How have your opinions on SoV changed?

This game has been out for a while now, so I'm curious as to how peoples' opinions of the game have changed from their initial thoughts. This can include any aspect of the game that you have changed your mind about.

For me, my opinion of Celica has improved after analysis whereas my opinions of Alm and Conrad have gotten worse. Also, I didn't find the poison swamps in Act 4 to be that bad the second time I played through the game. I at first thought they were very tedious, but they weren't that time-consuming once I knew how to deal with them. Finally, I found 

Spoiler

Mycen to be a pretty good unit in my second playthrough. I dismissed him during my first run as a poor unit who didn't have a place on my team in the final dungeon, but I ended up using him the second time around. It was a Blitzkrieg run, so I decided to kill Zeke instead of going to Nuibaba's Abode to save on turn counts. Most of my units on Alm's side were woefully underleveled by the time I reached Act 5, so I decided to use Mycen. To my surprise, he was a solid unit who made very good contributions. He may be worse than Zeke and Mathilda, but his bases are strong enough for Act 5 if you need another Gold Knight.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinions haven't changed much from when I first played the game. I loved this game from the first minute all the way until the end and I still do.
The only thing that has changed is my opinion on what class suits what Villager best after trying out different combinations and I would rate some units differently after training multiple units and experimenting with them for a bit. To elaborate: Atlas went from superflous to good when I decided to make him an Archer or Cavalier instead of a Mercenary. Palla and Catria, while I still enjoy their personalities, I actually like less as units now since after repeated playthroughs, I found them to be incredibly weak overall, even with the bonus damage against Terrors, their damage was... not that great. Palla especially suffers from a glaring Speed issue, while Catria hits like a wet paper bag. Also Emma exists, so... there's that.

But other than that, my opinion that it is the best Fire Emblem game with the best story in any Fire Emblem game to date hasn't changed a bit, although I would dock off some points for less replayability due to you being able to field everyone in every map outside of dungeons.

My opinions in regards to the writing worsened after discussing it with people who brought up issues I hadn't even thought of earlier, though I didn't hold it in high regard before that mostly due to Alm, Celica and the villains. 

Gameplay-wise my opinions remain the same. It's archaic and clumsy, but there are many good elements that I'd like to see in future titles, like arts and villages.

Edit: I watched the Rise of the Deliverance DLC on YouTube, and it was stellar. It had no reason not being in the base product somehow, but episode one and especially two and four were great, and I definitely want that kind of quality in the future - the supports were much better than the overwhelming majority in the base game as well. Shoddy business practices, but I can forgive that if this is the level of writing in FE Switch.

Edited by Thane

My opinion of SoV has only risen since I first played it. Having taken a deeper look at the story, my opinion of it has improved more than it had at first, and having finally watched the Rise of the Deliverance DLC I can say that it's fantastic too. The only thing my opinion hasn't changed on is some of the gameplay elements that were retained from Gaiden, but I think that's a given.

All the latest games will have honeymoon periods to some degree, but I have found that it seems generally to be less of a drop in opinion that I noticed from people than after release with Awakening and Fates, perhaps because of expectations.

My opinion on this game has pretty much remained the same as when it first came out. It is my favorite Fire Emblem right now. In addition, Alm is my favorite Lord in the series. I also think this game has the best OST in the entire Fire Emblem series.

It's remained fairly the same, stellar voice direction, characters, and how it feels more like an RPG with FE elements keeps me coming back and, honestly I feel it stands out in terms of FE in a very good way.

About the same. enjoyable new mechanics, enjoyable characters, a story with issues I can forgive because everything is graded on the curve of "its not conquest", stellar music & voice acting, maps i hate with all my being and bad decisions on what old mecahncis to keep around.

I felt mostly the same, the presentation was impressive with voice acting. But I feelings on the game get worse as a game goes go. Now, I can forgive I game with a bad story, but I cannot forgive a game with bad game play. After all what am I doing majority of the time. The problems start to come out on Celica's  part, during the swamp, where units can barly move; getting damaged every turn,needing to cast invoke on every turn to stop the dread fighters from tearing up my mages. In Duma's tower  every fight had the same enemy placement, and it went the same way. The final boss I felt was most of the problems in the same in one level. Summoning spam, needing only one point to double, upheaval, the stupid poison  water, needing invoke to survive,dread fighters,. My biggest problem is that IS was too faithful to the original game. But the game still have its merits, which I have said earlier today.

3 hours ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I liked 2/5 portions of this game; the more I think about the gameplay elements the more I dislike the game, to the point that I hope any new game from here on out is nothing like Gaiden/Echoes. 

They didn't really reuse a lot of Gaiden the first time, so I hope the same is true with Echoes. Give me back tomes and the weapon triangle for the future please. More than one inventory slot would be nice too.

