Discontent with translations?

Køkø

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm the opposite, because i keep reading "Tinny" as "tiny".

Should mention that the FE wiki states that Teeny is another one of her names.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

As, so the "c" in "Chulainn" is silent. That explains a lot. Damn you, silent letters.

The thing about Chulainn is that the "ch" digraph represents a /x/ when it is broad in Irish (which is the sound at the end of ugh and blech), but is rendered as /h/ by English speakers as /x/ does not exist as a phoneme in Standard English. The goofy thing about the name is that it is the genitive form of Culainn (as Cú Chulainn means Hound of Culainn), meaning the name is essentially Culainn's, which is pretty dumb if you ask me.

Some changes/renderings that I found dumb are ones like Makalov for Makarov (I understand the L/R thing in Japanese, but the latter is a Russian surname with former being meaningless), Aran for Brad (because Brad is just too normal-sounding, I suppose), Lukas for Luka (Luca is a normal Italian male name, so nothing is that wrong with Luka), Jedah for Judah (because why was that necessary?), and Mozu for Mozume (because apparently three syllables is too much for us Gaijin). I have many others, but covering them all would take too long.

I assume the localizers try to give more of a stock-standard "fantasy" (read: rehashing aspects of Tolkien's work) feel to the names, which I find rather silly to be honest (the funny thing about the generic fantasy names is that they are often meaningless strings of syllables with goofy spellings when Tolkien himself was a linguist who understood phonologies other than that of English, and simply wrote stories around the many languages and language families he created; Many seem to not understand that and end up pronouncing the names wrong).

Also, Kliff's official Nintendo of Japan name is Qulyf (which is sort of dumb).

16 minutes ago, KoimanZX said:

Jedah for Judah (because why was that necessary?)

Probably because they didn't want to associate a biblical figure with an evil sorcerer.