Opinions on that Fire Emblem Echoes SoV Character #1-#52 (Check the OP)

Tobin: Not necessarily my favorite Ram villager (that's probably Kliff or Gray) but I'll admit he's endearing, especially his friendship with Gray and his inferiority complex to Alm (tell me IS, why can't they have a Support?).

Conrad: Admittedly didn't use him at first because I didn't see a reason to use a cavalier on swamps. I also don't know what exactly he adds to the story; epilepsyduck was kinda right about his negative impact on the story. Granted, I don't think he *ruins* the story on his own, but not my favorite character.

Slayde: Not my favorite, but he does his job as an asshole minor villain well.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Erureido said:

he was just a walking deux-ex-machina every time he showed up

To be fair it wouldn't be totally out of character if Conrad knew his hero tropes and just waited around in the bushes until he could dive out to suddenly do a deux-ex-machina :):

Tobin

I like Tobin.....and that's it really. My opinion doesn't really go much further then that. I think he and Grey are a less enjoyable pair then Celica's mage due but he does the job well enough. 

Conrad

I was a bit skeptical of the idea at first but I really like how Conrad turned out. I'm a sucker for big dorks to begin with so knowing the edgy masked knight was actually a big dork who actively tried to be edgy sat very well with me. He comes off as a sweet, funny guy with a very nice bond with Celica. He and Boey definitely needed a support together though.

Conrad didn't really blow me out of the water as a unit but he was decent enough.

Slayde

Slayde is a decent minor villain. He's suitably hatable enough and he has a good amount of screentime. I don't think Slayde would have carried large sections of the plot on his own like a Dain rider or Grado general but he's not asked to. Instead he's just a mid boss who pops up from time to time and he's definitely able to pull that one off. 

Tobin

He's rather likeable, and I feel like he's got some strong moments in both supports and the main story. However, I loathe how he pretty much goes "well Alm, I know you're better at me than everything, and I'll never be as awesome and hot as you, and while I hate that, I won't try to improve, so I'll just roll over and bask in your glory" in the final base monologue. 

Conrad

So uh, why was he added, again? He shows up when the plot demands it to save Celica, then it's "revealed" that he's her brother. He tells her to value her life...and she doesn't. So what did this all amount to? I mean I don't hate his character or anything, but he's just sort of there and seemingly fails with what he was added into the game for. I think I'd rather see a succession conflict rather than...whatever he did in the main story.

Slayde

Why did he survive for so long? I mean, what was so important in killing him in chapter four that he had to survive a DLC mission, two battles earlier in Echoes and an off-screen fight with Mycen? I guess it gives Clive a chance to hold a very nicely written lecture, but is that all?

I guess this was the day of "huh?" characters.

Tobin:

A good archer and a good enough character. I wasn't a fan of his Alm inferiority complex at first, but I realized that it fit his character; even now my only gripe with it is that it can be added to the listed of ways characters practically revere Alm in the game. Overall he was an interesting character.

Conrad:

I did not like his repeated out-of-the-blue come-to-the-rescues, but I liked his personality; both with and without the mask. Him being Celica's brother was predictable; him being half-Rigelian, less so. He was a really good unit despite Celica's route not favouring cavaliers. And what can I say; as a male redhead, I enjoy there being more red-haired heroes (though, ironically I'm not a big fan of Roy).

EDIT: Funny enough, the epilogue where it felt the need to specify that he was single the rest of his life despite female suitors made me think he had a support with another character, but of course he only has a support with Celica.

Slayde:

Two words easily define his character: despicable coward. He obviously was never going to be a major villain, and never needed to be. Where Fates tried to force Hans into greater plot-relevance, Slayde was just a recurring nuisance, and it worked. Who didn't want to punch him in the face? His final return was pretty much the moment one would forget he even existed. One theory of mine is that even Rudolf wanted him to die: hence his 'promotion' at the last fortress before the capital; somewhere Alm's army would have to go but would be less well defended.

Edited by vanguard333

Day 8 is now over, and with that, we are now onto Day 9!

Today's characters that we will discuss are Clair, Leon, and Massena.

What is your opinion on these three characters?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll give my opinions on them straight away.

Clair: A really great character and one of my favorites in Echoes! I find it endearing how she wants to learn more about rural lives despite her origins. She can be overbearing at times, but it's nice to see how she is aware of that flaw while also considering the impression she gives onto others. She has some pretty great supports all around, and I enjoyed most of her dialogue.

Clair wasn't a stellar unit when she was first recruited, but she truly shined from Act 2 onward. I found her to be a pretty good Pegasus Knight, one with some great speed, decent Defense, and solid Strength that was enough for her to handle a good number of enemies on her own. She was especially effective in dealing with those Terrors.

Alexis Tipton did an astounding job voicing the character overall, capturing Clair's overbearing yet sweet-natured personality with all her lines. Clair also has one of my favorite designs in all of Echoes. She looks really pretty!

Leon: Another character that I enjoyed a lot. Leon is an honest man with a sharp-tongue, paving the way for some memorable dialogue coming from him. He also has a nice backstory regarding his first love interest and how the death of said individual devastated him, but Valbar was there for him during those times. I especially enjoyed Leon and Valbar's interactions with each other, and the romantic feelings Leon had for his fellow knight was quite sweet.

Unit-wise, he was a good Archer overall. Act 4 was pretty rough on him in terms of landing hits and even getting killed a few times (perhaps both were due to RNG), but he stilll held well on his own.

His design looks pleasant with all that purple on him, and I did enjoy his voice-acting as well. He has plenty of lines that I liked, including "Well, aren't you nice!", "Excuse me?", "We're done here.", and "Good niiiiiight *mwah*."

Massena: Most of the screentime he received came from his interactions with Rudolph during those "meanwhile" moments and the aftermath of Alm's battle with Rudolph, but from what I saw of Massena, I liked him quite a bit. Though he could be considered an antagonist because he serves Rudolph, Massena seemed to be an alright individual. He was even aware about Berkut's volatile tendencies and how that individual could possible react to learning news about Alm being the true heir. Honestly, it would've been nice if Massena had more screentime so that we could understand his character more (maybe a Memory Prism between him and Berkut?). Heck, why couldn't we fight against him during that Rudolph battle?  I mean, he is the captain of Rudolph's personal guard, and is thus the closest possible person to being Rudolph's retainer, so it was odd that he wasn't present for that battle. If he was an enemy unit, I imagine he would be a Baron and would lead all those Barons in front of Rudolph in the right-hand portion of the map. 

Massena's design looks good. He has a pleasant beard and armor. I recently read from the Fire Emblem Wiki that it's possible his design was inspired from Cervantes from Awakening. I mean, both are bald, don mustaches, and wear red armor (the two also held very high positions within their respective leaders' armies, so that's another similarity the two have). Come to think of it, making such comparisons is fitting when you consider that Rudolph's redesign takes some key elements from Walhart's looks, so it's like Massena uses bits of Cervantes the same way Echoes!Rudolph does with Walhart. All that said, I do like those details that were given to Massena's design.

Edited by Erureido

2 minutes ago, Erureido said:

Day 8 is now over, and with that, we are now onto Day 9!

Today's characters that we will discuss are Clair, Leon, and Massena.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll give my opinions on them straight away.

Clair: A really great character and one of my favorites in Echoes! I find it endearing how she wants to learn more about rural lives despite her origins. She can be overbearing at times, but it's nice to see how she is aware of that flaw while also considering the impression she gives onto others. She has some pretty great supports all around, and I enjoyed most of her dialogue.

Clair wasn't a stellar unit when she was first recruited, but she truly shined from Act 2 onward. I found her to be a pretty good Pegasus Knight, one with some great speed, decent Defense, and solid Strength that was enough for her to handle a good number of enemies on her own. She was especially effective in dealing with those Terrors.

Alexis Tipton did an astounding job voicing the character overall, capturing Clair's overbearing yet sweet-natured personality with all her lines. Clair also has one of my favorite designs in all of Echoes. She looks really pretty!

