Fire Emblem Anime! Is It The Right Time To Try Again?

Espiritu

I wanted to make a video, because I suck really bad at getting even a basic point across with my typing skills. So I though I would make a video and you can all laugh at me that way! HAHA

I did not get all my points across, but I wanted to high light over that I feel the anime industry has grown a lot since its first time doing a FE Anime, and as long as they stay true to FE, I think a Anime could be a really fun and interesting idea! The story could be also the build up to a game, maybe side story's kind of like how SOV had the bonus act at the end of the game, but overall I would love to see a FE Anime done right!

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on it as well, just no hate, insults or fighting please! Just a fun idea and a talk about if it could work and how it would work, and if it could not why! I think the idea it self brings up a lot of goods and bad's about why it could work, and maybe why it could not work! I just like the idea of talking about it, as the FE Anime done way back has a lot of mixed feelings when it comes to people!

I'd be interested if they tried a new FE anime. I mean, aside from the Fate/Stay/Zero/whatever series and a few other VN adaptations, I don't think there's been a single good anime based on a video game franchise, but there'd be no harm in trying again. It's not like Fire Emblem really does anything that wouldn't translate well.

Make it like the original Berserk anime. A big army with a few standout characters that get emphasis, effectively emulating the feel of "player units" from the games.

Edited by Slumber

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Make it like the original Berserk anime. A big army with a few standout characters that get emphasis, effectively emulating the feel of "player units" from the games.

That was a point I was going to run with, with my video, I think something like that would be really cool and work super well! I just miss the idea of a good War driven anime/show!

For some reason my first thought on how a modern fire emblem anime would be treated was heroic legend of arslan. That kind of put me in the "NO" category. On the other hand other medieval anime have done really well, but I don't really think any of them feel like Fire Emblem. Personally I don't really think even more story focused games like Path of Radiance or Genealogy are really suited to a season long series for various reasons (number of characters relative to screen time being a big one). A lot of "filling out" of side characters would probably have to be done, among other creative liberties, to make Fire emblem worth watching . Even relative to other RPGs, I think a non- anime "cutscene-movie" of Fire emblem is seriously lacking. It could of course be adapted as a kind of "summer anime" and follow the heorics of the party/lord, but that would ONLY be a fun thing to watch once or twice, and not really an all-time anime that you could return to, and worse, it wouldn't really stand out from a medieval anime WITHOUT the licensed setting. 

I don't think they would ever try a Fire emblem anime that isn't tied to a specific game. It would be a much harder thing to sell marketing wise then if they had a bunch of familiar faces attached. They would probably just reboot the Archenean anime if they were to ever try a Fire emblem Anime again.

Though it would actually be Jugdral who is the best fit to adept to an anime. It has a smaller cast thanks to the characters being split into two gens and its generally pretty obvious which characters should have the most prominence in certain arcs. This makes the large roster very easy to manage. But considering Jugdral gets ignored almost out of habit we can forget about such an anime.

It does seem time to give it a go again. Fire emblem's popularity and prestige is pretty high as of now and Nintendo seems serious about promoting the series. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

A Fire Emblem anime already exists. It's called Yona of the Dawn.

Ok, all jokes aside (btw watch Yona of the Dawn, it's a good anime), i do think it's time to do another Fire Emblem anime. A proper one this time. My suggestion is to take one of the various Fire Emblem manga, and adapt them into an anime. The FE mangas (most of them) actually tell the stories better than the games themselves. In particular, i would like to see an anime adaptation of Fire Emblem: Hasha no Tsurugi. It's my personal favorite FE manga and everyone should give it a read. I really do hope it becomes an anime.

Spoiler

I would change it a bit so that it has Binding Blade's true end. Hasha no Tsurugi has it's own ending seperate from Binding Blade, but for all intents and purposes, Hasha no Tsurugi ends with the bad end (which actually isn't bad, the only difference between the bad and true end is that Idoun disappears in the bad end but she is defeated and has her shattered soul restored in the true end).

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

i would like to see an anime adaptation of Fire Emblem: Hasha no Tsurugi. It's my personal favorite FE manga and everyone should give it a read. I really do hope it becomes an anime.

I will have to give the manga a look mate! thanks for telling me about it!.

I did throw this idea also at the FE Reddit, but a couple people are very up set at the very idea haha. Which I knew would happen :p

1 minute ago, Espiritu said:

I did throw this idea also at the FE Reddit, but a couple people are very up set at the very idea haha. Which I knew would happen :p

I mean, it IS Reddit. Never been there myself but i've heard stories about how that place erupts in flames every once in while. Usually at the drop of a hat.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, it IS Reddit. Never been there myself but i've heard stories about how that place erupts in flames every once in while. Usually at the drop of a hat.

