Opinions on that Fire Emblem Echoes SoV Character #1-#52 (Check the OP)

Zeke: He's Camus so that already gives me a reason to like him. Of course, SoV is the first time we actually get to hear him speak. And his voice is pretty nice. As a unit, he's a decent Gold Knight, but Mathilda is better. 

Saber: Probably the best unit on Celica's route. Dread Fighter!Saber is too good. As a character, he's great. He really gives off that mercenary vibe and his voice fits him perfectly. Speaking of voices, Saber's Japanese VA voiced Dio Brando in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. Saber sharing a voice with my favorite anime villain gets him an extra 10 points. 

A pet-peeve of mine though, is that for whatever reason, Saber's victory pose as a Mercenary changes when he promotes. He's the only character in the game to do this (not counting reclasses). 

Desaix: He's a Saturday-morning cartoon villain. Fun fact, did you know he killed Kliff in the Gaiden manga? Yep, that happened. Two playable characters died in the manga, Kliff and Deen.

Desaix's voice fit him well, i will say.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

As a character, she had less of a role compared to other characters in Celica's story.

Explicable by virtue of the fact you can leave her chillin in the Novis Monastery from Act 2 all the way to the F10 of Thabes. SoV decided to play by Gaiden's recruitment rules, and thus Genny is optional, despite the fact nobody would leave her behind save for a special challenge (you can't even have Alm recruit her like Celica Kliff and Faye and thus exclude Genny on those grounds). Most of Gaiden/SoV's cast is optional, much more than any other FE.

20 hours ago, Thane said:

Intelligent System often overestimates just how much sympathy their characters are worth, and we can see this with Berkut, Rudolf and Mycen in the same game.

You know how people say Corrin is no self-insert? Well Corrin is, and so is Alm, they are both self-inserts of IS's own collective psyche.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Explicable by virtue of the fact you can leave her chillin in the Novis Monastery from Act 2 all the way to the F10 of Thabes. SoV decided to play by Gaiden's recruitment rules, and thus Genny is optional, despite the fact nobody would leave her behind save for a special challenge (you can't even have Alm recruit her like Celica Kliff and Faye and thus exclude Genny on those grounds). Most of Gaiden/SoV's cast is optional, much more than any other FE.

Gray, Tobin, Clair, Clive, Saber and both of Mae/Boey got promoted to required. And that's just what I remember.

Just now, phineas81707 said:

Gray, Tobin, Clair, Clive, Saber and both of Mae/Boey got promoted to required. And that's just what I remember.

According to the FE2 recruitment page here on SF, Mae and Boey were always required, as was Gray, but maybe the page is inaccurate.

Then again, it could be that some characters were upped to being required, and IS just decided to be inconsistent with Genny. Or, they didn't feel like having to work another character into the story dialogue.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

According to the FE2 recruitment page here on SF, Mae and Boey were always required, as was Gray, but maybe the page is inaccurate.

Then again, it could be that some characters were upped to being required, and IS just decided to be inconsistent with Genny. Or, they didn't feel like having to work another character into the story dialogue.

Someone on Serenes did this run. I remember because I apparently inspired it, though it wasn't until later that I came across it.

I think you need one or the other of Boey/Mae and Gray requires a skip to skip, but there is video evidence of their non-requiredness.

I think keeping the number of characters they needed to include minimal was wise, but I would have liked to have seen optional, tacked-on dialogue lines if you had recruited them.

Zeke

First time I ever cared much for Camus. He's got a beautiful, beautiful voice now. Camus design looks a bit older and more buffed then in Shadow dragon which I find a good fit for him. I definitely prefer Zeke with Tatiana, they make a good couple with her bubbly nature being a good fit for his stoicism. Its also sweet how Camus is very open with how much he loves his beloved. His Camus tendencies are more noble this time around because Rudolf was pretty much his daddy and he also had to fight to keep his wife safe. It certainly beats fighting for a man who betrays humanity and sells his children to a mad mage.