However, I just got the game recently, so my opinion probably hasn't shifted too much, and it's probably my second favorite in the series, but it may have fallen a little since I beat it.

9 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Palla and Catria, while I still enjoy their personalities, I actually like less as units now since after repeated playthroughs, I found them to be incredibly weak overall,

This happened to me too. They can pull their own weight against the Terrors in Act 4, but they can't do much else. I tried using Catria in Thabes, and she didn't have enough attack power or bulk to do anything. It's made me wonder if the Whitewings would be useful at all if they were on Alm's route where there aren't as many Terrors. It's too bad though because I really liked Palla and Catria as characters.

Here's another one I just thought of: I used to think the SoV version of The Ark of Dawn was worse than the Gaiden version. I still thought it was really good, but for some reason I preferred the Gaiden one. However, the track has grown on me lately, and it's now my favorite track in the game and one of my favorites in the series.

Game hasn't been out that long yet so my opinions haven't had much time to change. Biggest changes are that I was initially a bit put off by some of the clunky gameplay choices and I've softened those stances somewhat (dungeons aren't as bad as I thought at first, though I'll never be a fan).

Plot... ever since I get to the lategame triple-whammy of Celica's Act 4 behaviour, Rudolf's "plan", and the Berkut/Rinea nonsense in the final dungeon, Echoes has fallen squarely to "utterly devoid of worth" for plot and has never recovered in my eyes (and I say this as someone who sees some good in Awakening and Fates plot despite their missteps); in fact, watching some of those scenes a second time only makes them worse. I still enjoy much of the playable cast, though.

6 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Game hasn't been out that long yet so my opinions haven't had much time to change. Biggest changes are that I was initially a bit put off by some of the clunky gameplay choices and I've softened those stances somewhat (dungeons aren't as bad as I thought at first, though I'll never be a fan).

Plot... ever since I get to the lategame triple-whammy of Celica's Act 4 behaviour, Rudolf's "plan", and the Berkut/Rinea nonsense in the final dungeon, Echoes has fallen squarely to "utterly devoid of worth" for plot and has never recovered in my eyes (and I say this as someone who sees some good in Awakening and Fates plot despite their missteps); in fact, watching some of those scenes a second time only makes them worse. I still enjoy much of the playable cast, though.

Rudolf & Celica's plans are amazingly, ultra flawed (rudolf's could have failed at so many different points, Celica's could barely be considered,etc) but nothing echoes does will stand to "Let's lead a terrible, bloody war so we can put the evil man on a magic chair to reveal he's an evil slime man"

Echoes has "Let's lead a terrible, bloody war so that my secret son can become a great leader by opposing me". That's even more nonsensical than what Fates did in my opinion; I think some people are more forgiving since it's a villain who does it, granted (I'm not especially inclined to).

That said I see little to be gained in debating over which of each game's low points writing-wise is worse.

11 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Echoes has "Let's lead a terrible, bloody war so that my secret son can become a great leader by opposing me". That's even more nonsensical than what Fates did in my opinion; I think some people are more forgiving since it's a villain who does it, granted (I'm not especially inclined to).

That said I see little to be gained in debating over which of each game's low points writing-wise is worse.

With Rudolf I tend to accept his flaws out of an understanding that he's a NES villain. Its unfortunate they didn't try harder but they didn't have that much to work with either. I also think that one little thing that makes Rudolf seem less mad is that Rigel really doesn't seem that bad as far as enemy nations go. Most evil acts are committed by Desaix and Co and with most of the Rigelian generals not having any lines they don't really come off as very evil. Weirdly enough the only civilians we know fore sure to be terrorized by the Rigelians are not the Zophians but the Rigalian citizens themselves. 

SoV is my absolute favorite FE game and has been from the first few hours of my first playthrough. During my second and third playthrough, however, I have started to become less and less fond of the story and certain events in Act 4 and 5. Nowhere near as bad as Fates though and I still hold the story in high regards compared to other games.

I also have to agree with opinions on Palla and Catria. They have always turned out rather mediocre for me so whenever I see them at the top of SoV tier lists I'm always like hmmm.

My opinions have either stayed the same or generally rose for most elements of the game. Only element where my opinion has somewhat declined is the dungeon crawling and that's only because you can't immediately run away / retreat from the battles, something a sequel on switch can easily fix.

My opinion on how much "better" this game is compared to the other 3ds entries has generally declined, however. Its not because this game is underwhelming, but rather, I've begun to notice a lot more positives in the other games. I would still say that this is my favorite 3DS entry, but I can certainly see where people are coming from if they think Awakening or Fates are better games

I think my appreciation for the things that make Gaiden unique gets greater each time. I'm loving the game.

And as for Palla and Catria... I'd honestly say that Palla was one of the All-Girls run's worst characters, but she probably still beats my boys. Any girls that work as Pitchforked pegasi?

