize too about long posts; here and elsewhere I generally have a lot to say and end up condensing things.

Robin has sword access in Awakening, but that was eschewed entirely in FEW; the same will likely happen with Leo. Robin's also got anima magic locked down pretty securely; having another "archmage" character in Elise would be a bit redundant (though I could see the case for giving her light magic for the sake of uniqueness).

The naginata justification kinda doesn't work, due to there only being swords/axes/lances. That said, if Hinoka is in she'd likely be a semi-clone with those differences (which I could see being done to pad out the lance roster; same deal with Draug and whatever other armor knight they go with).

Scrolls are basically animal summons; that right explains my reasoning. Robin's got anima, Leo's got ...Brynhildr (gravity/trees/dark), and Tharja is likely pure dark magic. Having a summoner-esque character would be incredibly unique.

I actually think the main draw of the mages will be that they can apply several elemental effects with their moveset through different elemental spells, in addition to hitting Resistance, so I don't think Tome users in this game will be stuck to only one type of magic in their movesets.

As for Elise, she's our main rep for Troubadours/Valkyrie-type units, the mounted healer, which could stand in contrast to the mounted Dark Knight as a more supportive caster.

A little late to the party, but...

Honestly, I'm fine with the twins both using swords. People get salty over it, yet we don't know what will happen to them later on. Will they get promotions and change their weapons? Who knows.

Their reasoning for almost cutting Lucina is sound, but I'm glad they didn't as it would've pissed a lot of people off.

I can see the roster being 35, which is great. 40 would be wonderful though. In all honesty, as long as Xane and a couple of my other favourite Archanean characters get in, I'm happy. If they don't, that's fine as I'll still buy the game. Shocking, I know.

34 minutes ago, Lautsuu said:

A little late to the party, but...

Honestly, I'm fine with the twins both using swords. People get salty over it, yet we don't know what will happen to them later on. Will they get promotions and change their weapons? Who knows.

Their reasoning for almost cutting Lucina is sound, but I'm glad they didn't as it would've pissed a lot of people off.

I can see the roster being 35, which is great. 40 would be wonderful though. In all honesty, as long as Xane and a couple of my other favourite Archanean characters get in, I'm happy. If they don't, that's fine as I'll still buy the game. Shocking, I know.

I always thought that the typical 'too many swords' complaints was annoying. But I find that everyone is mostly annoyed by the hypocrisy of rejecting everything not archanea, fates or awakening and saying it's because the game would have had too many swords and immediately after adding two sword using OCs, excusing it with 'because tutorials'.

I admit Xane would be interesting, but I feel like he may be a bit niche, but then again that may be what he needs to be added to the game, so I guess that I wouldn't be surprised either way for that one.

17 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I always thought that the typical 'too many swords' complaints was annoying. But I find that everyone is mostly annoyed by the hypocrisy of rejecting everything not archanea, fates or awakening and saying it's because the game would have had too many swords and immediately after adding two sword using OCs, excusing it with 'because tutorials'.

I admit Xane would be interesting, but I feel like he may be a bit niche, but then again that may be what he needs to be added to the game, so I guess that I wouldn't be surprised either way for that one.

I understand that, but what gets me is that it's those same people who are like, "why did you give the twins swords then that's too many!" or "why no Tellius or Elibe or whatever", and then they begin to ask for Ike, Roy, Lyn, etc. They have swords too. It's hypocrisy on both sides.

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes too high for Xane, but I believe...if I spread my love for Xane, there may be a chance.

Also, your signature...there's no shame in liking Micaiah, I like Micaiah too.

1 hour ago, Lautsuu said:

I understand that, but what gets me is that it's those same people who are like, "why did you give the twins swords then that's too many!" or "why no Tellius or Elibe or whatever", and then they begin to ask for Ike, Roy, Lyn, etc. They have swords too. It's hypocrisy on both sides.

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes too high for Xane, but I believe...if I spread my love for Xane, there may be a chance.

Also, your signature...there's no shame in liking Micaiah, I like Micaiah too.

I don't see it as hypocrisy because the twins having sword was never the issue in and of itself. The problem was that very popular and prominent characters along with their entire continents were dismissed because they wielded swords but that such a thing apparently wasn't a very big concern when coming up with their own OC's. 

I don't think a lot of things the devs say are wrong per se but the timing and the way they phrase it is all so very clumsy. ''To many swords'' rightfully became a meme because they used it to justify the highly controversial decision of denying a good chunk of the fandom representation while using their first gameplay footage to show off all the kinds of different sword users they had. 

On its own it actually makes sense to start with Marth, Chrom and the royals because they are the main characters and no one should be surprised the Oc's lords carry swords. But PR statements don't stand on their own. They showed all those sword using main characters not to long after telling large chunks of the fanbase they would be getting ignored because ''to many swords''. As a result its only natural for ''to many swords'' being mocked and scorned because its completely tone death. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't see it as hypocrisy because the twins having sword was never the issue in and of itself. The problem was that very popular and prominent characters along with their entire continents were dismissed because they wielded swords but that such a thing apparently wasn't a very big concern when coming up with their own OC's. 

I don't think a lot of things the devs say are wrong per se but the timing and the way they phrase it is all so very clumsy. ''To many swords'' rightfully became a meme because they used it to justify the highly controversial decision of denying a good chunk of the fandom representation while using their first gameplay footage to show off all the kinds of different sword users they had. 

On its own it actually makes sense to start with Marth, Chrom and the royals because they are the main characters and no one should be surprised the Oc's lords carry swords. But PR statements don't stand on their own. They showed all those sword using main characters not to long after telling large chunks of the fanbase they would be getting ignored because ''to many swords''. As a result its only natural for ''to many swords'' being mocked and scorned because its completely tone death. 

