Nintendo Dream Developer Interview Fully Translated (from July 2017 issue)

They made Faye an archer in Heroes because Heroes needed an archer... but made Tobin a sword unit because... ?

Logic... sound...

Very interesting interview :D It was nice to see the mindset behind everything else there :) That bit did stand out to me, though xD

4 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

They made Faye an archer in Heroes because Heroes needed an archer... but made Tobin a sword unit because... ?

Logic... sound...

My guess is they wanted an archer, and also felt that so far we lacked enough bow girls. We have Clarisse, Rebecca, I Am Not Setsuna, Bride Cordelia and... anyone I'm missing?

Technically they could have held off until SS for Neimi, or Jugdral for Brigid/Tanya, or the 13/14 kids for Noire/Midori, or the next FE6 with Dorothy or Igrene, or SD for Norne, but they chose not to.

In addition, we already have a staffer from SoV in Genny- but to be fair we could use more of those, provided they offered staffers new niches. (And as a side note- maybe they could convert Kamui/Atlas/Jesse/Deen into a Dagger user to expand our pool there.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My guess is they wanted an archer, and also felt that so far we lacked enough bow girls. We have Clarisse, Rebecca, I Am Not Setsuna, Bride Cordelia and... anyone I'm missing?

Technically they could have held off until SS for Neimi, or Jugdral for Brigid/Tanya, or the 13/14 kids for Noire/Midori, or the next FE6 with Dorothy or Igrene, or SD for Norne, but they chose not to.

In addition, we already have a staffer from SoV in Genny- but to be fair we could use more of those, provided they offered staffers new niches. (And as a side note- maybe they could convert Kamui/Atlas/Jesse/Deen into a Dagger user to expand our pool there.)

I didn't mind about the logic with Faye being a bow user, I was more pointing out that they made Tobin - a unit with the most potential for just about any weapon, with bow being the 'default' - into a generic infantry sword user. If they're trying to balance things, wth are they thinking there?

Edited by Cute Chao

14 hours ago, Kirokan said:

Thanks XD They actually clarified that (about the title Echoes and being series) more in-depth in an interview back in April. : )

I'm kind of okay with them not telling us much, since maybe then when they do its release won't be too far off.

With the things I do, I really dread another FE release --because it means a ton of information that needs to be translated and fast. I think I lose a few years of my life everytime! xD

I'd be ok with them not telling us much, but that would imply that they'd give us something more than "It's on the Switch, and it's at least a year away, now sit in the dark." which they haven't so far.

18 hours ago, Harvey said:

Its quite odd that for some reason, you're not an editor in Serenes.... I always thought of you as an important member here the minute an interview shows up.

The one advantage I have by not being an editor is that I am not as obliged to do it... so if there comes a case where I really can't get it done I won't feel (as) bad. xD

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'd be ok with them not telling us much, but that would imply that they'd give us something more than "It's on the Switch, and it's at least a year away, now sit in the dark." which they haven't so far.

Yes, announcing it in general without any info was a little off putting. xD

Thanks Kirokan, as always!

This was a very interesting interview for me. It solidifies my feeling that I got when I was starting up SoV that they were really trying to learn from the reception of Awakening/Fates and the fanbase divide, and I'm glad they made a point to talk about that and how they felt they had to bridge that divide with this game. It makes me hopeful that FE16 will be different and not just copy everything the 3DS games did. 

I agree that this was really "the moment" that Gaiden had to be remade. It wouldn't have fit as well later on the Switch, so I'm glad they chose to remake it when they did, and the care they took really paid off imo.

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

Thanks Kirokan, as always!

This was a very interesting interview for me. It solidifies my feeling that I got when I was starting up SoV that they were really trying to learn from the reception of Awakening/Fates and the fanbase divide, and I'm glad they made a point to talk about that and how they felt they had to bridge that divide with this game. It makes me hopeful that FE16 will be different and not just copy everything the 3DS games did. 

I agree that this was really "the moment" that Gaiden had to be remade. It wouldn't have fit as well later on the Switch, so I'm glad they chose to remake it when they did, and the care they took really paid off imo.

Now I wonder when will be the "right moment" for Genealogy to be remade. I honestly can't help but wonder if they're intentionally avoiding it.

19 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Now I wonder when will be the "right moment" for Genealogy to be remade. I honestly can't help but wonder if they're intentionally avoiding it.

My view is that Genealogy needs two things for its remake to succeed: a suitable home console and a solid enough fanbase where they won't be put off by the darker themes and gameplay quirks. Imo the Switch fulfills the first, being powerful enough to improve on the Wii/3DS engines (because let's face it, Jugdral basically demands feature presentation size remakes), and SoV was sort of a setup for the new fans to experience a game that doesn't have all the qualities of 13/14. I'm pretty certain they could release it to great success after FE16 on the Switch. 

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

Adding to what Book Bro said, it's possible IS is holding off on it because they don't know how the West will recive it. I'm specifically refering to the incest between Arvis and Deidre. Yes, it's part of the plot but i guarantee that will be changed in a potential localization and given how important that is, it'll just ruin the plot for a lot of people (i personally don't care because Jugdral is my least favorite FE series).

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

Adding to what Book Bro said, it's possible IS is holding off on it because they don't know how the West will recive it. I'm specifically refering to the incest between Arvis and Deidre. Yes, it's part of the plot but i guarantee that will be changed in a potential localization and given how important that is, it'll just ruin the plot for a lot of people (i personally don't care because Jugdral is my least favorite FE series).

I wouldn't say it's a guarantee considering other FE games. We still managed to get other controversial elements such as cousin incest (Azura and Corrin), necrophilia implications (Orson), and rape implications (Lady Liprica), with the first being a plot point they could've easily changed since all you need is Mikoto being Vallite Royalty. So they could very well keep the incest between Deirdre and Arvis since it's such a crucial plot point, they just may make it less blatant so it can slip by.

17 hours ago, Medeus said:

I wouldn't say it's a guarantee considering other FE games. We still managed to get other controversial elements such as cousin incest (Azura and Corrin), necrophilia implications (Orson), and rape implications (Lady Liprica), with the first being a plot point they could've easily changed since all you need is Mikoto being Vallite Royalty. So they could very well keep the incest between Deirdre and Arvis since it's such a crucial plot point, they just may make it less blatant so it can slip by.

That's all true. Besides, it's not like we actually get to see these things happen. It's mostly all in text.

Though, that first point particularly infuriates me with how they basically handwave it. They don't even show Corrin and Azura coming to that realization. It's literally never even brought up aside from Mikoto's one mention of it. Kind of makes that plot point pretty lame.

2 hours ago, Kirokan said:

So I updated the front post with a second section being Hidari (character designer)'s commentary on some parts of the game. So please either check the front post or read it on my blog.

Wasn't sure if it needed it's own topic or not, but maybe @VincentASM would like to see it anyway. : )

Really cool. Kind of hope he does more work for FE sometime.