Fire Emblem 4 Echoes Ideas

NewTypeEldie

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Reduce the amount of telling compared to the amount shown, so much of the game's lore is told.I want to see for myself Ishtar saving the kids rather than a person inform me.

I really like this and I'm surprised that no one else brought it up before. A lot of subtle details can be made more poignant with the ability to witness them as opposed to being informed after it happens.

Don't make the villains hold all the power. For majority of the story, Manfroy and Julius hold all the cards. Able to successfully manipulate almost the entire continent. It cheapen  Sigurd and Seliph's journey when they don't stand a chance from the start.

I think you're missing the point here. It's not uncommon for protagonists to fight an uphill battle against a really powerful foe and that's what the second generation depicts. They don't stand a chance from the beginning but they earn their place and overcome these threats in the end anyway. It makes the story more grand.

Reduce the plot armor from the villains, Manfroy is one of the most ridiculous antagonists in the series, the only reason his plan succeeded was because the story wanted him to. How did he captured Deirdre, because the plot wanted it, and the list goes on.

Once again I think you missed the point. It's not that Manfroy has plot armor, in fact no one even gets the chance to fight him until the final chapter. His plan succeeded because it was unbelievably complicated and flexible enough to take advantage of Sigurd's victories in Verdane and Agustria. He's really one of the smartest antagonists given the fact that he flips all of the protagonist's achievements on their head. He could benefit from a stronger motive, however. He seems stereotypically evil just for the sake of it.

Change Lewyn completely 

As one of the best characters in FE4, I'm confused as to what you don't like about him. His appearance in gen 2 is, although weaker in some aspects, still considerably interesting given the fact that it might not even be him.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, GreatHylian said:

I think you're missing the point here. It's not uncommon for protagonists to fight an uphill battle against a really powerful foe and that's what the second generation depicts. They don't stand a chance from the beginning but they earn their place and overcome these threats in the end anyway. It makes the story more grand.

The point I'm making here is that  Arvis smuggled Tyrfing to us and set up the final chapter so we could win. Not because Seliph outsmarted the villains or through the power of friendship. Because Arvis wanted to lose, if he didn't do that, Seliph would have little chance fighting Julius.

23 minutes ago, GreatHylian said:

Once again I think you missed the point. It's not that Manfroy has plot armor, in fact no one even gets the chance to fight him until the final chapter. His plan succeeded because it was unbelievably complicated and flexible enough to take advantage of Sigurd's victories in Verdane and Agustria. He's really one of the smartest antagonists given the fact that he flips all of the protagonist's achievements on their head. He could benefit from a stronger motive, however. He seems stereotypically evil just for the sake of it.

From my perspective, Manfroy has a stranglehold on this game’s plot. Majority of the events in the game are because of Manfroy. He has the power to kidnap Julia and Deirdre only need their location, and nothing bad happens to his entire plan until Seliph arrives in the final chapter. At least there could have been setbacks to his schemes.

33 minutes ago, GreatHylian said:

As one of the best characters in FE4, I'm confused as to what you don't like about him. His appearance in gen 2 is, although weaker in some aspects, still considerably interesting given the fact that it might not even be him.

Most of my problems with Lewyn come from the second generation. where he hasn’t done anything besides point us in a few directions. And keeping so much of his plan hidden. With him, at the last minute, abandons both his kids, leaving them to rule Silesia, with no experience, without him.

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

From my perspective, Manfroy has a stranglehold on this game’s plot. Majority of the events in the game are because of Manfroy. He has the power to kidnap Julia and Deirdre only need their location, and nothing bad happens to his entire plan until Seliph arrives in the final chapter. At least there could have been setbacks to his schemes.

Now I get what you mean. You are right in saying that there are no setbacks but honestly if we had more dialogue with him and his scheming, there would be a better understanding of his plot. Sigurd could be considered a setback but we never get to see Manfroy's reaction to Sigurd's exploits. His scheme could use more fleshing out in the game.

The point I'm making here is that  Arvis smuggled Tyrfing to us and set up the final chapter so we could win. Not because Seliph outsmarted the villains or through the power of friendship. Because Arvis wanted to lose, if he didn't do that, Seliph would have little chance fighting Julius.

There is truth here, although I let it slide as Arvis trying to redeem himself in the end. This can go either way depending on what you expect of Arvis as a character.