Camus was a good unit but I most admit I expected more from him because he's Camus. Mathilda pretty consistently had in beat in most areas. 

Saber

Saber is certainly in my top three of characters. Everything Saber is, says and does just screams baddass. He's got a fantastic design, is a great unit and I enjoy his growing fondness of Celica. Give him a brave sword(killer edge) and he's a crit machine that can solo whole chapters.

Desaix

Like with Slayde I like Desaix for what he is. Desaix is supposed to be the starting bad guy and manages to serve that role nicely enough. He kinda reminded me of Dong Zhou from Dynasty warriors. A fat tyrannical regent who seems to have a thing for taking pretty girls prisoner. 

I do think the game tries to paint him as less competent then he really is. Desaix had a pretty good run, he killed a king, took over a kingdom long before even doing the regicide and managed to beat Clive at every turn before Alm came around. Yet in the DLC Slayde seems to mumble about what a nitwit he is. 

Zeke

Not entirely sure how he floated all the way from Archanea to Valentia after Marth messed him up but whatever. He's a typical knight character and a surprisingly grating voice, which is odd considering how stellar the voice acting for the game is otherwise. There's not a whole lot to say about him, I feel like.

Saber

Can't help but feel like he's very much a badass, and I love how he sort of becomes the team dad for Celica's side. He's got a few adorable lines where it sounds like he's looking after them, and I think it creates a nice mix.

Desaix

The guy who surreptitiously took over the kingdom of Zofia, the person who all but ended Mila's bloodline, the man who sold out his country and started a civil war...gets beaten by a group of all but defeated rebels in chapter one without any real challenge or build-up. Why? Just...why?

I would comment on the body double nonsense and how that was utterly pointless in the grand scheme of the plot, but this game has so many of those odd moments that I feel like I'd just sound like a broken record.

Edited by Thane

So I previously mentioned a few times on this thread that I planned on Grieth being discussed one of those days, but I am now contemplating whether or not I should go through it. I mean, I consider Grieth to be a slightly major villain along the ranks of Slayde and Desaix mainly because Grieth's battle did have buildup that started all the way back when Celica fought Barth, not to mention his power and influence demonstrated one of the many negative consequences of Lima IV's ignorant rule. However, I can imagine why plenty of other fans would make the opposite argument and label Grieth as even less significant than Slayde or Desaix.

That said, I created a Strawpoll where you can decide whether or not you want to talk about Grieth in this thread. To all the active participants in this thread, I encourage you to take a moment to complete the poll; It will only take a second to complete. I want to gather enough feedback to determine whether or not we should talk about him when the day comes.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13770616

--------------------------------------------------

I'll give my thoughts on the characters now.

Zeke: From what I've seen of him here, he's alright. His interactions with Tatiana were enjoyable, and it was interesting to learn how he bonded with Rudolph. Zeke was an okay unit as well: a decent Cavalier who could get the job done, but he was outclassed by Mathilda and Conrad. He also has a pretty cool design, and I enjoy his voice acting (Patrick Seitz is a VA I enjoy listening to).

Saber: Badass is the word that describes him. Awesome design, cool voice acting (both English and Japanese, the latter sharing the same voice actor as Dio), awesome character, and fantastic unit. I enjoyed his dialogue throughout Celica's story and how he becomes a father-figure to her during her adventure. He was also the best Dread Fighter in Celica's Army, with some great stats all-around for tanking and dealing heavy damage.

Desaix: Well, Desaix did have his reasons for overthrowing and killing Lima IV, but in the broad scheme of things, he just felt like yet another generic villain similar to Slayde. I never bothered trying to get the Dracoshield from him in the first battle, but I do remember having to play carefully against him in his final map. Thankfully, Luthier and Kliff were able to finish the job.

---------------------------------------------------

11 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I can't remember but can anyone confirm if he had a beef with Forysth? I know he has one with Lukas & Python but I don't know about Forsyth. If Fernand did have trouble with Forysth than he's a lot more worse than I remember.