I think all of that was a product of unfortunate timing. I think if they said that same exact line, too many swords, and had revealed a few characters using different types of weapons, then the reaction would of been different. It was a product of unfortunate timing, and I think the FE community really jumped the gun, and in some ways also shot the messenger. People really got pissed over all of that, and it was in a way ridiculous. I guarantee if the same statement was made, and the cast was revealed with Ike, Roy, and Seliph taking center stage, everyone would of been cheering and saying best cross over of all time. Even though all three of them are also using swords.

I completely understand why people are upset. I personally would of loved for Tellius to be in, and thought it was early on when everyone was speculating about the game. But at the same time everyone wanted everything to be thrown in at once, and should of known that it wasnt feasible, especially not for a first entry. I think Koei made a good choice. It was the safest bet to go with for a first game, appealing to both old fans and new with the very first FE game, and the two latest baring Echoes.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:49 PM, The DanMan said:

Sorry for responding so late, I just realized you responded omg :lol:

Robin is primarily a tome user, but he does pull out a Levin Sword for his special in this game. It's almost guaranteed Leo's attacks all use Brynhildr but I don't think it would be shocking for him to start or end one combo with a sword, you know? And Robin does have anima magic so Elise would be similar to him, but I think that because she's mounted and has no dark magic access, and has staff access, that she'd still be pretty different.. Plus, Robin has multiple dark magic spells iirc and a lot of people still think Tharja is very likely. And Chrom and Marth have Falchion and they're both unique.

I thought a naginata was a kind of lance? I may be wrong but I could swear it was. It would be a bit strange though for Hinoka to use a naginata while the other lancers use normal lances, so you have me there. I don't think it'd be that big of a deal though bc IIRC Fates included naginatas under lances so I don't see why they couldn't do it here. I wouldn't be opposed to her being a clone at all though, it actually makes a lot of sense. They are both lance pegaponies, and I think they could make her different enough to be on par with Lucina, maybe more unique, if they made 4 different foot sword users (Chrom, one twin, Ryoma, and Marth. Excluding Xander bc he's mounted, Corrin bc dragon, and the 2nd twin and Lucy because they play similarly to another character).

It'd be very interesting for Sakura to use scrolls though. Lissa ends a combo with thunder from her staff so now I'm hoping that if Sakura's a bow user, she still ends a few combos with scrolls. They would be so visually entertaining!

Edited by Pokechu

32 minutes ago, Pokechu said:

I thought a naginata was a kind of lance?

They're considered under the same classification because they're both polearms.  A naginata's more like a katana attached at the end of a pole than a lance, which has a design more focused on stabbing than slashing.  If there are differences between Hinoka and Cordelia, it'd be in how they use their weaponry; Cordelia, I'd imagine, would have a greater focus on stabbing while Hinoka would probably be more about sweeping attacks.

This difference would also give them more of an excuse to put in Hinokacopter.

9 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

They're considered under the same classification because they're both polearms.  A naginata's more like a katana attached at the end of a pole than a lance, which has a design more focused on stabbing than slashing.  If there are differences between Hinoka and Cordelia, it'd be in how they use their weaponry; Cordelia, I'd imagine, would have a greater focus on stabbing while Hinoka would probably be more about sweeping attacks.

This difference would also give them more of an excuse to put in Hinokacopter.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm weapon expert but I don't why I should just classified a naginata in the spear/range category.

I do like my HInokacopters though.

9 hours ago, Pokechu said:

Sorry for responding so late, I just realized you responded omg :lol:

Robin is primarily a tome user, but he does pull out a Levin Sword for his special in this game. It's almost guaranteed Leo's attacks all use Brynhildr but I don't think it would be shocking for him to start or end one combo with a sword, you know? And Robin does have anima magic so Elise would be similar to him, but I think that because she's mounted and has no dark magic access, and has staff access, that she'd still be pretty different.. Plus, Robin has multiple dark magic spells iirc and a lot of people still think Tharja is very likely. And Chrom and Marth have Falchion and they're both unique.

I thought a naginata was a kind of lance? I may be wrong but I could swear it was. It would be a bit strange though for Hinoka to use a naginata while the other lancers use normal lances, so you have me there. I don't think it'd be that big of a deal though bc IIRC Fates included naginatas under lances so I don't see why they couldn't do it here. I wouldn't be opposed to her being a clone at all though, it actually makes a lot of sense. They are both lance pegaponies, and I think they could make her different enough to be on par with Lucina, maybe more unique, if they made 4 different foot sword users (Chrom, one twin, Ryoma, and Marth. Excluding Xander bc he's mounted, Corrin bc dragon, and the 2nd twin and Lucy because they play similarly to another character).

More likely, the mages that get in will probably use different elements according to the game of their origin, but their moveset will be tailored to favor one element over the others (or maybe use all of them equally), depending on the character. Robin uses Thunder spells over every other element from Awakening, that much is clear. Leo would probably mix Brynhildr into many moves of his moveset. Elise can already offer a niché in healing from atop a horse in addition to using a spell/element that's different from Leo.

Am I basing that by how Robin uses multiple elements in his moveset? Oh yes.

Like Ertrick said, Naginatas and Lances both go under polearms and it's oriental origins helped make it the Lance counterpart for the Hoshido side, but Naginatas themselves are fundamentally different in use than spears and lances since it's more of a weapon designed for slashing than stabbing. They can include it under Lances for WT reasons, but moveset-wise, they can produce very different results.

27 minutes ago, Escalario said:

Give me Hinoka with Guan Yu's moveset :3

Yes I know he uses a guan dao, not a naginata, but they're close enough :p

Which Guan Yu moveset :P 

One with self buffs or 5 and pre 5