• Attacking Range
    • Bases
    • Growths
    • Movement
    • Immediate Survivability
    • General
    • Favouritism
    • Prf Availability

How do you, personally, like to judge the viability, or otherwise, of units in your playthroughs?

When discussion of tiering comes into play, a lot of arguments begin to evolve about what judging metrics are the best. This topic is more about which judging metrics individual people prefer, at least in terms of here. If you have a complex and/or game-dependent opinion, feel free to share.

I don't guarantee I have all the metrics, but I think I have most of them.

I'd say general. Many factors go into determining where a unit is placed on the tier list. The problem with that is the fact that tier list differ, and some of them are non-objective. I don't worship them, but I do have an idea of who I should be using. Rarely will I use a unit out of pure favoritism. 

I really, really try deploy units I personally like and build my teams that way. If I am playing normally because sometimes I want to use units I have not used much yet on purpose.
Unfortunately, I still often slip into just looking up growths and stats... Sometimes the unit is just too bad and I do not feel like struggling. Other times I happily want to mash that I WIN button with the more OP guys :D

I personally tend to use units that i like (which is honestly most of them). Like, in Binding Blade, despite Sophia being considered to be one of the worst units in the game, i still use her over Raigh and Niime. 

There are....exceptions. For example, i like Gwendolyn but Armors suck in Binding Blade (as in most games) and Gwendolyn joins right before Axe Land. For some reason, despite me liking Est, i've never really used her. Which is ironic, since i use Est-types in other games. 

I'd say general, but I have to admit, I do tend to use certain units I like more than others (examples being Gwendolyn, Dew, Arden e.t.c.). I do tend to to look up growths as well, to see which unit would turn out good. Therefore I won't use any unit with crappy growths.

I also barely consider movement when judging a character, which, I guess, is because I don't care much for turncounts nor would I mind trying to have a unit catch up with the others. 

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gwendolyn joins right before Axe Land. For some reason, despite me liking Est, i've never really used her. Which is ironic, since i use Est-types in other games. 

Wendy doesn't actually fit the Est archetype, unlike Sophia...

19 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Wendy doesn't actually fit the Est archetype, unlike Sophia...

I know. I suppose i worded it a bit wrong, but i was talking about how i don't use Gwendolyn. And then, i shifted focus to over how i don't really use Est despite using Est-types in other games. Sorry for the confusion.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I know. I suppose i worded it a bit wrong, but i was talking about how i don't use Gwendolyn. And then, i shifted focus to over how i don't really use Est despite using Est-types in other games. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, sorry! It was my fault for reading it wrongly.

If you can get the job done, I'm cool. I find myself preferring Tana vastly over Vanessa in Sacred Stones because I find that Tana deals damage way better than Vanessa (she gained strength ONCE on my Ephraim route file). But there have been times when I've had units that are considered bad (like Amelia) turn out amazing and ones that are considered good (like Sumia) turn out pretty bad so sometimes I don't know.

Immediate survivability is huge for me. People sing the praises of Charlotte a lot of the time, and I just can't see it. I don't have saintly patience to keep resetting every time she dies to the first attack that hits her, no matter how much critting she's supposed to be doing once she gets off the ground.

Bases are extremely important too; Hana and Charlotte have godawful bases, and I can't be bothered to try and get them to anything resembling usable. Really, Kliff is the only big exception to that for me, since SoV's early game as a whole isn't nearly as punishing as CQ is.

Favoritism does help, though there are times when, even if I like a character, I don't feel like putting up with their floundering/getting screwed over by the game. RIP Tormod, most adorable mage, but I don't wanna have to dump a million BEXP into you just so you can become usable.

Don't care about LTC or efficiency runs at all, so that's not a factor for me.

Edited by Extrasolar

• 2 weeks later...

I said general, but above all, the units I use can't be either a big liability (like Fates' Fighters both are) or too much trouble to get up to speed (which both of Fates' Fighters are also guilty of).

On August 20, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Extrasolar said:

Immediate survivability is huge for me. People sing the praises of Charlotte a lot of the time, and I just can't see it. I don't have saintly patience to keep resetting every time she dies to the first attack that hits her, no matter how much critting she's supposed to be doing once she gets off the ground.

I feel much the same way about Charlotte - she's too much trouble to get anywhere, because she dies to a light breeze (not to mention essentially being blind as a Zubat). And as a Berserker, those light breezes have a chance to instantly kill her, which is absolutely unacceptable - no amount of critting can make up for that. At all.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia