Game series that prioritize your backlog?

Ronnie

I'm sure many of us buy many games and as a result we accumulate a hefty backlog. That said is there a game series where if a new game comes out, it prioritizes your backlog instead of sitting in the back of the line?

I'm like that when it comes to Pokémon. It's a series I adore and am most familiar with so I know I can finish it pretty easily and quickly while still enjoying it. Then I can move on to my backlog again.

Any platform series tbh. I remember consciously being this way with Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Even with lesser games I remember dropping everything and playing through completely after getting the platformer from a well intentioned family member (or maybe because of some promotional freebie). I never seem to worry about the pile of CRPGS and puzzle games whenever I have an opportunity to jump over bottomless pits. Just this year I also put off my backlog due to unplanned re-plays of platform games several times ( Rocket:robot on Wheels, Super Mario bros 2. , Raymam Origins, and Sly Cooper) . 

Narrowing it down to series would probbably leave Donkey Kong and Rayman in front. 

Edit- I missed the press for Super Meat Boy 2 The End is Nigh. It's bypassing everything and is going to be the next game I play.

fire emblem tbh, whatever shit i do talk about it fates and echoes both hopped the queue and got done real fast, and i put a bunch of time into heroes the second it dropped.

hypothetically when mechwarrior 5 comes out i will stop playing every other game in my possession until i finish it

Basically any new game I want. I always prioritize new games over ones in the backlog.

To be more specific, Fire Emblem, SMT, Pokemon, Zelda, Dark Souls and related games. But really, any new game I want.

Edited by Nobody

I think of all the franchises I play, FE, Zelda, and GTA are the ones I'll pretty much always buy.  For FE, I'll probably even get whatever spin-offs I can, though if Warriors comes out overseas the same time it does for Japan, then I won't be able to buy it immediately 'cuz I'm kinda strapped for cash.  As for Zelda and GTA, the former doesn't often get good spin-offs (unless people consider Four Swords Adventure a spin-off), and the latter... doesn't really get spin-offs at all (there are the stories games and Chinatown, none of which I got)?  Aside from that, they're all really easy to follow, though I hope FE doesn't get all CoD like with their release windows.

Metal Gear used to be that way until Survive; if it's still a fun game and fixes some of the issues The Phantom Pain had with the open world aspects... then I might buy it, though I want to give Konami as little money as I can because I'm pretty bitter about them letting Kojima go and the direction they're taking Metal Gear (zombie nonsense instead of the usual focus on cool tech, mechs, nukes, and espionage).

I'd be this way with Valkyria Chronicles as well, but there are some problems...  Mainly with how they release their games.  I just wish we could get all of them on PC and here in the States.  The first one was a huge success on Steam, I'm surprised they aren't further pursuing that market.

Aside from that, I just go with the flow.  Whatever game I want at the time, I'll get.  Sometimes I just manage to get all the games from some franchises, but I don't actively pursue them like I do the ones I mentioned.

Backlog? You mean you guys wait until games are finished before moving to a new one?

Well, heck, that's a weird way to do that. I just bounce around all my games as I go - I'm in the middle of rerunning Echoes(my last save got overwritten), Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, two different cartridges of KH 358/2 Days, my latest Awakening runthrough, Shadow Dragon, Code Name STEAM, Conception 2 Children of the Seven Stars, and at least two more but I'd have to go find them again. Usually whenever I get a new game I play that one more than others for about a week or so then go back to bouncing.

For me, it's Fire Emblem. As I still got games from some of my other favorite series in my backlog, Zeldas (hard to go back after the amazement breath of the wild is), God Eater (mostly due to time or me getting a new game for ps4 like Valkyria chronicles), Pokemon (I've beaten most of the games soon after they came out, but after I basically blitzed my way through Alpha sapphire in 2 days *overall, it was beaten that sunday of it's first weekend, but I blame school from preventing me from choosing my starter and my dad forcefully making me go to sleep that night even though I was at Flannery, that and the fact Saturday night I didn't feel like going any further as I was already at the elite 4's doorstep.* Sun took me months to beat as I've been falling out of the series, and I still got ultra beasts to catch, but beyond that, it's mainly me going back and playing some of the older pokemon titles like Yellow, Gold/Silver, Emerald, and trying to finish firered with a semi-decent team *My venusaur can't tank everything despite being over 10 levels higher, at least everyone else is almost mid to high fifties* but yeah, been having a falling out with pokemon and it's taken effect on me) beyond those main ones, probably would be some random games I picked up, like the bravely duo (have yet to start either) some platformers like Mario, Sonic, Mega-Man, and Shovel Knight, and me not starting any of the tales series (I know I know, that's basically a war crime, I do have plans on playing some, just need the time and motivation to) and other random games like finishing Xenoblade, Monster Hunter Generations, Rune Factory 4, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Project X Zone (so tedious compared to the sequel, though Haken and Kaguya have grown immensely on me, and I knew them before I played PXZ, speaking of which) Super Robot Taisen OG Saga endless frontier (gods what a mouthful) Pretty good rpg, only complaint is a bs enemy mechanic that drags out fights and the fact most battles are boss fight followed by boss fight followed by boss fight, and hence your leveling gets pretty under-leveled, I'm literally at a point where I need to grind levels and it'll take me so long to do so, so on hiatus from that.

SMT/Persona. It's especially telling that I'll occasionally put all my other backlogged games on hold just to do a new run of Innocent Sin or Persona 4. I may not 100% agree with the direction Atlus has been taking the series, but I'll still give them my money as long as they make quality games.

Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem is a series where, even if the entry in question is flawed, I can still get some enjoyment out of it. I beat Echoes' main story within three days of it unlocking, and I'll probably do the same for FE Switch once I get a Switch.

Pokemon. I'll admit I'm a Pokemon mark, and I will marathon any new game that comes out until I beat it.

Fallout. Like Fire Emblem, even if the entry is as flawed as 4 was, I can still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I'm eagerly awaiting a potential Fallout 5.

Metal Gear used to be this, but then Konami did a straight-up heel turn and now I wouldn't pay them to unclog my toilet. Appropriately enough, Survive looks like something James would have pulled out of that clogged toilet.

Danganronpa used to also be this, but then DR3 and the New DR V3 spoilers hit and now I don't know if I want to keep with the series.

40-50% of my backlog is games I've beaten but feel the need to re-beat because the save data was lost due to system and/or memory breakdown, so I don't feel hard-pressed to beat them quickly anyway.

Edited by AzureSen

On August 18, 2017 at 7:38 PM, LucarioGamer812 said:

some platformers like Mega-Man

You played Azure Striker Gunvolt and Mighty No. 9 yet? Mighty's literally Mega Man with the difficulty cranked up(STILL trying to beat the last boss with Beck after half a year, and Ray Mode is even harder), and Gunvolt is generally regarded as the closest thing to ZX3 we'll ever get because thanks, Capcom, for pushing Morrigan's boobs with more priority than your clearly greatest franchise. Also, I never played anything more than the Demos for both Project X Zone games(they look and play great, but I'm not interested in putting money behind games with Morrigan because…reasons), but if they made a PXZ3, Gunvolt+Copen needs to be a pairing because they're freaking epic and I want to see them interact with X and Zero.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

You played Azure Striker Gunvolt and Mighty No. 9 yet? Mighty's literally Mega Man with the difficulty cranked up(STILL trying to beat the last boss with Beck after half a year, and Ray Mode is even harder), and Gunvolt is generally regarded as the closest thing to ZX3 we'll ever get because thanks, Capcom, for pushing Morrigan's boobs with more priority than your clearly greatest franchise. Also, I never played anything more than the Demos for both Project X Zone games(they look and play great, but I'm not interested in putting money behind games with Morrigan because…reasons), but if they made a PXZ3, Gunvolt+Copen needs to be a pairing because they're freaking epic and I want to see them interact with X and Zero.

Gunvolt is on my to get list. I thought mighty no 9 was regarded as one of the worse games of recent years? (Or at least one that didn't live up to the hype) I enjoy both Project X Zones a great amount. I originally got 2 because it had Chrom and Lucina in it and a Xenoblade character but spoiler for xenoblade concerning that character. I also though street fighter was Capcoms greatest franchise, but either way Mega-Man is definitely up there and has been denied (Heck Nintendo has been more kind to Mega-Man in recent years, smash bros character, 2 amiibos which the only other 3rd party characters to get that were ones with alternate costumes, plus the highest sales of the mega-man legacy collection on the 3ds). I actually have a roster wishlist for if they ever made a PXZ3 if you're interested, and the way I see it, more characters is always better in crossover games. And while I don't know your opinion on Morrigan, she has some quotes in both games but overall you won't see too much of her unless it's a darkstalkers related chapter of which you can just skip the dialogue and not use her. I'll be honest in PXZ2 I rarely use her, I use other characters instead, for some odd reason it seems to be Bandai Namco characters, with either God Eater, Tales. .Hack, Xenosaga, Super Robot Wars, or Reiji/Xiamou, then Sega with Virtua Fighter or Valkyria Chronicles, then Nintendo with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. Also based on PXZ2, they wouldn't interact beyond story dialogue since pair units didn't have dialogue with other pair units in battle, if Gunvolt was an solo unit though, then he'd have specific dialogue with X/Zero and every other pair unit.

