If you had to pick a non-Japanese writer for a mainline FE, who would you pick?

Sånıc Bÿm

1 hour ago, Logos said:

I would have to disagree. I think GRRM is the type of dude to appreciate realism, and not hold anything back from his stories. Yes, it is possible for him to do rated T work, but I'm just saying I think ASOIAF is a major success because George is not worried what people think of the all the rated M things mentioned in his books, it's his way of showcasing the cruelty in history, and life. I would love for him to write an FE story, but I just feel a sense of doubt if it came to this scenario of choosing a non-Japanese story writer.

I think he could get away with a lot of stuff and keep a T rating. Hell, he could even have war rape in the background. FE has implied attempted rape, including child rape in FE6, like once per game(Linde, Silque, Minerva, Raquesis, Ares's girlfriend whose name I forgot, probably something in FE5, Clarine, Priscilla, maybe FE8, nothing I can think of in the Tellius series, but still) and its treated pretty flippantly, so I think that implying it in the background(like having some bad guy general being like "let the boys have their fun" as Tywin pretty much does in the Riverlands) and treating it with the gravity it deserves, as it has in ASOIAF with only a few exceptions, should be okay for a T rating. 

On 19-8-2017 at 4:31 PM, Dragoncat said:

I'll add Rick Riordan to the list. Love his books. He'd do good with humor.

Riordan would do well with the Awakening and Fates style since his characters tend to be more wacky as well. This is a point in his favor but also one against it since I think a lot of people would rather move on from this style.

I'd see him doing pretty well if he had to do the whole doomed crush thing IS likes so much since he wrote a pretty decent one where the character actually moved on pretty well from it. 

20 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

I think he could get away with a lot of stuff and keep a T rating. Hell, he could even have war rape in the background. FE has implied attempted rape, including child rape in FE6, like once per game(Linde, Silque, Minerva, Raquesis, Ares's girlfriend whose name I forgot, probably something in FE5, Clarine, Priscilla, maybe FE8, nothing I can think of in the Tellius series, but still) and its treated pretty flippantly, so I think that implying it in the background(like having some bad guy general being like "let the boys have their fun" as Tywin pretty much does in the Riverlands) and treating it with the gravity it deserves, as it has in ASOIAF with only a few exceptions, should be okay for a T rating. 

The BK threatens to " visit horrors" to Mist which could be a inferred to be torture and/or rape. An empty threat, presumably, with his later RD characterization, but the threat was nonetheless made.

7 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

The BK threatens to " visit horrors" to Mist which could be a inferred to be torture and/or rape. An empty threat, presumably, with his later RD characterization, but the threat was nonetheless made.

Eh, that's never really even attempted, though, so I'll give it a pass. One could make the case that it's especially unfortunate that this bit of his POR character was retconned, but eh.

I just thought of a more plausible one in Christopher Paolini. I'm aware Inheritance has quite the hatedom, but come on, he was fresh out of high school when he wrote Eragon. And it's actually pretty good and dramatic. Ms. Rowling, on the other hand... (for the record, I adore Harry Potter, but she doesn't write with even the least hint of forethought.)

20 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I just thought of a more plausible one in Christopher Paolini. I'm aware Inheritance has quite the hatedom, but come on, he was fresh out of high school when he wrote Eragon. And it's actually pretty good and dramatic. Ms. Rowling, on the other hand... (for the record, I adore Harry Potter, but she doesn't write with even the least hint of forethought.)

Rowling is good art writing characters but her political stuff is terrible. Everything is reduced to cartoonish levels of simplicity; people support Voldemort because they're either rich assholes or literal sociopaths; the Ministry ignores Voldemort because they're all cowards, etc. She would not be good for an FE game; it wouldn't be quite Conquest levels of simplistic but it would be close.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:10 AM, Slumber said:

From the gaming world: Chris Avellone. Pretty much the only western game writer who hasn't disappointed the hell out of me, and his writing style has plenty of personality.

I'm inclined to concur with this. Avellone has some of the best RPGs ever made under his belt, the guy'd have a field day with Fire Emblem.

The first name that came to mind was of course George R.R. Martin.

I concur, however, with the views expressed in this thread that George R.R. Martin would be creatively stifled if you made him write a story in such a way as to avoid a hard (M) rating. The gritty realistic feel to Martin’s writing comes from the fact that it doesn’t shy away from the overt sexuality of his characters or the brutality of medieval warfare and politics. Nor does it romanticize and extol traits of nobility, selflessness and heroism as fantasy writers so often do; nobility, selflessness, and heroism are FLAWS that get stupid characters killed.

That’s his style, and it is not suitable for a mainline Fire Emblem game.

Upon further consideration—an author who I thing would do a really good job of it is Guy Haley.

Guy Haley is the writer who just put out the new “Dark Imperium” novel for Warhammer 40k—which has struggled to put out good lore recently—and its quality.

His narrative style is that perfect blend of character-driven story, personal conflict, political scheming, fantasy, and grandiose battles between empire spanning-armies.

I feel like it would translate really well into Fire Emblem.

It would be a darker, more cynical fire emblem. But it would still be Fire Emblem.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Chu, duh.

Just kidding, that guy is an ultramaroon and he would still probably put Genji Shimada in it somehow.

Uh, I would go with Lorne Lanning - not because he'd be a particularly good fit, but because he is an insane man and I love listening to him spout complete lunacy at every turn. It would be that one game in the series that is such a hard black sheep, it's basically a different thing entirely. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/20/2017 at 9:56 PM, NekoKnight said:

If GRRM wrote the next FE, it would never come out.

I think people on SF are generally adverse to Fire Emblem being as dark and brutal as ASOIAF can be, but I think he'd be a good writer for it. FE can and has been dark, such as

Birthright spoiler

Hide contents

Flora's suicide by self-immolation

Radiant Dawn Spoiler

Hide contents

Lucia's would-be hanging

Sacred Stones Spoiler

Hide contents

Orson going crazy and loving the reanimated corpse of his wife.

Among other things. The only thing FE needs to be is less explicit, even if dark things are alluded to.

I'd much prefer a darker Fire Emblem game. Censoring the story less is part of what helped make Genealogy so good because they weren't afraid to delve into more of the politics and darker subjects as well

On 8/21/2017 at 2:29 AM, blah the Prussian said:

I think they could definitely get the game a T rating with some of this stuff although it may have to be a bit less explicit than in the older games sadly.