Most of my problems with Lewyn come from the second generation. where he hasn’t done anything besides point us in a few directions. And keeping so much of his plan hidden. With him, at the last minute, abandons both his kids, leaving them to rule Silesia, with no experience, without him.

Like I said before, that isn't really Lewyn. It's most likely Forseti controlling his body, much like how Loptyr controls Julius.

Honestly, what I'd love most from an FE4 remake would be the opportunity to recruit Arion and Ishtar (ideally, Julius too but that may be pushing it a little bit in terms of plot...), and as others have mentioned before, have cutscenes and such that would show various actions (like Jingle Jangle mentions about Ishtar). I think we can put most of that down to limitations back in the SNES era, so I assume a remake would do better from this standpoint.

I think it'd be great to keep the maps as large as they are (tweaking as needed, of course), because with the updated systems introduced in newer FE games (plus a casual mode for the cowards like me) it'd be easier to handle in the long term -- would definitely need some more things to interact with placed about, though. I think a "home base" would be of benefit too (something like Radiant Dawn's?) for proper supports and maybe info conversations. I think with the amount of plot going on in FE4, it'd definitely benefit from something akin to the info conversations. Also... A calendar like Echoes'. So much happens and it's a little hard to keep up with in terms of the flow of time.

It'd be a lot of writing, but full supports for every possible match-up would be amazing. Some pairs definitely got the short end of the stick compared to others. In that same vein, it'd be nice if inheritance was tweaked a bit so more pairs could be viable, though stats definitely aren't my strong point so I'm not sure how. And maybe have units without holy blood also be a bit more viable...

Lastly, and this is definitely pushing it, I'd love it if we could recruit substitutes along with descendants, maybe from "paralogues" or something. Maybe limit the number you can recruit so the army doesn't get too huge, but I think the subs deserve some more love. 

8 hours ago, sumirufus said:

Honestly, what I'd love most from an FE4 remake would be the opportunity to recruit Arion and Ishtar (ideally, Julius too but that may be pushing it a little bit in terms of plot...), and as others have mentioned before, have cutscenes and such that would show various actions (like Jingle Jangle mentions about Ishtar). I think we can put most of that down to limitations back in the SNES era, so I assume a remake would do better from this standpoint.

I think it'd be great to keep the maps as large as they are (tweaking as needed, of course), because with the updated systems introduced in newer FE games (plus a casual mode for the cowards like me) it'd be easier to handle in the long term -- would definitely need some more things to interact with placed about, though. I think a "home base" would be of benefit too (something like Radiant Dawn's?) for proper supports and maybe info conversations. I think with the amount of plot going on in FE4, it'd definitely benefit from something akin to the info conversations. Also... A calendar like Echoes'. So much happens and it's a little hard to keep up with in terms of the flow of time.

It'd be a lot of writing, but full supports for every possible match-up would be amazing. Some pairs definitely got the short end of the stick compared to others. In that same vein, it'd be nice if inheritance was tweaked a bit so more pairs could be viable, though stats definitely aren't my strong point so I'm not sure how. And maybe have units without holy blood also be a bit more viable...

Lastly, and this is definitely pushing it, I'd love it if we could recruit substitutes along with descendants, maybe from "paralogues" or something. Maybe limit the number you can recruit so the army doesn't get too huge, but I think the subs deserve some more love. 

I don't think the casual mode would work well with the * Rank Staff

Edited by hanhnn

A few things I would like to see out of a remake are:

1) Helswath is obtainable and useable by Ulster perhaps due to Hero being slightly reworked to where it can use both swords and axes as it does in the GBA games and onwards. It rather bugs me that you get to use the Tyrfang, Balmung, Myseltainn, Gae'Bolg etc and the one legendary axe in the game cannot be obtained or used by anyone.

2) The money cap is higher than 50,000

3) Substitutes such as Tristan, Craidne and Dalvin are recruitable even if you have their counterparts

4) Arion is playable when Alteana recruits him.

5) I would like a trade system but it's possible this might change the experience of FE4 too much which is not something I would want. 

6) I would like it if whenever you're assaulting a castle you are taken to an indoor castle map like in the GBA games instead of merely killing the one guy guarding the castle and seize. No, you have to work for it, you need to enter the castle itself defeat the forces in there, kill the boss and then you can seize the castle.

7) For Gen 2 I would like to see some of the characters original to FE5 such as Dagdaar, Orsin etc maybe they are with Leif when Seliph teams up with him. Obviously not every character from FE5 but it would be nice to see a few of the more prominent ones from that game.