Once in a while? more like daily haha, I got down voted heavy at the idea of a FE Anime again haha.

But I mean if the anime idea was to happen, they would need to be very care full not to go down a bad slope of weird char tropes. A good story driven war story, I think would hook a lot of people into Fire Emblem! And maybe even people might want to see the older games more, which could lead to more and better remakes! Win, win in my books! HAHA

Edited by Espiritu

Yeah, I saw this thread on reddit too, which gave me deja vu for a second. Lol.

Anyway, I'm gonna echo the sentiment that an original story probably wouldn't be the best for an FE anime. I could see them doing something based around Heroes, just because of its huge popularity. Nintendo did something with Kid Icarus: Uprising; a series of animated shorts. I could see them doing a few with the Askr characters and/or the world of Zenith as a whole.

For a big, full-scale project, I don't think the FE1 anime was bad at all. It's extremely 90s in look and tone, which is to be expected, but for how brief it was, I think it was done fairly well. It had a balance of more somber moments and action, and did its best to expand on the original bare bones game's story through flashbacks and such. I think as a whole FE lends itself well to an anime format, as each major plot point is split into chapters, which gives you easy benchmarks for episodes.

Imo Jugdral and Tellius lend themselves the best to being given an anime adaptation, given the complexity of the world, and the layers of the plot. Thracia miniseries inside the Jugdral series would make the most sense. Those could easily be broken up into multiple seasons if need be.

I saw this on Reddit too, but I didn't reply because I don't have an account, some people there scare me out of it...

Another Fire Emblem anime would be great. I don't mind which one they do, but personally, my favourite idea is a series of animated shorts from Fire Emblem Heroes. It has various characters from across all of the games, paving the way for some hilarious interactions, and also some sweet, or even bittersweet ones like Eliwood and Roy, Hector and Lilina, and Sigurd, when he gets added, with Seliph. It could go on for quite a while too, as the game continuously gets updated. The story could be fleshed out too, dive deeper into Alfonse and Sharena, flesh out Kiran a little...

Then summoning as well, I can imagine some characters praying that certain characters get summoned, like Robin for Chrom, or having moments when say, an enemy comes along instead.

There's actually a lot of potential, and I'd love to see it.

I'd love to see a Fire Emblem show. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd kind of prefer live action. Fire Emblem is pretty light on the fantasy elements, and all the characters are humans or shapeshifters that hang out in human form.

I don't think I'm down for gratuitous blood and gore in Fire Emblem, game or otherwise. For major battle scenes, I think Fire Emblem would stand out with its characters fighting while armored - which is not typical of any anime I've seen. Not every character is in full plate armor, but it's reasonable to assume characters are battered and bruised in places we can't see them. Have small, obscured blood spurts when somebody is cut down, but don't go as far as the Castlevania series by cutting people in half through the torso or their face being caved in by an axe.

Also on the side of a making a new story rather than a straight adaptation. I think the bulk of fans' petty complaints won't come about that way. However, a prequel or sequel story taking place generations away from an existing game sounds enticing. We can get that First Exalt story, or a Scouring vignette.

I could see this going in two directions:

The first as mentioned by  previous posters is a adaption based on the older games in the series. 

Or it could be a political shonen.  With the large number of characters in each game, exclusive weapons,special moves , and characters being one man armies feels like an appropriate fit  This way most of the characters can have a moment to shine.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

I'm going be the dissenting opinion and say that an FE anime shouldn't happen. Not because it's not time for it, but because Fire Emblem really wouldn't work as an anime in my opinion (unless they go whole-hog on an original story, but that has its own issues). FE's story and characters alone are just not strong enough to carry an anime adaptation by themselves. 

Since @Extrasolar brought it up, let's talk about the FE OVA and it's story and pacing shortcomings to illustrate my point.

Episode 1

Spoiler

-The first episode is a slow, badly-paced and badly-written mess. The sad part is that it could have actually been good and interesting, as there's a couple interesting but brief scenes in the episode that should have gotten way more focus, like the scene about the fall of Castle Altea in the beginning of the episode and the flashback to Cornelius's death. But the anime barely focuses on these, and instead instantly squanders what goodwill it might have earned by having Marth and Caeda spend a fourth of the episode's running time wandering around Talys doing nothing of interest. Even this could have been good relationship development for the two, but it's ruined by the fact that most of said wandering is a montage. Said pointlessness is followed up by a discussion regarding the Talys nobles being worried that Marth will bring Dolhr's ire down on them, but said discussion goes absolutely nowhere and isn't relevant to the overall plot. Finally, the question of "will Marth and co. leave to retake Altea?" is brought up, but it is also completely pointless because there was never any question that Marth and co. would go to retake Altea due to the nature of the adaptation. And then we get to the actual beginning of the game over fifteen minutes into the episode, leaving a meager ten minutes to deal with the actual events of the first chapter...only four of which is actually spent on the fight that acts as a stand-in for the gameplay, while the rest of the time is spent on unnecessary dramatics regarding Marth's leaving and flashbacks. Most of this pointless filler is the result of the problem inherent in FE; that chapters generally do not have enough content to fill an episode's worth of running time.

