Discontent with translations?

Køkø

Are there any officially translated names you are unhappy with? I do like FE15's character redesigns but I don't understand some of the name changes. Silk and Cliff(Now Silque and Kliff) for example. I understand Robin's name change (also known as Bird, lol), but it's not unrealistic for multiple people to have the same name. I know this may not be a big deal to some people, but as a long time player it's just weird to me. 

And for non Gaiden characters, Elphin (Now Elffin) and Wendy (Now Gwendolyn) . Just why?     

Grandbell too. (Now Grannvale)

Silk and Cliff to Silque and Kliff aren't really changes.  They're pronounced basically the same, it's just an alternate way to render the names.

As far as complete name changes go, I don't really care too much tbh.  I get used to it.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

25 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Silk and Cliff to Silque and Kliff aren't really changes.  They're pronounced basically the same, it's just an alternate way to render the names.

Change is change, no matter the magnitude. And since people are reading the names more than speaking them, it's pretty noticeable to me. I just don't understand why they had to change them at all, it's just weird to me.

Grandbell = Grannvale doesn't seem like a change as much as fan translators goofing (good ol' "Zliglud" -> Sigurd).

On a related topic, I'm shocked that I haven't seen anyone else suggested that Belhalla might actually be Valhalla. You've got the V-B equality in Japanese, and considering the events that take place there...

4 minutes ago, Køkø said:

Change is change, no matter the magnitude. And since people are reading the names more than speaking them, it's pretty noticeable to me. I just don't understand why they had to change them at all, it's just weird to me.

it's not a change though, it's just how they chose to spell it in english

there were no official english names for those characters previously

7 minutes ago, Køkø said:

There wasn't anything to change though.  Silk and Cliff are fan translations, the official translators have no reason to care about them, and Silque and Kliff are just as valid readings of the kana as Silk and Cliff.  

Edit: Unique ninja'd me.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

On a related topic, I'm shocked that I haven't seen anyone else suggested that Belhalla might actually be Valhalla. You've got the V-B equality in Japanese, and considering the events that take place there...

Possibly. Could be a mix of Valhalla and the "Bell" in Grandbell.

5 minutes ago, unique said:

it's not a change though, it's just how they chose to spell it in english

there were no official english names for those characters previously

You've got the technicality of it. But in the eyes of people who've known it otherwise, it's a change. I thought translations were supposed to make names more palatable to the target audience. Can we agree that Silque and Kliff are somewhat odd compared to Silk and Cliff?

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

There wasn't anything to change though.  Silk and Cliff are fan translations, the official translators have no reason to care about them, and Silque and Kliff are just as valid readings of the kana as Silk and Cliff.  

See above.

Some of the translated names are pretty bad, notably in Jugdral. Iuchar, Iucharba, and Chulainn come to mind. I pretty much only use the old names because it's what I'm used to and have used for years. If people use the new names though I really don't care. It's not hard to tell who someone's talking about.

10 minutes ago, Køkø said:

Possibly. Could be a mix of Valhalla and the "Bell" in Grandbell.

You've got the technicality of it. But in the eyes of people who've known it otherwise, it's a change. I thought translations were supposed to make names more palatable to the target audience. Can we agree that Silque and Kliff are somewhat odd compared to Silk and Cliff?

See above.

I actually don't care too much since they're pronounced the same.  I guess I slightly prefer Silque and Kliff.

The point we're making is we can't really call the names Silque and Kliff changes when the old names were from fanmade translations and irrelevant to the official translators' work.  They weren't conflicting with old official material in those cases.

Now Raquesis -> Lachesis, that is a change between official English translations.  She already had an official English name in Awakening, Raquesis, but Heroes had the translators rename her Lachesis. 

Marx -> Xander is a Japanese to English name change, since no one is getting Xander out of Marx's kana.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

3 minutes ago, Umbran Darros said:

Some of the translated names are pretty bad, notably in Jugdral. Iuchar, Iucharba, and Chulainn come to mind. I pretty much only use the old names because it's what I'm used to and have used for years. If people use the new names though I really don't care. It's not hard to tell who someone's talking about.

I should of mentioned those too, don't know how I forgot. They are consistent with the tendency of Irish/Gaelic names for FE4 characters though. It's just weird for English speakers. Especially Chulainn, which I think is pronounced the same as his original name.

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I actually don't care too much since they're pronounced the same.  I guess I slightly prefer Silque and Kliff.

The point we're making is we can't really call the names Silque and Kliff changes when the old names were from fanmade translations and irrelevant to the official translators' work.  They weren't conflicting with old official material in those cases.

Now Raquesis -> Lachesis, that is a change between official English translations.  She already had an official English name in Awakening, Raquesis, but Heroes had the translators rename her Lachesis. 

Marx -> Xander is a Japanese to English name change, since no one is getting Xander out of Marx's kana.

I already said I understand where you two are coming from. I said it's a change to me and others who known it otherwise for a long time. 

I have no love for most of the Jugdral and Akaneia localisation names, but stupid CED takes the cake. The original Japanese game had Sety, wielder of Holsety and descendant of crusader Sety. Then the localisation changes that to Ced, wielder of Forseti? What was going through their heads? Dishonourable mention to most of the random spelling tweaks throughout when normal names become fancy pretentious ones.