Leon: Another character that I enjoyed a lot. Leon is an honest man with a sharp-tongue, paving the way for some memorable dialogue coming from him. He also has a nice backstory regarding his first love interest and how the death of said individual devastated him, but Valbar was there for him during those times. I especially enjoyed Leon and Valbar's interactions with each other, and the romantic feelings Leon had for his fellow knight was quite sweet.

Unit-wise, he was a good Archer overall. Act 4 was pretty rough on him in terms of landing hits and even getting killed a few times (perhaps both were due to RNG), but he stilll held well on his own.

His design looks pleasant with all that purple on him, and I did enjoy his voice-acting as well. He has plenty of lines that I liked, including "Well, aren't you nice!", "Excuse me?", "We're done here.", and "Good niiiiiight *mwah*."

Massena: Most of the screentime he received came from his interactions with Rudolph during those "meanwhile" moments and the aftermath of Alm's battle with Rudolph, but from what I saw of Massena, I liked him quite a bit. Though he could be considered an antagonist because he serves Rudolph, Massena seemed to be an alright individual. He was even aware about Berkut's volatile tendencies and how that individual could possible react to learning news about Alm being the true heir. Honestly, it would've been nice if Massena had more screentime so that we could understand his character more (maybe a Memory Prism between him and Berkut?). Heck, why couldn't we fight against him during that Rudolph battle?  I mean, he is the captain of Rudolph's personal guard, and is thus the closest possible person to being Rudolph's retainer, so it was odd that he wasn't present for that battle. If he was an enemy unit, I imagine he would be a Baron and would lead all those Barons in front of Rudolph in the right-hand portion of the map. 

Massena's design looks good. He has a pleasant beard and armor. I recently read from the Fire Emblem Wiki that it's possible his design was inspired from Cervantes from Awakening. I mean, both are bald, don mustaches, and wear red armor (the two also held very high positions within their respective leaders' armies, so that's another similarity the two have). Come to think of it, making such comparisons is fitting when you consider that Rudolph's redesign takes some key elements from Walhart's looks, so it's like Massena uses bits of Cervantes the same way Echoes!Rudolph does with Walhart. All that said, I do like those details that were given to Massena's design.

He didn't fight because Rudolf told him too from what I remember. 

Clair: You're contending for the title of my favourite character. What more is there to say?

Well, she's just as wry as Gray and her lines are just as hilarious as his, if not more so. As a pegasus, she destroys things.

Leon: A good archer, and that makes him a good character to me (I find the archer class to be the best to me, rather than Dread Fighter). I'm not engaged with his character, but it's certainly pleasant.

Massena: Another forgettable NPC. I forgot he showed up before Rudolf died.

1 minute ago, Peaceful_User said:

He didn't fight because Rudolf told him too from what I remember. 

I forgot about that. All I remember Rudolph told Massena during that scene was a mentioning of the Deliverance finally arriving at the Rigelian Castle and Massena replies, "It has, your excellency."

I still think it would've been cool for Massena to have been an enemy unit during the story in some capacity.

33 minutes ago, Erureido said:

I forgot about that. All I remember Rudolph told Massena during that scene was a mentioning of the Deliverance finally arriving at the Rigelian Castle and Massena replies, "It has, your excellency."

I still think it would've been cool for Massena to have been an enemy unit during the story in some capacity.

He needed someone to explain Alm everything. Why not his retainer? The one who likely knew everything from Rudolf as well. 

Edited by Peaceful_User

Clair: One of my favorite characters in this game (yes, i've been saying that a lot but this is the first FE game where i genuinely like the entire playable cast except for one but we'll get to that when the time comes). I remember seeing her first interactions with Alm and friends thanks to one of GameXplain's previews. I had pretty good time. That scene really showed me just how alive SoV's characters are. Anyway, she's got a pretty good personality. She comes off as that rich girl type, but she actually manages to be a likable character. Before we got to know her, i was afraid she was gonna be another Serra. I'm glad i was wrong.

As a unit, she's alright. She was a good Pegasus Knight, but my best Pegasus Knight on Alm's route was Emma (Solo Triangle Attack is so broken). I think Clair (and Emma) both do suffer a bit in terms of usefulness due to a lot of Archers and the lack of Terrors for them to one-shot. Still, Clair was pretty decent as a unit.