8) Since Sigurd's father Byron is in the Master Knight class I would like it if Sigurd gets the same promotion or if not maybe some explanation as to why Sigurd doesn't get the same promotion as his father. It puzzled me that Byron is in Master Knight but Sigurd doesn't get to promote to that class.

9) Adjust certain units that usually tend to fall behind so that using them seems more viable. Units such as Arden. I like Arden but using him is incredibly hard to do, by merit of lower movement than the other foot units and of course not doubling. He can get the Pursuit Ring but with his speed it's not going to do him much good.

5 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

6) I would like it if whenever you're assaulting a castle you are taken to an indoor castle map like in the GBA games instead of merely killing the one guy guarding the castle and seize. No, you have to work for it, you need to enter the castle itself defeat the forces in there, kill the boss and then you can seize the castle.

As much as that would be really fun, the issue I see with this is that it would add even more enemies to each chapter and make them even longer than they already are. The way they handle sieges in FE4 is the same as all the other games so I don't mind it as much. I guess a good alternative is to include indoor levels as paralogues or something.

On 8/14/2017 at 2:27 PM, GreatHylian said:

Now that Shadows of Valentia has been released and has found success in Japan and all over the world, it seems like IS wants to continue the "Echoes" sub-series. For now it seems like they're leaning toward remaking Binding Blade but I can still hope that Genealogy of the Holy War will get a glorious and proper remake. Assuming that a Genealogy Echoes will be released, what kind of things do you want to see in it? I have a few ideas:

• Lots and lots of animated cut scenes. GotHW has the best story in FE so I would love to see as much of it developed as possible. Side-stories, flashbacks, all that good stuff.
  • Breaks during the chapters. It not news to anyone that the maps are huge and have a lot of empty space, so breaking them up with cut scenes and a camp or something will make the maps less overwhelming.
  • Add the possibility to get ALL holy weapons. Make it so Lex's kids can inherit Helswath and Azel's kids can get Valflame, etc.
  • Return of the Turnwheel mechanic but obviously with some other lore-friendly gimmick
  • More lovers(support) conversations for all the characters
  • Bonus chapters for other scenarios like Ares retaking Agustria
  • Excellent orchestrations of the OST and new music
  • Fully voice acted(or mostly like SoV)
  • Being able to pair Seliph and Julia without a glitch
  • Adapt that sweet, sweet Eldigan arc from the Oosawa manga

That's what I had in mind, anyone have other thoughts? Ideas? I want to know what other people expect for a game like this.

This would literally be a dream game to me. And the lovers can be chosen through supports by getting an A rank similar to the gba titles. Or S rank to appeal to fans of Fates and Awakening.

17 hours ago, GreatHylian said:

As much as that would be really fun, the issue I see with this is that it would add even more enemies to each chapter and make them even longer than they already are. The way they handle sieges in FE4 is the same as all the other games so I don't mind it as much. I guess a good alternative is to include indoor levels as paralogues or something.

That is true, I had not thought of that. I was thinking more how can castle battles be adjusted so they feel more like you trying to take over a mighty fortress that has strong defenses.

Something I would love to see in a FE4 remake is a forging system similar to the Tellius games, at the same time due to how weapons obtain crit bonuses as you accumulate more kills on it if you could fore say the Iron Sword for instance so that it has 18 might as an example this could possibly break the game. Especially when weapons can be repaired whenever you want and even broken weapons and items can be repaired. So yes I would like to see a forging system in a FE4 remake but it is very possible that it would not work.

• Trading
  • CONVOY/SUPPLY (and at the end of gen 1 ALL ITEMS go to supply)
  • Support conversations with an S support causing marriage (and replacing the weird love system)
  • Easy to recognize mid-battle conversations (like when you selected a character in the 3ds games and saw the ! above someone's head)
  • Balanced legendary weapons (decreased Mt and stat bonuses)
  • Repairs(?) if shops are kept the same then repair should also be in the game, but if shops have an unlimited stock and more availability then repairs should be removed
  • SPLIT UP CHAPTERS
    • Each chapter should be split into several chapters with one seize objective (except in cases where enemies are attacking your castle)
    • Maps do not need to be exact replicas, I think that they could be a little liberal with shrinking the map sizes and splitting 1 chapter into 2 or 3, but doing whatever needs done to still make it close to the older game but with a length that is more enjoyable
    • If this is implemented, you should not be able to deploy every single unit
  • Recruitment of the substitute characters
    • (With a reclass for one of the dancers because we can't have two)

5 hours ago, Logjam said:
  • Trading
  • CONVOY/SUPPLY (and at the end of gen 1 ALL ITEMS go to supply)

Agreed, the inventory system is pretty outdated in FE4 and I think adding trading and a convoy would make the game a bit easier in a good way. 

• Support conversations with an S support causing marriage (and replacing the weird love system)
  • Easy to recognize mid-battle conversations (like when you selected a character in the 3ds games and saw the ! above someone's head)

Also good. SoV pulled it off really well and its honestly the best form of supports we've seen so far so there's no point in taking a step back.

• Balanced legendary weapons (decreased Mt and stat bonuses)
  • Repairs(?) if shops are kept the same then repair should also be in the game, but if shops have an unlimited stock and more availability then repairs should be removed

There are definitely good intentions here but I don't know if nerfing Holy Weapons will improve the game in any way since they're supposed to be really strong. The game balance even plays on this with the Dreadlords. You're also right with repairs but I don't see that being changed at all since SoV used the same item system it already had. 

SPLIT UP CHAPTERS

• Each chapter should be split into several chapters with one seize objective (except in cases where enemies are attacking your castle)
  • Maps do not need to be exact replicas, I think that they could be a little liberal with shrinking the map sizes and splitting 1 chapter into 2 or 3, but doing whatever needs done to still make it close to the older game but with a length that is more enjoyable

Here is where we disagree. The long chapters are a major part of the game's overall design and I think they should stay that way. There are dull zones with no enemies but a little bit of re-balancing or just adding more enemies could fix that. Maybe a mechanic where you can call your units to a recently seized castle would help but that's all up to how the game would be balanced. Also, deploying every unit is something really unique and great about FE4 and we only ever saw that before in Gaiden/SoV for about 99% of the game. Using every unit is pretty rewarding and due to the game's scale, you kind of need to have as many powerful units at once.

Recruitment of the substitute characters

• (With a reclass for one of the dancers because we can't have two)

Definitely agree with adding more characters, possibly in paralogue chapters. This addresses your second point too, since paralogue chapters would use a certain set of characters.

9 minutes ago, GreatHylian said:

There are definitely good intentions here but I don't know if nerfing Holy Weapons will improve the game in any way since they're supposed to be really strong. The game balance even plays on this with the Dreadlords. You're also right with repairs but I don't see that being changed at all since SoV used the same item system it already had.

I appreciate all your feedback, the one thing I would argue about the holy weapons is that if they were nerfed I would say that the dreadlords (and certain bosses) should be nerfed a bit too!

10 minutes ago, Logjam said:

I appreciate all your feedback, the one thing I would argue about the holy weapons is that if they were nerfed I would say that the dreadlords (and certain bosses) should be nerfed a bit too!

Very true! I guess the whole conversation comes down to how IS would want to balance the game to be both easier and accessible yet challenging and fun. 

7 hours ago, Logjam said:

Yeah, the Dead Lords could be nerfed a little bit, and add the feature of spawning out of castle like the Marpha's troops

There are the obvious things like some voice acting, some cut scenes, and transitioning the older love system into something similar to a more modern support system (plus a small selection of non-love supports as well). For the second generation, each of the replacements should have a unique item (like the berserk staff), or a skill that would otherwise be difficult/impossible to get on the child it replaces (like a skill only inheritable from a physical unit onto a magic focused child or vice versa), just to give a little more incentive for getting them. Some tweaks to the skills, mostly let everyone double if they have 5 more Attack Speed,  pursuit just lets them double if they have any more attack speed, let the sword skills affect other weapon types,  allow all units to critical, just every unit without it has half the critical chance. The difference in the weights of weapon types need to be less extreme. I think they should add a few characters, at least to the point that their should be a child capable of wielding an axe (my thought was to add 1 male and 1 female in both generation as well as the replacements needed for gen 2). I think there should be a post-game map covering the civil war in Augustria (with the units involved being those who headed off to Augustria in the ending, some of the otherwise unseen replacement units, with a few additional replacements unique for the map for each possible missing slot [AKA an additional replacement for Inheritor of Augustria's wife, for Dermott and Dermott/Tristan's wife without other obligations, for Nanna without other obligations,  and Lene without other obligations]), and possibly some of the other regions like Verdane, or the Thracian peninsula. If they do have the Julia/Celice pairing, I think they should make it just as esoteric to obtain, that way only people who are looking for it stumble upon it and give those aggressively opposed to it an easier time supporting the game.

