How do we make his games great again?

Akabon

don't fix what isn't broke

But honestly, I would be sad to see ANOTHER console generation of bomberman games be met with indifference. Bomberman games should be seen as a multiplayer spectcacle on the same footing as mario kart or smash bros. bomb jumping

The standard mode of bomberman's should still be good, but the default power-up frequency and set has not been restored to he levels it had in saturn games, or at least the 4th gen SNES or turbografx setup. It's also possible that co-op of the puzzle story / score attack of things like Saturn/Super Bomberman could be made more energetic, preferably by say, cylcing through mini-competetions between the players ala Rampage or something. 

Finally there is the option of "wild experimentation". When things like Bomberman Hero were made in the 90s, they had no chance because they were one platformer among many. Things like generations/jetters would be even more mediocre. However, although no such 1P was amazing, some of them had spurts of creative ideas, such as using the bombs to bounce or as platform tools rather than weapons. It's not like creative games can't be made around the use of bombs, look at Silent Bomber (PS1) for example. They mistakes of 1999-2002 bomberman was making generic platformer/action games with bombs as a tool, rather than making bombs the core focus.  The multiplayer modes of said games were functional, but if their "main mode" had been worth something in the first place, they would have added longevity to a game that scored at least average. It would probbably even be possible to make a puzzle-esque 1P game entirely around bomb jumping, and with a singular focus it could be made to stand out (bomb jumping in metroid is a tool among many, but in a game all about it could upscaled to multi-story jumps). Of course this has the disadvantage, even if done well, of probbably using different physics than the classic multiplayer mode, while a Saturn/Super bomberman kind of story would be more distinctly a "bomberman" game in all areas.

Make another game like Saturn Bomberman!  Saturn Bomberman is my favorite Bomberman game because it was so colorful, fun, and just entertaining.  I miss the Tirras and being to have them get bigger by collecting more eggs.  The stages were really fun and different too which is something I really enjoyed.  It was a really fun multiplayer experience and even the campaign was alright in my book.  Then again, I don't play Bomberman for the campaign..

I will admit that Bomberman Live was decent, but that's about it.  Just decent.  I think I only enjoyed it for the slight customization it had.  Outside of that it didn't add anything that I can remember to the series.

What do you mean 'we'? 'We' aren't the developers of Bomberman games, all 'we' can do is play a new release with an open mind and hope it gets a good reputation and sells enough.

Personally I'm interested in Bombergirl and hope it gets a release state side.

On 8/14/2017 at 11:40 PM, MediocreLee said:

Make another game like Saturn Bomberman!  Saturn Bomberman is my favorite Bomberman game because it was so colorful, fun, and just entertaining.  I miss the Tirras and being to have them get bigger by collecting more eggs.  The stages were really fun and different too which is something I really enjoyed.  It was a really fun multiplayer experience and even the campaign was alright in my book.  Then again, I don't play Bomberman for the campaign..

I will admit that Bomberman Live was decent, but that's about it.  Just decent.  I think I only enjoyed it for the slight customization it had.  Outside of that it didn't add anything that I can remember to the series.

Wasn't there a bomberman on the 360 that tried to make the series really serious and edgy or something, I forget what it's called but I remember it did REALLY bad.

52 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Wasn't there a bomberman on the 360 that tried to make the series really serious and edgy or something, I forget what it's called but I remember it did REALLY bad.

Yeah, Bomberman Act Zero did pretty badly.  Until ProtonJon pretty much single-handedly brought it back when he held a tournament for it on his streams.

I like the open-world "Zelda esque" gameplay of the GBA Bomberman games (I forgot their names). I also think the standard mode could be revamped a bit by adding special abilities to your characters, puzzles (or just a dynamic level design with more things to do than explode crates, find the exit, kill everyone and leave), a challenge mode and a standard multiplayer mode (which probably has been done already). My problem with Bomberman is that it keeps using the same old formula again and again and it became boring to me already, but I used to love it when I was a kid.

I can already think of a Bomberman game. It justs needs a generic story like "hey there are rogue Bombermen doing rogue Bombermen things in other planets, and you're the closest thing to a space patroller, so go and take care of them" (again) as an excuse for having multiple planets and giving the player the ability to choose where he wants to go. Each planet would have a theme (jungle, ice, molten, sand, water, magical flying islands), and its stages (and bosses) would also be themed after those planets. It'd have stage hazards based on said themes, bosses with unique abilities related to said themes, and even augments to the main character's abilities based on the bosses. Beating them all unlocks the final planet, where all the stage themes and hazards are clustered together in a marathon of stages until the player gets to the final boss. And that's it for the main game.

A new Bomberman racing game like the PS1 one, but with better gameplay, graphics and more focus on hazards along the roads would be welcome too. I'd love to play a game like that on a 3DS or Switch.