Voice acting trivia in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Clair's voice actress, Alexis Tipton, voiced Miliana from Fairy Tail, Kofuku from Noragami, Mei from My Hero Academia, and Yuno from Yona of the Dawn. Even though i watched those four anime subbed, it's nice to see that Alexis has played some characters from some of my favorite anime.

She also voiced two characters in Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven, and that reminds me that i need to finish that game.

Leon: He's a nice guy. While i don't really care about the matter, it's nice to see IS going forward and adding a gay character (Niles and Rhajat don't really count, since they are only gay if the Avatar with the same gender marries them). That being said, i don't care that much about him. No, he isn't the one character in this game that i dislike. I like Leon. But he's not someone i would really talk about. He's got an alright character.

As a unit, he's pretty good. The best of Valbar's group. I transferred the Blessed Bow from Alm's route over to Celica's and Leon began to tear Terrors apart (the Whitewing were still the best at that tho).

Massena: Ok, can i just say that i really like the name "Massena". It's just so nice to say. Other than that, he's just there. Not much to say about him tbh. He does look like Crevantes. Maybe Massena is Crevantes' ancestor? Adding that to the headcanon list.

Clair: I immediately liked Clair, her very first line of dialogue brought interest to her character. I like her supports with Gray and Delthea, and she makes a good addition to Alm's army with interactions with him (Alm), Clive, and others. In a way, she kind of reminds me of Maribelle. The only thing I'd of added for her would be supports with Tobin, but otherwise she's great! As a unit, she was immensely useful as the first of her class in Alm's army and someone I found myself using very often, although I did have to hold her back every now and then since she can be a tad squishy. Overall a good unit, though. I also really like her redesign, she has one of the best ones in the game.

Leon: While not as high as others on my list of favorite Echoes characters, I did like Leon as a character. He's a nice dude, yet sharply honest. Although I didn't care about his crush on Valbar. I like his design, all the purple contrasts nicely and doesn't look too extreme or in-your-face. As a unit, he's probably the best of Valbar's group, and he was one of the units I used the most on Celica's route. But in the end, I'd rank him behind Tobin, as far as archers go.

Massena: All I really have to say about him is that he totally looks like he could be Crevantes' ancestor, and that's pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Peaceful_User said:

He needed someone to explain Alm everything. Why not his retainer? The one who likely knew everything from Rudolf as well. 

Funny how Rudolph wanted Massena to stay around to tell Alm about everything, yet in the end, it's Mycen that does most of the talking instead.

I guess Rudolph gave that to both his close friend and his retainer.

6 minutes ago, Erureido said:

Funny how Rudolph wanted Massena to stay around to tell Alm about everything, yet in the end, it's Mycen that does most of the talking instead.

I guess Rudolph gave that to both his close friend and his retainer.

Massena does help explain some things so there is that I guess-

Clair

If Mae wasn't in the game, Clair would easily be the best of the bunch, especially with that new design of hers. I love the likes of Serra and Maribelle, so that should come as no surprise. The fact she's pretty much the only woman Alm recruits who has any real screentime or story importance to speak of helps her, but even if she didn't I would've loved her anyway. She also ended up being pretty impressive in my run, and got the Gradivus by the end for even more power. A shame she's such a package deal with her bland-ass brother.

Leon

Yet more proof that archery is an inherently gay form of combat. But seriously, I love this guy. He's got a sharp sense of humor and a really appealing design. And hey, even if he's a smidge on the stereotypical side, it's nice to have a gay dude in the game. I love Niles and Rhajat too, and I think they get a bad rap, but their implementation had a few issues that Leon mostly avoids. Using him was a bit of a struggle, sadly, especially once Atlas started stealing his thunder, but at least he could chip from a safe distance, so he was never an outright liability. A shame the game didn't let him and Kamui date, they'd be Valentia's power couple for sure.

Massena

I legit did not remember who this was until I looked it up. He's whatever, I guess.

Edited by epilepsyduck

Clair - Her type of character usually tends to be one of my favourites, and Clair is no exception! She's pretty adorable and funny, and it's nice that she makes an effort to come off as less "holier than thou" if that makes sense.