Well, after playing the game for 242 hours my opinion is still pretty much the same as it was in the first few couple of hours: The game is far better then I ever dared to hope for. Sure it's not great but at least it doesn't actively kill my soul. It's even downright enjoyable.

I suppose the two things that have changed a little to me is that I feel confident in saying that Celica's side of the story is just plain bad. With that said, it is still far superior to the story of the last two games. Sure, it's "bad" but it's not "Congratulations player, you burned thousands of people alive! You're the greatest tactician ever!" bad. I really don't want to downplay the difference here.

And I suppose the Panty Emblem elements are a little more persistent then it looked to me at first glance. But again, far superior compared to the previous two games. As far as I can tell only the Cavalier line has their undergarments rendered. But they look more like bloomers instead of thongs and are never actually highlighted. I'm not going to defend that cleric booty shake though. That was quite on the nose.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm not gonna lie, my opinion on the game has certainly waned a bit since it's release. I can't exactly pin point why, but overtime I felt myself getting more and more tired of it to the point I abandoned my most recent playthrough in favour of replaying Sacred Stones for the n-teenth time. Maybe it's just a burnout after all the hype surrounding that has simmered down but yeah.

I mean, I still call it my favourite FE since I love the characters, the art style, the music, the story and the gameplay, while archaic, I find to be a nice throwback to older games, but I will admit, I don't love it as much as I initially did.

I was really negative about this game during pre-release, especially in private, but I held back about it in public. When it came out and I played it, I hated the gameplay immmediy, to the point of scalping the game on amazon shortly after beating it on hard.  I think it has one of, if not the, best supporting casts in the series, but the main charathers/villians are fairly weak as is the overal plot. However it's pretty firmly my 3rd least fire emblem, although it can occaisionally climb to fourth-least when I consider aspects of blade of light. I sometimes read through the other supports and stuff online,, but I don't ever want to replay this thing. I don't have the oppurtunity to play the DLC but i can tell that while better, It wouldn't be enough. I pretty much get more negative about this game as time goes on. 

My opinion is mostly the same. Great music, a good supporting cast and some interesting gameplay mechanics. On the negative side, the story is a mess; not quite Fates tier but still pretty awful. Could have done without swamps and summon spam too.

On 08/13/2017 at 2:30 PM, r_n said:

Rudolf & Celica's plans are amazingly, ultra flawed (rudolf's could have failed at so many different points, Celica's could barely be considered,etc) but nothing echoes does will stand to "Let's lead a terrible, bloody war so we can put the evil man on a magic chair to reveal he's an evil slime man"

I'd say Rudolf's and Azura's plans are about equal. Both rely on a lot of uncertainties and cause a lot of needless deaths. In some ways, the Rudolf plan is even worse because it's not really clear why he needed to start a war, where Azura at least had the excuse (no matter how insane it was) that getting Garon on the chair would get the Nohrians to turn on him.

I think the game has great production values, I love nearly every character, BUT the story doesn't hold up, especially on subsequent playthroughs.  I usually evaluate the stories by whether I believe the actions and motivations of the character make sense given how they are portrayed.  On that measure, Alm and Celica are fine, Rudolf and Mycen are morons who took a big gamble for no reason, and Fernand and Berkut are a too rigid which makes them seem one-dimensional.  Because so much of the story is driven by Rudolf's plan, it sorta ruins things for me.  Not as much as Conquest though.

I have to say, that the lack of shipping and breeding has hurt the replay value.  While I like the game overall I haven't found much desire to play it after beating Hard/Classic.

7 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

My opinion is mostly the same. Great music, a good supporting cast and some interesting gameplay mechanics. On the negative side, the story is a mess; not quite Fates tier but still pretty awful. Could have done without swamps and summon spam too.

I'd say Rudolf's and Azura's plans are about equal. Both rely on a lot of uncertainties and cause a lot of needless deaths. In some ways, the Rudolf plan is even worse because it's not really clear why he needed to start a war, where Azura at least had the excuse (no matter how insane it was) that getting Garon on the chair would get the Nohrians to turn on him.

Rudolf lead a war beacuse it involved killing the peaceful spoiling god dragon. Even Celica was willing to sell her soul (to the world's most untrustworthy man) to revive Mila so I can't imagine most of Zofia was willing. The dumb part is the "I will lead a war in the hope that someone will rise & stop me". But at least Rudolf told others about his plan, even if it was just the upper ranks and people like Mycen.. Presumably there were other contingencies in place if Alm couldn't make it. Alternatively in a world of actual gods, things like Destiny can be relied on more, uh, reliably.

Azura, out of pure contempt for NOhr I can only assume, told only Corrin.

Honestly the stories between Conquest & Echoes are similar in a lot of ways, but Fates is taking all the dumb parts, casting aside most of the good parts, about Echoes/Gaiden and expanding on them to be dumber