Any Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem, Zero Escape (rip) or Azure Striker Gunvolt game. I also pay a lot of attention to the Bravely series, although I may not skyrocket them on my backlog in some cases.

4 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I don't know your opinion on Morrigan, she has some quotes in both games but overall you won't see too much of her unless it's a darkstalkers related chapter of which you can just skip the dialogue and not use her.

My problem is putting money into games that feature her at all - she's a ridiculously oversexualized character(If I remember right, the first time you see her in PXZ2 she even gets called 'melons' by one of the Yakuza guys) who can make it tremendously difficult to play crossover games she's featured in with younger players around, and I have lots of younger cousins who like to spend lots of time around me, making it frustratingly hard to play anything without them watching. I actually haven't finished Conception 2 despite having it over a year now for this very reason - I can't play an M-rated game around my 8-14 year old cousins and I barely get any time to play any games when they're not around, and I also have other games I'm trying to finish at the same time, but I'm tangenting - my point is I don't like sending Capcom the message that I'll buy a game with Morrigan in it. If they would tone her down and put her in actual clothes that are appropriate enough that I could play a game with her in front of both my young cousins and their mothers without needing to worry, then I might be willing to support such crossovers, but in the end that seems really unlikely as she IS a Succubus.

4 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

I thought mighty no 9 was regarded as one of the worse games of recent years? (Or at least one that didn't live up to the hype)

I found Mighty to be a game that was good, but only for really experienced players - several levels gave me a few headaches because they can have things that require lots of precision or else stack the odds against you a bit, though it definitely gets easier as you get new weapons just like the Blue Bomber. Ray Mode is even harder, as it's the same but with a character who uses claws instead of shooting(similar to comparing playing Zero to X) and has a constant HP drain, meaning you need to constantly kill foes to keep your HP level. I really like it despite not finishing it yet because the final boss is only easy on paper, but like I said before, it's Mega Man(already a fairly difficult series) with the difficulty cranked up, so definitely not for a casual gamer. The problem it faced as far as I can tell is that we all expected a carbon copy of Mega Man, perhaps an easier version thanks to the slightly more cutesy graphics, and nobody expected it to be so challenging. I'm fine because that's half of why I played Mega Man in the first place, but a lot of people probably weren't expecting that. Gunvolt is definitely the more accessible choice to just about every player - I thought I was really experienced in Mega Man style games, and Mighty made me reconsider.

5 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Also based on PXZ2, they wouldn't interact beyond story dialogue since pair units didn't have dialogue with other pair units in battle, if Gunvolt was an solo unit though, then he'd have specific dialogue with X/Zero and every other pair unit.

Story Dialogue is what I meant as there's brief mention in Gunvolt 1 that Gunvolt is familiar with Mega Man(along with a Mighty No. 9 reference), though it doesn't mention MM by name, so it seems likely he would know who X and Zero are, and Copen likely knows them as well. Really, I'd love seeing either one of them as a Solo Unit or both as a Pair Unit just for the battle dialogue, either between GV and Copen or between Solo + Pair.

I don't think Mighty No. 9's issue is being "harder". I think it is because it uses fake difficulty by having bad enemy placement and bad platforming sections, like on this part where there is an enemy who is unavoidable and who knocks you into an instant death trap,

or this part with the very narrow passages between the lightning trap above and the fires below, with enemies who can fire at you and knock you off.

or this part where there are two boxes and an enemy with an impenetrable shield in your path holding the High Ground(TM), and the only way to get past him is baiting him into firing at you. You get one second to fire first and dash at him, or else you'll be knocked down by his shot. Did I also mention the wind is constantly knocking you back on this part? Yeah. Ok, good players won't struggle much with this part, but the player isn't obliged to have Han Solo's shooting skills.