Leon - He's a really sweet guy who I'm glad exists honestly. I like his backstory and his thing with Valbar is well handled IMO. He's also a good mage killer so that's a plus!

Massena - Once again, he's a good enough character for what he is, I guess. However it's awesome that he resembles Cervantes though! (Which I'd imagine was more than likely intentional)

Clair:

Not my favourite character, but quite interesting nonetheless. She was an alright unit, though none of the Pegasus knights I used turned out very well for some reason.

Leon:

He was a useful archer.

Massena:

Cool that he resembles Cervantes, but he was not very memorable (and, to be honest, so was Cervantes in Awakening...).

Clair

She's pretty good. A slightly less likeable Maribelle, but Maribelle is awesome, so that's definitely a passing grade. I just wish she hadn't had to continue her support with Gray, seeing as she was right to tear him to pieces in the B support.

Leon

Pretty funny guy. A bit stereotypical, even more so in the Japanese version, but he's charmingly enough written.

Clair: She's very likeable, she keeps herself relevant by getting a good word in throughout the story, has a nice support with Mathilda, and has a pretty good balance between her different personality traits (Rich Girl, headstrong, supportive, blunt, etc.). Probably among my top ten favorite characters in the game overall.

Leon: Stereotypical, but handled in a way that doesn't come off as annoying and instead very likeable. Lucien Dodge did a great job with the character and his conversations tend to be enjoyable and fun. Also, his relationship with Valbar is pretty well written since while he crushes on him, he respects him enough to not cross his boundaries, which is good to see since it's very easy to write such crushes as either too pushy or abhorrent.

Massena: He exists, and that's really about it. He doesn't contribute much to the plot except for expanding on certain details Mycen doesn't get to, so he's very forgettable since he immediately gets overshadowed in the one role he has.

Edited by Medeus

Aw man, I'm gonna have to write an exceptionally long post for missing some characters, aren't I?  From here on, I'll just put my opinions in spoilers for ease of visuals and access.

At least this time, we're getting some characters I like so that it doesn't seem like I totally despise the game.

Not!Robin

Spoiler

I used to absolutely trash on this guy, but he's part of the "villager trio", which are some of the best characters in the game.

Of course he's on board with the Alm worship nonsense, but at least he actually has history with Alm, so he's a better judge of his character than most others are.  Apart from that, his competitive spirit conjures memories of characters like Takumi, which is definitely a plus.  Of course he work well as a second-fiddle to Grey, and he's actually a pretty swell dude once you get to know him.

Oh, and he's not as trash as he used to be in Gaiden.  He's actually useful.  Though his battle quote "Alm's got nothin' on me!" still carries little weight, but Alm's OP as hell, so you can't fault him for trying.

Clair Redfield

Spoiler

Without a doubt one of the best characters in Echoes.

She's like a somewhat stubbed form of Maribelle, except she retains some level of relevance thanks to her almost always being involved in discussions during the story like the villager bros are.  She doesn't necessarily look down on lower class folks like Maribelle does at times, but she does share a level of ignorance for commoner culture that's kind of endearing.  Though she's nice and supportive, she won't put up with nonsense unless the story forces her to turn a blind eye.

She's just a well-rounded character with all the right cards.  And even when the story involves her in its stupidity, she still manages to remain fairly respectable through it all.

Conrad Verner

Spoiler

Come on man, I was having a huge discussion about Bioware games in this thread; how could I not reference this gem of a character?  He has a picture of the famous Spectre Commander Shepard set next to his bed for his non-existent wife to admire.

Another alright chum, though I think his ultimate reveal should've been enough to dissuade Celica from her... dumbness.

I wish his Rigelian heritage was made more relevant to his character or the plot.  You know, aside from it making him an oh-so superior soldier like everyone from Rigel seems to be.  Maybe it could explain why no one in the story seems to give a shit about him besides Celica?

Leon

Spoiler

Not sure why some people have said he's not stereotypical.  If he wasn't actually gay, people would say he's metrosexual.