I don't really care about translations, unless it's something really stupid. I have a particular pet peeve when people refer to the fan-translated names as opposed to the official ones, assuming there isn't an official name. This is especially apparent in Jugdral. Like, when people call Seliph "Celice" or Valflame "Falaflame", it just annoys the hell out of me. That being said, Lachesis->Raquesis->Lachesis took some getting used to. But it seems the translators in Heroes are going off the Japanese names for characters in the Japan-only games.

In the case of Wnedy->Gwendolyn, i don't really mind what people call her, as Wendy is basically short for Gwendolyn.

1 hour ago, Køkø said:

Silk and Cliff(Now Silque and Kliff)

1 hour ago, Køkø said:

Elphin (Now Elffin)

These three names are literally pronounced the same, regardless of which translation you use. I really don't see why it's an issue.

Besides, Silque sounds more natural than Silk, because at least she is no longer named after a type of thread.

1 hour ago, Køkø said:

Grandbell too. (Now Grannvale)

Gonna be honest, Grannvale sounds more natural. Because Grandbell is just "grand+bell" whereas Grannvale really does sound like a fictional country.

Edited by Armagon

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't really care about translations, unless it's something really stupid. I have a particular pet peeve when people refer to the fan-translated names as opposed to the official ones, assuming there isn't an official name. This is especially apparent in Jugdral. Like, when people call Seliph "Celice" or Valflame "Falaflame", it just annoys the hell out of me. That being said, Lachesis->Raquesis->Lachesis took some getting used to. But it seems the translators in Heroes are going off the Japanese names for characters in the Japan-only games.

In the case of Wnedy->Gwendolyn, i don't really mind what people call her, as Wendy is basically short for Gwendolyn.

These three names are literally pronounced the same, regardless of which translation you use. I really don't see why it's an issue.

Besides, Silque sounds more natural than Silk, because at least she is no longer named after a type of thread.

Gonna be honest, Grannvale sounds more natural. Because Grandbell is just "grand+bell" whereas Grannvale really does sound like a fictional country.

The first part of your post is fine. I'm just going to say this so people know why I created this topic. I asked if YOU had any names you were discontent with. Not a critique of the ones I find unappealing. 

51 minutes ago, Umbran Darros said:

aside from the ones that are in heroes i don't call the fe4 characters by the names that were on that poll thing since I want people to actually know who i'm talking about but

chulainn was probably supposed to be his name all along

its pronounced pretty much the same as holyn, but somehow none of the fe4 translations picked up on it or bothered to change it

some of the other ones are weird but i feel like that one's fine

1 minute ago, unique said:

chulainn was probably supposed to be his name all along

its pronounced pretty much the same as holyn,

What?! The two are spelled pretty differently, how are they both pronounced "pretty much the same"?

Just now, Armagon said:

What?! The two are spelled pretty differently, how are they both pronounced "pretty much the same"?

just google it dude 

it's not really worth explaining

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

A lot of FE4's characters have Irish/Gaelic namesakes. 

His name comes from this guy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cú_Chulainn 

There's some differing opinions about how it's pronounced, but apparantly there's one that pronounces Chulainn similar to Holyn.

Still getting adjusted to Iucharba and Iuchar instead of johan and johalva 

but that's only because i had trouble remembering which one was which and now i have to start over lmao
the etymology behind the new names are pretty cool too so i'm not really complaining

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Look up any Bravely Second video where Chu Chulainn speaks. The second half of the name pronounced "Hul-lin", which Holyn can phonetically be pronounced like (but as Ice Dragon once pointed out- English has no strict rules for pronunciation, and I sometimes for fun consciously exaggerate this).

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Directly borrowing mythological names for people is one thing, but I guess they thought a location like Valhalla wouldn't work so well if the name was used for the capital of a human kingdom- so they tweaked it first. Belhalla was initially eh to me, but it's better than Bahara to me now.

2 minutes ago, Shadowess said:

Still getting adjusted to Iucharba and Iuchar instead of johan and johalva 

Same.

I despise Holyn's name changing to Chulainn.

Meanwhile I think Erinys sounds better than her other names (LOL FURY AND FERR), even better than Erin.

Gwendolyn sounds more awesome than Wendy. 

Ced sounds better than Sety to me. 

Lachesis>Raquesis 

I dislike Coirpre and can't even pronounce it right most of the time. Therefore I find Corple to be better.

Charlot is...okay, I guess. It sounds more noble like. I like pronouncing Sharlow more though. 

Tine's spelling somewhat annoys me, so I like Tinny more.

Mana is better than Muirne because how do you even pronounce Muirne? 

47 minutes ago, Darrman said:

I have no love for most of the Jugdral and Akaneia localisation names, but stupid CED takes the cake. The original Japanese game had Sety, wielder of Holsety and descendant of crusader Sety. Then the localisation changes that to Ced, wielder of Forseti? What was going through their heads? Dishonourable mention to most of the random spelling tweaks throughout when normal names become fancy pretentious ones.

Ced, wielder of Forced, descendant of crusader Forced.

sorry I had to say this

I'm not a fan of some translations as well (mostly FE4's). I'm ok with FE6's for most part and FE12's, but Raquesis sounds like a skin condition and Iuchar/Iucharba reminds me of the spanish word "to fight", among other weird examples. Still a small price to pay for a FE4 Echoes, if it ever becomes a thing.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The second half of the name pronounced "Hul-lin", which Holyn can phonetically be pronounced like

As, so the "c" in "Chulainn" is silent. That explains a lot. Damn you, silent letters.

5 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Tine's spelling somewhat annoys me, so I like Tinny more.

I'm the opposite, because i keep reading "Tinny" as "tiny".