Finally I wanted to say I oppose the addition of a Trade mechanic on a story grounds. Both wealth and equipment are personal possessions, the kind of thing one might make into heirlooms that they pass on to their heirs. While cumbersome the equipment system is an integral part of the titular genealogy of the game. That being said I have seen a few idea that might mitigate the issues with it somewhat, first off people should be able to buy weapons they can not use for inheritance reasons. While not in this thread I have seen it elsewhere, let villages give you access to the town, the only trade between spouses/family being another compromise I am OK with, also the previously mentioned mobile pawnshop might work as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't make a full list, but I'll address a few of the things I've seen come up multiple times in the thread:

- A modernized support system would be great, verging on absolutely necessary, I think we (nearly) unanimously agree.

- Do not, do not, DO NOT break up the maps or make them smaller. The main appeal of FE4 is the grand scale of the battles that take place, the multiple armies on the maps at once, the sense that these are countries at war. Yes, there's too much down time at certain points, that's a valid criticism (though I frankly think that a lot of that criticism of this escalates to being melodramatic around here, TBH). If you really want to fix the down time, though, address it by adding a sub-boss here and there for the especially slow segments, or maybe by adding trip-wire bandit/mercenary encounters or something.

- As for the Horse Emblem/balancing issue, just tweak the Move of some of the more sluggish units. Or don't. This is war, bring a horse. Or make bandit incursions against your home base a bigger issue so that there's an additional niche purpose for lower-Move units.

- No avatars, please. Why the ability to insert a simulacrum of yourself into a game has become a must-have selling point for so many people is beyond me.

- Post-game content (or, more realistically, DLC content) of some of the major off-screen events would take the story to a new level.

- I don't know what to do about the lack of a trading system/lack of common funds, but the mechanic fits the royal houses/family heirlooms/bloodline inheritances aspect of the game. Actually, the biggest complaint about the system seems to be that, if the wrong person happens to go to the village/defeat the enemy with the droppable item, it's a headache to give that item to someone else. This could be fixed by simply having a "who gets this item?" prompt upon initially receiving it.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:26 AM, Guy Starwind said:

1. Something like weather conditions could be fun. FE7 did this and I thought it was a nice touch.

No way. It was annoying in FE7, and it'd do nothing but slow things to a crawl here.

On 8/15/2017 at 2:28 AM, Nobody said:

I love how similar to the originals the Fire Emblem remakes are. If they remake FE4, I hope they do the same thing. Now, FE4 is has plenty of flaws and is really broken, but it's still a very enjoyable game. If they managed to turn gaiden into a good game without changing much, I don't see why they wouldn't be able make a even better version of FE4, a game way better received than Gaiden, while staying faithful to the original.

This sounds like naive idealism, and I vehemently disagree - far as I'm concerned, IS only got lucky with Shadows of Valentia, and screwed up royally with Shadow Dragon (which I STILL haven't forgiven, btw). I think that a FE4 remake has a lot of potential to be either a disaster or really amazing - and I think the minimalist approach you're advocating practically ensures it's the former, in addition to pissing off the camp that would want nothing to do with it if it didn't change enough (Hint: This post happens to be by someone who's firmly in that camp!). Of course, there are those that wouldn't have anything to do with it if it changed too much. Which makes me think IS is in a lose-lose situation here.

Anyway, on to changes that would improve the game:

• Get rid of the pawn shop. Why is it a thing when it's a huge step backwards from normal trading, which literally every other game had??? It only serves as a massive inconvenience when a unit winds up getting something they can't use.
  • Tweak the money system. The individual money system is a massive PITA to work around, and too restricting.
  • Rebalance the weapon types. It's obvious something's wrong when fire magic can't even measure up to wind magic in practice...
  • Add healing items. 
  • Get rid of Pursuit. All it does is make those without it automatically worse than those with it.
  • Make infantry units more viable.
  • Nerf holy weapons.
Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

On 2/13/2018 at 2:44 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

No way. It was annoying in FE7, and it'd do nothing but slow things to a crawl here.