He did. He badmouthed both Python and Forsyth in one sentence during that scene when he leaves the Deliverance (I can't remember the exact wording, but I do know he badmouthed the two individuals before Clive said, "Both of them have proven themselves on the battlefield time and time again."

Zeke: He's okay. I would have liked a good explanation for how he managed to wash up in Valentia. All we learn is that he washed ashore grievously wounded. How did he float all the way there? If he was grievously wounded, how did he not bleed out before washing ashore? He presumably was unconscious, so he couldn't swim, so how did he not drown? He managed to float all the way across a sea from one continent to another while badly wounded, all without dying? If he had said something like: "I was found washed up on a [piece of driftwood/corpse of his horse/something plausible to provide floatation]; half my bones broken", that would have given a clear idea of what happened.

Anyway... he was a decent unit and I liked his relationship with Tatiana. But then I have another problem: he was loyal to Rudolf but opposed both the war and Jerome & Nuibaba's tyranny over the local populace, so they controlled him by holding Nuibaba hostage. That's all fine, but my question then; why did Rudolf do nothing? If he was hoping the Deliverance would kill Jerome and Nuibaba for him, then he risked losing Zeke: a loyal soldier, as well. Why did Zeke feel that he betrayed Rudolf by killing Jerome and Nuibaba?

Saber: Good unit; that's really all I have to say.

Desaix: He was meant to be a despicable man who used King Lima's bad reign as an excuse to take over. An early major villain. He certainly was despicable. I can understand him being less competent than he appears, simply because his main advantage was persuading people to his side (framing Mycen for the near-complete assassination of the king's children, and swaying the Zofian nobility to his side after killing the king). And yet, defeating him the first time felt anti-climatic.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

The guy who surreptitiously took over the kingdom of Zofia, the person who all but ended Mila's bloodline, the man who sold out his country and started a civil war...gets beaten by a group of all but defeated rebels in chapter one without any real challenge or build-up. Why? Just...why?

I completely agree. I understand his defeat in chapter 3, as most of Zofia now supports the Deliverance, and the Rigelians never considered him anything more than a puppet ruler, so of course they don't care about him after his failure to hold the capital. Besides, even if they did, he thinks Rudolf has betrayed him by making Alm head of the deliverance (more on that next paragraph). But they still could have made it a more climatic desperate last stand, and his defeat in chapter 1 was so abrupt.

Also, how did he know Rudolf had a son? Supposedly no one knew that except for Rudolf and Mycen. I can understand him knowing about Mycen and Rudolf having been old friends, and him knowing Mycen never had kids. And yet, even though everyone believes that Rudolf had no surviving kids, Desaix hears, "Mycen's Grandson" and after only a moment of thinking deduces, "Rudolf's son". How? I can understand him thinking Rudolf has  orchestrated Desaix's doom after deducing that Alm is Rudolf's son, but how did he figure it out? It makes no sense that he knew of Rudolf's kid in the first place! Besides, if he knew, why did he never try to use that!? He just kept it to himself until his dying breath.

2 hours ago, Erureido said:

Zeke: From what I've seen of him here, he's alright. His interactions with Tatiana were enjoyable, and it was interesting to learn how he bonded with Rudolph. Zeke was an okay unit as well: a decent Cavalier who could get the job done, but he was outclassed by Mathilda and Conrad. He also has a pretty cool design, and I enjoy his voice acting (Patrick Seitz is a VA I enjoy listening to).

WAIT, PATRICK SEITZ VOICED ZEKE?! Ok, Zeke just got an extra 10 points in my book. Patrick Seitz voiced Dio in the English dubs of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. I watched Phantom Blood in English and Patrick did an amazing job with Dio.

And after researching a bit, i have to give Zeke an extra 5 points as well because Patrick voiced Laxus in Fairy Tail (even though i prefer the Fairy Tail sub).

Edited by Armagon

4 hours ago, Erureido said:

So I previously mentioned a few times on this thread that I planned on Grieth being discussed one of those days, but I am now contemplating whether or not I should go through it. I mean, I consider Grieth to be a slightly major villain along the ranks of Slayde and Desaix mainly because Grieth's battle did have buildup that started all the way back when Celica fought Barth, not to mention his power and influence demonstrated one of the many negative consequences of Lima IV's ignorant rule. However, I can imagine why plenty of other fans would make the opposite argument and label Grieth as even less significant than Slayde or Desaix.

I mean, if you're including such inconsequential characters as Irma or balding Cervantes, then you might as well include Grieth as well since I'm pretty sure he receives more characterization than any of those characters... for what little characterization he actually gets.

Anyway, now we've got the second Archanean character in this thread, so I'm gonna get right to it.

Not!Sirius

Spoiler

I don't understand what people find grating about his voice; it did take a little getting used to, but I think it fits him quite well.

Regardless, this is also the first time I actually cared about Camus.  In Shadow Dragon, he just seems to die needlessly and cause undue grief for Nyna; in Mystery, while he's cool and all that, he lacks a certain sympathetic pull, which isn't helped by the fact that he has nothing to say to Lang, the man responsible for the suffering of his nation, or Hardin, another man responsible for his nation's turmoil and Nyna being placed on a sacrificial plate for a dragon.

But here, we actually get to see some of his noble traits.  Fiercely loyal, gratuitous, brave, fairly intelligent... and even loving.  And we know that Tatianna is his true love because even though he returns to Archanea in Mystery, he leaves not long after he and the others defeat Medeus to return to Valentia.

It never really explains how Camus got here and had his memory wiped clean... but honestly, I think it's worth it to get this sort of characterization out of him.  This is the one unexplained plot element I'm willing to let slide because it allowed me to actually feel for a character that has such a long history in the franchise.

Light Saber

Spoiler

Why does Celica care more about Alm than this guy?  Even when you snatch away the golden dagger you give him and drag him all through the mud, he sticks with you.  He's done more for Celica than Alm ever did except for in the end, and even in the end, Alm wound up saving Celica purely by chance (I wouldn't even say he actually "saved" her).  And they get along fairly well, too.

Anyway, I really like Saber.  I almost wanted to just run into him drunk like in the original game (or pretending to be drunk, anyway), but that's okay.  He's totally chill about everything, takes on the role of Dad for the allies he's travelling with, and he's got a nice line of supports with Jesse.  And I don't even need to mention that he's a bad ass.

He retains plot relevance too, which is a plus.

Desaix

Spoiler

Unworthy, unworthy, unworthy!  Useless mortal meat.  Walking bag of dung!

A nice effort, though.  Shame he's dead.  Heh...  These things happen.

For all the talk about him being this terrifying foe for the righteous in Zofia and all the political intrigue, he's sort of a let down.  Not necessarily because he's just a generic bad guy (I honestly don't mind that part), but because he's so pathetic.  He's so pathetic that you actually can kill him in his first appearance, though obviously the plot doesn't want you doing that so when you break the game this way, it states that he was just a body double.

Let's talk about his "achievements" from the start of Alm's journey to his demise:

• He occupies Zofia Castle for a few days
  • His forces are defeated at Zofia Castle by a bunch of ranch-hands assisted by a cleric and a few actual knights
  • He retreats to his fortress and prepares to use the former rebellion's leader's lover as leverage
  • His plan to use that prisoner as leverage fails, as the rebels already reach his fortress
  • He fails to execute the prisoner, who oddly enough still has armor, a horse, and a weapon, and is hardly wounded by the rain of arrows falling down upon her
  • He and his forces are all killed by the same ranch-hands who defeated him back at Zofia, except they're one mage stronger

Yeah, talk about an intimidating enemy, huh?

I do find the body double thing funny, though.  It's crazy that they even left that in, especially since they actually have "defeated but not killed" idle animations for units who recur like Slayde.  They're nothing if not dedicated to staying true to the original.  Give or take a few retcons.