Regardless, he's still an example of a gay character done tastefully.  His... "gayness" isn't all that hamfisted, nor is he made out to be a terrible person for it, and he comes across as a believable character.  He has a fairly tragic love story, which I'm sure is why he feels kinship to Valbar, who experienced similar tragedies.  Speaking of, I really like his supports Valbar (which for those of you who can see my sig, this fact is probably self-evident).

Slayde

Spoiler

A pathetic minor boss made slightly more relevant.

There was absolutely no point in making him more relevant, either.  He's just a shitty villain who always loses.  I think they were trying to build up this little rivalry between your forces and him, but they did that with Berkut and, to a lesser extent, Desaix as well.  Compared to them, he's like an annoying little fly that just won't die.  Which says a lot about how pathetic he is.

Massena

Spoiler

Hmm...  *Searches the FE Wiki*  Oh, right...

'Nother device character.  Even less of a character than Irma and Halcyon, somehow.  Nothing more to say other than he's literally Cervantes with thinner, grayer facial hair.

Day 9 is now over, and with that, we are now onto Day 10.

Today's characters that we will discuss are Mathilda, Genny, and Fernand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will give my thoughts on them straight away.

Mathilda: Another favorite of mine in Fire Emblem Echoes. Mathilda was quite the enjoyable individual and an interesting backstory. Her father was a talented soldier, and thus he raised her to become a warrior. Mathilda had doubts every now and then, pondering whether or not she should continue that path or become more like the other maidens. Those maidens convinced her it was great to continue the path of the warrior, and thus Mathilda continued. She also has four younger sisters that often write letters to her, and judging from that one base conversation, Mathilda must be quite the role model to them (and in a cute way too). Her supports were also enjoyable to listen to. I know her supports with Clive are a mixed bag amongst the fandom, but if you asked me what I thought about it, I'm in the camp that enjoyed it. Yeah, I can see why that dialogue can be considered cheesy, but I thought it was heartwarming to see the two interact with each other after they have been separated for some time (not to mention the A-support shows a more human side to her yet again when she wonders whether or not alright for her to surpass Clive). They make quite a good couple! I also enjoyed the interactions between her and Clair, both within that one Rise of the Deliverance chapter and their supports. No doubt they'd be good sisters-in-law! In all, I'd say Mathilda strikes a pretty good mix between lady and tomboy.

Unit-wise, Mathilda certainly lives up to her title of "War Goddess" quite well. She is by far the best unit in Alm's army and one of the best units in the entire game (alongside Dread Fighter!Saber)! With good Defense and Resistance, great Speed, and nice Strength, Mathilda was a very reliable who carried out many kills during my playthrough. Heck, she was the one was able to finish off Jedah in the final map.

I enjoyed Mathilda's acting a lot, and her design is easily one of my favorites in the game. That blue and silver combination looks really good on her!

Genny: Genny is alright. She has a cute personality overall, and her interest in becoming an author was pleasant to learn about. I was quite surprised to learn that she is into older men; that could've paved the way for an interesting support conversation with Saber considering how much older he is compared to her. I also thought her supports with Sonya. Other than that, she's okay, but not a major standout in my book compared to other characters.

Genny was also a pretty good Healer. Her Invoke was very clutch in many maps, and Physic was a plus to have as well.

Her voice-acting fits her character well, and she has some nice quotes. Her design is cute too: it really gives the image of her being a sweet, little lamb!

Fernand: "The Green-Armored Douchebag." That is what I like to call Fernand. He is easily my second least favorite character in the game. Fernand is a classist jerk throughout the story, and he does so to the point of becoming infuriating. Listen Fernand, I understand your hatred for commoners comes from the fact your whole family was killed in a peasant uprising, but come on, Alm being a commoner is not a reason you should leave the Deliverance and commit treason to side with Rigel! Much like how odd I found it that Alm forgave Berkut despite the actions of the latter, I also wasn't a fan of Alm forgiving Fernand so easily, especially when Fernand put Alm down at every opportunity...

Spoiler

And if I'm being really honest, despite the fact Fernand finally admits his wrongdoings in his final moments, I did not feel any remorse for him when he died because he failed to be a character who I could truly sympathize for.