Episode 2

Spoiler

-The second episode is better but still not good by any means. It focuses on something that the game only needed to tell the player--that Julian was a member of the Soothsires, but fell in love with Lena who they kidnapped and double-crossed the gang to rescue her--without actually expanding on it in a way that makes it worth telling. More interesting things like the flashbacks to Ogma and Navarre's pasts and the building up of Ogma and Navarre as foils and rivals are completely overshadowed by the amount of time spent and Julian and Lena's underdeveloped romance and a bunch of pointless scenes involving the Soothsires, who are just flatly evil bandits, and the people of Garuda, who just exist to exposit to Marth. No one, not even the focus characters of the episode, get anything in the way of characterization that wasn't already established in a handful of lines in-game. The lack of content per chapter becomes even more obvious in this episode, because Chapters 2 and 3 are both adapted in this episode...except Chapter 2's events are glossed over in the span of a few minutes, basically just to keep the plot rolling by giving Marth and company information on the Soothsires and Lena's kidnapping.

43 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

I'm going be the dissenting opinion and say that an FE anime shouldn't happen. Not because it's not time for it, but because Fire Emblem really wouldn't work as an anime in my opinion (unless they go whole-hog on an original story, but that has its own issues). FE's story and characters alone are just not strong enough to carry an anime adaptation by themselves. 

Since @Extrasolar brought it up, let's talk about the FE OVA and it's story and pacing shortcomings to illustrate my point.

Episode 1

Hide contents

-The first episode is a slow, badly-paced and badly-written mess. The sad part is that it could have actually been good and interesting, as there's a couple interesting but brief scenes in the episode that should have gotten way more focus, like the scene about the fall of Castle Altea in the beginning of the episode and the flashback to Cornelius's death. But the anime barely focuses on these, and instead instantly squanders what goodwill it might have earned by having Marth and Caeda spend a fourth of the episode's running time wandering around Talys doing nothing of interest. Even this could have been good relationship development for the two, but it's ruined by the fact that most of said wandering is a montage. Said pointlessness is followed up by a discussion regarding the Talys nobles being worried that Marth will bring Dolhr's ire down on them, but said discussion goes absolutely nowhere and isn't relevant to the overall plot. Finally, the question of "will Marth and co. leave to retake Altea?" is brought up, but it is also completely pointless because there was never any question that Marth and co. would go to retake Altea due to the nature of the adaptation. And then we get to the actual beginning of the game over fifteen minutes into the episode, leaving a meager ten minutes to deal with the actual events of the first chapter...only four of which is actually spent on the fight that acts as a stand-in for the gameplay, while the rest of the time is spent on unnecessary dramatics regarding Marth's leaving and flashbacks. Most of this pointless filler is the result of the problem inherent in FE; that chapters generally do not have enough content to fill an episode's worth of running time.

Episode 2

Hide contents

-The second episode is better but still not good by any means. It focuses on something that the game only needed to tell the player--that Julian was a member of the Soothsires, but fell in love with Lena who they kidnapped and double-crossed the gang to rescue her--without actually expanding on it in a way that makes it worth telling. More interesting things like the flashbacks to Ogma and Navarre's pasts and the building up of Ogma and Navarre as foils and rivals are completely overshadowed by the amount of time spent and Julian and Lena's underdeveloped romance and a bunch of pointless scenes involving the Soothsires, who are just flatly evil bandits, and the people of Garuda, who just exist to exposit to Marth. No one, not even the focus characters of the episode, get anything in the way of characterization that wasn't already established in a handful of lines in-game. The lack of content per chapter becomes even more obvious in this episode, because Chapters 2 and 3 are both adapted in this episode...except Chapter 2's events are glossed over in the span of a few minutes, basically just to keep the plot rolling by giving Marth and company information on the Soothsires and Lena's kidnapping.

I somewhat agree. On one hand, yes, the Fire Emblem OVA was really lackluster. On the other hand, i feel that in the right hands, a proper Fire Emblem could work. I think the best thing for them to do would be to take one of the several FE mangas (preferably these three mangas, as i feel that they tell their respective stories the best) and adapt them into an anime.

Coming up with an original plot for a Fire Emblem anime might be tough. On the flip side, it lets the writers actually kill off characters. Because if it's an original story, no one knows what to expect. Whereas if an FE anime adapts an existing story, then we know that everyone from the playable cast will survive, assuming the game didn't give them a scripted death.

The original Berserk anime might as well be a Fire Emblem anime with better writing than Fire Emblem .

If they were to make one, they would need to have a balance of the action scenes and quiet character moments. A game has battles all the time for gameplay but a story you watch can't be constant action.

8 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

I saw this on Reddit too, but I didn't reply because I don't have an account, some people there scare me out of it...

I started the thread on reddit, and was like! I would prob get some better reply's on Serenes Forest haha. And people here have been bringing up some great points, for the anime, and even people, not for the anime. I love a good debate :)

I do feel a new story would give them more room to make a solid story, that could even lead into other games, depending on the world they pick. its a lot of think over, but a cool idea.

Edited by Espiritu

2 hours ago, Espiritu said:

I started the thread on reddit, and was like! I would prob get some better reply's on Serenes Forest haha. And people here have been bringing up some great points, for the anime, and even people, not for the anime. I love a good debate :)

I do feel a new story would give them more room to make a solid story, that could even lead into other games, depending on the world they pick. its a lot of think over, but a cool idea.

A new story? Hmm...while not really new, what if they created an anime about Anri? You know, Marth's ancestor?

Obviously there are a few flaws in this, like, would it be entertaining enough? I'd watch it though...and buy it in blu-ray...

1 hour ago, Lautsuu said:

A new story? Hmm...while not really new, what if they created an anime about Anri? You know, Marth's ancestor?

Obviously there are a few flaws in this, like, would it be entertaining enough? I'd watch it though...and buy it in blu-ray...

As long as the story was good I think a lot would watch it, I sure as hell would. I mean far worse anime get 2nd seasons haha.

Last year, I might have said no; despite a large number of people liking the Warcraft film and the Assassin's Creed movie, critics spat on both of them just because they were video game adaptations (read some of the reviews, and you'll see immense bias). But then I saw the Castlevania show, saw that, in my opinion, it was quite good, and then saw that people gave it largely positive reviews with almost no one bashing it for being a video game adaptation.

Honestly, a Fire Emblem anime could be very good, so long as the people making it actually care about what they're making. Path of Radiance in particular would be pretty good for this. Fire Emblem does have a huge cast, but it wouldn't be too hard to balance them, especially since the base conversations and supports help give a sense of how they should ideally be balanced.

10 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

This might be interesting. The question would be if they should make it before or after an anime about Marth.

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Last year, I might have said no; despite a large number of people liking the Warcraft film and the Assassin's Creed movie, critics spat on both of them just because they were video game adaptations (read some of the reviews, and you'll see immense bias). But then I saw the Castlevania show, saw that, in my opinion, it was quite good, and then saw that people gave it largely positive reviews with almost no one bashing it for being a video game adaptation.

Honestly, a Fire Emblem anime could be very good, so long as the people making it actually care about what they're making. Path of Radiance in particular would be pretty good for this. Fire Emblem does have a huge cast, but it wouldn't be too hard to balance them, especially since the base conversations and supports help give a sense of how they should ideally be balanced.

This might be interesting. The question would be if they should make it before or after an anime about Marth.

A PoR anime would be great, then they could adapt RD. Another one which would be good would be Blazing Blade. Simple story, and they could really flesh out the likes of the Reed family and the Cornwells.

Well, I'll never say no to a Marth anime, it could literally be Marth watching paint dry and I'd still watch it. But yeah, Anri after Marth would be great, because then they could leave little hints and stuff.

I liked the OVA. I’m no critic and I liked the OVA. I didn’t like that it got cancelled after only two episodes. I would like if there was a FE anime.
I’d prefer a FE anime to retell the game(s), any game(s) above the original stories.

21 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I liked the OVA. I’m no critic and I liked the OVA. I didn’t like that it got cancelled after only two episodes. I would like if there was a FE anime.
I’d prefer a FE anime to retell the game(s), any game(s) above the original stories.

If they do an anime they rely need to stick with it till the end, other wise it will hurt the games more then help :/

I do think that if they were to do an FE anime, focusing on stories we've never gotten(Say, Anri's story, the dragons teaming up with humans to take down Galle, Athos and pals during the Scouring, Dheginsea and the others defeating Yune, the First Exalt) would potentially be a great direction. A lot of people want whole games based around these, and I always felt like new games would be the wrong place for these stories. But an anime would be perfect. 

Trying to make a wholly original story might feel a bit detached from FE, and retelling an already told story will probably just alienate people. Telling one of the legends of previous games gives them an in-between, where they have enough flexibility that it'd basically be an original story, but still rooted in the franchise. 

Edited by Slumber

I don't think it would be practical to have a FE animated series, because the franchise is constantly changing its cast and setting. By the time a decent product would be ready, we'd already be on the next game.