New Monster Hunter World trailers, showing a new desert area and the core gameplay loop

The DanMan

These dropped last night:

Barroth and Diablos make a return, alongside a new bird wyvern named Kulu Ya-Ku, a muddy looking piscine wyvern, and another bird wyvern with chameleon eyes/tongue.
The second trailer was only released for Japan:

Though I still have my share of concerns about the game (map size, dumbing down item animations and the armor skill system) I'm mostly on board with the game.

It's just the core gameplay loop, though you also get to see the town and a couple neat tweaks (you can finally take every item on the rewards screen at once, the visible weapon tree from Gen makes a return).

Believe it or not, I'm actually slightly disappointed to see traditional Monster Hunter gameplay for MHW. I really liked the vibe the E3 demo gave, which seemed to place more emphasis on tracking and outsmarting the monster instead of just whacking it. Would have liked it if players had much less power in their hands compared to normal.

So really, instead of being a spin-off, this is just a regular MH game with extra hurdles, instead of a different take.

English version of the second trailer, narrated by Capcom UK's community manager (spoiler tag malfunction, replies are in alongside the trailer):

1 hour ago, Kazuya said:

Oh good, we are keeping the smart things. This trailer was actually good!

If they had put something like that out at E3 instead of the travesty they did, reactions would've been much more positive. Still want XX, though.

53 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Believe it or not, I'm actually slightly disappointed to see traditional Monster Hunter gameplay for MHW. I really liked the vibe the E3 demo gave, which seemed to place more emphasis on tracking and outsmarting the monster instead of just whacking it. Would have liked it if players had much less power in their hands compared to normal.

So really, instead of being a spin-off, this is just a regular MH game with extra hurdles, instead of a different take.

It's been in development since late 2013 by the core team. They weren't going to completely change things. Honestly, "Monster Hunter" itself is a misnomer; "Monster Slayer" just doesn't sound as cool. The larger maps seem like they'll just make it take longer to get to the monster, and the exploitable environment looks like easy mode almost (with all the status effect causing frogs and environmental traps). 

Edited by The DanMan

20 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's been in development since late 2013 by the core team. They weren't going to completely change things. Honestly, "Monster Hunter" itself is a misnomer; "Monster Slayer" just doesn't sound as cool. The larger maps seem like they'll just make it take longer to get to the monster, and the exploitable environment looks like easy mode almost (with all the status effect causing frogs and environmental traps). 

I actually liked the E3 trailer, and exactly because of how different it looked. I like the MH series, but I was excited by the prospect of a change in direction for this spin-off. Instead of relying on weapons to brutally murder the monster, players would need to use the environment and traps to their advantage instead of the direct offense of the core games. It wouldn't really have been "easy mode", but an entirely different game. At least, that's what the E3 trailer seemed to tease, but clearly that's not the case now.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I actually liked the E3 trailer, and exactly because of how different it looked. I like the MH series, but I was excited by the prospect of a change in direction for this spin-off. Instead of relying on weapons to brutally murder the monster, players would need to use the environment and traps to their advantage instead of the direct offense of the core games. It wouldn't really have been "easy mode", but an entirely different game. At least, that's what the E3 trailer seemed to tease, but clearly that's not the case now.

They still have environmental traps and stuff in-game; that's what I'm talking about. Having all that on top of everything else feels like giving the Hunter way too much; along with all the other tweaks, I just get the feeling this will be the easiest MH game to date.

If a spin-off did that it would be interesting. But they've made it pretty clear from day 1 that World is 5 in all but name (likely so that if it doesn't take off they can backpedal and call the next game 5).

34 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

English version of the second trailer, narrated by Capcom UK's community manager (spoiler tag malfunction, replies are in alongside the trailer):

Hide contents

If they had put something like that out at E3 instead of the travesty they did, reactions would've been much more positive. Still want XX, though.

I wish they made the game look like MH, the GS gameplay they shown was super bad, and so on. I'm liking this footage, so yeah. I'll have to buy me a PS4 for this. :) I too wish we got MHXX but I can import it.

Just now, Kazuya said:

I wish they made the game look like MH, the GS gameplay they shown was super bad, and so on. I'm liking this footage, so yeah. I'll have to buy me a PS4 for this. :) I too wish we got MHXX but I can import it.

Capcom's been edging towards combo GS for a while; they buffed the strong charge and sideways slash in 4U and nerfed the normal charge in Gen. I'd say the days of just charge slashes and evasion are over.

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Capcom's been edging towards combo GS for a while; they buffed the strong charge and sideways slash in 4U and nerfed the normal charge in Gen. I'd say the days of just charge slashes and evasion are over.

I certainly hope that the devs make Charge evade still a thing, though. It's one of the best ways for a lot of players, including me.

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

They still have environmental traps and stuff in-game; that's what I'm talking about. Having all that on top of everything else feels like giving the Hunter way too much; along with all the other tweaks, I just get the feeling this will be the easiest MH game to date.

If a spin-off did that it would be interesting. But they've made it pretty clear from day 1 that World is 5 in all but name (likely so that if it doesn't take off they can backpedal and call the next game 5).

It kinda sucks, but oh well. Won't know for sure until it comes out.

18 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Eh, despite all the changes, charge and evade is still the way to go for maximjm damage with the GS. Brave GS just takes it up to eleven even. The charge slash was nerfed in MHGen likely as an attempt at balance, since GS was fairly clearly a top top tier weapon in 4U, behind the likes of 4U CB and the Bowguns as usual. CB also got gutted.

Monster Hunter World looks interesting with its "open-world" aspect to it. It reminds me somewhat of "Free Hunting" in Tri where one just goes out of the village to mess around on the island. (I only played Monster Hunter Tri, both on the Wii and the upgraded version on the 3DS). Also, I love that the Barroth is back. It was one of my favorite monsters in Tri.

I'll probably try to pick it up for PC whenever it releases since I do not have a Playstation 4 or an Xbox One. It'll be nice to pick up my Gunlance again and blast away monsters to oblivion.

Free hunting was also in 4/4G. I recommend trying 4G. GL sucks butts in X, they broke it to hell, like it sucks. Worst weapon class in the game. XX fixed some of the issues. 

6 hours ago, Kazuya said:

Free hunting was also in 4/4G. I recommend trying 4G. GL sucks butts in X, they broke it to hell, like it sucks. Worst weapon class in the game. XX fixed some of the issues. 

HH is still worse. And honestly, GL's pretty fun in Gen; it just didn't gain as much from styles and arts as most other weapons.

6 hours ago, Sire said:

Monster Hunter World looks interesting with its "open-world" aspect to it. It reminds me somewhat of "Free Hunting" in Tri where one just goes out of the village to mess around on the island. (I only played Monster Hunter Tri, both on the Wii and the upgraded version on the 3DS). Also, I love that the Barroth is back. It was one of my favorite monsters in Tri.

I'll probably try to pick it up for PC whenever it releases since I do not have a Playstation 4 or an Xbox One. It'll be nice to pick up my Gunlance again and blast away monsters to oblivion.

It's not really open world; they just made the areas bigger and "seamless" (there's clear transition zones instead of loading screens).

6 hours ago, Kazuya said:

I would try out more Monster Hunter, but as my (Ambassador!) 3DS has broken L&R buttons, I really won't be able to play them properly. Also, I need to get back to properly finishing 3U whenever I get around to getting a New 3DS (which is competing with getting a Nintendo Switch, among other things).

20 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's not really open world; they just made the areas bigger and "seamless" (there's clear transition zones instead of loading screens).

Either way, the game interests me. I find transition zones better than loading screens since it is a little more immersive, and "true open world" can be difficult to pull off.