A few good things I will say about Fernand though: the Rise of the Deliverance does portray Fernand in a much better light compared to the story, from the way he calls out Slayde in that first map to those Memory Prisms with Clair and Mathilda respectively. Two, he has a nice design with a particularly good taste in hairstyle. Three, his voice acting was pretty good. My favorite line from him from an acting standpoint alone was when he tells Clive, "You took all that I believed in trod it into the mire." The five words of that sentence was delivered quite well. He was also quite a challenging unit to go up against in that first battle, though RNG not being on my side that battle was likely another reason why (almost all of my units that went for the first strike on him missed, leading to a tense situation where I couldn't kill Fernand before he reached my main chunk of the army).

Yet, despite Fernand having a better portrayal in those DLC maps, a cool design, solid voice-acting, and a good degree of challenge for an enemy unit, I still cannot bring myself to like him.

Edited by Erureido

Phew, I'm behind a ways. Gonna have to say something small and simple.

Mycen

Spoiler

Alm's "grandfather." Cool guy, not bad personality, kind of odd backstory. I liked how it was slowly revealed throughout the game that Alm wasn't related to him, specifically when that one old guy said "Mycen never had any children." It is weird though that Mycen wasn't with Alm through his whole trip though. As for gameplay, he came a bit too late for an accurate statement, but seems powerful.

Boey

Spoiler

OK. I don't dislike him as much as others supposedly do, as he turned out well. Character, he was slightly boring; most of his interactions involved Mae and I wish he had a few other supports to further flesh out his character. Gameplay he was good, not perfect but good.

Rinea

Spoiler

Underwhelming. I don't understand what she sees in Berkut. I wish he was a bit more devoted to her and it was more evident that he loved her. The Memory Prism helped slightly but still not enough.

Delthea

Spoiler

Just call it Delthea Emblem and call it a day. This thing was a nuke, decimating any and all enemies that stood in her way. But of course, she's not perfect; I didn't like her personality or voice. I mean, I understand she was meant to be that way, but the fact that she wanted to be a normal girl doesn't matter when she has such power. She has a gift; she should cherish the things fate gave her and work with it.

Est

Spoiler

Much like her archetype, she started "meh" and ended up epic. I feel Pegasus Knights themselves were overpowered in this game, but I gave her a Silver Lance and she became the most powerful of the sisters. Onto personality, I liked her enthusiasm and relationship with her sisters. So I guess I just really liked her! Not as much as Catria though...

Halcyon

Spoiler

... Who? Ah, that one "Duma" sage that was entirely irrelevant. The story of Jedah ousting him was neat, but this guy was ultimately unnecessary aside from providing a safe respite in the heart of Rigel.

Tobin

Spoiler

The archer of the villagers. Frankly, I found all the archers in this game weak, but at least Tobin was the best of them. As a character, I liked him. Well rounded and simple; he was nothing out of the ordinary and it fit him well. I liked that he was sometimes the voice of reason for Alm as well.

Conrad

Spoiler

The 3rd (3rd? Or 4th? I dunno) masked knight of Fire Emblem. Under such guise he was unnecessary except as a Deus ex Machina, but once he joined as Celica's brother he was neat. I don't usually like "dorky" characters but I did like him, something about his supports with Celica. As a unit, he was rather good, but alas, came too late to be exceptional.

Slayde

Spoiler

Meh. He probably should have just died with or before Dessax. The Memory Prism didn't help either, as he begins like "Dessax, you can't just kill the royalty!" and ends with "Oh Dessax, wonderful idea!" ... which I am still confused about. His joining Rigel felt forced and unneeded as well except to personalize the conflict.

Clair

Spoiler

Contender for best character of the game. As aforementioned, Pegasi Knights as really powerful, and Clair, by virtue of being the only one in Alm's path (unless you made Faye one) is probably the most powerful. Her curiosity of the "common rabbles" is interesting, though I feel is overdone or cliche. Nonetheless, she is still a favorite of mine, and I love her critical quotes.