Overall, its level designing is not very intuitive, has tons of instant death traps set around as if the stages had been made by a Dr. Wily with a hate boner, it could've been a much better game in this aspect and also graphically, and all the money spent on Mighty No. 9 feels wasted and misused (or, well, used to fill Inafune's pockets).

Edited by Rapier

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

My problem is putting money into games that feature her at all - she's a ridiculously oversexualized character(If I remember right, the first time you see her in PXZ2 she even gets called 'melons' by one of the Yakuza guys) who can make it tremendously difficult to play crossover games she's featured in with younger players around, and I have lots of younger cousins who like to spend lots of time around me, making it frustratingly hard to play anything without them watching. I actually haven't finished Conception 2 despite having it over a year now for this very reason - I can't play an M-rated game around my 8-14 year old cousins and I barely get any time to play any games when they're not around, and I also have other games I'm trying to finish at the same time, but I'm tangenting - my point is I don't like sending Capcom the message that I'll buy a game with Morrigan in it. If they would tone her down and put her in actual clothes that are appropriate enough that I could play a game with her in front of both my young cousins and their mothers without needing to worry, then I might be willing to support such crossovers, but in the end that seems really unlikely as she IS a Succubus.

Okay yeah I definitely don't recommend it if younger kids are watching, I don't recall the Yakuza guys saying that but then again it wouldn't surprise me (and with Vashyron later *shudders*). And then if you do a new game+, OH BOYO that one addition on NG+ is not appropriate whatsoever (by that I mean it's literally a hot spring scene with all the female characters in it without clothes on and the only way this game isn't rated M for this alone is that fact that their bodies are hidden underneath water, or behind hair or arms or whatever, and then to even see this you have to blow the steam away through the 3ds mic so yeah, VERY NSFW Fanservice there. Then of course the dialogue does have sexual tones for some stuff (Looking at you Vashyron/Ogami/Xiamou) Then there's the god eaters, one of whom shows probably just as much skin as Morrigan and another shows even more skin then Morrigan. Then KOS-MOS despite being a robot, literally shows her chest in her super, though due to her being a robot, there is barely robot armor covering her....  also most of the female characters have sprite jiggle physics.......Yeah, definitely don't play with kids around, come to think of it, how did this game get a T rating again? And how did this game become my 3rd favorite game of all time? I think due to the soundtrack, flashy combos, and overall non-serious tone of the game.

On August 20, 2017 at 5:53 PM, LucarioGamer812 said:

Okay I don't recall the Yakuza guys saying that.

When Morrigan and Demitri are first introduced, Whats-his-face, Mad Dog, guy who goes with Kiryu, don't remember his exact name, says "Who're Melons and Muscletights there?". I only know about it thanks to the Demo, it's lost in the story development.

And how did this game become my 3rd favorite game of all time? I think due to the soundtrack, flashy combos, and overall non-serious tone of the game.

I liked 2's demo basically just for Heihachi, Jin and Kazuya - I've actually been considering trying Tekken Tag Tournament 2 out on their Pair Unit moves alone, they look like a kung fu movie and that's before you try out Fated Combination, plus their background music is pretty amazing not to mention watching them argue like little kids in the pre-fight dialogue. 1's demos got me interested because X and Zero were playable, plus I didn't know roughly 85% of the other characters and some were interesting, like Kite+Black Rose. I was actually a little more lax about outfits when I tried 1's demos, and ended up liking…Alisa? I think that's her name, one of the god eater people, and I thought she was pretty neat despite having a bit of underboob showing. Again, though, Morrigan proved too much and I passed it up.

Yeah, definitely don't play with kids around, come to think of it, how did this game get a T rating again?

No real clue, but somehow it did it, and it kind of disgusts me - I'd honestly choose Conception 2 over PXZ to let my cousins watch me play, and the subtitle for Conception 2 is "Children of the Seven Stars" so that should give you an idea of what kind of game it is(hint there's seven Heroines but only one protagonist).

On another note, have you noticed they don't have PXZ1 on the eShop any more? Both the demos and the game itself were gone the last time I searched them. The game's also hard as crap to find - I've seen PXZ2 at all kinds of game stores, but not a single copy of 1 over the past half a year or so.

