Things to Know About FE1 (That Don't Apply to FE3 and FE11)

Randoman

So since I defeated FE1 today, and was compiling a list of things people should know about FE1 (so they don't assume it's just like FE3 Book 1 or FE11), I thought I'd share my list of key things that I compiled. If you can think of any key things that I missed (particularly the ways that FE1 differs from both FE3 Book 1 and FE11), feel free to post them. Also, feel free to comment on the various facts that I post about FE1.

-You can only store 40 items in the Convoy.
-There's actually 2 arenas that you can use in Chapter 17 of FE1
-Ballisticians could only shoot from a range of 2, rather than 3-10. That essentially made Ballisticians like archers with less movement. [That definitely made Ch. 13 much easier, I'll tell you that much]
-Barring using the Amulet (which gives a permanent +7 resistance) or using the M Shield Staff or Pure Water, there's no way to bring your units' resistance higher than 0. Even Pegasus Knights had 0 resistance and promoting units didn't give them any resistance boosts.
-On the topic of resistance, none of the playable magic units are able to proc Power/Magic from level ups. However, using a Power Ring could still boost the Power/Magic of magic users, though this was the only way of doing so.

-Unfortunately, raising the Power of magic units doesn't raise the damage of magic attacks at all [I tested this out with a Merric with 20 Power from secret shop statboosters, and Fire still did single digit damage]

-Resistance caps out at 7, rather than 20. [I confirmed this one by using purchased Amulets from the Ch. 24 secret shop]
-Despite Knights and Generals both existing in FE1, the former didn't promote into the latter. Also, despite both of them being weak against Armorslayers, they were essentially considered different classes (with neither of them promoting from or to a different class).

-Also, despite Generals being generally superior to knights stat-wise, Generals could only use swords while knights could use both swords and lances.
-Healers don't gain experience from using staves, and instead have to gain experience by being attacked by enemy units (they'd gain experience equal to what they would've gain by killing the enemy that attacked them).
-The thieves in certain chapters seemed much less aggressive in pursuing Chest Items (Chapter 15 was the main instance where this happened)
-Thrones don't restore HP? (Well, the one in chapter 17 didn't restore HP to my units, I didn't really check thrones and HP recovery besides the chapter 17 throne)
-(I don't know if this happens in other FEs or not) If arena matches last too long without a winner (even if damage is inflicted), it's considered a draw.
-Arenas sometimes pit enemy archers against your melee units or your mages against enemy archers, leaving them unable to counterattack (and giving you an easy win)
-Iote's Shield didn't exist in FE1 despite it existing in FE3 Book 1 and FE11.
-Mamkutes attacks are weakened by high defense opponents, rather than their attacks piercing through high defense opponents.

Wow, I never actually knew that 7 was the Res cap in FE1. That's actually really interesting.That means Gotoh comes with 4 max stats, damn.

Something else to note is that

-The Ridersbane is only effective against Cavaliers not Paladins. 

-Hunters can't promote into Horsemen.

-The Falchion makes Marth invincible against all non-dragon one range attacks.

-FE1 was the only game to feature the Crossbow.

-Any classes that can use Lances can also use swords.

-Steel Lances, Killer Lances and Silver Axes didn't exist

-Promotion gains worked the same way as in FE2 and Echoes

-The Mercurius is Marth exclusive and allows him to get +2 on level up in certain stats

The Bowgun is really just a killer bow with low might anyway. Another thing no-one has mentioned: you can't sell your items, so you can't get any quick cash out of a Goddess Icon. This doesn't really matter though, since the game showers you with money.

The Marth-dar is worth mentioning and makes the game even more hilariously easy if you take advantage of it. Enemies will attack Marth over anyone else if it's an option. Of course this can get him slaughtered by bows or mages, but it makes for very interesting strategy.

-Item storage can be accessed mid-map through storage houses, and this is necessary if you plan to buy in bulk because there is no "send to convoy" function for shopping. Fortunately, they're quite common.

-It costs 10 Gold to place an item in storage, FWIW.

-Due to a glitch, you can "promote" your Manaketes with a Hero Proof to grant them a permanent +12 Defense per promotion. This is not constrained by the usual 20 stat cap. Good thing Medeus didn't know about this...

Edited by X-Naut

I am about to start FE1 for the first time and so far I have beaten 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. I tried out the first map just to see how it would play and the main annoyance I have is there is no combat forecast. Am I just supposed to use my best judgement or am I missing something? Also, any additional tips for someone new to the earlier games would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the thread, all of that info is very helpful.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:00 AM, EnjolrasMTA said:

FE10 would like to have a word ;)

I mean it's the only Archanea game to feature the Crossbow. This is a thread about stuff in FE1 that isn't in FE3 or FE11.