14 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

It never really explains how Camus got here and had his memory wiped clean

Time, space and money saved by reusing his assets in the original Gaiden, plus some popularity that stemmed from Camus, I believe. Same reason why the Whitewings are here.

Oh, you meant in-game? There is no reason.

16 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Alm wound up saving Celica purely by chance

Don't you mean "destiny"?

17 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Unworthy, unworthy, unworthy!  Useless mortal meat.  Walking bag of dung!

A nice effort, though.  Shame he's dead.  Heh...  These things happen.

CHEESE, FOR EVERYONE!

Zeke: I played FE 11/12 back to back. One of the question that I had was what cause da change in Camus personality. Now my question has been answered. I guess one of the Grust solders put him on a canoe thinking he was death. Soon drifting all the way to Valentia. It feels like reading the middle chapter in a trilogy  after completing the first and last book. As unit, he is decent but I prefer Mathilda

Saber: Celica's protector, I find him to be decent as a character, but hold no fondness for. But I do appreciate him for disagreeing with Celica's ideas. As a unit , I find him to be the best mercenary in Celica's route, all the way to the endgame.

Desaix: A boss that Alm fights two times. Despite him playing major early role in the story. I find nothing interesting about him. Only he is a evil  Baron/ General, and here are so many of them in the series.

20 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

I'm not sure what this in reference to. If you mean the Fern man, my main issue with the dude is entirely with the framing of his behavior and not necessarily that he's such a douche to start with.

A douche for understandable reasons...

13 hours ago, Thane said:

Desaix

I would comment on the body double nonsense and how that was utterly pointless in the grand scheme of the plot, but this game has so many of those odd moments that I feel like I'd just sound like a broken record.

He didn't get beaten wtf. Desaix was just a coward and fled. Also Zofian soldiers were addressed to be way weaker than Rigelian ones sooooo

He's supposed to be nothing more than a cartoon villain with his own ideals and doesn't overstay his welcome. 

At least he's evil for a reason (lust for power) tho.

Day 11 is now over, and with that, we are now onto Day 12.

Today's characters that we will discuss are Kliff, Palla, and Grieth*.

What is your opinion on these three characters?

I will give my thoughts on them later.

*Due to the majority of the poll participants picking yes to the question about Grieth, as well as considering Ertrick36's feedback, I decided we will go through with discussing Grieth.

Edited by Erureido

Kliff: A loner who's not portrayed in a bad light for preferring his own company, and is still capable of having friends. This is a good character.

Palla: The big, reliable sister who's actually not reliable at all because she's the worst of the three sisters should you train them all up (and why would I not?). I guess the older sister with long green hair doesn't turn out for me (Syrene, Fiora, Palla...). I'd also say she's the least interesting of the three Whitewings.

Grieth: You want to be memorable? Be hammy! Be a sudden challenge that can't be trivialised by the tools you've been trivialising the route with so far! Share some insightful comments when you get killed! Be a freaking pirate ninja better than Saber is! This man tied for bottom in CYL for the Gaiden cast, and there's no way I'm seeing that happen again- the man is just too fun.

Kliff: Kliff is like Genny in that he's a character I wish we got more of. What they do show of him is good, but ultimately it isn't a whole lot. And unlike several of the other characters with only one support and less story importance, Kliff seemed to lag behind most of the others as a unit. I use him because I like what they do show, but I really wish there was more. I like his design, it suits his character well.

Palla: The oldest of the pegasus sister trio, and...honestly there isn't much to say about her. She acts like an older sister who's concerned for her siblings, she functions well as a unit and, like her sisters, I like her design a lot.

Greith: He's probably the least memorable of all the villains in Echoes. Does he serve his purpose? Yes. Do you get Est and/or Deen/Sonya because of him? Yes. That's about it.

Kliff: He's a nice guy. Bit of a friendly jerk. He's my least favorite Ram Villager but only out of necessity. Someone has to be the least favorite after all. But he's an alright character. As a unit, in my first run i made him a Mage and he was decent. In my second run, i made him an Archer and he was amazing. He (along with Gray) were my MVPs in the Thabes Labyrinth. Pathia's Trance Shot is OP.

Also, i can't help but think his "let's all get impaled on the same lance" quote in the beginning of Act 1 is a reference to his death in the Gaiden manga.

Palla: She's alright. Even in the Archanea games, i didn't pay too much attention to her. She's an alright character though. As a unit, she's the easiest of the Whitewings to train up. And once she becomes a Falcoknight, she wrecks Terrors.

Grieth: I actually remember him due to his death quote. "There's gonna be another me....there's always another me." Other than that, he put up a good fight. His map was decent too, because despite having desert, there wasn't a whole lot of desert.

Edited by Armagon

Kliff: I like his Gaiden incarnation better.

Palla: My FE waifu so no complaints. There is a good dynamic between her and her sisters. I really like it.

Grieth: Eh, he's a villain. I like his death quote, but other than that... yeah, he's just a villain. Nothing really special about him, other than being a bitch to beat.

Also screw deadlines

Zeke: Camus is handsome, best looking character, would bang 10/10. I was surprised to hear his voice. Not disappointed, just surprised by how... low it sounded. 

Kliff: In my playthrough I classed him as a mage. Mostly used him up to the point to getting Delthea. He his a decent character, just for some reason I can't remember much about him. Due to not appearing often in villages and having one support. Why do I think he had a son with Linde after the end?

Palla: The third game I used her and my favorite of the Whitewings. Due to her calm personality and less investment compared to her siblings. But she hold her feeling to herself about Abel and the locket of her mother.

Grieth: A pirate boss in one of the defensive chapters in the game. Nothing more.

7 hours ago, Thane said:

Don't you mean "destiny"?

Don't you put any stock in this destiny hogwash!

7 hours ago, Thane said:

CHEESE, FOR EVERYONE!

Wait, scratch that.  Cheese for no one.  We still gotta talk about the other characters, after all.

1 hour ago, Erureido said:

Due to the majority of the poll participants picking yes to the question about Grieth, as well as considering Ertrick36's feedback, I decided we will go through with discussing Grieth.

Aw shucks, you're makin' me blush for you caring.  Or at least you're thawing my cold, dead, overly critical heart.

Anyway, new characters have been ordered on Amazon, and 'cuz we got Prime, they have just been delivered.  Time to open up these packages!

Kliff Briscoe

Spoiler

Funny story: the guy I'm referencing in this joke is the guy in Fallout New Vegas who sells T-Rex figurines in Novac, and my friends all said he sounds and looks just like Obama for some reason.  Now I can't get the image of Obama sitting in this T-Rex belly selling T-Rex figurines out of my head.

Kliff's less interactive than the other two villagers, so he doesn't get all that much to him.  But from what characterization we get from him, it's easy to see why.  His lack of supports are actually consistent with him being anti-social.  He only cares to interact with anyone at all because Tobin was insisting on chatting with him.  In a way, it speaks louder than dozens of supports ever could.

And I sort of relate to him in a way.  A lot of people get irritating to me.  Of course, a lot of it has to do with... social media in the current political climate...  But still, he's relatable.  I certainly don't feel hopped up to try to get involved in a lot of conversations on social media, that's for sure.  And I'm naturally introverted, so I'm not gonna start a lot of conversations out in public.

Tame Impalla

Spoiler

Second best Whitewing imo.  Thought her name was pronounced "Paul-la" for the longest time...

More and more, I'm finding myself relating to her due to me having to teach my brother how to drive.  And sometimes clean after him, and then nag on him about it.  Fairly typical mother hen, she's always trying to get at the root of the other sisters' problems.  Though with Est in particular, her... deep forbidden secrets sometimes are expressed in her being particularly aggressive with training.

In this game, though, her supports mostly focus on her being the mother hen.  Though between the lines, there are undertones in both supports about the sisters' love lives, which is quite amusing for those who know a lot about the Whitewings.  It also indicates a bit of tension buried deep underneath the surface for her.  I like her struggle between caring for Est and crushing on Est's lover, and how she copes with that.  It's actually a little sad, what she says in the final base convo...

Well, I wouldn’t say there’s no one. Though I expect I’ll take my feelings with me into the cold earth. Giving voice to them would only hurt those who I hold most dear.

Poor Palla, man :sob:

The Five Stages of Grieth

Spoiler

Okay, that's a joke, but it actually is a pretty good representation of how it felt during the approach to this guy.

Honestly, I like this guy more than I like a lot of the more major villains.  He's pretty cartoonish, but in a sort of Christopher Walken way.  Like, he overreacts to everything, and the guy delivering his lines really gives it his all.  Not only that, but he was a fairly successful villain for simply being a pirate dude, having his influence reach a sizable portion of Zofia.  And smart enough to try to work with the strongest leaders, opting to attempt to hand Celica to Rigel instead of to Desaix like Desaix wanted him to so that he could sit comfortably in his Citadel after Rigel would supposedly crush the Zofians.

He's memorable, and not in a bad way.  Actually, nevermind; the desert levels were all bitches.  So I'll remember him for his overacting and for being the pain in the ass he was to fight.  At least I killed him with a smile on my face that wasn't born out of disdain for him being terribly written.

Kliff

I wish they did more with him. He seems to be the only one who attended a school, so why not talk a bit more why that is the case? Is his family richer than most in Ram? Did he get some kind of scholarship? 

Regardless, he's only got one support and it's one of the worse ones. It shows Tobin in a pretty good light, but Kliff comes across as a little too hostile for a withdrawn character for him to still be sympathetic. 

Not a bad kid, but there isn't much to say about him either.

Palla

Gorgeous design, silky smooth voice...and a personality that can pretty much be boiled down to "big sister". There's not necessarily anything wrong with that, but I wish we got to know more about her and what makes her tick. We almost approach that territory with the talk about Abel, but it leads nowhere.

Kliff

I was a bit surprised when we found out Kliff's personality. His design made him seem like a shy nerd and perhaps the little bro figure among the villagers. But when it was time for him to speak Kliff turned out to be....quite an asshole actually. He's not really the Soren type either who speaks harshly but has a point most of the time. Kliff just seems rude and hostile for no reason and I tend not to like those characters.

His design is still good and I found him a very useful mage. 

Palla

First time I ever cared about Palla. Look, Shadow dragon, if you actually give me something to work with I might like your characters!

Palla comes off as a nice girl. Calm, helpful, protective and doting of her siblings. Her voice really suits her and she generally comes off as very reliable. She also handles the Abel situation quite well. I guess it speaks for Palla that she's willing to take a hit for Est, its just that Est ends up being quite ungrateful and ditching Abel anyway. That conversation with Palla afterwords must have been awkward. 

I'm not entirely sure on her design. On one hand I really like it. It on an appealing middle ground between cute and attractive but I also miss the more mature lady resembling Sigrun or even Palutena that we saw in Shadow Dragon. She may look a bit too young. 

Grieth

I really like the concept of Grieth. He's about the only bandit in the series who is a big player in the world. He practically owns half of Zophia by the time the story begins. I don't think the insanity suits him. It would have been better if he was a purely business orientated ruler. 
He also is the boss of my favorite map in the game so that's a big plus for him.

Kliff: A good unit when made a mage. His support with Tobin was interesting. Not much else to say.

Palla: I tried training all three Whitewings, but ended up just training Catria. Palla was alright in the chapters that I used her.

Grieth: IS; if you really want more major bandit villains, this is how. He has almost half of Zofia under his thumb, he helps illustrate how negligent the King's leadership was, his presence is felt almost from the first time you encounter pirates in chapter 2, and he (somewhat) lives up to that menacing presence. He actually felt like a real threat, unlike Desaix. He's not as memorable as he could've been, due to the number of recurring/major villains in the game, but this is a pirate boss done well.

Edited by vanguard333