Leon

Spoiler

Meh. I mean, he was the best of Valbar's group, but that's combined with my low opinion of archers in this game, and the fact that I found Tobin the best of them. In other words, he was decent, but ultimately weak in the grand scheme of things. As for his character, I myself would rather not tread there, but I will mention that I'm glad his... interests... are in the least not fully stuffed down the player's throat (i.e. can be ignored).

Massena

Spoiler

... Who? Sure, he was Rudolph's adviser or so, and was tasked with telling Alm about Rudolph's plan, but in the end it was Mycent who did this job, and so he was, ultimately, unnecessary.

Wait, that wasn't small and simple at all!

I still need to come back for the first characters in this thread. Eh. Another time.

Edit: Oh! And the newest ones.

Edited by Rex Glacies

Mathilda: Yep, we're looking at a goddess here. I don't know at what point Mathilda became the one pining for Clive, but I think a head injury was definitely involved (and considering that helmet, it doesn't surprise me). Mathilda being in charge of the Deliverance, and her kidnapping limiting their ability to accomplish anything, is fully believable. And the fact she's basically successful!Faye is fine in my book. Yeah, she's one of my favourites, especially since she somehow kept her lance while imprisoned. She has more guts than the entire male body of the Deliverance.

Genny: Adorable, squishy, and writes a mean story. Genny was a favourite ever since I heard she wrote books, and her interpretation of the journey was hilarious. She's already planning a sequel! Her and Sonya together basically sum up why this playthrough of Echoes will be the only time I pick up Deen.

Fernand: Call me biased towards Clair all you wish, but I have no patience for that sexist pig. "I am going to find your brother and bury him in a very deep hole" is the limit of my enjoyment of his character, RotD or otherwise. Doesn't help he doesn't stand out at all in his boss battles.

Mathilda: A favorite of mine, Mathilda is easily one of the best characters in the game. Her voice actresses fits her perfectly and i got a good understanding of who she is. Her being the founder of the Deliverance made sense and i liked her Supports. Her final battle quote was delivered amazingly. I will say that i never got the Rise of Deliverance DLC, so i haven't expiereinced what she's like in that. I have the money, but if i buy it now, i won't be able to get the Gunvolt Striker Pack that releases on the Switch eShop next month.

As a unit, she certainly lives up to her "Goddess of War title". She crushed everything in her path. She's like a physical-based Delthea that rides a horse.

Genny: She's cute. Her voice is adorable. I do wish she had gotten more Supports than just Sonya. Because that effectively means if you don't recruit Sonya, then Genny has no Supports.

As a unit, Invoke spam is amazing. She also gets Expel which is useful on Celica's route, even if it got nerfed from Gaiden.

Fernand: A jerk. Not even a good jerk. I'll give him credit for actually feeling like a villain compared to every Fates villain but other than that, i did not care for him. He has a nice design and good voice though. And again, i don't have the Rise of Deliverance DLC yet, so i can't comment on how Fernand is there.

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Mathilda: A favorite of mine, Mathilda is easily one of the best characters in the game. Her voice actresses fits her perfectly and i got a good understanding of who she is. Her being the founder of the Deliverance made sense and i liked her Supports. Her final battle quote was delivered amazingly. I will say that i never got the Rise of Deliverance DLC, so i haven't expiereinced what she's like in that. I have the money, but if i buy it now, i won't be able to get the Gunvolt Striker Pack that releases on the Switch eShop next month.

As a unit, she certainly lives up to her "Goddess of War title". She crushed everything in her path. She's like a physical-based Delthea that rides a horse.

Genny: She's cute. Her voice is adorable. I do wish she had gotten more Supports than just Sonya. Because that effectively means if you don't recruit Sonya, then Genny has no Supports.

As a unit, Invoke spam is amazing. She also gets Expel which is useful on Celica's route, even if it got nerfed from Gaiden.

Fernand: A jerk. Not even a good jerk. I'll give him credit for actually feeling like a villain compared to every Fates villain but other than that, i did not care for him. He has a nice design and good voice though. And again, i don't have the Rise of Deliverance DLC yet, so i can't comment on how Fernand is there.

Should've looked at the DLC then. Fernand is great.