Sort of new to the franchise

Arn

Well, I TRIED playing the DS remake of the first game once, but it didn't go well. While the story and characters were ok, the gameplay didn't appealed to me much, mainly for the lack of things to in battle do besides getting in/out of range and attacking. I like tactical games but I got kinda spoiled by Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea which give character skills and a broad range of weapons and spells, story isn't a sellpoint of games for me.

I'm thinking of starting with the GBA games, but I'm not sure if they have a less simplistic gameplay or not.

The GBA games probably have a more simplistic combat system due to the lack of weapon rank things, but you have additional tools in the Rescue command and a refresher unit that can give an ally a second move that turn. Thieves can also steal items (but not weapons) from the enemy. There's no skills outside of FE8's very simple class skill system, and reclassing does not exist prior to Shadow Dragon.

Hmmm, I think I should dust of my DS and maybe try again, tt was not bad, but somewhat boring. Keep in mind that I don't care for 10 seconds of shiny animation stuff, it can be passives or stuff triggered by condition, things that make battles a bit more strategic for me and for the enemy.

You can turn off animations in the Options.

If you want something more complex, give the 3DS games a whirl.  Also, take advantage of Shadow Dragon's reclass system, if you want a bit more variety.

If you're looking for Skills, then i recommend the Tellius games, Awakening, Fates, and Shadows of Valentia. The Jugdral games have Skills as well, but the gameplay in Jugdral is abysmal, so i wouldn't recommend Jugdral.

A cool thing about Shadows of Valentia is that Mage and Clerics have their own spell set, and magic is learned via level-up, as opposed to buying Tomes. To use Magic, a unit sacrifices a bit of HP, which is not as bad as it sounds and it's actually a really good trade-off, as Magic in SoV completely negates terrain bonuses that would otherwise benefit the enemy. Shadows of Valentia is the most RPG out of all the Fire Emblem games. In fact, some might say Shadows of Valentia is an RPG with strategy elements as opposed to a strategy game with RPG elements.

You said you were looking into the GBA games, right? The GBA FEs are pretty decent. They are simple, yes, but it's never a bad thing. Binding Blade is simple, yet, it's also one of the harder FEs out there. Sacred Stones does have Skills but they are limited. 

Fates: Conquest and Radiant Dawn are the hardest FEs and will really put your strategic skills to the test. So if your looking for a challenge, play either of those two. Thracia is hard too, but it's Jugdral, which means it's got really shitty gameplay (though the gameplay is slightly better than Genealogy of the Holy War's, also Thracia's hard difficulty is artificial).

I would recommend starting with Blazing Blade, aka FE7. It has a tutorial that teaches you the basics.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fates: Conquest and Radiant Dawn are the hardest FEs and will really put your strategic skills to the test. So if your looking for a challenge, play either of those two. Thracia is hard too, but it's Jugdral, which means it's got really shitty gameplay (though the gameplay is slightly better than Genealogy of the Holy War's, also Thracia's hard difficulty is artificial).

New Mystery wants a word with you.  There's a reason why its Lunatic mode is considered one of the hardest in the series, and it's not because of pure stat inflation.

Thanks for the tip, guys. I decided to give the DS remakes another try, I'm not gonna bother with the Gaiden chapters of Shadow Dragon though.

As for 3DS games, I can't play them. Sold my 3DS years ago after Nintendo bailed from Brazil, and importing is 10 times more expensive than our already absurd prices. Citra still have a long way to go, and I don't think my PC can handle it anyways.

On 8/19/2017 at 3:19 PM, Armagon said:

Normal mode RD isn't even that hard, though. (And I'm talking actual Normal mode (what the English version calls "Easy," and not JP Hard mode, which the English version calls "Normal," because that didn't completely screw over new players or the uninformed or anything.) The most difficult part is the early game with the DB, and even that's nowhere near as punishing as a lot of CQ. There are a few trial and error gameplay moments that pretty much force a reset, but other than that, it's largely smooth sailing barring the few DB chapters mixed into the latter part of the game.

And it's really smooth sailing once you get the Greil Mercs and laguz royals on your side.

It completely depends on what type of game you're into as FE is a completely different thing compared to many other TRPGs.

If you want a game that has the same complexity as Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre or heck, even the likes of X-Com, as much as I hate to say it, no FE game can come to par with that. Maybe I guess Conquest but still not even that complex as the former. You might as well look elsewhere for that kind of gameplay depth.

FE unlike the other TRPGs you might have played is the most simplest of them all. The only real strategy that FE can give you is to keep your units alive till the end hence why permadeath is a thing and its one of the reasons why FE is considered hard in general. Sure there are other things to keep in mind such as who is worth training, weapons not lasting forever and money being limited but this ranges from game to game and not being so constant but all of that means nothing if you lost tons of units which after which, the game probably will get harder.

It's not really about "complexity", but something a bit more than chess. From what I've saw on the wiki, from Path of Radiance onwards they adding and polishing what I'm looking for, something more than weapons and magic.

Strangely from the games I've tried, all of them on highest difficult, I didn't felt they were hard. I only had to bait enemies and kill them later, some maps I could be just aggressive an kill them as fast as I could.

EDIT: I decided to start the series from Binding Blade, I tried Shadow Dragon again but the ugly character models and the lack of the online shop made me drop it for good now, let's see how you turn out.

Edited by Arn

On 8/21/2017 at 4:26 PM, Arn said:

EDIT: I decided to start the series from Binding Blade, I tried Shadow Dragon again but the ugly character models and the lack of the online shop made me drop it for good now, let's see how you turn out.

Fair warning. I suggest you play Blazing Blade before Binding Blade. FE6 isn't newcomer friendly.