Do you think IS could use Heroes as an early promotional tool for FE Switch?

Cat Villager

And I don't mean releasing a banner one week before the game comes out in Japan.
For example, Pokemon Company are famous for introducing some Pokemon from new generations long before their games are officially out. Intelligent Systems could take a couple of units from FE Switch and make a short series of paralogues featuring them as important characters while giving some hints about plot/lore/music/maps/etc to build more interest. Bonus points if they do it out of nowhere to make people talk about it.
Of course, it won't replace more traditional forms of advertising but it might make an interesting...experiment? Would you like it?

It would certainly make sense for them to do so, especially if they're going to include new waifu/hasubando characters that fans of the newer games are going to absolutely eat up.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Seems very likely. As a matter of fact they may do this once a few of FE Switch's trailer's release. (Here's hoping for a Nintendo direct teaser trailer of FE Switch. And also hoping for not another Game-dedicated direct.)

3 hours ago, I'm a Spheal said:

Why wouldn't they; they've used it to help promote Echoes already. It just seems obvious.

The OP of the thread said in the very first sentence not like that. He's suggesting whether they'd give us FE Switch content before the game releases at all, not the week the game releases in either region.

And I think it's unlikely we'll see them do that. The team working on Heroes and FE16 are not the same and would have to coordinate how best to represent these new characters in a way that makes FE16 enticing. The Heroes team has to sign NDAs, the FE16 team has to be okay with third party artists depicting their characters, and both sets of voice actors have to be hired and available for their roles sooner. It's certainly not impossible for them to set up some teaser pre-release content for FE16, but it's definitely trickier than waiting until release week like they did for Echoes.

12 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

The OP of the thread said in the very first sentence not like that. He's suggesting whether they'd give us FE Switch content before the game releases at all, not the week the game releases in either region.

And I think it's unlikely we'll see them do that. The team working on Heroes and FE16 are not the same and would have to coordinate how best to represent these new characters in a way that makes FE16 enticing. The Heroes team has to sign NDAs, the FE16 team has to be okay with third party artists depicting their characters, and both sets of voice actors have to be hired and available for their roles sooner. It's certainly not impossible for them to set up some teaser pre-release content for FE16, but it's definitely trickier than waiting until release week like they did for Echoes.

But this doesn't seem to be too complicated? Japanese VA recording will be probably done simultaneously for both FE Switch and Heroes. I don't exactly see why a bunch of artists cannot work under NDA. The risk of leak of some vital information should be minimal because the promotional content isn't supposed to be spoilery from the start.
I think the biggest problem will be an early appointment of dub VA.

Edited by Cat Villager

3 hours ago, Cat Villager said:

But this doesn't seem to be too complicated? Japanese VA recording will be probably done simultaneously for both FE Switch and Heroes. I don't exactly see why a bunch of artists cannot work under NDA. The risk of leak of some vital information should be minimal because the promotional content isn't supposed to be spoilery from the start.
I think the biggest problem will be an early appointment of dub VA.

It's all about presentation. In keeping with the pokemon comparison. They did things like tease munchlax when it was still third gen. That's a pretty good reveal. It demonstrates fourth gen is going to have evolutions and pre-evolutions of existing pokemon, and that's exciting since they stopped doing that with ruby/sapphire. Even if Munchlax specifically was poorly received by some fans, he's a proof of concept, and not an important pokemon like, say, a starter getting revealed. 

I think they could do a lot of damage to the new game if they gave us a banner featuring the main protagonist of FE16 and his closest allies. Fans would critique their looks and sounds. They would make judgements on personality based on their few lines of dialogue. If the female characters are too attractive, then the game is trash, if they're not attractive enough then the game is trash. And constant, unwarranted comparisons to previous characters. "They decided to make a clone of Felicia? Seriously?" That sort of banner seems to me like a high risk low reward proposition for building hype. If I had my say, I'd keep such character reveals to maybe a minor villain's GHB. Berkut from Echoes, for example, would have been smart, since there's nothing in his Heroes representation that alludes to what type of villain he would be or what the final confrontation with him would look like.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

I think they could do a lot of damage to the new game if they gave us a banner featuring the main protagonist of FE16 and his closest allies.

Main characters definitely should be saved for later. They need to use someone on lower importance level like, for example, Franz from Sacred Stones and who fall into usual class archetypes. And it should be 1-2 characters, no more. Even better if they were a free 3* reward for beating maps.

22 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't think coordinating this is as hard as you make it out to be. I mean, the fe team has presumably been constantly working with the heroes team to give the ok on assorted things and literally worked fine with the echoes stuff. They probably sign NDAs all the time and know how to handle that sort of things. Voice Work would probably be done at around the same time voice work is in progress for the game; if the game gets shown at all it will almost certainly be far enough along to have voices and if you have them in the booth get them to do some extra lines.

It is probably not this long drawn out legal affair that just has so many moving parts it's impossible to line up for anything other than the release date. Heroes will have been out for over a year by reveal and its not like the FE team hasn't been coordinating with the Cipher team for a couple years now as well. They probably have such a process ironed out.