This sounds like naive idealism, and I vehemently disagree - far as I'm concerned, IS only got lucky with Shadows of Valentia, and screwed up royally with Shadow Dragon (which I STILL haven't forgiven, btw). I think that a FE4 remake has a lot of potential to be either a disaster or really amazing - and I think the minimalist approach you're advocating practically ensures it's the former, in addition to pissing off the camp that would want nothing to do with it if it didn't change enough (Hint: This post happens to be by someone who's firmly in that camp!). Of course, there are those that wouldn't have anything to do with it if it changed too much. Which makes me think IS is in a lose-lose situation here.

Anyway, on to changes that would improve the game:

• Get rid of the pawn shop. Why is it a thing when it's a huge step backwards from normal trading, which literally every other game had??? It only serves as a massive inconvenience when a unit winds up getting something they can't use.
  • Tweak the money system. The individual money system is a massive PITA to work around, and too restricting.
  • Rebalance the weapon types. It's obvious something's wrong when fire magic can't even measure up to wind magic in practice...
  • Add healing items. 
  • Get rid of Pursuit. All it does is make those without it automatically worse than those with it.
  • Make infantry units more viable.
  • Nerf holy weapons.

I agree with most these changes, but I feel like there could be a way to balance out the game while pursuit is still a skill. Characters with Holy weapons could not have pursuit or something. I wouldn’t mind if they just gave everyone pursuit, but I feel like they could do something interesting with it if they kept it in.

I actually have an idea for rebalancing the horses.

Make use of them have a cost.

Kaga had originally intended for everyone to be able to dismount in the game, but they ran out of space so only Seliph can in the final product. However, something similar, where horses have a not insignificant cost means that those who use horses want to be as precise as they can when galloping off that they don't have too little resources lest they get thrown off or far off from the battle with no way to get there fast enough.

Now I'm not sure what cost should be there, but I just wanted to get the initial thought out there.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great topic with a lot of cool ideas. It's my dream to see this game get a remake as it's my favorite FE game. I would love to see Thracia get a remake as well, but that would probably be an even trickier deal since so many people dislike it for the difficulty and some of the mechanics. 

I wouldn't want to change the maps at all. While it is true that Holy War's map design isn't all that great, it still gives off a sense of adventure with the giant maps. It's the only game that ever made me truly feel like I had explored an entire continent. The large maps also work in context that you are going around and seizing castles. Maybe offer a save point for every seized castle (this game did have a good save system where you could save anywhere in a level). 

There's some glitches that would need to be fixed. The one annoying glitch I hate in Holy War is the one in the arena where it runs out of points to give on a level up. This is something I usually have a problem with in the first generation where the RNG will not give off points upon leveling up in the arena. It's a weird glitch that seems to happen from time to time. 

Fully orchestrated soundtrack would be a plus. Hell, they could even still use the arranged soundtrack from back in the day. These songs still sound amazing, but I want to hear Arvis' theme orchestrated, as well as the Agustria music. At the very least, this is the main song I get nostalgic over. 

More support conversations could be added. I imagine some of the holy weapons would be nerfed and the mechanics could be altered (double attacking would be the big change I'd love to see). I'm OK with each unit having their own income. After years of playing Holy War, I've managed to work around that. The only issue I ever have is in the second generation buying up the Paragon ring for everyone to level up. 

If the remake follows Echoes, I hope to see a similar art style and presentation. Full voice acting would be incredible. I just hope nothing really changes with the story. FE4 has a great story that don't really need to be changed whatsoever, but could have new little subplots added to it and side stories. I would also love to see something like Mila's Turnwheel added to the game, and maybe from that, unlockable support conversations between characters we never get to play as (or even stuff with Lewyn during the 17 year gap between chapter 5 and 6). 

On 2/11/2018 at 10:31 PM, eastcanman said:

I won't make a full list, but I'll address a few of the things I've seen come up multiple times in the thread:

- A modernized support system would be great, verging on absolutely necessary, I think we (nearly) unanimously agree.

- Do not, do not, DO NOT break up the maps or make them smaller. The main appeal of FE4 is the grand scale of the battles that take place, the multiple armies on the maps at once, the sense that these are countries at war. Yes, there's too much down time at certain points, that's a valid criticism (though I frankly think that a lot of that criticism of this escalates to being melodramatic around here, TBH). If you really want to fix the down time, though, address it by adding a sub-boss here and there for the especially slow segments, or maybe by adding trip-wire bandit/mercenary encounters or something.

