Should there be a new weapon type?

No. I think what there already is is perfectly suitable.

The only "new" thing I would like is the re-split of magic into Light, Dark, and Anima, much like in the GBA games. And that isn't new, so...

Fists would actually be unironically sick though.

Depends on how varied the weapon is and how well it fits into everything imo. I'd say just revamp hidden weapons and keep those though if it were up to me. Or fists.

One idea I just came up with for a new weapon type: chain weapons. Flails were actually used in the middle ages; just not very often. The chains were actually quite short, and the weights were quite small; nowhere near as large as they often are in video games. For Fire Emblem, I would suggest that the chains be long, but the weights be the size they were historically. They would be called flails. They would have high might, ignore shields if they exist in the game (as the chain can just go around the shield; one reason they were used historically), but have less accuracy. These are the five versions I came up with:

The standard three: iron flail, steel flail, silver flail. The weights would be cylindrical like they often were historically.

Ball & Chain/Morningstar: a flail with a distinct round weight with spikes (the name Morningstar actually refers to the spiked head, not the flail). Effective against armoured opponents

Bullwhip: a leather whip. Low might, but higher accuracy. They could make it effective against monsters, but I suspect Konami would sue.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

One idea I just came up with for a new weapon type: chain weapons. Flails were actually used in the middle ages; just not very often. The chains were actually quite short, and the weights were quite small; nowhere near as large as they often are in video games. For Fire Emblem, I would suggest that the chains be long, but the weights be the size they were historically. They would be called flails. They would have high might, ignore shields if they exist in the game (as the chain can just go around the shield; one reason they were used historically), but have less accuracy. These are the five versions I came up with:

The standard three: iron flail, steel flail, silver flail. The weights would be cylindrical like they often were historically.

Ball & Chain/Morningstar: a flail with a distinct round weight with spikes (the name Morningstar actually refers to the spiked head, not the flail). Effective against armoured opponents

Bullwhip: a leather whip. Low might, but higher accuracy. They could make it effective against monsters, but I suspect Konami would sue.

Ooo! Flail weapons would actually be cool to see! It'd be difficult to animate, but man it would be interesting to see what flails could do.

I was going to say there aren't any weapons that IS hasn't done, but then somebody brought up fists and I would just love to see that. It could be the character's default attack if they don't have a weapon equipped or if it breaks. It would be completely useless against any armored units because no fist is actually going to be able to harm someone in armor, and its actual might would be dependent on the characters strength when they are using it. I was thinking it would be like their current strength stat divided in half. The attack itself wouldn't really be very useful, but just be there as a funny joke weapon sort of.

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

This would be amazing though.

17 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

I was going to say there aren't any weapons that IS hasn't done, but then somebody brought up fists and I would just love to see that. It could be the character's default attack if they don't have a weapon equipped or if it breaks. It would be completely useless against any armored units because no fist is actually going to be able to harm someone in armor, and its actual might would be dependent on the characters strength when they are using it. I was thinking it would be like their current strength stat divided in half. The attack itself wouldn't really be very useful, but just be there as a funny joke weapon sort of.

Funny enough, punching would be useless against armour, but hand-to-hand combat was actually used to a great extent against armoured opponents in the middle ages. One of the few ways a person could bring down an armoured knight was by grappling and wrestling the opponent to the ground, then usually drawing a knife and shoving it into the knight's face (though often the knight would be captured alive to be ransomed).

Also, there are a few things they could do to weaponize fists: one idea would be gauntlets (iron gauntlet, steel gauntlet, etc.). Another would be through a roman gladiatorial weapon called a cestus: basically a spiked boxing glove. It wouldn't be very practical, but it wouldn't be the first time a Nintendo character was armed with a metal glove.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:32 PM, MetalAmethyst said:

Ooo! Flail weapons would actually be cool to see! It'd be difficult to animate, but man it would be interesting to see what flails could do.

Thanks. Yeah there would be some difficulties with animating. But Nintendo has used flail weapons in games before, so I think they might be able to do so in Fire Emblem as well.

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Funny enough, punching would be useless against armour, but hand-to-hand combat was actually used to a great extent against armoured opponents in the middle ages. One of the few ways a person could bring down an armoured knight was by grappling and wrestling the opponent to the ground, then usually drawing a knife and shoving it into the knight's face (though often the knight would be captured alive to be ransomed).

Also, there are a few things they could do to weaponize fists: one idea would be gauntlets (iron gauntlet, steel gauntlet, etc.). Another would be through a roman gladiatorial weapon called a cestus: basically a spiked boxing glove. It wouldn't be very practical, but it wouldn't be the first time a Nintendo character was armed with a metal glove.

Thanks. Yeah there would be some difficulties with animating. But Nintendo has used flail weapons in games before, so I think they might be able to do so in Fire Emblem as well.

I think hand-to-hand combat would be an interesting mechanic if done properly. Perhaps certain classes can have a command where they can grapple another unit, whether to combat or capture them? And if that's the case, you could potentially gain extra g if you capture a few for ransom (there should be a limit to how many units you can capture on one map; 2 or 3 max). Or you can just recruit them like in Fates.

A cestus or gauntlet would be an excellent idea for a new weapon! It could work like the fists weapon that the Faceless have, but with a bit more oomph.

I'd like to see a return of Anima/Dark/Light, crossbows and hidden weapons. Crossbows could have their damage calculated by skill instead of strength and hidden weapons could be divided into 1 range daggers that prevent counter attacks and 2 range knives that debuff enemies.

For new weapons, I could see guns happening if it's a Renaissance level era. I envision them being 1-2 range, not being able to double but having a high crit rate. They could use bayonets as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont see new weapon types coming in, as it would mess with the concept of the Weapon Triangle too much, but I can see somekind of subtype being a thing. For example Flails, Maces, and Polearms being added into Axes, kind of like how Crossbows are considered a bow.

As far as fire arms go, only if it fits. I think it would be really cool to have a technologically advanced kingdom that has things like limited fire arms, cannons, airships, etc.

I'll throw my own hat into the ring, as it were.

1) Poleaxes. These would have the range of a lance, the power of an axe, and the versatility of a sword, thus making them a melee weapon that is not affected by the weapons triangle.

2) Muskets. These primitive guns would have terrible accuracy and be unable to perform follow up attacks (so they're basically worse bows) but literally anyone can use them (this is why guns were useful in the middle ages)

3) AOE wind tomes. OK, maybe this is a little OP. Basically, these times would have pathetic MT, but they would hit all allies and enemies next to the foe, as well as the foe itself. Like ballistae is Fates.

4) More hidden weapons. There could be 3 types of hidden weapon: daggers, that deal straight damage; shuriken, which inflict debuffs, particularly to the opponent's defences; and chains, which were discussed above and could have various jank properties like, chains sealing attack (the chain gets wrapped around the enemy's weapon), spikes on chains piercing defences like Luna tomes, whips making noise to distract other enemies and having a high crit rate, and nunchucks having the brave effect (extra attacks)

On 8/14/2017 at 5:42 AM, Dragoncat said:

I think they've covered pretty much every medieval weapon already?

Not exactly. Maces have still not being used and I'm talking about the one tied with a chain ball.

Then there are whips as well. Not exactly sure how dangerous whips are in battle though.

Also, while FE1 did introduce baliticians, FE as of now has no vehicle tied with weapons like say chariots?

Not sure if cannons can be mentioned due to FE being medieval here....

In terms of Swords....there are some but its pretty redundant unless needed for gameplay reasons such as the Bokken, Falacta etc.

But if you ask me, just because they did everything doesn't mean they should just stop with that. It all comes down to the imagination side of things and since FE is mostly fantasy, variation is highly encouraged regardless of how ridiculous it ends up being. 

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Not exactly. Maces have still not being used and I'm talking about the one tied with a chain ball.

You're thinking of flails. Maces are the weapon without the chain. Neither really has been used in Fire Emblem (Fates used the kanabo club, but that's different), and they would be nice to see. Maces were anti-armour weapons like war hammers. Flails fulfilled a similar role, but also had the advantage of being able to work around shields thanks to the chain.

Flails would especially be great if shields ever return, as they could halve or negate the defence bonus from the shields for the reason I already mentioned.

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Then there are whips as well. Not exactly sure how dangerous whips are in battle though.

As far as whips are concerned, they're not very good weapons of war, so they could act as a joke version of a flail, or as an anti-animal (cavalry, beast laguz, etc.) weapon.

• 10 months later...