On August 20, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Rapier said:

I don't think Mighty No. 9's issue is being "harder". I think it is because it uses fake difficulty by having bad enemy placement and bad platforming sections, like on this part where there is an enemy who is unavoidable and who knocks you into an instant death trap,

or this part with the very narrow passages between the lightning trap above and the fires below, with enemies who can fire at you and knock you off.

or this part where there are two boxes and an enemy with an impenetrable shield in your path holding the High Ground(TM), and the only way to get past him is baiting him into firing at you. You get one second to fire first and dash at him, or else you'll be knocked down by his shot. Did I also mention the wind is constantly knocking you back on this part? Yeah. Ok, good players won't struggle much with this part, but the player isn't obliged to have Han Solo's shooting skills.

Overall, its level designing is not very intuitive, has tons of instant death traps set around as if the stages had been made by a Dr. Wily with a hate boner, it could've been a much better game in this aspect and also graphically, and all the money spent on Mighty No. 9 feels wasted and misused (or, well, used to fill Inafune's pockets).

Oh, the box one! That was…interesting in Ray Mode, considering I hadn't beat Battalion yet and didn't have a reliable long-range weapon. With Beck it was surprisingly easy, nailed it first try. The wind was bothersome, though. I'd go with use Battalion's explosive bomb if you have it to do serious damage without getting in his line of fire.

As for instadeath, I found Countershade's level to be relatively instadeath-free, though this was partially because I beat Dynamo first and so she shut down one of the instadeath rooms. He was also the easiest for Ray Mode, especially for his boss battle.

The level design could have been better, but really my main issue was we only get one level with Call and she turned out to be surprisingly fun to play as. Part of this was because I got it as a gift instead of buying it myself, though.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

When Morrigan and Demitri are first introduced, Whats-his-face, Mad Dog, guy who goes with Kiryu, don't remember his exact name, says "Who're Melons and Muscletights there?". I only know about it thanks to the Demo, it's lost in the story development.

I liked 2's demo basically just for Heihachi, Jin and Kazuya - I've actually been considering trying Tekken Tag Tournament 2 out on their Pair Unit moves alone, they look like a kung fu movie and that's before you try out Fated Combination, plus their background music is pretty amazing not to mention watching them argue like little kids in the pre-fight dialogue. 1's demos got me interested because X and Zero were playable, plus I didn't know roughly 85% of the other characters and some were interesting, like Kite+Black Rose. I was actually a little more lax about outfits when I tried 1's demos, and ended up liking…Alisa? I think that's her name, one of the god eater people, and I thought she was pretty neat despite having a bit of underboob showing. Again, though, Morrigan proved too much and I passed it up.

No real clue, but somehow it did it, and it kind of disgusts me - I'd honestly choose Conception 2 over PXZ to let my cousins watch me play, and the subtitle for Conception 2 is "Children of the Seven Stars" so that should give you an idea of what kind of game it is(hint there's seven Heroines but only one protagonist).

On another note, have you noticed they don't have PXZ1 on the eShop any more? Both the demos and the game itself were gone the last time I searched them. The game's also hard as crap to find - I've seen PXZ2 at all kinds of game stores, but not a single copy of 1 over the past half a year or so.

Oh, the box one! That was…interesting in Ray Mode, considering I hadn't beat Battalion yet and didn't have a reliable long-range weapon. With Beck it was surprisingly easy, nailed it first try. The wind was bothersome, though. I'd go with use Battalion's explosive bomb if you have it to do serious damage without getting in his line of fire.

As for instadeath, I found Countershade's level to be relatively instadeath-free, though this was partially because I beat Dynamo first and so she shut down one of the instadeath rooms. He was also the easiest for Ray Mode, especially for his boss battle.

The level design could have been better, but really my main issue was we only get one level with Call and she turned out to be surprisingly fun to play as. Part of this was because I got it as a gift instead of buying it myself, though.

I haven't looked as I got both of them cartridge wise, but if so probably due to copyright maybe, huh PXZ1 I got not that long ago and I still see it semi-often, Yeah Alisa was in PXZ1, but in PXZ2 Oh boy, she's back, but with less stockings and more underboob, and then there's one god eater who is literally basically in a small bikini top and very short shorts, yet it's covered up by her small back jacket. (If you want to know who I'm talking about, then just look up Nana from god eater) I'll be honest I don't like the tekken characters that much, they don't seem that good to me, then again this is coming from a guy who literally uses every other bandai namco character so yeah.