- As for the Horse Emblem/balancing issue, just tweak the Move of some of the more sluggish units. Or don't. This is war, bring a horse. Or make bandit incursions against your home base a bigger issue so that there's an additional niche purpose for lower-Move units.

- No avatars, please. Why the ability to insert a simulacrum of yourself into a game has become a must-have selling point for so many people is beyond me.

- Post-game content (or, more realistically, DLC content) of some of the major off-screen events would take the story to a new level.

- I don't know what to do about the lack of a trading system/lack of common funds, but the mechanic fits the royal houses/family heirlooms/bloodline inheritances aspect of the game. Actually, the biggest complaint about the system seems to be that, if the wrong person happens to go to the village/defeat the enemy with the droppable item, it's a headache to give that item to someone else. This could be fixed by simply having a "who gets this item?" prompt upon initially receiving it.

100% agree with all of this.

I would hate to see the maps broken up and made smaller. I understand and respect the criticisms towards Holy War's maps cause they're not for everybody, but it's one thing that makes the game so unique. This game made you feel like you had really explored an entire country in a single chapter. If Gaiden's maps weren't altered at all, hopefully Holy War's are kept the same. 

I don't have a problem with the horse mechanics in this game. This game did a good job trying to replicate medieval warfare. Cavalry was extremely important in medieval warfare, so I've never had a problem with the horse stuff. There's still some great units that don't get a horse that most of the critics of this game completely ignore - Ayra, Lewyn, Bridget, Larcei, Shannan, Ced and Faval all come to mind. People also forget that there are some mediocre and straight up forgettable units with horses like Noish, Alec, Midir and Beowolf.

Totally agree on no avatar. They not only hurt the story with the self-inserted Mary Sue, but they're also bad for gameplay purposes. Robin/Chrom and Corrin/Ryoma can pretty much solo most of their respective games. If anyone is soloing Holy War, it's going to be Sigurd for his half and Seliph for the other. 

As for postgame content, I'd like to see a DLC campaign for Agustria. The endgame talks about Ares going home to settle the civil war of his homeland. It would be interesting to play that out as a level with the black knight whom we all love. It could be like a redux of chapter 2 and 3, as well as adding in story material to explain house of Nordion and Agustria's politics.  

Edited by GoldPaladin

Not going to bother reading the five plus pages (yet), so forgive me if someone else has suggested any of these already.

*A Generation 0 where you play as Byron during the Isaac conflict. I want to finally see Prince Kurth in person!

*Movement stars on infantry units. Would make them better as units and just more handy for moving across the map.

*More castle defense elements. It's pushed as something the game has, but there's only like three instances in the entire game where you need to worry about your hom castle, and you always have a warp or return ring to deal with it.

*An avatar(!!!!!). Sacralige! I know. But I want one for a very important reason. Breeding mechanics. I envision you being able to give the Avatar any minor holy blood you want. So by breeding them with certain characters, the offspring can get major holy blood. So if you happen to breed the Avatar with Azel, you can get someone that is able to wield Valflame. Because it just upsets my sense of feng sui that there's holy weapons left completely unavilable to you.

*Axe inheritance. Not sure how it should happen, but it just feels so unfair to axes :(

*I think I'd like it if Pursuit was still a skill, but it just lowered the limit needed to double.

*Work the Holy Weapons into the plot of Gen 2. Because if just feels weird that such things are part of the magical inheritance system. They did it for Tyfring, do it for the others. Plus it means more sub goals in chapters. Save that monk with the Valkyrie staff before the thracians butcher them!

*Make it so you have to choose between the Earth Sword and the Mystletainn. The logic is that if Eldigan is executed, the sword falls into the hands of the lopt sect and beyond Aless' reach. But if Sigurd kills Eldgian, it falls in to Lachesis' hands who eventually gives it to Nanna, who in turn gives it to Aless after he's recruited. I think it would be a good choice to measure short vs long term rewards.

*Give Arden Paragon and a second weapon at base...still wouldn't make him all that useful...but it'd help.

Edited by Jotari

On 3/19/2018 at 5:37 AM, GoldPaladin said:

There's still some great units that don't get a horse that most of the critics of this game completely ignore - Ayra, Lewyn, Bridget, Larcei, Shannan, Ced and Faval all come to mind.

All of whom can consider themselves lucky to contribute in any meaningful fashion because this is Horse Emblem. Unless you're willing to constantly slow down (which gets old quickly, mind you)...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia